Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 10:29   #151
BHPian

Re: PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT

With this feature listed by Aditya, I might consider this Nano for an upgrade from my first gen Nano. Nano has been perfect city car for me with so little driving requirement, except when the clutch starts getting stiff every six months or so.

Nano's manoeuvrability, ease of parking and short turning radius and low cost of ownership make it a practical, no nonsense city car.
avingodb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 11:57   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Nano's manoeuvrability, ease of parking and short turning radius and low cost of ownership make it a practical, no nonsense city car.
I agree. Had a Nano (the non-power steering) version for a couple of days to use and it was absolutely fuss free. Parking that car was a pain though. I'm positive the power-steering solves that issue completely.

The new variant looks nice; but I fail to understand what's with the excessive badging and naming? Tata Nano Twist Active AMT GenX?

Also, I'm glad both the Indian Automotive players and the market alike are warming up to automatic cars. The metros have become horrid to drive in on a daily basis and there is nothing more I'd rather have than an automatic car. Ok, maybe a driver will work too.

Cheers!
Cartman
Old 16th April 2015, 12:42   #153
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The creep function is a welcome thing in traffic. However, I wonder how strong the creeping ability provided by an AMT would be. Torque converters (& CVTs equipped with torque converters) are able to provide a really solid tug forward, even when the car is fully loaded on an incline such a flyover or railway over/under bridge. The forward tug may not be as strong in an AMT (especially on inclines), but it's welcome nevertheless.

Along with the AMT and openable hatch, Tata would do well to provide three-point ELR seatbelts at the rear and front disc brakes. If they can add a driver airbag (along with structural reinforcements), then it would be fantastic. Such a Nano already exists and was sent by Tata to Britain for the legally mandated 56 kmph crash test (not NCAP), which it passed. They would have to do it eventually of course, when India gets a similar crash test requirement. So why not do it right away?
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 12:53   #154
BHPian

This is great news. I'm seriously thinking of getting my second nano. I have been waiting for this since a long time. Creep is certainly an awesome addition. Can't wait. Now only if they would launch it soon!!
Old 16th April 2015, 13:08   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Tata Nano Twist Active AMT GenX?
err, I think it goes like this : Tata Nano Twist Active Ftronic XTA GenX

But to be honest, I really dont care how many names they put there as long as the AMT is launched pronto, a lot of us are waiting for this launch for the sheer convenience the AMT would bring in along with the already available PS.
uday.ere is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 14:07   #156
Senior - BHPian

The AMT is being launched next month as per this article

http://www.gaadi.com/news/exclusive-...iew_Full_Story

I have been wanting one for the longest time and am sure this will be a game changer for the Nano market..... IFF they price it properly.

What more can one ask for? A mll city run around which is as if not more spacious as any of the larger models available today, for a decent price and is fuel efficient too.

Im going to get one after a test drive.!!!
Old 19th April 2015, 17:03   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the first pictures of the Tata Nano GenX:

PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-tatananogenxpressshots.jpg

PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-tatananogenxpressshotsrear.jpg

PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-tatananogenxpressshotsbootlid.jpg

Quote:
The major change though is the functional bootlid, a first on the Nano, that improves the functionality of the city car.

Inside, the small car will now get Tata’s ‘signature’ steering wheel which is a 3-spoke unit similar to the one seen on the Bolt and Zest, but without integrated controls for the music system.

Like the Zest F-Tronic, the Nano AMT too will be equipped with a Sports mode, wherein the system will hold on to each gear until the redline if necessary. IAB learns that according to ARAI tests, the Nano GenX Easy Shift returns 21.9 km/l (for reference, the Nano Twist has an ARAI-rated efficiency of 25.4 km/l). Also, the Nano GenX will come with a larger 24 liter fuel tank, as against the 15 liter can on the current model.

The Tata Nano GenX is supposed to be launched in May 2015, and will feature an AMT variant as well. It will also feature a 110-liter boot space.

SOURCE - IAB & IAB

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th April 2015 at 17:07.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 20:50   #158
BHPian

Looks pretty good and with AMT should be a breeze in the city. Only thing I don't like is the hideous wiper. Why can't they keep it flush with the bottom of windshield as in other cars.
Old 19th April 2015, 20:58   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

A 1.5 lakh difference in price with any other nearest AMT makes this a good choice, esp as a second car / city car.

Waiting for the car to reach the dealerships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The modified front bumper does not do justice to the car. Somehow, it makes the Nano look more downmarket than it is.
+1. But actually did not look that bad in the pics of the Orangish version that's on some websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Only thing I don't like is the hideous wiper.
+1. One thing I would try to do something about. Even if it means losing an inch or so from the wiper length.

Last edited by condor : 19th April 2015 at 20:59.
Old 19th April 2015, 22:34   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A 1.5 lakh difference in price with any other nearest AMT makes this a good choice, esp as a second car / city car.

Waiting for the car to reach the dealerships.

Yep. This one will tick all the boxes for a family's second or third car. Something to go to shops, get groceries, ferry the kids to school and back. Simple, no nonsense car. Would like to see how this fares against the K10 AMT!

I'm not sure if it is image compression or what, that red looks awful to me. And that "grille" (if you may call it that) seems like an afterthought. In comparison, the subtle chrome line that the facelift Nano had received looked much simpler and cleaner.

Also, what is the horizontal slat just above the rear number-plate area? Is that supposed to be the tow-hook?

Cheers!
Cartman
Old 20th April 2015, 07:42   #161
BHPian

Though I am sure that the TASS will say its not possible to retrofit open able hatch to existing Nano's, I will explore that possibility. My Twist is too new to consider any exchange option and I am not swapping it any time soon, not in years.
Old 20th April 2015, 08:04   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cartman : In comparison, the subtle chrome line that the facelift Nano had received looked much simpler and cleaner.

Also, what is the horizontal slat just above the rear number-plate area? Is that supposed to be the tow-hook?
That chrome strip was nice, though I like these round fog lamps.

That horizontal slat may be a design element. The current Nano has a provision for a detachable hook in the left side side of the bumper. I guess that would continue.
Old 20th April 2015, 13:43   #163
BHPian

The updated Nano look good, the AMT and the hatch are good additions to make the Nano the perfect city car. But in terms of functional upgrades, I was expecting disc brakes at the front and a 5 speed gearbox. These would have been great improvements to the Nano. Nevertheless, I'm eager to test drive the new Nano and consider whether to upgrade my 2011 Nano to the Easy Shift model.
Old 20th April 2015, 14:43   #164
BHPian

I spoke to Concorde Motors in Bangalore a while ago and they confirmed the launch is planned within next 2 weeks and cars have reached the stock yard. However none of the cars that have been dispatched are of AMT version and only OTG (Openable Tail Gate) version is being launched at present. AMT versions might be delayed by a month.

They are accepting advance booking though. Planning to book an AMT for wifey.
Pardus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 15:15   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

That sounds like the GenX XE variant ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks