Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 13:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

Very promising car, and as of now there's no competition (unless you consider Creta, but it's much smaller) for this at price range. I would expect a lot of city users for the XUV to prefer the automatic.

Now, if only The Innova AT would have come a little sooner.
Old 25th November 2015, 14:02   #77
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh

I am wondering how all other AT car manufacturers are getting similar FE when compared to their MT cars - WHILE Mahindra seems to have lost big on the FE front! A drop from 16+ to 14- kmpl is BIG!

Just wondering - have they set the unit to operate at unnecessarily high power or torque or rpm? If yes, then why do they still need a M-mode?
Old 25th November 2015, 14:18   #78
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hi everybody,

I've just seen that the XUV500 AT has been launched with a gearbox borrowed from SsangYong. The photos I've seen show that there is a manual mode but I can't seem to figure out how this would work as there is no shifter selector on the gear-knob (unsure if this is the correct term to use - apologies) and I can't seem to see paddle shifters on the steering columns. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Old 25th November 2015, 15:08   #79
BHPian

Xuv500 site has been updated
http://www.mahindraxuv500.com

Microhybrid is gone in AT.
http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/compare-model.aspx

Price list of trivandrum
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh-screenshot_20151125151549.png  

Last edited by kozhissery : 25th November 2015 at 15:22. Reason: Added price list.
Old 25th November 2015, 15:16   #80
BHPian

The website has been updated. The price difference between the manual and auto is 1 Lakh.

Here is a first drive report as well

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/23712/
Old 25th November 2015, 15:32   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydogg View Post
Hi everybody,

I've just seen that the XUV500 AT has been launched with a gearbox borrowed from SsangYong. The photos I've seen show that there is a manual mode but I can't seem to figure out how this would work as there is no shifter selector on the gear-knob (unsure if this is the correct term to use - apologies) and I can't seem to see paddle shifters on the steering columns. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Yes there is a gear selector "+" and "-" with "D" in the center on the gear knob on the right side. Its shown on the images already posted earlier. The gears can be changed manually with your thumb while holding the gear knob with your left hand. The placement is quiet nice. But nothing beats the convenience of paddle shifters.

Last edited by falconion : 25th November 2015 at 15:35. Reason: Added image
falconion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 15:39   #82
BHPian

Just back from the Mahindra XUV5OO Automatic launch. Drove it for a short distance inside Mahindra's factory.

First impressions are quite positive. The shifts are seamless and the gearbox overall is very nice. One wouldn't even miss the S mode as the D mode itself is very good. The manual shifting mode however isn't too intuitive. The button for shifting gears is very small and isn't particularly useful. The uphill modes (automatic) and hill descent control is present which is helpful. Overall, I would say for someone who's considering the XUV, the automatic transmission makes a lot sense. At a premium of exactly Rs. 1 lakh over the manual conuterpart's ex-showroom pricing, it isn't too expensive either. And for that money, you get a respite from the long clutch travel that the MT car has. It should find a lot of takers in our market considering it gets the first mover advantage in the segment.
amansanc is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 16:01   #83
BHPian

Ah, this is similar to the Ecosport then. I found that this was quite fiddly only the Ecosport and personally, I prefer a solid sequential shift in the absence of paddle shifters.
Old 25th November 2015, 16:21   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Just back from the Mahindra XUV5OO Automatic launch. Drove it for a short distance inside Mahindra's factory.

First impressions are quite positive. The shifts are seamless and the gearbox overall is very nice. One wouldn't even miss the S mode as the D mode itself is very good. The manual shifting mode however isn't too intuitive. The button for shifting gears is very small and isn't particularly useful. The uphill modes (automatic) and hill descent control is present which is helpful. Overall, I would say for someone who's considering the XUV, the automatic transmission makes a lot sense. At a premium of exactly Rs. 1 lakh over the manual conuterpart's ex-showroom pricing, it isn't too expensive either. And for that money, you get a respite from the long clutch travel that the MT car has. It should find a lot of takers in our market considering it gets the first mover advantage in the segment.
Thanks for the quick update, how about the NVH, zig wheels initial review talks about it being higher than the manual.
Old 25th November 2015, 16:25   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Thanks for the quick update, how about the NVH, zig wheels initial review talks about it being higher than the manual.
Couldn't notice that in the short drive. Actually was more interested in checking how the auto transmission performs. But I don't think it would be any different since the car has no changes except the transmission which shouldn't increase the NVH levels ideally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Is the Start/Stop button gone?
Yup, it's gone. I guess that's because of the absence of clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
Does the AT variant come with paddle shifters? Or is it too much to ask ?
No paddle shifters. No S mode. There's a toggle switch on the gear lever for shifting manually in manual mode. Doesn't feel good to use.

Last edited by amansanc : 25th November 2015 at 16:38.
Old 25th November 2015, 16:28   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Is the Start/Stop button gone?
Old 25th November 2015, 16:35   #87
BHPian

Quote:

First impressions are quite positive. The shifts are seamless and the gearbox overall is very nice. One wouldn't even miss the S mode as the D mode itself is very good. The manual shifting mode however isn't too intuitive. The button for shifting gears is very small and isn't particularly useful.
Does the AT variant come with paddle shifters? Or is it too much to ask ?
Old 25th November 2015, 17:03   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I am wondering how all other AT car manufacturers are getting similar FE when compared to their MT cars - WHILE Mahindra seems to have lost big on the FE front! A drop from 16+ to 14- kmpl is BIG!

Just wondering - have they set the unit to operate at unnecessarily high power or torque or rpm? If yes, then why do they still need a M-mode?
Maybe it is because the gearbox on XUV 500 is good old Torque Converter instead of the DSG/DCT, AMT and CVT gearboxes whhich offer better efficiency?

I guess the TC-GB on the cars around this price range are low on FE compared to their Manual siblings. Don't know about ultra-modern ZF's TC-GB which are more fuel-efficient(?) because of more gear ratios.

Anyway, although this has less FE but the FE in manual cars heavily depend upon the driving style. A drop of ~2-3kmpl for resting the left leg by not using clutch and notchy GB? Totally worth it! There's more to 'comfort' than FE!
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 17:31   #89
BHPian

I guess this would be the new year gift I would be treating the family to...New Age Mahindra XUV 500 W10 AWD AT.
SX4LOVER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 18:01   #90
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

The lettering for P-R-N-D should have be on the driver side. The little things make a lot of difference in 5 years of ownership
The thumb +/- is a pain to use. I would have preferred a push forward/back DSG box like arrangement.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks