Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 20:03   #31
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: June 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

A Blood Bath if there was one.

TATA looking like it could go down a couple of places more in the next few months. It was actually commendable that it retained the previous month numbers more or less. M&M infact did quite badly, the XUV, Xylo and scorpio going down quite steeply - The EcoSport cannot take all those numbers for sure so there are other factors. Bolero too slipping down. Hyundai has a neat performance from i10 and Eon both of which have only petrol variants.

Honda Amaze not shipping beyond 6K yet? It is not really taking the fight to the Dzire the way it was expected to? - even considering the capacity restrictions. It doesn't really appear to be a higher segment vehicle as claimed in it's making of" story brochure. It is appears to be from it's own category.
EcoSport can be expected to jump to big numbers over the next two months.
Duster Numbers in July and Aug will be worth observing.

Aria matched the Land Cruiser for Exclusivity 3 & 2 units shipped in the last two months. The Strome does not be going anywhere either - not on an exploration trip for sure.
Old 8th July 2013, 20:13   #32
BHPian

XUV, Quanto, Scorpio, Xylo, Sail Sedan, City and most importantly the Figo have seen drastic downfall according to the 'Top Losers Chart' My feeling is its due to effect of Ecosport. Duster and i20 also seen some drop.

June 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-148582.jpg

Tat Aria sales in recent months : 52, 4, 13, 8, 3, 2.
What is that?? I think their publicity expenses are much bigger than the margins they are getting by such a low sell.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th July 2013 at 20:14.
Old 8th July 2013, 21:26   #33
BHPian

One Manufacturer who needs to be worried is M&M. The quick win products seem to have seen their true value. Their entire product line has suffered, including the imported (not produced by M&M team) Rexton sees a sharp decline. The XUV really settling down to numbers its quality and pricing fit it. M&M should stop testing on the customers and think about product before profit.

Ecosport starts on a good note, clearly stepping into many markets at the same, Duster clearly, also others like the City. I am not surprised that EcoSport has stepped into City market, reason, well not everybody wants a 500 Ltr bootspace the City has. Its a urban vehicle and urban families are increasing becoming smaller, so the 5th person not comfortable is not a deal breaker for urban Indians. 300 Ltr seems to do the job just fine. I am hearing City prospective guys visiting Ford showrooms. The SUV dust seems to be settling into something that can be made sense of. The Nissan avatar will surely see some adjustments I do not see if it can move customers from other segments, but that's beyond the point.
Maruthi needs to think on their product line, clearly. The old horses are slowly loosing shine. The Ertiga selling as much as the Innova, not good, as these are not the numbers Innova did. Its a worry for the big T.

Chevrolet is like an also ran, nothing to write home about. Only TATA can afford to burn money hoping to turn the company around.
Hyundai Verna seems to be moving towards its average. Vento is the one consistent performer for the numbers its been making. Suits its segment.
Over all this month seems to be indicative of one thing, its a equalizer month, all cars are seem to be reaching their averages. Disruption from the Amaze is done and EcoSport dust might settle down sooner than expected as Ford is not going to maintain their momentum with a 9 month waiting period they quote.

Monsoon months this time is a challenge, both for customer and manufacturers. Manufacturers are running neck deep on the offers already (see the VW ad on the Vento and Polo today), rising rupee worries and non deterring interest rates. Buyers are facing uncertain economic times, high interest rates, slowing urban job opportunities (check the placements in Engg collages this year v/s last two years) and for the enthusiasts and the more informed ones the lure of the new launches the Nissan, Jazz, Octavia and in a while the City.

Big T, you can't sell timed products for a long time, now matter how good the Q is. Look at your fellow countryman, Honda. VFM does not mean cheap, this month is an indicative. Costlier cars seem to sell at consistent numbers than their cheaper counterparts.

An affect of all these factors seems to have had positive impact one one segment, the used car segment. I hear the deals for sellers is getting better as more people are prefering a used car of a higher segment than a new car from a segment they want to buy at. For instance, I know of a recent deal with a friend who went for a used City than a new Swift, simply because he wanted the Market to settle down with all the new releases in a couple of years, when he will replace the City with a new car. Not, sure if you can ever time the market, but the deal on the City was better than a few months ago.Every time I go into a car showroom, the guys are interested in buying my current car than selling their new ones. Organized re-sale market maybe has a better margin I do not know.
man_and_machine is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 21:35   #34
BHPian

Is the number for the Verito inclusive of the sales of the Verito Vibe?
Old 8th July 2013, 21:45   #35
BHPian

Shouldn't the Ecosport be classified in the C1 segment instead of C2?Cars like the Sunny,Etios which are pricier and larger are classified as C1,it's in the segment as the Safari+Storme.
It could also be termed as B2 SUV

I think Honda are giving preference to its other models such as Brio,City to utilise their capacity(maybe they make larger margins) instead of the Amaze.
XUV's decline could also be attributed to M&M holding its production for the new low GC version.

Thanks parrys for the great compilation but with all due respect I miss GTO and his write-ups on these analysis'.
Old 8th July 2013, 22:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
Thanks for this, very insightful.

Am i right in assuming this is only 5 days of data for Ecosport? Since it launched on the 26th? Or are pre-launch booking numbers included? Not sure what the shift there would be, i guess most would have booked post launch?
These are not actual sales. The data presented here is basically the cars transferred from the manufacturer to the dealers / exports from India.

Though for Ecosport - this represents the total volume moved from Ford plant to its dealers across India in the month of June 2013. I am sure there would not be any exports as the Indian demand is more than supply.

Trust this clarifies.

Last edited by i74js : 8th July 2013 at 22:07.
Old 8th July 2013, 22:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Shouldn't the Ecosport be classified in the C1 segment instead of C2?Cars like the Sunny,Etios which are pricier and larger are classified as C1,it's in the segment as the Safari+Storme.
It could also be termed as B2 SUV
Now that you've pointed it out, since the car is both less than 4m long and has an engine of less than 1.6 Ltrs capacity, it should be in C1 as per this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2451729

Old 8th July 2013, 22:57   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The sales figures continue to throw surprises.
Believe Mahindra and Mahindra has seen a very bad month and its Mahindra Rise and Rise formula reads as Mahindra Fall and Free Fall, at least if we go by the June figures. But for the Verito and the Thar, all others show an alarmingly negative growth.The harsh Union budget coupled with the introduction of the Ecosport, the "never can do any wrong" (at least for now) Duster and the rising diesel prices are all playing spoilsport. Added to the woes are the nagging problems that have seen the XUV 500 report sales lower than even the Fortuner, which costs nearly 80 % more than the former. The Quanto and the Xylo have less takers and are destined to see more bad days.The Quanto has been made to be compatible with the budget norms, while the Xylo was introduced in 2009 to compete with the Innova. Both the experiments have fared miserably.The Bolero and the Scorpio still see some demand, though much lower. Mahindra needs to at the earliest introduce a NewGen sub 1500cc SUV, to take on the new "Johnny come latelys".
Maruti has now the realistic placement of the Alto @ # 1 followed by the Swift and so on. The DZire is not a car that can be consistent at # 1 as was shown last month.The top 4 slots are for MSIL.The i 10 rightfully steps in at # 5.
Maruti and Hyundai are unbeatable at #'s 1 and 2 with their "made for the people" product range!
Tata Motors gets accustomed to its # 4 position after Mahindra.The sales of the Nano that has nearly doubled as compared to May 2013 is no encouraging sign, as the Nano sales are like a pogo stick - it may again sell 1000 units or less in July.
Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chevrolet and Renault behind Tata Motors, are giving predatory looks to Tata and Mahindra, as both are facing tough times with their product range.These five companies have at least a winner each in their range (Innova (sells more than the Duster), Amaze, Ecosport, Enjoy and Duster respectively) that are expected to change the rules of the game for the company.
The fuel story which is a good revelation shows that diesel is still the most preferred fuel for buyers of all cars with a diesel variant, but for the sole exception that is i 20.
Skoda,Fiat and HM Mitsubishi are perennial laggards, with no hopes of going anywhere, being on roads to nowhere. Not sure how their top bosses feel?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th July 2013 at 23:01.
Old 8th July 2013, 23:43   #39

brilliant analysis.

has the ecosport footfall into the ford showrooms transformed the fortunes of new fiesta?

Is the tjet working for linea numbers?

I feel that the ecosport has a potential to move into the top five as it can satisfy a large variety of enthusiasts with a great price band. however can we trust ford with such a car??????????
Old 9th July 2013, 00:06   #40
BHPian

I am actually happy to see FIAT climbing back towards 700-800 mark. Initially I thought that this might be the effect of Linea TJet but then noticed that it is actually Punto's sale that has increased.
Old 9th July 2013, 00:24   #41

[quote=man_and_machine;3173051]One Manufacturer who needs to be worried is M&M. The quick win products seem to have seen their true value. Their entire product line has suffered, including the imported (not produced by M&M team) Rexton sees a sharp decline. The XUV really settling down to numbers its quality and pricing fit it. M&M should stop testing on the customers and think about product before profit.

I completely agree on this observation , surely after Tata its M&M turn to pull up its socks if it wants to stay in this competetion .. Everyone has been whipping Tata motors for its low sales figures but it is very difficult to sell cars in this highly competetive market .... Tata`s entire passenger car range namely Indica , Indigo , Vista and Manza have very fierce competetors which wasn`t the case few years back ...
With just 2 products name Duster and now Ford Ecosport in the market , XUV sales have gone down from 3700+ to 1300+ units per month. M&M should concentrate more on improving the XUV notebly its ride and handling package and Brakes , rather than adding more gizmos or launching a cheaper variant.
Old 9th July 2013, 01:43   #42
BHPian

You know if there is one car that I really miss in this whole sales line up, that's the Civic. For what it was. Its far better in its old cloths than most of the new, cheesy, just made to sell, cars. If the Corolla, the Elantra and the Cruze can make 150+ numbers, the Civic (albiet, with a little discount) could still have been a real car to buy. Seriously, what car will you buy and still enjoy driving it each time at 13+ L, save the civic? I know it was chocking the already full Honda Assembly line, but I still miss it from the sales figures. Hoping sincerely that they do not bring the new model that pokes fun at itself. With inclination to towards petrol increasing, we need the civic back, may be with that Turbo Petrol? Any takers?
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 01:44   #43
BHPian

Phenomenal job Parrys. These are interesting numbers.

1. Honda City keeps on going in a sine wave. Do they manipulate the numbers to even out the overall sales?
2. The gap between Corolla and Elantra keeps on diminishing. Does it mean the Elantra has started loosing its charm in the market?
3. Some petrol cars are overselling their diesel counterparts. Does that mean petrol vehicles are crawling their way back into the market?
Old 9th July 2013, 03:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

What is happening with Ritz? I thought it is the flagship model for Maruti along with Swift and Dzire. the sales plunged to a low of 2551 during may 2013 and june shows only a slight relief of 3250 numbers. dealers have surplus stocks of Ritz and it is not moving as expected? is this a sign of permanent downward spiral for Ritz, wondering.

Last edited by deepclutch : 9th July 2013 at 03:25.
Old 9th July 2013, 08:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Although one month's data is nowhere near enough to see where the EcoSport is gaining numbers from, it is interesting the note that City, Verna numbers have been hit, along with Duster. And Figo as well. Premium hatchbacks do not seem to have taken a big hit yet - very slight decline is seen in i20 numbers this month and there is an increase in Swift/Polo/Micra and even Punto numbers.

I guess this is to be expected since the pricing+features comparison puts the EcoSport more in contention with C-segment sedans than premium hatchbacks. I'm not sure if this can be good for EcoSport in the long run, because space-wise I think C-segment sedans win the battle with EcoSport. Then there's the 3-box car v/s (small) SUV thing, which may just come down to personal preference and may not always go EcoSport's way. Still, 4K+ is very good numbers for a car whose top models costs 10L+ OTR in most places. I guess the EcoSport can eventually settle at around 5K numbers because that it what the biggest sellers among C2-segment sedans do in our market.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks