Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 20:05   #106
BHPian

Re: 2013 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

IIRC, in someone's review thread, GTO had commented that the A-Star is his most favourite small hatchback in terms of FTD quotient. Had expected it here.
Old 28th November 2013, 20:07   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
IIRC, in someone's review thread, GTO had commented that the A-Star is his most favourite small hatchback in terms of FTD quotient. Had expected it here.
IIRC it was the Toyota Liva TRD and yes it features in this thread.

Anurag.
Old 28th November 2013, 23:00   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda City no longer on sale. Maybe the next generation.
The City currently is not on sale - true. But the thread title is "2013 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India", isn't it? I'd assume then that this means all cars that have been produced during 2013. Not to include the City in that list is hugely incorrect, I'd think.

I also do not agree with notions that the City is a poor handler. It's not an excellent handler, but the City (at least the one 2012 onwards) is a reasonable handler, despite having a light steering. But the steering hold is excellent, and it's precise.
Old 28th November 2013, 23:18   #109
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I think the reason why there are so many conflicting thoughts in this thread is- "reference". Each of us, based on our experience with cars that we have driven, have certain benchmarks for bad/neutral/good/exceptional 'handling' cars. For example, somebody like Jeremy Clarkson would rate the M3 as a 'good' handler and the nissan GTR as 'exceptional' ; whereas an average joe like me would rate the figo as 'good' and linea as 'exceptional' . Its all a question of how wide-ranging is you experience of 'feeling-the-car-handle' . I guess the motivation for this thread is to just 'average-out' the different benchmarks & rank the cars of 2013 based on an 'average' benchmark.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 23:39   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I think the reason why there are so many conflicting thoughts in this thread is- "reference". Each of us, based on our experience with cars that we have driven, have certain benchmarks for bad/neutral/good/exceptional 'handling' cars. For example, somebody like Jeremy Clarkson would rate the M3 as a 'good' handler and the nissan GTR as 'exceptional' ; whereas an average joe like me would rate the figo as 'good' and linea as 'exceptional' . Its all a question of how wide-ranging is you experience of 'feeling-the-car-handle' . I guess the motivation for this thread is to just 'average-out' the different benchmarks & rank the cars of 2013 based on an 'average' benchmark.
I do not know the above is directed at my post above. I agree with your general observation, but like to add very humbly that: based on the cars that have made the list, and based on my experience of driving for more than 30 years in a variety of terrain, almost half of the period abroad, many varieties of cars, including a few exotic ones, my opinion is as opined in my above post.
Old 28th November 2013, 23:39   #111
BHPian

@GTO, while everything is where it should be, why is cruze not making this list? I am hurt :-)
BurningHeart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 00:00   #112
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
I do not know the above is directed at my post above. I agree with your general observation, but like to add very humbly that: based on the cars that have made the list, and based on my experience of driving for more than 30 years in a variety of terrain, almost half of the period abroad, many varieties of cars, including a few exotic ones, my opinion is as opined in my above post.
my post was generic, did not aim at you at all ; there are many who are of the opinion that many 'good ones' are missing from the list (in fact, i am disappointed that the figo never made it here - you know why ).
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 09:22   #113
BHPian

Excellent thread. Good selection of cars here. However, Wouldn't the Skoda Yeti ( at least 4*4 variant) make it to this list? It's quite powerful and handles quite well too.
jvm_1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 20:00   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EcoSport & Duster. XUV500 isn't too bad either.
Sir, XUV500 follows ES and Duster??? or XUV500 leads the way....Duster handles better & quicker than XUV500???

Last edited by Surprise : 30th November 2013 at 20:02.
Old 1st December 2013, 15:14   #115

Has every one forgot the Santa Fe

Most enthusiastic SUV to drive in India with almost 200bhp power and 42kgm of torque....

Simply awesome....
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India-copy-dsc00036.jpg  

knightrider_25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 17:40   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Would've added the Figo, but it's too slow. Sibling, the Fiesta made it.

Honda City no longer on sale. Maybe the next generation.

Punto 90 is again too slow, let down my awful gearing. Sibling T-jet makes the cut.
Again another feature offers great value, thanks to your earlier feature i am now a convert for the value the pre-worshipped rides bring to the table, besides the fun factor and not to mention the pleasure of possibly living EMI free [Case Depending]. i love my Octy RS, look forward to everyday driving.

GTO - Reward for good work is more work - Sorry to be sounding that way, but unfortunately greed has no cure, having tasted blood the last time, Could you please contemplate doing a feature around the million rupee mark, that could help take the game at another level. Please let me know if i can help contribute.

Thank you very much for your time and resources in the forum.

ML
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 18:48   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_25 View Post
Has every one forgot the Santa Fe

Most enthusiastic SUV to drive in India with almost 200bhp power and 42kgm of torque....

Simply awesome....
When even the relatively lower slung Hyundai hatches and sedans don't handle well enough when compared to other competitors, I don't think a high CG SUV from Hyundai stands a chance. Just having high power/torque figures won't make a car an enthusiast drive.

Besides, it doesn't fit in the sub 20L category anyway.

Last edited by zenren : 1st December 2013 at 18:55.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 20:56   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
When even the relatively lower slung Hyundai hatches and sedans don't handle well enough when compared to other competitors, I don't think a high CG SUV from Hyundai stands a chance. Just having high power/torque figures won't make a car an enthusiast drive.
Exceptions are always there.... Santa fe rides & handles much better than the sedans from Hyundai stable for sure...!!!
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:28   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Nope. I mean the Jetta. I was equally surprised to hear about it and my first reaction was the same - "Don't you mean the Passat?"
Buddy, as expected, seems to be the Passat only

November 2013 factory dispatches of the Passat = 0 (full sales report coming up soon).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:48   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

But why not the 1.5 L TDCi? That also is a pocket rocket. Am I missing anything?

How would you rate the Getz CRDi? I know it is discontinued.

Anurag.
The 1.5L TDCi EcoSport is mediocre at best when it comes to performance. 90PS and wuite heavy weight ensures it will not feature on that list.

The 1.0L Ecoboost on the other hand is quick and great fun for an enthusiast. High revving turbo petrol engine and decent poke. It's the most fun SUV out there but hatchbacks like the Polo GT TDI and GT TSI will run circles around it.

The Getz CRDI is not on the list because it simply is not available. List is of cars you can buy in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Sir, XUV500 follows ES and Duster??? or XUV500 leads the way....Duster handles better & quicker than XUV500???
Any day or any night. The XUV weight and dynamics cannot match the Duster's dynamics. EcoSport is not entirely an SUV but both of these are in a different league than the XUV500.

The XUV500 handling can be termed better than ladder on frame SUV's like Safari Storme, Scorpio and even Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvm_1986 View Post
Excellent thread. Good selection of cars here. However, Wouldn't the Skoda Yeti ( at least 4*4 variant) make it to this list? It's quite powerful and handles quite well too.
What extra does the 4X4 offer except go anywhere capability? For an enthusiast the Jetta or the Octavia will be the choice compared to the practical Yeti.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks