Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 19:39   #91
BHPian

Re: 2013 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

Hi GTO, Why you haven't considered EcoBoost EcoSport?
Old 26th November 2013, 19:43   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
One thing common to a major chunk of replies and comments on the thread is that most owners are pushing their case for their cars to be on the list. Emotions run a bit high when they realize their dream car is not exactly the dream car others look for!!
A figo may be the best thing that has happened to many, the look of admiration a Thar gets may be the high point in the daily monotonous commute for the Thar owners, but that doesnt necessarily make that a dream or a hoot of car for the others. I truly understand there are other cars which may make the list if someone else compiles it, but then to each his own. No point in arguing, fighting your case and trying to get your drive on the list GTO has compiled.
+1. This forum is made of 'Informed auto enthusiasts'. If we push for too many models, the word in the title of this thread "best" will become irrelevant.
Old 26th November 2013, 19:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Great thread GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pre-worshipped Rides

Love the value in pre-owned? I do too! There's some lovely cars out there, no matter what your budget is.

Related Articles:

6 Lakhs
When can we expect a version 2 of the pre-owned enthusiast cars thread? More than half the models in the quoted thread have become too old to be available even in used car market, considering very few of them remain in good condition. It badly needs an updated list.
zenren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 20:34   #94
BHPian

Fantastic thread

~2 years ago when I purchased a Linea T-jet, many of my friends were surprised. I am glad that I get to share such articles/threads/posts highlighting its capabilities at regular intervals.

Quote:
One of the purposes of this thread: Contrary to popular opinion, you do NOT need to spend money to have fun. I've had the time of my life pushing an Alto K10 on the twisties . That car is a high-powered gokart man.
No offense meant but I would prefer to keep the go-kart restricted to kart circuit. Spiritedly driven Alto K10 on public roads, with its safety features (rather the lack of it) is a threat to occupants (of road as well as the car). Whenever I see someone pushing their under-tyred, structurally weaker car beyond its limits to reflect "enthusiasm" on highways, I let them pass and win the ego-battle. No doubt, it's a very peppy car but the owners/drivers should be wary of its limitations while pushing it to/beyond its limits.
Biraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 23:14   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the purposes of this thread: Contrary to popular opinion, you do NOT need to spend money to have fun. I've had the time of my life pushing an Alto K10 on the twisties . That car is a high-powered gokart man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
No offense meant but I would prefer to keep the go-kart restricted to kart circuit. Spiritedly driven Alto K10 on public roads, with its safety features (rather the lack of it) is a threat to occupants (of road as well as the car). Whenever I see someone pushing their under-tyred, structurally weaker car beyond its limits to reflect "enthusiasm" on highways, I let them pass and win the ego-battle. No doubt, it's a very peppy car but the owners/drivers should be wary of its limitations while pushing it to/beyond its limits.
GTO, I have an idea. Why not think of listing A-star here instead of the Alto K10? I agree that the Alto K10 is lighter, but the A-star has a much more competent chassis. That should take the fun quotient higher.
blue_pulsar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 23:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
GTO, I have an idea. Why not think of listing A-star here instead of the Alto K10? I agree that the Alto K10 is lighter, but the A-star has a much more competent chassis. That should take the fun quotient higher.
Power to weight ratio is one of the main reasons why Alto K10 performs on par with other bigger cars.

A-Star comes no where close - same power but with a weight that is almost 100kg more. If we go with 'bhp per tonne' figures, Alto K10's 87.5 is slightly more than Swift and is 10-12% higher than A-Star's 78.
Old 26th November 2013, 23:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Power to weight ratio is one of the main reasons why Alto K10 performs on par with other bigger cars.

A-Star comes no where close - same power but with a weight that is almost 100kg more. If we go with 'bhp per tonne' figures, Alto K10's 87.5 is slightly more than Swift and is 10-12% higher than A-Star's 78.
I get that point already. But for a car to satisfy enthusiast tastes, even the chassis has to be reasonably competent. Else the Verna would be pretty much on top of this list.
blue_pulsar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 01:00   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I get that point already. But for a car to satisfy enthusiast tastes, even the chassis has to be reasonably competent.
Why don't you look at Brio then, its VFM, bhp/ton is awesome, just overlook the ride quality and you are get set go. Don't even talk about verna, its a rollercoaster without breaks, well almost.
Old 27th November 2013, 02:10   #99
BHPian

Well if k10 makes it why not spark. Steering is way better, proper 4 cylinder engine makes for way better NVH levels and always power on tap.
Old 27th November 2013, 12:38   #100
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Incidentally, the current Jetta's been discontinued by VW. If the announcement's not been made yet expect them to drop the bomb in Jan or Feb 2014.
I think you mean the Passat.
Jetta? No chance man.

1. It's been selling decently well (usually over 200 cars / month).
2. Just facelifted.
3. VW needs to have presence in the 15 - 20 lakh segment.

The Passat, on the other hand, is a market dud. I won't be surprised if the curtains are pulled on that one.
Nope. I mean the Jetta. I was equally surprised to hear about it and my first reaction was the same - "Don't you mean the Passat?"
But my friend clarified that it was the Jetta. What was told to them under strict confidence at a high level VAG India meeting is that right now the story going out is they've suspended bookings, but in truth the production has halted and that VAG will make the announcement next year.

Whether this guy's right or not, we'll know soon enough. If it's true, though - I feel bad for Jetta owners. Their resale value's going to plummet overnight. No one wants a pre-owned car that's already been discontinued regardless of how 'pre-worshipped' it's been.
Old 27th November 2013, 14:39   #101
BHPian

I have owned 8 cars and driven 10 cars in my life so far for quite some distance; let me list the cars and their fun factor:

Maruti 800 (3 nos; 2 owned by dad)
MM540
Gypsy
Esteem
Alto 800
Santro (earlier car of dad)
A Star
i20
i10 Grand (current car of dad)
Figo Diesel (current car)

Esteem tops the list; though not considered here considering it is end of sale. The low GC meant it stuck to the road and handled pretty well for its times. MM540 had some amazing torque and again my pick for off-road, the Gypsy lacked the low end torque which is much needed for off-road trails. A Star was fun within its own limitations, I loved its steering and handling; I had upgraded tyres to 175s which helped its mannerism. Figo is a diesel variant - steering is fine on a highway, but a bit on the stiff side for the city. I have driven the Fabia and I loved the way it steers compared to the Figo. Figo being diesel, it lacked the punch which I wanted; nevertheless, I bought it with my head and not with my heart... Hyundai sisters are practical cars with space, features, vfm; not for enthusiasts.

Last edited by harishF1 : 27th November 2013 at 14:40.
Old 27th November 2013, 18:42   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Nope. I mean the Jetta. I was equally surprised to hear about it and my first reaction was the same - "Don't you mean the Passat?"
But my friend clarified that it was the Jetta. What was told to them under strict confidence at a high level VAG India meeting is that right now the story going out is they've suspended bookings, but in truth the production has halted and that VAG will make the announcement next year.

Whether this guy's right or not, we'll know soon enough. If it's true, though - I feel bad for Jetta owners. Their resale value's going to plummet overnight. No one wants a pre-owned car that's already been discontinued regardless of how 'pre-worshipped' it's been.
How is that possible? The facelift has just been launched? I dont believe this news one bit.
Is it possible that they are making space for the AUDI A3 to be launched under 22 Lakhs !!
Old 28th November 2013, 18:28   #103
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Based on popular opinion, and Vid6639's agreement, the EcoSport has been added to the enthusiast car list.

Only the 1.0L EcoBoost variant.

Quote:
Ford EcoSport 1.0L EcoBoost

What's hot: Futuristic styling, solid construction, free revving turbo-petrol, solid mid-range punch, loaded to the gills with technology & equipment, smartly packaged interiors, dynamically sorted & competent handling (by SUV standards), great ergonomics & driving position, city friendly size, top notch safety kit

What's not: Turbo-lag below 1,800 rpm, Hyundai-esque light electric steering on the highway, stiff ride quality, small 362 liter boot, 5th occupant unwelcome, compact dimensions take street cred away, thick A-Pillars result in severe blind spots, EcoBoost only on top variant

Official Review
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 18:36   #104
BANNED

Quote:
Based on popular opinion, and Vid6639's agreement, the EcoSport has been added to the enthusiast car list.

Only the 1.0L EcoBoost variant.

But why not the 1.5 L TDCi? That also is a pocket rocket. Am I missing anything?

How would you rate the Getz CRDi? I know it is discontinued.

Anurag.
Old 28th November 2013, 19:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
But why not the 1.5 L TDCi? That also is a pocket rocket. Am I missing anything?
Well i own the 1.5 TDCi Ecosport, done 3500 kms with it and it is no pocket rocket i tell you. I was not impressed with the ecoboost as well due to the turbo lag as my priority was city driving but the 1.5 TDCi is just an okay sort of performer, low nvh, smooth, lag free but the performance is mediocre, the in gear figures are not impressive as well thanks to the fat kerb weight. Drive a GT TDi or GT TSi and you will shout "pocket rocket pocket rocket"
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks