Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 12:23   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT

Aren't the head lamps too high? Also, why do then have to make them so big extending even above the waist line :(
Old 7th May 2015, 17:07   #272
Senior - BHPian

Having owned one in the past and being fully aware of its Pro's and Cons, now as a prospective re-owner (if there's any such term like that!), I am looking forward to the launch.

In all likelihood, I would perhaps wait for a couple of months and then buy the Nano by diwali time.

I was looking for various reviews on the car and came across a very unique review:

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/05/car...ootout-review/

Nano AMT V/s Alto K10 AMT

Seems Alto wins only on the basis of K10 engine.
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 17:21   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/05/car...ootout-review/

Nano AMT V/s Alto K10 AMT

Seems Alto wins only on the basis of K10 engine.
With due regards to your views; contrary to your observation, I see that Alto outclasses the Nano in all departments like performance, fuel efficiency, handling, braking, boot space, interior design, quality, service and resale.

The only positives of the Nano over the Alto were it being more spacious, easy to drive, has better GC and will cost probably a lakh less.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 7th May 2015 at 17:23.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 18:16   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
saket77 : The only positives of the Nano over the Alto were it being more spacious, easy to drive, has better GC and will cost probably a lakh less.
The cost is a big differentiator. In Bangalore, the Alto K10 AMT is a clear 1.5L more than the expected price of the Genx Nano.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 19:33   #275
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support: When you post on Team-BHP, make sure it's neutral / unbiased content. We have a strict stand against biased posts.

Accept a car for what it is...the good and the bad.

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2015 at 08:15.
damodar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th May 2015, 21:22   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

The only positives of the Nano over the Alto were it being more spacious, easy to drive, has better GC and will cost probably a lakh less.

Regards,
Saket
Aren't these more important in city traffic where most of the time is spent idling at red lights or crawling in first two gears. The difference in price between the Alto and Nano has to take in account the excellent audio system in the nano which can easily cost up to 10,000 rs.
As far as resale goes when buying a car at 1.3 laks lesser money that is nearly 25% of what Alto costs the initial down payment and associated insurance costs will be much easier on the pocket. And since there will not be thousands of Nano AMT s running on road the second hand car market will have less supply so I am assuming that resale value will not be as bad as earlier gen Nano,s.In pure numbers terms I see the Alto K10 AMT and Nano AMT loosing the same over a period of 2-3 years.

Last edited by damodar : 7th May 2015 at 21:26.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 00:55   #277
BHPian

I have posted something similar here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3698928

Disclaimer: Proud Nano owner & seriously considering the upgrade.

I believe comparing the Nano to the Alto K10 or the Eon is not right. Definitely not the Celerio !
Like there is a B & B=, D & D+ segment - I believe AltoK10, Eon are the A segment. Celerio would be A+ and Nano would be A- !
It is seriously in a different segment of it's own.
Between the quadracycle Bajaj RE60 and the Alto 800 (still comparable to a minor extent).
600 cc v/s 1000 cc - 40% difference !
& 3.2 lakhs v/s 4.9 lakhs - 50% difference !
How can these 2 be compared?

In my opinion it is outright simple:
FIRST & only car - going to be used for anything and everything? - Start shopping at 4 lakhs+
I would rather pay a tad more and go for Celerio than K10 - or get a good pre-owned car.

Already have a good sedan, SUV that you love. Need a second car. For the wife? Small errands? Pure city driving? Backup car when the big one goes for servicing? Drop the kids to school? Congested market drives? Rush hour Sunday mall trips?
Look no further than the Nano GenX. (Or even a pre-owned Nano Twist) PS makes a big difference!
One really cannot appreciate the significant difference of the compact dimensions and high seating position till you have driven it through a traffic laden, space crunched Mumbai road. NO other car can beat that. (untill the SMART car comes to India).

In the GenX avatar it is INDEED a proper car. Maybe what it should have been from day 1. But it still cannot and should not be compared to Alto K10.

It cannot be beaten in terms of VFM either.
3.2 lakhs + 3100 for Gold AMC for 3 years which covers EVERY consumable you can imagine including OIL & servicing, clutch & brake wear and tear.
Take the 1.5 lakhs difference (from the Alto K10) - pump it all into a few blue chip stocks.
After 2 years 11 months sell the Nano for approx 90,000 (worst case scenario) and enjoy the 2.8 lakhs (minimum conservative estimate) of your blue chip portfolio - and buy the latest Nano available then.

I know there are MANY who have taken the Nano to Mahabaleshwar, Ladakh and many other steep slopes and long drives.
I salute the adventurous spirit, but I still maintain - it is the PERFECT city car. Period.
Highway - I would personally not prefer to have any car without airbags & ABS running on our Indian highways. Definitely not the Nano.
It's a different story that one great man, a legend, envisioned something for the common man of India, wished to offer him better protection and comfort than the 2 wheeler at just a fraction more. By God - HE did deliver.
Salute to the legend for that and the entire team.
But that 'platform' has much more of a scope. Much more potential. They finally seem to have got it right with the GenX. It may mobilize the masses some day - but I don't think it belongs on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Sorry.... and neither does the tinny Alto.

Already in line for a test drive.
Shall post my comments soon.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 10:08   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With due regards to your views; contrary to your observation, I see that Alto outclasses the Nano in all departments like performance, fuel efficiency, handling, braking, boot space, interior design, quality, service and resale.

Regards,
Saket
Performance means it is related to engine, aint it? While I would agree that Alto's dashboard is more contemporary and modern, Nano's is not that bad and is much loaded than an Alto.

Further, Alto is not at all a spacious car; ever tried drinking from a 1 litre bottle in the driver's seat in either an Alto or Nano? You would know what I mean.

Having said this, I firmly believe, Nano is a proper city car and should never be taken on the highway. It is a perfect upgrade (or in some cases, a downgrade) for daily office commutes on busy roads. These days, a Pulsar costs upwards of 1.20 Lakhs (RS200) and gives a mileage of 35 KMPL; Nano with AC will give you 20 KMPL and is not a bad deal at all. I am pretty sure that the EMI between a pulsar and Nano is hardly a INR 2000 difference.

If I am buying an affordable car, I would want to use it for 5 years, post that, whatever I get is a bonus on the resale of the car.
amtak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 10:35   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The cost is a big differentiator. In Bangalore, the Alto K10 AMT is a clear 1.5L more than the expected price of the Genx Nano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Aren't these more important in city traffic where most of the time is spent idling at red lights or crawling in first two gears. The difference in price between the Alto and Nano has to take in account the excellent audio system in the nano which can easily cost up to 10,000 rs.
As far as resale goes when buying a car at 1.3 laks lesser money that is nearly 25% of what Alto costs the initial down payment and associated insurance costs will be much easier on the pocket. And since there will not be thousands of Nano AMT s running on road the second hand car market will have less supply so I am assuming that resale value will not be as bad as earlier gen Nano,s.In pure numbers terms I see the Alto K10 AMT and Nano AMT loosing the same over a period of 2-3 years.
Dear Friends,

I certainly get the fact that the Nano is much cheaper than the Alto and associated costs will be less too. That is certainly easy on the pocket. However, I was replying to Amtak's post which said that Alto wins only on the basis of a better engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Performance means it is related to engine, aint it? While I would agree that Alto's dashboard is more contemporary and modern, Nano's is not that bad and is much loaded than an Alto.

Further, Alto is not at all a spacious car; ever tried drinking from a 1 litre bottle in the driver's seat in either an Alto or Nano? You would know what I mean.

Having said this, I firmly believe, Nano is a proper city car and should never be taken on the highway. It is a perfect upgrade (or in some cases, a downgrade) for daily office commutes on busy roads. These days, a Pulsar costs upwards of 1.20 Lakhs (RS200) and gives a mileage of 35 KMPL; Nano with AC will give you 20 KMPL and is not a bad deal at all. I am pretty sure that the EMI between a pulsar and Nano is hardly a INR 2000 difference.

If I am buying an affordable car, I would want to use it for 5 years, post that, whatever I get is a bonus on the resale of the car.
Yes Amtak, performance means better engine performance as the term is used.

However, there were other parameters mentioned on which Alto wins hands down like better FE despite having a more powerful engine (related to the engine), braking, handling, bigger boot, interior design, quality, service and resale - which are not related to the engine. Also, though both Alto and Nano are unsafe vehicles, IMO, Alto still has an edge over Nano in terms of safety. Regarding the resale, the more you get, the better; isn't it? No prizes for guessing that Maruti commands a better resale. Interior space for pax is certainly a plus in a Nano; I agree. Not to take away any credit for the Tata Car, what it certainly offers is ease of driving, parking and better AC and of course, pax space. All this for at least a lakh rupee cheaper.

On the other point, comparing a car with a bike(even in terms of price) is an unfair proposition. There are a lot of bikes which cost more than a C segment car, but that is hardly a point of comparison.

Regards,
Saket
Old 8th May 2015, 10:49   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

I certainly get the fact that the Nano is much cheaper than the Alto and associated costs will be less too. That is certainly easy on the pocket. However, I was replying to Amtak's post which said that Alto wins only on the basis of a better engine.

Yes Amtak, performance means better engine performance as the term is used.

On the other point, comparing a car with a bike(even in terms of price) is an unfair proposition. There are a lot of bikes which cost more than a C segment car, but that is hardly a point of comparison.

Regards,
Saket
While I would agree that comparing a Nano V/s a bike is not a right thing, original idea of the coception of Nano was to replace an avg biker with something safe. Nano wins here hands down. In terms of running costs, it is comparable to a pulsar and may be better. See how much a bajaj dealer would cost you would know how expensive bikes have become on a YOY basis.
Old 11th May 2015, 18:59   #281
BHPian

Visited a showroom to see the Next Gen Tata Nano. Only the manual variant was on display, but the vehicle looked good overall. Quality was decent for an economical product. We are looking to buy the AMT variant. One thing that impressed me the most was the heft in both the bonnet and boot-lid. Both felt fairly strong and in my opinion were stronger than in the Alto, Eon & Dat Go. I left the bonnet from a good height and it slammed shut with a loud solid metallic noise, pointing to the amount of weight in the bonnet.

The doors on the other hand felt fairly light, though the Tata sales rep mentioned that an additional side impact beam has been added in the doors to improve safety. This is in addition to the extension of the front bumper to improve the crumple zone area.
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 07:38   #282
Senior - BHPian

Alto was always bought as a second car or by people buying their first car, when they were hard pressed to buy anything else. There is nothing enthusiastic in the chassis, the engine or the tiny interiors. I have owned one as my first car so I know. Also with extreme lack of safety features, it is silly to drive these things at high speeds or on highways were in lack of abs, narrow tyres and susceptibility to crosswinds make it a dangerous vehicle. Alto in any avatar is at best a city car, and speaking of city car, it gets trumped thoroughly by the Nano, which is easier to drive, easier to park, more maneuverable, delivers better fuel economy, substantially cheaper, has better interior space and now with the AMT, power steering and operable hatch is a far better city car.
I am saying all this having owned the Alto for around 7 years and driven a VX 1.1 (comparable to the new 1 liter) for about 2 years and driven the earlier Nano for about a month. Like most of us here I too loved these cars and have done stupid stunts of driving the Alto from Bangalore to Mumbai and all, but now looking back it was mistake and sheer good fortune saved me from any untoward incident enroute. Now I will look at the Alto Nano brigade only as a city runabout useful when rains prevent taking the bike out

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2015 at 08:16. Reason: Quoted post deleted
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 09:42   #283
BHPian

Got a call from the dealer that the AMT is available for showroom display. The TD has not started as yet but they expect it to start later this week.
No indication of the costs from the dealer.
LonelyPlanet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 14:40   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Alto was always bought as a second car or by people buying their first car, when they were hard pressed to buy anything else. There is nothing enthusiastic in the chassis, the engine or the tiny interiors. I have owned one as my first car so I know. Also with extreme lack of safety features, it is silly to drive these things at high speeds or on highways were in lack of abs, narrow tyres and susceptibility to crosswinds make it a dangerous vehicle. Alto in any avatar is at best a city car, and speaking of city car, it gets trumped thoroughly by the Nano, which is easier to drive, easier to park, more maneuverable, delivers better fuel economy, substantially cheaper, has better interior space and now with the AMT, power steering and operable hatch is a far better city car.
I am saying all this having owned the Alto for around 7 years and driven a VX 1.1 (comparable to the new 1 liter) for about 2 years and driven the earlier Nano for about a month. Like most of us here I too loved these cars and have done stupid stunts of driving the Alto from Bangalore to Mumbai and all, but now looking back it was mistake and sheer good fortune saved me from any untoward incident enroute. Now I will look at the Alto Nano brigade only as a city runabout useful when rains prevent taking the bike out
I have to disagree with you on almost everything here and personally I don't find the generic branding of the majority of road users as stupid people anywhere near amusing.

Hard pressed to buy anything else: Not necessarily, I know a lot of folks who are happy with the Alto because it suits their needs. Cars of past and present had/have prices overlapping that of the Alto and yet they never posed a serious threat to the Alto. The Hyundai Eon can be taken as an example.

Second car: I will have to take your word for it, I don't know anyone buying an Alto as a second car, though I know a lot of people who have retained the Alto after getting a different car.

Highway qualifications: If driven carefully and within limits, the Alto has every right to be in a highway. Driven otherwise, everything on road is "silly" and "dangerous". Majority of the Indian cars lack the same safety features that the Alto lacks. If the Alto is silly and dangerous, so are most of the current cars.

Crosswinds: Having owned and driven the Alto (2005 Lx) for six years, I have not found it susceptible to crosswinds. And that is quite unlikely too considering its profile which offers one of the lowest cross sectional area among Indian cars. Using your logic, pretty much all tall body cars cannot be wisely used on the highway.

Maneuverability: The Nano's smaller turning radius and ultralight steering indeed gives it some nimbleness. But that does not always translate into maneuverability in city driving. This is because the Nano engine mated with the tall gearing simply lacks the punch of the Alto. So in the Nano you can gracefully come out of the slipstream of the vehicle ahead and spend an eternity overtaking it. Any day, the Alto will do better in the city, only at parking lot speeds will the Nano have an advantage over the Alto. I alternate between a sedan and the Nano when going to office (in Bangalore city) and the sedan has a 3 - 4 minute advantage over the Nano every day.

Mileage: Over the last four months I got an in city mileage of 13.x for the Nano, friends of mine use Alto in the same region and they get higher mileage. So would appreciate it if you can share the source for the statement that the Nano has higher mileage in the city.

Highways and extreme lack of safety features: Let us take the KTM RC 200 bike. No ABS, no airbags, no seat belts and no EBD. Are you saying that it is not advisable to ride the RC 200 on a highway? I am missing the point where the car is more dangerous to occupy than a bike on a highway. I had had a lot of great rides on highways with my Yamaha RXG, I don't look back and shiver.

Nano/Alto and the rain: Again, skewed perception. FYI, you can take it out in the blazing sun where their AC keeps you more comfortable than your two wheeler. You can take it out when you have more than one person who need to travel with you. You can take it out when you and your spouse want to pick up a new TV. You can also take it out in the rain. The "brigade" has more than one use for a small car, we don't buy cars to be used for just a few months in an year. And you are talking about the most sold small car in this planet.

Cheaper, yes. Better space utilization, yes. Most of the rest, your opinion may be not be close to reality, it seems to be more of a post-upgrade enlightenment.

Last edited by sun_king : 12th May 2015 at 14:45.
sun_king is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 19:07   #285
BHPian

Ah for a debate between an Alto and a Nano , my vote goes to Nano for having a slight edge .

Have owned an Alto for 3+ years myself while got a ride in a service centre's 60k kms old Nano for 50-60 kms (mix of highway + city ), i found the Nano to be at Par at a much lower cost.

Ah well ,i know it may be a bit lower powered compared to the Alto, but i found it riding slightly more stable on the highways .

Whatever it is , i would definitely prefer the Nano if in the market for a small car again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks