Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 03:35   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The smokers were doing no wrong either. It is not illegal in India to smoke on the side of the road.

Isn't smoking in public illegal?
Old 10th July 2014, 11:13   #527
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Now a days RTO in Bangalore is catching out of state vehicles even in inside roads where major traffic flows. Couple of days back one of my Colleague car (Ap-reg) was caught, he was asked to pay the Road tax and seized the car.
It is his in-laws car who visited recently not even a month.
He was asked to produce a proof of toll/fuel bills which he lost when they gave car for service in bangalore. so he ended up in paying the LTT of 37K, as it is six years old car he got to pay 64% of the Road Tax + 1% CESS .
He was asked to claim for reimbursement when they are going to take the vehicle back to their native.

I heard that RTO is even checking for any recent service papers in glove box and also for the company stickers on the windshield as there is a year printed on the sticker.
Old 10th July 2014, 12:02   #528
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK-MoJo View Post
He was asked to claim for reimbursement when they are going to take the vehicle back to their native.
Forgive me for asking a dumb question but was wondering, if one does not change their plates to KA - how will they get their refund ? Is it just apply for an NOC?

If I have already paid tax in my home state, how will the Karnataka RTO ascertain that I have "moved" back to home state?
Old 10th July 2014, 14:21   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Nope. Smoking in public places is. Road sides do not fall under the definition of "public place". Good thing too - if it did, where would the smokers go to smoke?
Old 10th July 2014, 14:22   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Forgive me for asking a dumb question but was wondering, if one does not change their plates to KA - how will they get their refund ? Is it just apply for an NOC?

If I have already paid tax in my home state, how will the Karnataka RTO ascertain that I have "moved" back to home state?

I guess RTO office staff might have simply said to apply for reimbursement when leaving permanently as they didn't believe that the vehicle is not permanent here, but all these rules will come into picture while applying for reimbursement

Before 5years when i checked in RTO website I remember that there are two separate process for change of address and Change of number plate. looks like it is combined now.

When i enquired earlier for change of address for one of my vehicles they said that NOC is not required just pay road tax and submit documents for change of address. To change to KA number plate NOC was asked but i didn't take it forward that time. So i guess in that time Change of address might be sufficient to apply for reimbursement.

But now it is required to change Number plate.

Note from Support: Please restrict smiler usage to two per post only.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 11th July 2014 at 02:05. Reason: See mod note in post
Old 10th July 2014, 14:31   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Road sides do not fall under the definition of "public place"
Are you serious? As far as I understand, even if you smoke from your garden is considered as "public place"
Old 10th July 2014, 15:22   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post

you will have to do the running around, and they will, if in good mood, process your refund at a glacial pace when the value of the rupee would also have depreciated by 10% and ofcourse you will not get the entire amount back.
Old 10th July 2014, 15:23   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Are you serious? As far as I understand, even if you smoke from your garden is considered as "public place"
That is incorrect. If you do not let outsiders into your garden it is your private place and not public. :-)

Anyway, this is seriously OT here but I'll say this much. The definition of public space in COTPA Act (which is the one that bans smoking in public places) is "place visited by the general public but does not include open spaces". Road sides are open spaces (but remember - covered bus stops on the sides of roads are public spaces).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 20:25   #534
BHPian

So how it the RTO drive nowadays. Usually after a few days of intensive drive and filling the treasury with crores in this name , they just fall back till the treasury again runs dry.
Old 11th July 2014, 12:37   #535
BHPian

Heard from a friend of mine there was RTO on Neeladri road next to Wipro gate 16 yesterday as well as today mornings. And there was a line of PB, MH, TN cars.....

This is really getting bad.

FundaG
Old 11th July 2014, 12:53   #536
Senior - BHPian

So for my Civic, which has an invoiced cost of 13L and is 6+ years old, I have to pay about 1.4L in tax in KA.

The resale value of the car, as per some of the portals that do online valuation, is around 3-3.5L.

Tough choice I have. :-)

I should also mention that in these 6+ years, I have lived in AP, WB, MH and now KA (apart from the state where the vehicle is registered, TN). I actually managed to buy an apartment in Bangalore with all the money I saved by not paying this tax in all these states.

Btw, how many water supply trucks/tankers that sport AP numbers have been caught so far?

Last edited by binand : 11th July 2014 at 12:58.
Old 11th July 2014, 13:18   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, how many water supply trucks/tankers that sport AP numbers have been caught so far?
They have a different scheme of taxing the yellow boards. I guess they have to pay annual tax.

However, I do see quite a lot of AP registered tractor-trailer contraptions with White registration plates, running in Bangalore city limits.
Old 11th July 2014, 13:27   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The smokers were doing no wrong either. It is not illegal in India to smoke on the side of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Quote:
Nope. Smoking in public places is. Road sides do not fall under the definition of "public place". Good thing too - if it did, where would the smokers go to smoke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post

But public place does not include open space e.g. Parking space, roads, open market places, parks, private homes etc.

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=48838

Quote:
a. “Public Place’ as defined in the rules means, any place to which the public

has access whether as or right or not, and includes Auditoria, Hospital Buildings, Health Institutions, Amusement Centre, Restaurants, Hotels, Public Offices, Court Buildings, Educational Institutions, Libraries, Public Conveyance, Open Auditoria, Stadia, Clubs, Hookah, Bars (where smoking takes place). Railway Stations, Bus Stops, Workplaces, Shopping Malls, Cinema Halls, Refreshment Rooms, Discotheques, Coffee House, Pubs, Bars, Airport Lounges. But public place does not include open space e.g. Parking space, roads, open market places, parks, private homes etc.

b. Any violation of this act is a punishable offence with fine upto Rs. 200.
Old 11th July 2014, 13:31   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
They have a different scheme of taxing the yellow boards. I guess they have to pay annual tax.

However, I do see quite a lot of AP registered tractor-trailer contraptions with White registration plates, running in Bangalore city limits.
What about some of the BBMP garbage trucks with WB and OR registration??
Old 11th July 2014, 13:42   #540
Senior - BHPian

RTO officials were checking out of state vehicles near Wipro in Ecity around 11 AM today, could see number of cars with AP, UP, DL registration!

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th July 2014 at 13:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks