Team-BHP - VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/148607-vw-vento-diesel-automatic-update-launched-23.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rejeen (Post 3554828)
If things go fine, sometime this week my little Getz kid will be blessed with a big Vento bro who is an ambitious guy, but missing the clutch pedal.

Waiting for you to write a review soon then. Good luck! An upgrade to 16" Jetta wheels would make this sublime :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevGin (Post 3554927)
Waiting for you to write a review soon then. Good luck! An upgrade to 16" Jetta wheels would make this sublime :)

What will be the indicative impact on FE if we upgrade to 16" from 15"? Will there be any impact?

(OT) I recently TD a Vento TSI. I loved the vehicle and am willing to pardon the minor jerky downshifts. But I still have a couple of issues - big and small, to be addressed before I decide to buy one:

Big: I am concerned about DSG reliabaility in general. Is there any official communication from VW India on what incremental improvements are done (to ensure DQ200 doesnt pose long term ownership issues in hot and humid climates) in the last few months prior to their India launch (Polo/Vento - TSI and TDI AT) to put such concerns to rest? Without a comprehensive solution to look forward to, the two year extended warranty is tantamount to saying - I will sell you flimsy cloth and then will do free patch work when it tears for next four years; and then I dont care if it tears afterwards. Not compelling; eh?

Small: The various ownership reviews on Vento TSI have its FE numbers all over the place (D mode only). What is a good FE number to look forward to after I drive the car for about six months?

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaskaracs (Post 3555350)
What will be the indicative impact on FE if we upgrade to 16" from 15"? Will there be any impact?

Yes. Tire upsizing does affect the fuel economy. The speedometer calibration is also affected IINM.

EDIT: Here's an old article from C&D that describes the effects of upsizing in detail:

VW Vento Diesel Automatic... Update: Launched!-effectsofupsizedwheelsandtirestestedchart678photo568637soriginal.jpg

They've swapped the wheels from 15" to 19" on a previous gen. Golf and have tested it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaskaracs (Post 3555369)
(OT) I recently TD a Vento TSI. I loved the vehicle and am willing to pardon the minor jerky downshifts. But I still have a couple of issues - big and small, to be addressed before I decide to buy one:

Big: I am concerned about DSG reliabaility in general. Is there any official communication from VW India on what incremental improvements are done (to ensure DQ200 doesnt pose long term ownership issues in hot and humid climates) in the last few months prior to their India launch (Polo/Vento - TSI and TDI AT) to put such concerns to rest? Without a comprehensive solution to look forward to, the two year extended warranty is tantamount to saying - I will sell you flimsy cloth and then will do free patch work when it tears for next four years; and then I dont care if it tears afterwards. Not compelling; eh?

I dont think there is an official communication from VW India regarding the DQ200. Just a silent replacement of the Synthetic oil. Further, hot and humid conditions with stop-go traffic are not unique to India (not all of India is humid anyways, the north experiences high humidity only for 3 months in a year) The same conditions exist in lets say Singapore, where the DQ200 is sold. But then again, would you want to take the risk as a probability will still exist that the gearbox fails, is your call.

I have asked time and again about any data or even hearsay on the failure rate of DQ200 in India. No responses yet. So, you may assume that it is not a significant enough number to deter you from buying one.

Quote:

Small: The various ownership reviews on Vento TSI have its FE numbers all over the place (D mode only). What is a good FE number to look forward to after I drive the car for about six months?
The TSI engine is very sensitive to the way it is driven. If you drive with a light foot, you can get FE above 15 kmpl. Drive with a heavy foot and the FE drops well below 10 kmpl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaskaracs (Post 3555369)

Only thing they have said is that the change to mineral oil has solved the issue. Other than that is is just a wait and watch to see if any problems reoccur. Until now, we have not heard about any DSG failures after the Polo /Vento TSI were launched.

On the fuel efficiency, the fact that it can be all over the place is actually true. It really depends on how you drive it. I have driven my vento tsi for ~10,000 KM and my overall lifetime average is 12.8 with 40% City and 60% 2 Lane Highway driving typically with full load.

In the City you can expect between 10-12 and between 13-16 on the highway.

The S mode will not drop efficiency drastically. If you drive with a light foot in S mode it will return good fuel efficiency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3555463)
I have driven my vento tsi for ~10,000 KM and my overall lifetime average is 12.8 with 40% City and 60% 2 Lane Highway driving typically with full load

This is an interesting statistic. How did you compute a life time average? Is it somehting your MID tells you? Or are you suggesting you keep a manual log of all trips and their avg FEs?

Test drove the TDI DSG last weekend, the gearshift from 1st to 2nd is a liitle jerky, but the rest is butter smooth with some good kick only after 2000RPM (roughly). The negatives are only 2 yr warranty. Extnended warranty on AT is not available as yet. Overpriced OTR prices in Delhi is 12.5 -13 in Delhi, where the old TDI manual is selling at nearly 1L discount. The service cost is also quite expensive the RM told me to expect at least 10k per service if not more.

The booking is 25k, where only 20k is returnable!! He wasn't sure of the total bookings so far, but told me that it has a waiting period of now close to 3 months. The car is excellent, but I think the ownership cost plus the up-front costs in my view still doesn't make it a compelling buy.

I believe IMO a similar package in Polo may make a lot more sense!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3555370)
Yes. Tire upsizing does affect the fuel economy. The speedometer calibration is also affected IINM.

EDIT: Here's an old article from C&D that describes the effects of upsizing in detail:

Attachment 1298351

They've swapped the wheels from 15" to 19" on a previous gen. Golf and have tested it.

These tires sizes are used for many of the VW group cars in India as well like Laura, Jetta, Octavia, Passat..

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGwagon (Post 3555481)
The booking is 25k, where only 20k is returnable!!
Is the booking amount left to dealer's discretion? ABRA motors, Chennai was quoting me 75K as the initial advance to book a Vento TSI two days ago - i thought this was pretty steep. Does VW have any say in this?

Quote:

He wasn't sure of the total bookings so far, but told me that it has a waiting period of now close to 3 months.

Also, the waiting period in chennai (checked with two dealers) is between 5-7 weeks. 3m is way too long - just plain hype I think.

When i did the TD of the new vento DSG 2 weeks back, the sales manager said there will be a waiting period of minimum 3 months. Even i got my polo after 1.5 months of waiting period. They are saying the production is very limited from the plant. During the delivery day of my polo, atleast 4-5 customers cancelled the booking only because of the long waiting periods.

Quote:

The booking is 25k, where only 20k is returnable!! He wasn't sure of the total bookings so far, but told me that it has a waiting period of now close to 3 months. The car is excellent, but I think the ownership cost plus the up-front costs in my view still doesn't make it a compelling buy.

Is the booking amount left to dealer's discretion? ABRA motors, Chennai was quoting me 75K as the initial advance to book a Vento TSI two days ago - i thought this was pretty steep. Does VW have any say in this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaskaracs (Post 3555473)
This is an interesting statistic. How did you compute a life time average? Is it somehting your MID tells you? Or are you suggesting you keep a manual log of all trips and their avg FEs?

I use an android App called Fuelio, Everytime I refuel (I always do a tankful), I enter the details into the App and it does all the calculations. So am able to see the avg for each tankful to tankful, life time average, total fuel, total cost, average cost per km-min and max and several such reports. Very useful app.

I am sort of a minor quandry. Can we buy a VW vehicle at one dealer and get it serviced in a work shop managed by a different dealer? This could pose an issue if VW offers free services.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaskaracs (Post 3555687)
I am sort of a minor quandry. Can we buy a VW vehicle at one dealer and get it serviced in a work shop managed by a different dealer? This could pose an issue if VW offers free services.

That is definitely possible. A lot of folks get their out-of-state cars' scheduled services done from the service centers located in their current cities. IINM BHPian Rejoy's GT was purchased and registered in Kerala but he gets it serviced from BU Bhandari, Pune.

Not a cause of concern. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaskaracs (Post 3555687)

I am sure dealers would be more than happy to service vehicles that weren't sold by them. After all, service is where they make their money. I have personally serviced a few of my company vehicles this way. (Ford Fiesta, Renault Duster and the TATA Indica) So, worry not my friend. Infact, as I understand free service is free for the customer but most OEM's compensate the dealership (atleast partially if not in full).