Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 20:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
As a generation 2 Wagon-R owner, I sincerely hope MSIL does a good job with this facelift. A good frugal diesel engine would defintely set the charts on fire (not that the current model is doing bad now).
Facelifts rarely get an engine change. At the max, they will tweak the existing engine. They cannot afford to re-design the car for a mid life facelift and there is NO need when the model is doing well. We all know that a Diesel eengine under the hood of a petrol car will require extensive re-design & testing before it hits the road.

Now add to it, Maruti doesn't have own diesel engine & it has to get the license to tweak the 1.3L MJD. On the other hand, they can ask GM for the 3 pot 1L version, but its common sense that GM will never commit suicide by giving it on Wagon R which sure will beat the s&*t out of Beat D!

So we will have to wait till the next gen Wagon R for a diesel & it might ccome if Suzuki manages to make an 800 cc diesel engine as rumoured!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th January 2013 at 20:33.
Old 7th January 2013, 21:38   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2013 Maruti WagonR Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Now add to it, Maruti doesn't have own diesel engine & it has to get the license to tweak the 1.3L MJD. On the other hand, they can ask GM for the 3 pot 1L version, but its common sense that GM will never commit suicide by giving it on Wagon R which sure will beat the s&*t out of Beat D!

So we will have to wait till the next gen Wagon R for a diesel & it might ccome if Suzuki manages to make an 800 cc diesel engine as rumoured!
Apart from the price point aren't the buyers from Wagon R different to Beat D. Once the diesel Wagon R comes out, it will be an interesting battle.
Old 7th January 2013, 22:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

Apart from the price point aren't the buyers from Wagon R different to Beat D. Once the diesel Wagon R comes out, it will be an interesting battle.
If a 500 number cross shopping happens, that itself will be a massive hit for the Beat as it is not doing stunning numbers. And Wagon R has more space, better seating position, Maruti A$$; things can only go bad for Beat D! :-) But there will be still that bunch who prefer the sporty Beat over Wagon R.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th January 2013 at 22:04.
Old 7th January 2013, 22:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

^^^ But is the Diesel Beat beater arriving that soon? If so then a battle royal it would be.
Old 7th January 2013, 22:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
^^^ But is the Diesel Beat beater arriving that soon? If so then a battle royal it would be.
I would not expect it atleast for two years! There is still no confirmation on the 800 cc diesel motor. Once it comes, its almost end of life for Wagon R. So they will design the next gen Wagon R with diesel engine which will hit the roads after 1 year of testing (more testing expected since this will be Maruti's first diesel). All this will roughly translate to 2-3 years atleast.
Old 7th January 2013, 22:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

The current gen Wagon R to the world is the Splash aka Ritz in India. So rather than killing WagonR (Maruti has slaughtered only the Zen uptill now) Maruti would facelift WR like they did in Japan.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:52   #37
BHPian

It seems the all-new 2013 WagonR is all set to roll out by mid-January. I came to know about this from my cousin working for a dealer in MGP division who said that they have started accepting bookings. And when I searched this is what I found. But no other details about the facelift.

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...tarts-9505.htm
Old 12th January 2013, 21:12   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Wagon R facelift revealed.

The refreshed WagonR gets a long list of exterior and interior upgrades. Exterior wise, the grille is narrower than the current car and now comes with a single horizontal slab. The bumper is also all-new with a larger air-dam and re-designed fog lamp housings. The overall design of the front bumper now mimics styling seen in newer Maruti offerings such as the Ertiga and the Swift Dzire. The LXI and VXI trim levels get chrome-trim as well. All these styling changes give the WagonR a more up-market look.

The interiors also are thoroughly refreshed. The dashboard now comes in a dual-tone shade of beige for the top-half and black for the bottom part. The LX and LXI get dual-colour seats while the top-end VXI gets beige seats. Higher variants get a new “Eagle Wings” audio with USB too.

Prices to be revealed next week.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/328...-revealed.aspx
Old 12th January 2013, 21:36   #39
Team-BHP Support

Wonder why they dont want to launch an automatic version! Transmission can be borrowed from the A-star anyway. That would make for a perfect city car, given the WagonR's slab sided design and generous glass area.
Old 12th January 2013, 22:32   #40
BANNED

Source: http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...-revealed/3495

"The change isn’t purely cosmetic, hints Maruti Suzuki, as the upper section of the grille has been designed to reduce wind noise.'

"The audio system has been upgraded too and gets feather-touch switches and USB compatibility. The left hand side of the dashboard also gets a new, push-type storage compartment. The inside rear-view mirror now gets the much needed Day-Night notch."

"The engine, however, is now OBD-II (On-board Diagnostics) compliant, which allows the service station to detect engine-related problems faster."

And a price hike is most likely, IMO. Because Maruti is said to be readying the Alto1000, which will most likely to eat into the WR pie even more than the Alto800. So, Maruti may want to differentiate these two cars and price it more apart.
Old 12th January 2013, 23:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Here are the facelifted Wagon R pictures

2013 Maruti WagonR Facelift-0_468_700_http___i_haymarket_net_au_extraimages_20130113020723_new-wagon-r-front.jpg

2013 Maruti WagonR Facelift-0_468_700_http___i_haymarket_net_au_extraimages_20130113020539_new-wagon-r-plush-interiors.jpg

2013 Maruti WagonR Facelift-0_468_700_http___i_haymarket_net_au_extraimages_20130113020628_new-wagon-r-dash-panel.jpg

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/328...-revealed.aspx
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 02:30   #42

Wow! It looks nice and better than before. Knew this was coming as Wagon-R was one of the few cars in the Indian market which didn't have beige interiors. Though good in quality the dark interior shade of Wagon-R made it a bit claustrophobic inside which didn't help the fact that it's indeed a narrow car inside. The beige in all the right places makes it feel airy and a bit more classy or rich as Indians would like . Maruti has carefully avoided beige in critical places like on top dash (reflects on windshield), on Music/AC controls, glovebox, doors and other touchpoints which get easily dirty otherwise. Wish GM learns and applies this to Sail U-VA and its upcoming sedan (heck even the steering is not black ).
On the outside Maruti have again done just well enough to make this boxy design likable to most Indians. Guess this is all Wagon-R needs to get back to doing 12-15k monthly sales till the time Maruti finish work on that much expected diesel avatar.
Old 13th January 2013, 09:33   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

One problem with the beige maruti offers in low end cars is that, they are not finished well. Compared to the Estilo and the WagonR, we can see a difference in the quality of plastics. That is one major let down when we TD'ed the estilo. Beige plastics must have a good feel to it, which it lacked. I hope the same is not with the WagonR now. I dont think that the current interiors look claustrophobic. Only the bottom half is black and the other bits are of a very light colour. Also adding to it the all round windows, the interiors feel airy. The way the graphic artists do their job on the brochure images is way better than it actually looks.

And BTW, aren't all BS4 cars from Maruti OBD-II compliant by default? Especially the K-series engines. I remember an SA using a different tool for my wagonR compared to the older models.
Old 13th January 2013, 10:31   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Wonder why they dont want to launch an automatic version! Transmission can be borrowed from the A-star anyway. That would make for a perfect city car, given the WagonR's slab sided design and generous glass area.
Actually I have heard that this facelift may be accompanied with an AT variant.

I am hoping so too.

The WagonR AT makes the most sense since it's more practical for a family than the A-star AT. At the same time price maybe more than A-star.
Old 13th January 2013, 12:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually I have heard that this facelift may be accompanied with an AT variant.

I am hoping so too.

The WagonR AT makes the most sense since it's more practical for a family than the A-star AT. At the same time price maybe more than A-star.
Even at a premium of 25k, the presence of Wagon R AT would be the final nail in the coffin for A-Star. Considering the resale value difference between the two cars, Wagon R AT would eat up most of the potential A-Star AT customers even with a premium on WR.

It remains to be seen whether Maruti would like to keep A-Star in ventilator by delaying Wagon R AT launch or capture a sizable chunk of the AT marketshare from i10 and Brio with a Wagon R AT and let the A-Star succumb to its fate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks