Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 20:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A

The Scorpio has been around for a decade. It still sells 3000 - 4000 units each month.....
You have a point there, GTO. Many, me included, find Scorpio better looking than XUV. If I have to buy either of the two, I will pick Scorp. In fact I'm very eagerly waiting for the new Scorpio. If it looks promising then may be I will consider buying it.

There is a big void in AT SUV range. Ecosport is tiny and petrol and delivery period would take nearly a year ( as boasted by local dealer ). Then next stop, past Scorpio, is Endeavour/Fortuner which cost more than double. Wonder why Tata is not fitting an AT box on Storme.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 21:27   #17
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

Looks like Mahindra has chosen a great auto box for XUV 500. This gear box doing duty in a wide range of products from Japanese, Itialian, American, French and Chinese automakers.
Old 22nd February 2014, 09:29   #18
BHPian

I agree with GTO and pgsagar. The looks of the XUV does not grow on you after a while. The Scorpio on the other hand has a classic look that seems to grow on you even after all these years, a true testament to design. Again, this is a personal opinion. By the way, I can't wait for the new scorpio (the spy pics and teasers are getting me rather carried away!)

I also agree with psagar's earlier comment that Mahindra should have cornered all facets of the XUV (4WD, AT, etc ...) right from the word go. The novelty factor seems to be fading in the light of other newer entrants like the Duster, EcoSport, etc, all of these at a lower price tag than the XUV. Sourcing could have been one of their concerns but as someone rightly pointed out they always had a BOSCH AT system handy.

Having said all this, I still hope they get the AT out as soon as they can, they will still have a good set of folks wanting to get their hands on it, me included (if the new scorpio AT disappoints!).
Old 22nd February 2014, 12:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingelectric View Post
I also agree with psagar's earlier comment that Mahindra should have cornered all facets of the XUV (4WD, AT, etc ...) right from the word go. The novelty factor seems to be fading in the light of other newer entrants like the Duster, EcoSport, etc, all of these at a lower price tag than the XUV.
Mahindra has been hunting for the right AT box for the longest time it would seem, and I remember reading an Autocar article just yesterday that said Aisin wasn't interested in doing business with Mahindra given the volumes they needed. Acquiring Sangyyong was the tipping point, and at that volume Aisin and Mahindra reached a deal for the new gearbox.

If and when the XUV500 comes with an AT, many will line up for it. It's a hot proposition as it is, and the AT gearbox will open them up to a whole new segment of buyers that they might not have had previously. The Duster, Ecosport, et al are all at a lower price point for sure, but the XUV offers tons of features, all-round capabilities and a powerful diesel automatic. that's a novelty the compact SUV's can't match. If anything, I can see an AT XUV500 eating into sales of the sedans in its segment, like the Elantra and Cruze. Interesting times ahead of us as car-buyers.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 14:43   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You have a point there, GTO. Many, me included, find Scorpio better looking than XUV. If I have to buy either of the two, I will pick Scorp. In fact I'm very eagerly waiting for the new Scorpio. If it looks promising then may be I will consider buying it.
Well, looks are subjective so we'll leave that out of the picture.

Unless you need a proper 4x4 or are constrained by budget, there is absolutely no advantage the Scorpio has over the XUV500. The latter rides better (Scorpio is too bumpy), handles better (Scorpio is too top heavy), has more interior space (Scorpio is too cramped for such a large UV) and is far more contemporary (Scorpio is outdated).

From the innumerable parameters that we evaluate a car on, for a majority of them, the XUV500 blows the Scorpio out of the water.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 17:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Mahindra has been hunting for the right AT box for the longest time it would seem, and I remember reading an Autocar article just yesterday that said Aisin wasn't interested in doing business with Mahindra given the volumes they needed. Acquiring Sangyyong was the tipping point, and at that volume Aisin and Mahindra reached a deal for the new gearbox.
Agree on this. I think I got the Scorpio's AT search from M&M and the XUV's hunt for an AT confused. Thanks for clearing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
If and when the XUV500 comes with an AT, many will line up for it. It's a hot proposition as it is, and the AT gearbox will open them up to a whole new segment of buyers that they might not have had previously. The Duster, Ecosport, et al are all at a lower price point for sure, but the XUV offers tons of features, all-round capabilities and a powerful diesel automatic. that's a novelty the compact SUV's can't match. If anything, I can see an AT XUV500 eating into sales of the sedans in its segment, like the Elantra and Cruze. Interesting times ahead of us as car-buyers.
Agreed on this too. I assume someone looking at the Elantra or Cruze would be going for badge over utility, I am not sure though! It sure is an interesting time for potential car buyers.
Old 22nd February 2014, 18:40   #22
BHPian

With the Indians now realizing the need of Automatic is must and many people like me had to shelve out more to get a good automatic car not cos we wanted to but knowing the pain of clutch driving in bumper to bumper traffic, it is indeed a good sign of mahindra brining in Automatic in XUV.
the reason they didnt put the Scorpio AT in XUV was due to the gearbox was not refined had issues so why put and impact the competition as said by others take the technology from partners and use it.

I will look forward to 2015 and hoping the price remains within 15-18L it definetly would be a steal.
Old 22nd February 2014, 20:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The only 6 speed gearbox from Aisin that can handle upwards of 300Nm torque from the XUV engine is the TF-80SC. This is the same gearbox found in the Volvo range of cars as well as earlier version of RR Evoque before they moved to 9 speed ZF.

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/product...eup/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC
You mean this

Regards
Sutripta
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh-20140209249a.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh-20140209250a.jpg  

Sutripta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 21:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic news, XUV has all the features that I want in my next car except AT.
2015 is the time by when I would be replacing my swift. The gearbox also appears to be a very good one, I can see several cars that use this AT from the picture posted by Sutripta.

Going by the way M&M has been handling its customers, I would love to have XUV AT as my next car.
Old 25th February 2014, 09:53   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra XUV 500 automatic likely to get more power.

Mahindra is likely to retune the XUV500 motor to produce 30bhp more in automatic guise.

Mahindra XUV500 Automatic is also likely to come with an increase in power to 170bhp, a substantial 30bhp hike from its current output. However, the manual Mahindra XUV500’s power will not be bumped up and has been capped at 140bhp because the manual transmission, in its current form, is not designed for extra power and torque.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...er-373312.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th February 2014 at 09:55.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 10:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thee More power the better.
The MT gives somewhere around 11-12 in city and 14 on the highway.
What would be the projected FE of the AT ?
Old 19th May 2014, 17:53   #27
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the Automatic XUV has begun testing:

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/mahind...-spotted-test/

Clues that it is the Automatic. It has Japan written on the back and the letters AW which might be denoting Aisin-AW corp. AW was formerly Aisin Warner.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 15:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Looks like the Automatic XUV has begun testing:

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/mahind...-spotted-test/

Clues that it is the Automatic. It has Japan written on the back and the letters AW which might be denoting Aisin-AW corp. AW was formerly Aisin Warner.
Aisin automatic? Didn't Accord V6 use this gearbox? It's one hell of a quick-shifting box. XUV would rock.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 16:13   #29
D4D
BHPian

Mahindra is just growing in leaps and bounds. This is one seriously big leap. The first Scorpio automatic was just nonsense. The auto option makes XUV500 a completely rounded product.
People who are buying cars around ~12-15 lakh are looking towards diesel automatics and no one catered to their needs till now. This is just take away sales from the current cars in that price range.
All that I'm asking for is a little bit of better plastics with good fit and finish. Is that too much Mahindra?
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 17:26   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Aisin automatic? Didn't Accord V6 use this gearbox? It's one hell of a quick-shifting box. XUV would rock.
Not just accord. Read my earlier post. This particular 6 speed box was used in the earlier Range Rover Evoque and is used right now in most of the Volvo's like S80.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks