Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2006, 00:39   #61
Senior - BHPian

Dicor handles fairly better than the old Scorpio without doubts but my latest experience has been slightly nerve wrecking...After driving a diesel'ed Gypsy for ~400+kms I shifted to dicor, I suddenly felt like its 2 pieces attached together! The front and rear would behave differently...but thats my opinion and it might not hold lot of value as Im an entrant to SUV class. Innova on the other hand was extremely comforting...precise steering, feels like one piece, less body roll and felt more powerful. I dont consider both Dicor and Innova to be "OFFROADER'S" as such coz both are bulky and hard to maneuver in terrain. My pick on real offroading experience would simply be a Mahindra CJ, MM series or Bolero but Gurkha or Judo would be unbeatable considering their built and shape.

Now, taking into account a mumbai type life style and number of opportunities to go mudroading I would recommend a Hyundai Tuscon...have heard some great reviews on this machine. Suppose to be tad underpowered but we all know how to change the meow into GRRR...

Pajero isnt a bad choice...
Old 1st June 2006, 07:23   #62
BHPian

Our version of the Humvee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
The Nissan Murano and our very own Tempo Trax Gurkha and Judo are the ones that come foremost to my mind..

Check out the following link..

http://www.force4x4.com/welcome.html

The owner of the website is a TBHPian himself..

Manish
If they could slap some great trim, leather seats or something like a DC kit onto the Judo, with ABS, we may have a luxury genuine off-roader.. Was quite impressed by its off road capabilities looking at the video! The figures for the bhp and torque sounded low though, but i guess the proof of it is in actual driving..
Old 14th June 2006, 19:45   #63
BHPian

Gave my Judo a few goodies

Hi all,

I took my Judo 4x4 to Koyas Coimbatore. Threw away all the 3 rows of old seat frames, seats etc.

Got it sound proofed by adding a few layers of sound absorbing material.

Got new front bucket seats with arm rests.

Moved the rear seat 3 inches back to provide more leg room to the rear passengers.

Got the following meters custom made from Pricol Coimbatore.

0-6000 rpm RPM meter
Pyrometer (exhaust Gas Temp meter)
Oil Pressure meter
Engine hour meter
-80-0-+80 Ammeter
Analog clock

The vehicle is very cushy and plush inside, now.

In my opinion the Judo 4x4 is an excellent vehicle. The performance of the TC/IC/OM616 gives it very good onroad performance and the difflocks and synchronized Auxilliary gear box gives it "EXCELLENT" off road performance.

The rough edges can be smoothened out by people like Koyas.

It is really sad that such a good product is not being projected properly by the company.

I can post some pictures of the interiors if you want.

Rangaraj-> Even though it is only 99Bhp engine, the power band of the engine is very wide ( for a diesel engine). It starts producing usable power @ 1500 rpm and keeps producing power till 4000 rpm. That makes the engine behave very well on the high way. I have done 130 Kmph on Mysore - Bangalore higway with still 25% of throttle left.

It is definetely not the fastest SUV on the road. but very good for it's price and off-road performance.

Ram

www.db2-dba.net
www.force4x4.com

Last edited by rrnsss : 14th June 2006 at 19:51.
Old 15th June 2006, 07:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Can we see some pics?
Old 15th June 2006, 08:38   #65
Team-BHP Support

DC actually did a good redesign of the trax - only issue was the exhaust sustem hanging out
Old 15th June 2006, 09:29   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss
I can post some pictures of the interiors if you want.
Would love to see.... post soon.

BTW, what it total cost of vehicle + mods that you have done... a friend of mine is contemplating to buy a SUV and this looks like a very good alternative.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 15th June 2006 at 09:34.
Old 15th June 2006, 13:47   #67
BHPian

I will post the pictures in a day's time.

price of the vehicle with the OM616 TC/IC IDI diesel engine, 4x4, difflocks, Powersteering, A/C - 6.5 Lakhs (excluding tax and regn)

Music system - .14 Lakhs

5 MRF sand grip 7.50x16 offroad tyres - .22 Lakhs

Koyas Mods - .35 Lakhs

Meter Mods - .1 Lakhs

Ram

www.db2-dba.net
www.force4x4.com
Old 15th June 2006, 13:51   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
DC actually did a good redesign of the trax - only issue was the exhaust sustem hanging out

Hi,

actually in my car, the exhaust system carefully follows the chassis and is neatly tucked underneath. But in normal 2wd vehicles, the exhaust does hang down and scrape the ground if you are in tough terrain.

Ram
www.db2-dba.net
www.force4x4.com
Old 15th June 2006, 13:53   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss
I
Koyas Mods - .35 Lakhs

Meter Mods - .1 Lakhs
WOW. You got the interiors done up for .5 lakhs? Please post some pics - this looks like a really nice option for serious offroaders who also want some creature comforts.

What about the panels? From what I've seen (normal Trax, not Judo/Gurkha) the body isnt very well put together, the doors dont shut properly, welding is patchy and tends to come off et al. Have you faced these issues, and if yes have these been sorted out?

Nice engine!
Old 16th June 2006, 20:33   #70
sjs

When there isnt a perfect man, perfect woman, perfect boss, perfect employee, its a bit unrealistic to expect a perfect SUV - no ?

Seriously of the alternatives available in India (produced in India) I think the Tucson is a very neat option. It has smart looks if you dont mind the relatively reduced length (great for parking amongst SUV's), far better fuel consumption than CRV, its nearest rival and it runs on diesel, great interiors (CRV is marginally better I think and isnt parked every fiftenn meters like the popular Honda bird.

I think its good value even at the price.

Of the Indian (desi) manufacturers only Scorpio and Tata count and Tata has great quality issues and the Scorpio has a bit of a rural image and has less than plush interiors when compared to the two Japanese vehicles.

Endeavour is great of size is your style. It looks a real American SUV and the spare wheel, ladder and carrier trims look great on it. Lacks the comfort of the japanese vehicles and the plushness of the interiors.

So. Endeavour for size and 'manliness' if you will at the cost of plush interiors and sedanlike ride, CRV for plushness and luxury at the cost of fuel efficiency and effect on bank balance one-time as well as ongoing, tata for writing 'mera Bharat Mahan' on it but add OK, TaTa, Bye Bye to match the truck like quality Tata vehicles finally end up within short time, Scorpio for most positive attributes except a bit of rough ride and very high sound levels in the cabin.

I would settle for a Tuscon (not perfect as I said) but fairly good overall with goodlooking interiors and greatlooking exteriors, ride comfort and sedanlike driving experience at the cost of size and resultant 'manhood' connotations
Old 16th June 2006, 21:35   #71
Senior - BHPian

Guess I have to agree with you there, sjs. The Tuscon has everything an SUV needs.
Old 16th June 2006, 22:27   #72
BHPian

Hello,

I have posted a few pictures of the work I got done at Koyas Coimbatore.

They do excellent work.

They altered my seat frames so that I could literally slide it back past the rear window.

http://force4x4.com/gallery/index.ph...HA&spgmFilters=

click on the upholstery folder.

you can go to www.force4x4.com/gallery to see my wildlife pictures.

As of the best SUV , I am yet to see a 4x4 in the indian market that can match the offroad performance of the JUDO/GURKHA.

There are a lot of luxury 4wd that might offer fancy gadgets and make a fashion statement... but when you want to put the thing to work, and go anywhere you wish in the forest, I see no match for the JUDO/GURKHA.

Ram

www.db2-dba.net
www.force4x4.com

Last edited by rrnsss : 16th June 2006 at 22:39.
Old 17th June 2006, 01:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rrnsss]
I have posted a few pictures of the work I got done at Koyas Coimbatore.

They do excellent work. [/center]

Sorry to say that I was less than impressed with their choice of colour. The exposed linkages on the rear fold-down armrest also dont inspire a lot of confidence. Overall I'm still VERY disappointed with the Judo/Gurkha's very basic interiors that I saw in some of the other pictures you posted. It may have a great engine and some good off-roadability and stuff like that, but there are some very basic MINIMUM standards expected of a vehicle these days and the Gurkha/Judo falls short by long.

This is not the perfect SUV. A very versatile UV maybe, but definitely not an SUV.
Old 17th June 2006, 10:31   #74
Team-BHP Support

....and it is a copy of the G wagen, OM616 excepted and some vague visual similarity excluded, it has nothing in common, not based on it at all
Old 17th June 2006, 21:57   #75
BHPian

I guess, to each his own... to me what is more important is when I go offroad, I need a vehicle that I can depend upon, and not one that just looks pretty.......

And as of the colours, I like it...again to each his own...

If you ask me , I would not trade this vehicle for anything else.... may be a unimog ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks