Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2013, 10:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Terrano Unveiled : To be launched in early October

The Terrano is a pure badge-engineerd product. It was wasteful to expect a 4X4 or an Auto transmission (even as an option) on the Duster's smarter looking sibling.

What I don't understand is the hoopla over the extra 50-70k for the Terrano. It's a better looking Duster after all! People pay all sorts of money to get their cars modified with body kits, accessories and bling here or there. The Terrano is basically just that - a modified, fresher looking body kit for the Duster directly from the partner-manufacturer Nissan. Take it just as that, and you might just be able to justify the price tag.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 21st August 2013 at 10:37.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 12:22   #62

I believe it’s more about the fair value of the product. Perceived value plays a very important role in pricing. With the initial feedback, extra price may not be justified, but let’s wait for official team-bhp comprehensive review to re-access the value.

Mods looking forward for the offical review

Last edited by epranay : 21st August 2013 at 12:27.
Old 21st August 2013, 13:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Hmmmm. Exterior differences will obviously vary depending on buyer taste, to me it looks good, probably better looking than the Renault Duster. The interior is however, to me, a total let down and just changing 2 a/c vents and changing the design of the material covering the instrumentation panel plus putting a different head unit makes for very unappreciable upgrades.

The market response will soon let us know if Nissan excels or just made a fool of themselves (given the time they had and all the road testing they did for mere aesthetic changes)..
Old 21st August 2013, 13:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

So the Duster goes under the surgeon's knife. What started as a Dacia became a Renault, which in turn morphed into a Nissan!

Nissan have put their stamp on the Duster and how! The front end looks great and the rear is distinctive too. They could have done a bit more with the interiors considering that they are going to price it above the Duster.
Old 21st August 2013, 13:43   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ES, ANHC, T-Fort) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 13:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
The Terrano is a pure badge-engineerd product. It was wasteful to expect a 4X4 or an Auto transmission (even as an option) on the Duster's smarter looking sibling.
Question remains, what were they testing it so extensively for?
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 13:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

I'd agree with the general direction of posts on the thread. It sure does look better than the Duster, both inside and out, but for me the problem with the Duster was never it's looks. I loved the Duster as a package but at it's current price, it's overpriced and this is going to be even more expensive !

On the comparisons with the Ecosport, the only advantage I see the Duster / Terrano having is space for the 5th passenger, luggage and highway cruising, but they lose out on features big time.

If I had 15L and I really wanted an SUV, I'd go for the XUV. It has a bigger engine, more features and with all the improvements now, is pretty well engineered.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 21st August 2013 at 14:03.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 14:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

Only time will tell whether the car will have decent sales or not. Gut feeling says that it is a dud. But lets wait and watch. Overall I liked the car and it's interiors too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Was the car driven into the event straight from the stockyard without even giving it a wash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The rocks (mountain) seen behind blasted to make way for the Terrano to come out, hence the dust.
Then, people moving in and out of the car made the carpets dirty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
but left the C-Pillar untouched to reduce costs - leaving such inconsistent panel gaps.
These 3 points, I was about to put down, but then it has already been noticed by everyone. At-least they could have cleaned the car after the unveiling before letting the press in. Somehow first impression is the last impression, and it's already gone wrong for the car
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 16:35   #69
BHPian

The Terrano is 100% BAKWAS product. The Terrano interiors should have been the actual Duster Interiors for its price. Renault got greedy and priced the Duster than what actual it is. Again paying another 60 to 70 K over Duster does not make sense. Waste of Time and Resources.

Renault should have launched 4 x 4 / 4 x 2 Duster, with Terano Interiors at the current prices and also an Automatic option. At that price XUV AWD makes better sense now that Mahindra has almost ironed out the Bugs. Renault and Nissan should learn some lessons from VW how they launched Vento and Rapid.
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 17:25   #70
BANNED

Looks like Nissan have addressed most of the pathetic areas of the Duster like looks (front grille + lamps), rear lamp cluster, dash design and quality, door trims and handles, etc.

As discussed above, pricing would be the deciding factor.
Old 21st August 2013, 17:48   #71
BHPian

Nissan have simply taken a duster, added some more here and there, and badged it as Terrano. But, as this car is slightly better looking than duster, definitely it will be priced 50k-70k more than duster.

For duster itself, 14 lacs is too much for it's pathetic ergonomics, poor interior quality and plastics. Now 15 lacs for this product?? And, Why is Nissan not working on the ergonomics?

Couldn't find out the interior plastics quality properly from the pics, should check out in person and hope they justify the price this time.

No offense to any one, but in my opinion, it's better to take a mid variant of duster, give it to DC guys rather than buying top-end duster or this Terrano, as they are doing a much more wonderful job than Nissan. Check out a sample pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Terrano Unveiled : To be launched in early October-renaultdusterdcgalleryphoto4_640x480.jpg  

Last edited by madhav14 : 21st August 2013 at 17:49.
Old 21st August 2013, 18:16   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
No offense to any one, but in my opinion, it's better to take a mid variant of duster, give it to DC guys rather than buying top-end duster or this Terrano, as they are doing a much more wonderful job than Nissan. Check out a sample pic.
Wow!! Is that ugly or what!! Personally wouldn't go anywhere close to that with a bargepole!

No offence but different strokes for different folks I guess!

I think the exterior changes on the Terrano are a positive but they needed to do more on the insides. Would I pay more for this than the duster? No. What I would have paid more for would have been a stronger service setup from Nissan as that is one are where they can relatively easily differentiate from Renault - particularly given how thin the Renault network in India is.
Old 21st August 2013, 19:50   #73
BHPian

IMO comparing Ecosport with Duster/Terrano is not justified.
Why?? Simple, because you cant compare amaze with verna with cruze even though all are 5 seater. If the seating capability/ dimensions are the only criterion then the roadways bus should be most expensive vehicle on road.
But but there are certain 'Feel Good Factors' which actually justify the cars price tag. I mean, Ecosport has a certain visual aura, engineering finesse, safety gadgets, the complete package is available at price point which is not only justified but is rather value for money.
On the hand, Duster, though a great car on its own, simply doesnt justify its price tag. I Mean apart from dimension/space/ride there are very few things which pull the buyers heart strings especially at the price point it is available.
Conclusion
-SUVs of different segments/dimensions/price points are evolving in indian market at very fast pace and has confused Indian buyer a lot.
-To each, his own- Buy according to your requirement. Whether BOF 4x4 mud plugger, 7 seater, small but spacious, suv with gadgets and all. Use your grey matter.
-Duster/Terrano even in isolation dont justify their price point as a whole package.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 20:30   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
But but there are certain 'Feel Good Factors' which actually justify the cars price tag. I mean, Ecosport has a certain visual aura, engineering finesse, safety gadgets, the complete package is available at price point which is not only justified but is rather value for money.
On the hand, Duster, though a great car on its own, simply doesnt justify its price tag. I Mean apart from dimension/space/ride there are very few things which pull the buyers heart strings especially at the price point it is available.
Conclusion
-Duster/Terrano even in isolation dont justify their price point as a whole package.
I dont agree on this point. If that's the case Duster wouldn't register 3k+ units in a slump market even in July after EcoSport launch and Terrano waiting to launch. It does have a pull. And people are not buying just for the looks any more.

Last edited by HillMan : 21st August 2013 at 20:31.
Old 21st August 2013, 21:11   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
I dont agree on this point. If that's the case Duster wouldn't register 3k+ units in a slump market even in July after EcoSport launch and Terrano waiting to launch. It does have a pull. And people are not buying just for the looks any more.
It all depends upon competition and people' prefrences at a time point.
Earlier only suvs available were scorpio/sumo and were really cherished. I am not saying they are not aspired any more, but still some people are find them bulky and naturally Duster was a more refined and frugal suv option available since one year and hence its sales figures.
But as i have said earlier, Indian suv market is evolving at a fast pace and more options are getting available off the day. Think 1-2 year from now and you can foresee much more suv options available in various sizes and seating options. Therefore use your brains and take a call.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks