Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2014, 13:26   #46
BHPian

Re: PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
Tata has been bashed quite a bit, for lacking in quality to continuing with the names Indica, Indigo and Nano. I guess some of that is deserved but not all. Tata I think has shown a commitment to the Nano which is admirable. Despite all the negative publicity surrounding it, Tata seem to have gritted their teeth and have been continuously upgrading the car with features and with each upgrade there also has been an attempt at better QC. The power steering bit was needed, it has been given in the Twist. I have been canvassing for a CVT and now the car is being tested with AMT. As long as costs are not pushed up terribly any kind of auto transmission which is reliable will do.
I understand and appreciate your concern as a loyal Tata owner. And some of your points are infact valid too.

Well, most of us criticizing Tata and their age old policies here in this forum are not doing that just to be sarcastic or sadistic. It is mostly because of sheer disappointment that Tata is not utilizing its real potential to come above the likes of Suzukis and Hyundais and become India's number one car maker.

As Indians we all wanted (and still want) our own Tata or Mahindra to come up as the number one Indian car maker both in quality and quantity.But sadly it never happened.I agree that such a transformation would take time and huge investment too. But Tata had so much time at their disposal.And need I mention about Tata's investment capabilities? But sadly they did not make use of both the resources in an efficient manner to come above their aggressive competitors.Which is exactly what most of us are complaining here.

But I believe that it is never too late.Tata still has got that place in the Indian's heart and they can surely come up if they give their 100%. Sure, there are some positive signs of late, but there is still a long way to go when we consider the current competition.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th March 2015 at 13:00. Reason: Trimming quote
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 17:38   #47
BHPian

Datsun has already launched the Go at an aggressive price point and in another year or so they would have the Redi-Go at a probable price point in the vicinity of Alto 800 and could be that of the proposed Nano AMT as well, given that this variant would cost more.

The key for Nano to succeed in bringing in the numbers would be to have a differentiator that the competition could not match.

How about a Nano Twist CNG AMT - best of all worlds (to convert some of the originally targeted audience of 2 wheeler users) :
1. Most economical automatic (AMT) car - would appeal to all automatic scooter riders used to the convenience.
2. Fuel running costs lower than most commuter bikes @ approx. Rs. 1/ Km (@ CNG price of 39 and claimed mileage @ 36 / Kg in CNG mode).
3. All comforts of a car and increased safety vis-a-vis 2 wheelers.
4. Price should still be in the vicinity of the base versions of competing hatchbacks (option of instalments as offered in the recent past - swipe your CC and drive out in a Nano - would help the upgrading 2 wheeler users)

Imagine travelling in our congested metros in the cool comfort of an automatic car at the running cost of a commuter bike with the ease of an automatic scooter. (Hope it doesn't stay only a dream).

Surprisingly there is not much information, promotions or reviews available on the Nano CNG for reasons best known to who-knows-who. Further, even the top variant of the Nano CNG does not provide a music system / mobile charger etc. which are basic features expected that have since been introduced in the Nano petrol variants.

If they are really serious of making the model a success, the various features should atleast be offered as options at appropriate costs to customers to customize as per need.

Say - customer may want Nano CNG with AMT, music system, mobile charger and power steering. From a practical perspective, this may translate to having a Nano Twist AMT offered with CNG (tanks go under the front seats anyway - not requiring major layout changes). Wonder where the challenge lies ?

Another key is speed to launch - most variants seem to take forever to reach the market place post conceptualisation, by which time the market place has changed. Case in point being the diesel version which was / is being tested for so long that the petrol-diesel rate scenario has changed to such an extent that its launch is being considered for viability.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 21:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
At the risk of sounding argumentative (Of course, I'm not trying to do that...), I'm going to put down a few points:
1. How do we know that problems will start only when we increase power by a factor of 250? How do we know problems will not start at 1.005?
Actually that would be an interesting place to start.
The first mobikes were essentially engines strapped onto (pedal) bicycle frames. It would be interesting and informative to follow the evolution of the motorcycling frame.

Re: the Nano, lets stick with teamveevee's observation.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 15:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

I happened to meet a senior employee of TATA Motors on flight from Pune recently. According to him AMT unit of NANO and CELERIO is sourced from same vendor however NANO will spot a better tranny than CELERIO. Yes, NANO is expected to throw in ECONOMY & SPORT drive modes as an added attraction .
jacs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 21:40   #50
BHPian

Nano is one of the best cars that i have ever ridden how ever people criticize it.Minuses of the car are there..but very positive attitude of Tata will make sure that this wonderful car will come back to limelight once again.

Introduction of power steering, addition of AMT, bigger tyres, openable boot with a bit more dicky space, a redesigned dashboard and a 1L engine will make me dont mind to shed around 3 lakh or a bit more for this car.
urzdeepu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 11:11   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
According to him AMT unit of NANO and CELERIO is sourced from same vendor however NANO will spot a better tranny than CELERIO.
By same vendor do you mean Magneti Marelli or are we talking about a local OEM part manufcturer for AMT.

Cheers
Old 14th April 2014, 10:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
By same vendor do you mean Magneti Marelli or are we talking about a local OEM part manufcturer for AMT.

Cheers
Sorry if I confused you, technology vendor for Celerio and Nano is Magneti Marelli. Units are assembled locally in India by Maruti as per my understanding. Should be same approach for Nano as well.
Old 14th April 2014, 13:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

Read in the papers today that Maruti is doubling the production for Celerio to meet the rising demand. If Magneti Marelli is going to supply the AMT box for the Nano also, wonder how they will meet the demand.
Old 14th April 2014, 14:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

I would really love to see this car on road. Albeit the fact this car will not be cheap. Cheap as in compared to the Alto 800. It will cost ~3.5L I feel (I am assuming the Alto costs 2.5-3.5 L). But getting that auto transmission will surely attract some first time buyers. Is there going to be a diesel option too? If yes, then I wouldn't mind paying more than 3.5 L (i.e. approx ~4-4.5 L) for a diesel nano with an automatic transmission. Overall a good effort by Tata Motors.
Old 10th June 2014, 12:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano AMT with openable hatch has been spied by Rushlane. Here is the link to their report:

http://www.rushlane.com/tata-nano-am...-12121215.html

The keyhole slot for the hatch of the White Nano is clearly visible in the pics, thereby confirming the openable hatch.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 14:14   #56
BHPian

Good move. First the power steering, and now the automatic transmission.

The nano is just one step away from being my city car. Airbags and ABS, please.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 15:07   #57
BANNED

A rear wash/wipe system plus defogger also looks probable on the higher variants. The blackened kink on rear glass bears a testimony to this.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 11:37   #58
BHPian

Folks - Clicked this near Kolhapur on NH4 a couple of weeks back. This gives a clear visibility about the key slot and also the handle to open the rear hatch.

Have watermarked the same to prevent other sites from using it without reference.

Cheers
f1fan
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-nano_rear.jpg  

f1fan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 12:21   #59
BHPian

Tata Nano AMT spotted testing with test equipment.

PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-picsart_1403765125472.jpg

PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-picsart_1403765109664.jpg

PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-picsart_1403765117607.jpg

PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-picsart_1403765088837.jpg

PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-picsart_1403765098625.jpg

Source:: Motorbeam
KING DYSP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 14:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

In my last month visit to ARAI, i spotted Nano AMT test mule with Bolt/Zest style steering wheel.
tushky is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks