Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2013, 09:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Datsun GO: A Close Look

This is just a roadshow with static testing of the vehicle - to gauge prosepective customer feedback. A more detailed dynamic testing of the vehicle will certainly change a lot of perceptions, whenever the media drive happens.
You can expect quite a few first-in-segment features on the GO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
The front middle seat is another grouse of mine. It sure isn't enough for an adult. Expect families to have small kids sitting there, unbuckled
The front middle seat is not intended as an extra seat to accommodate a small passenger. I am sure Nissan, as a reputed carmaker, does not expect a child to be seated un-restrained. The main idea is to free up some space and allow for better utilisation of front cabin space, in combination with the location of the gear-shift on the centre console.

Last edited by Kaumad : 19th December 2013 at 09:36.
Kaumad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 14:22   #47
BHPian

The DATSUN GO will be showcased at the Phoenix Market City Mall in Velachery, Chennai this coming weekend - on the 21st and 22nd December.

Last edited by Kaumad : 19th December 2013 at 14:23. Reason: Added 'Chennai'
Kaumad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 14:53   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
The biggest turn off for me is the way the USB port is put in the stereo. It means that the pen drive will have to be inserted upside down. Or am I thinking upside down?
Are you sure about this pen drive thing? If I am not way off the mark the USB port is only a charging point and is not meant to play USB drives!
Old 19th December 2013, 17:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest turn off for me is the way the USB port is put in the stereo. It means that the pen drive will have to be inserted upside down. Or am I thinking upside down? If I am right then they don't have a very bright R&D team they have there!
Don't worry; you'll never have to insert a pen drive in that socket any way. It's for 'Charging Only'! I think i've read it somewhere, can't recall where.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post

The front middle seat is not intended as an extra seat to accommodate a small passenger. I am sure Nissan, as a reputed carmaker, does not expect a child to be seated un-restrained. The main idea is to free up some space and allow for better utilisation of front cabin space, in combination with the location of the gear-shift on the centre console.
I dont think the intention is to free up space. In thread starter Aditya's own words :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Nissan claims a three-abreast seating configuration for the front seats of the GO.
Even if the intention is genuine, the reality could be different. Regular Joe families who never buckle themselves are dime a dozen in India. They would obviously be tempted to seat the child there because the size is just right for the kid.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:35   #51
BHPian

Quote:
They would obviously be tempted to seat the child there because the size is just right for the kid.
This scenario will be definite occurrence, as even with front bucket seats I see lots of "geniuses" who drive with their kids in their laps.

So now, we might see "hum do, hamaare teen" (two parents, one kid on each lap and a third kid in the center) in the front seats of the Go soon. (This was meant with utmost sarcasm/horror and was not intended to give ideas).
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 20:07   #52
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest turn off for me is the way the USB port is put in the stereo. It means that the pen drive will have to be inserted upside down. Or am I thinking upside down? If I am right then they don't have a very bright R&D team they have there!
The USB port is only for charging. They have given Aux in option for playing music from mobile so Nissan engineers may want to give a provision to charge the handset. Somehow the whole set up looks very crude.

It will worth waiting to see the positioning of the car in terms of pricing.
Old 19th December 2013, 20:38   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we are unnecessarily bashing the company for providing an additional 1/2 seater in the front. If security is that much a concern, then we have serious problems even in the side facing seats from the Sumo / Qualis / Quanto / Safari etc!

Heck, we all know how much is the Alto (as a whole car) rated for safety. It's just waste of time deliberating these things IMO. IIRC, Mahindra's new compact SUV (S101) also is going to sport a similar seating configuration. If our nation was that safety conscious, Alto would have NEVER enjoyed the "most sold" car title for so many months/years.

The rule is simple. Those who care about safety will buy a good and safe car and will follow the right practices. Those who do NOT know or care will buy what they can afford.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th December 2013 at 20:46.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 22:00   #54
BHPian

The car definitely looks nice for a Rs. 4 lakh hatch. Should click with those on a budget. Rear and front quarter views look stylish. But that wheel well gap at the rear sticks out like a sore thumb. Safety can be a problem but i guess its safe to assume that potential customers wouldn't be too wary about that. Expecting the performance to be segment best in class though with the 1.2L block from the Micra, all set to take that crown from the segment benchmark, the Alto K10. But I still wonder how Renault is going to manage the A.S.S part if this is going to sell in decent numbers like the Maruti.
Old 19th December 2013, 22:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Cheapness has a new name now;GO. The car compares with the Tata Magic and not with Nano as it is much much ahead. See the interior of the hatch door, floor well etc. Nissan should seriously think of a GO based micro truck. This belongs in that league.

Quote:
Nissan claims a three-abreast seating configuration for the front seats of the GO.
The third passenger in the front seat may have to take a yoga pose.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th December 2013 at 22:36.
Old 19th December 2013, 23:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Seat belts for all occupants are mandatory as per the current rules. So I don't think they'll be able to officially claim seating for a 3rd person in front without providing at least a lap belt. Official seating capacity would be the number of seat belts available. Where did you see the info on Nissan's claim? BTW, it should technically be Datsun's claim as it is not a Nissan product

Last edited by zenren : 19th December 2013 at 23:38.
Old 20th December 2013, 07:09   #57
BHPian

Datsun may market GO as a five seater only. But buyers will realize the potential of the car to use as a six seater. Though Datsun may argue that, they were trying to fill the huge gap between two seats and the additional space is not intended to use as a seat. But that argument will remain in paper only.
Old 20th December 2013, 08:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think the intention is to free up space. In thread starter Aditya's own words :

Even if the intention is genuine, the reality could be different.
The intention is indeed to utilise space in a better way. Officially Datsun has maintained that the seating is for 5 passengers only. Nissan's claim / Aditya's words is not official.
Please check the link:
http://www.datsun.co.in/models

Of course, the reality is different in India. People will always devise ingenious ways of beating the system.

Last edited by Kaumad : 20th December 2013 at 08:56.
Old 20th December 2013, 10:55   #59
BHPian

If Nissan wants sales, and if they can't launch with diesel simultaneously, the least they can do is to launch Go with LPG+CNG options. This is one reason I respect Hyundai a lot. Whenever they don't have a "Diesel" option, LPG+CNG is available. Look at Eon+Santro+i10. All of these petrol only models have LPG. Seriously, is it really that difficult to provide these options? Though Chevy also gives the option with Spart and Beat, they just fail on every other front.
Old 20th December 2013, 11:04   #60
BHPian

I'm surprised to read so many negative comments about the car's safety! They have never claimed its a 6 seater as far as I can recall. If someone chooses to ride on the roof of the car its not the company's responsibility, similarly I guess if they say don't use the extension to seat your kid, its your own responsibility.

After all, Nissan brought in the safety trend in India by offering standard airbags on the Micra. Even now, their vehicles have the highest safety features among Hyundai, Maruthi etc.

So lets not jump the gun before even getting official specs or test drive reports.
good.car-ma is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks