Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 08:52   #136
BHPian

Re: 2013 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I would like to add Fiat Linea T-Jet. Performs well and is a good car overall but for its A.S.S.
I second that recommendation & given that Naman is located here in Bangalore, after sales shouldn't be a concern wide enough to rule out T-Jet.
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 11:50   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Welcome to TeamBHP.

Don't buy a car because others like it. Buy the car that YOU like the most.

Driving style varies from person to person and so does the expectations out of a car. You have not mentioned anything about what you are expecting out of the car. Are you looking at only diesel options or are you open to petrol as well? Are you looking at only brand new cars or are you open to used cars too? Would it be used mainly in city or would it be a highway car? Would you be mostly alone in the car or would it be full during most of the trips?

Every car has its own strengths and weaknesses and it is just a question of seeing whether the strengths of a car are aligned to your preferences. Some
cars are designed with taller drivers in mind and a shorter driver can never appreciate that car the way the most others would.

The first page of this thread has an excellent list of enthusiastic cars. I would suggest doing a TD of Cruze as well as the likes of Octavia/Jetta and City if you want to try out a segment down.
I would like to thank you first for replying.
I want a new car which can be petrol or diesel and it will mostly be driven it in the city.
I would be mostly alone in the car, I'm not very tall and power and handling are my primary criteria.
I will test drive the Cruze and City as the other two you mentioned are above my budget.
Also, does the city make for a good car in terms of handling?
Thanks again for the help

Quote:
Along with the above suggestions, I would like to add Fiat Linea T-Jet. Performs well and is a good car overall but for its A.S.S.

Is this your first car or do you already own any? If yes, what are your previous car and what do you drive currently?

Anurag.
Thanks for the advice.
I currently drive a petrol Ritz which is my first car and I don't really like the looks or the interiors of the Linea.
Though these things hold a small weightage to me, given that its a Fiat, I'm hesitant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
I second that recommendation & given that Naman is located here in Bangalore, after sales shouldn't be a concern wide enough to rule out T-Jet.
Thanks for the recommendation but the Linea has other problems too like re-sale value.
Do you think that the problems of buying a Fiat are as bad as they are made out to be?
Old 10th April 2014, 11:59   #138
Senior - BHPian

The compilation is heavily skewed in favour of cars which do better cornering. Why so much obsession with twisties? Don't straight roads mean anything? Come on, we are in no Monte Carlo or a GP circuit. Unless you live in J&K or North East, how much of twisties does one encounter? I can drive for 500 KMs in AP and may see 2 KM max of twisites. Or, does an enthusiast here mean darting in and out and weaving through traffic in your tiny hot-hatch raising other road-users' heckles.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 12:28   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
The compilation is heavily skewed in favour of cars which do better cornering. Why so much obsession with twisties? Don't straight roads mean anything? Come on, we are in no Monte Carlo or a GP circuit. Unless you live in J&K or North East, how much of twisties does one encounter? I can drive for 500 KMs in AP and may see 2 KM max of twisites. Or, does an enthusiast here mean darting in and out and weaving through traffic in your tiny hot-hatch raising other road-users' heckles.
Though here in Hyderabad there are actually quite a lot of twisty roads that even go up and down, I second your opinion about what we ought to crown an enthusiast's ride. While chassis dynamics are number 1 priority for me, I agree that cars such as the Cruze should not be excluded from the list Kinda like the equivalent of american muscle cars abroad. Sure they dont set brilliant lap times but their stonking V8's and styling are more than enough reason to make them enthusiast's cars
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 12:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Andhra is probably more of an exception due to being predominantly on the Deccan plateau. Most states would have its share of twisties due to the different mountain ranges across India. Kerala, for example is full of twists and turns and the exact opposite of what you described as the condition in AP. Even in Andhra, there are routes like the Tirupati route (eastern ghats) that has its own share of twisties.

If your idea of an enthusiast is someone who floors the pedal on straight roads and let the car reach the top speed, all you need to do is look at the brochure for power, weight, top speed and braking distance.

Having a car that handles well is the need of the hour for road users in states like Kerala where an understeer or oversteer could put you directly into the path of the oncoming traffic!

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th April 2014 at 22:15. Reason: Please avoid making personal remarks & keep it civil, thanks
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 12:52   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Andhra is probably more of an exception due to being predominantly on the Deccan plateau.Most states would have its share of twisties due to the different mountain ranges across India. Kerala, for example is full of twists and turns and the exact opposite of what you described as the condition in AP. Even in Andhra, there are routes like the Tirupati route (eastern ghats) that has its own share of twisties.

If your idea of an enthusiast is someone who floors the pedal on straight roads and let the car reach the top speed, all you need to do is look at the brochure for power, weight, top speed and braking distance.

Having a car that handles well is the need of the hour for road users in states like Kerala where an understeer or oversteer could put you directly into the path of the oncoming traffic!
AP is not exception. Most of India is like AP. Mostly plains. I think YOU need to brush up your geography knowledge. Not me. I never said cornering ability or handling is not important. All I said was, why were cars like Cruze ( what I was referring to ) left out? You may beat a Cruze on a twisty but as soon as you emerge out, he will zoom past you. Why so much emphasis only on cornering?

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th April 2014 at 22:17. Reason: Quoted post has been edited. Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 13:25   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
I don't really like the looks or the interiors of the Linea.
Though these things hold a small weightage to me, given that its a Fiat, I'm hesitant.
---------
Do you think that the problems of buying a Fiat are as bad as they are made out to be?
First, it's interesting that you have Ferrari in your username but still don't consider Fiat worthy of being in your list of preferred cars.

I own a Linea T-jet and it has been my primary car for past two years. After 2 years and 27K Kms, I am absolutely satisfied with the decision to own this car. Yes, the after sales service could have been better than what it is, still it doesn't take anything away from the wonderful car. I have taken it to hills, I have taken to track (BIC track day), have driven it at scary speeds, have driven through broken (almost no) roads, and the car has never let me down. Most of the people that complain about the interiors, are the ones that have never owned a Linea T-jet. The interiors on my car look good even after two years. The quality of plastic was always better in T-jet than normal Linea. With the new version, the interiors are now as good (if not better) as what the competition has to offer.

About resale, if you are planning to sell it within 3 years of purchase then Fiat is not for you. In fact, even the Cruze might not make much sense if resale is a key criteria.

Irrespective of what you want to purchase, at least take a test drive of T-jet on some expressway. You won't regret the time spent on the test drive.
Old 10th April 2014, 13:34   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post

First, it's interesting that you have Ferrari in your username but still don't consider Fiat worthy of being in your list of preferred cars.
Bingo!

This is one of the reason I suggested him Fiat Linea T-Jet in my posts above. Seeing the Ferrari in his username I was tempted!

I feel the T-Jet is a Ferrari in a very minute fraction. Not as powerful but yes does the job for our Indian roads. I prefer this over Cruze too. No offence to Cruze owners!

Anurag.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:36   #144
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

^^^ why not the fiesta classic 1.6 petrol ?
Huge discounts on offer now & it has indeed a good blend of ride and handling. Plus, the sweet linear delivery of a naturally aspirated 1.6. Of course, resale value is not good.
Old 10th April 2014, 20:26   #145
BHPian

Hello everyone
Now that you have recommended the linea and praised it so much, I am now very curious to go for a test drive soon.
Also I will check the fiesta out.
I want to see all options and I didn't mean to say that any car is not so good.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone but the thing is that I don't have a list of criteria and I am looking for a car that feels right when I test drive it.

So, I will test drive anything that I will be recommended.
Thanks again for all the advice

Cheers!
Old 10th April 2014, 21:02   #146
BANNED

Quote:
I don't have a list of criteria and I am looking for a car that feels right when I test drive it.
I don't think it is good to keep TD'ing what all we suggest here.

Even for us to suggest something, we need some base to start off. So please ask your mind and heart as to what it wants. Threw must be something that you would be looking in a car - tell us that, we'll help you out.

Please do TD the Fiat Linea T-Jet though.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 21:37   #147
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think it is good to keep TD'ing what all we suggest here.

Even for us to suggest something, we need some base to start off. So please ask your mind and heart as to what it wants. Threw must be something that you would be looking in a car - tell us that, we'll help you out.

Please do TD the Fiat Linea T-Jet though.

Anurag.
The three main things I am looking for are -
Power
Handling
Features

The other things like comfort and looks can be compromised.
Also if the car is really nice, resale also should not be a big problem.
So I think the above 3 are the main things.

Thanks!
Old 11th April 2014, 00:14   #148
BHPian

Quote:
The three main things I am looking for are -
Power
Handling
Features

The other things like comfort and looks can be compromised.
Also if the car is really nice, resale also should not be a big problem.
So I think the above 3 are the main things.

Thanks!
Hi man!

Can I suggest that this resale value business is lopsided: the 'value' in question is your subjective (and social etc) meaning-purpose-pleasure-taste NOT Rs. x or y!

Often, cars with high resale 'value' already retail for a higher 'price' relative to 'value'.

I'd urge you to dispense with resale 'value' as a major criteria. This whole resale value business often results in bad and regretful purchase decisions.

please be sure to post your reaction to the different cars you TD. Cheers!
desdemona is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 00:52   #149
Senior - BHPian

Hey Naman welcome to the Forum mate

My suggestions would be:

Linea T-Jet- While the new dollops of chrome outside aren't to my taste, the interior is a LOT more modern and it is packed with features. So to me it has everything; brilliant chassis which in turn means good handling, stonking motor which lends good performance, and bragging rights over the features.

Ford Fiesta Classic 1.6- PURE pleasure and predictability of a naturally aspirated motor (they really are coming to an end), and Go-Kart-like handling makes it my favorite. Dated so don't expect features. But on the plus side, you will be left with lots of dough to spare allowing you to get the most rad ICE setup and any other mods

Ford Fiesta New- Astonishing ride and handling, not so great motor, As many if not more features than the Linea.

Stretch the budget to a Volkswagen Jetta 1.4tsi- Lovely handling characteristics, small yet sweet 1.4tsi mill might not be a breath taker but still perform very well. Also every variant comes with more than enough features

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th April 2014 at 00:54.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 09:32   #150
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the help guys!
I am just researching right now but when I start test driving, I will be sure to put my opinion on the forum
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks