Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2015, 12:59   #256
BHPian

I wish tata pushes more of these cars on the road for social validity. If we have enough being driven around on roads, perceptions would change.

They could do a special offer for 'doctors, government employees, entrepreneurs, students, women or something along those lines to push sales as a second car to upmarket customers. And keep the brand communication upmarket. Stay away from' hamara bajaj ' style khushiyon ki chabi. More contemporary.

If nano was hived off from Tata and positioned as a smart city car like against the huge sedans/suvs /muvs driven in cities by a single passenger, it could be powerful.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Mini Cooper in' The Italian Job'

A small nano sliding in between two innovas in the city.
Old 2nd May 2015, 15:47   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
.. something along those lines to push sales as a second car to upmarket customers. And keep the brand communication upmarket. Stay away from' hamara bajaj ' style khushiyon ki chabi. More contemporary.

If nano was .. positioned as a smart city car like against the huge sedans/suvs /muvs driven in cities by a single passenger, it could be powerful.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Mini Cooper in' The Italian Job'
+1. A more contemporary looks, and push it's advantages as the car for the city commute. Esp as a second car.
Old 2nd May 2015, 16:25   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1. A more contemporary looks, and push it's advantages as the car for the city commute. Esp as a second car.

I'd agree too. Wonder what made them hold back and not go in for something as classy looking as the Europa Concept. I've maintained time and again that the Europa should've been the Nano in the first place. Or maybe, they could've even positioned the Europa one notch higher with a bigger engine or higher state of tune. Would've certainly gotten them some footfalls and sales. If TATA wishes to push an economical car as a niche product, make sure it looks the part. Not saying the current facelift doesn't look good, but in my books the refresh was the best looking.

I'm done being apprehensive about TATAs being shoddy. If the enthusiast does not acknowledge the efforts the home manufacturer is putting in to deliver better products and better prices, I don't know who should. With all these facelifts and new launches, TATA does look determined to change it's image. And I'd be very happy if they did. This might seem too big a move, but I reckon it is time to rest badges like the 'Indica', 'Safari' and 'Sumo'. Let the young guns take over.

Cheers!
Cartman
Old 2nd May 2015, 16:45   #259
BHPian

A very balanced review which shows the the car in its true light with its strengths and weakness.

Last edited by damodar : 2nd May 2015 at 16:47.
damodar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 22:12   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
Do let us know your comparitive thoughts!
Quote:
I suggest you take a drive of the new one as soon as it comes in to get a better idea. I would also suggest that you hold off the TD of the Alto for the moment, but do a back-to-back TD's to get a better comparative view of the two cars.
As the dealer brought the test drive car to my house, I decided to do a test drive of the K10. I have provided details of the test drive comparison in a different thread as I thought it would be OT in this thread.

Here is the link to the post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3698865

I have told the Maruti SA that I will need one more test drive for a back to back comparision when the Nano test drive car is available, and I would take the final decision only after that.

However, I should mention that my wife is more inclined towards the K10 for its better interiors and NVH levels.
Old 4th May 2015, 08:04   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
A very balanced review which shows the the car in its true light with its strengths and weakness.
Nice review. I would love to own the Nano AMT as a second car for city use. The Nano MT pulls well for its modest engine right? A bit confused to hear why the new 5 speed comes out as lethargic.

If someone at Tata is reading this, I would love to own a variant without the fancy stuff. Black bumpers, black interiors, No need for Bluetooth or openable hatch. Just needs AC, Power Steering, AMT, front power windows and Central locking. And no sport mode please.

For a car like Nano AMT, Tata really shouldn't bother with multiple engine maps. A default mode which works well in the city would be great. Let it top out at a lower speed (say 75 KPH), but what matters is the acceleration and the ability to be in as high a gear as possible. Eager to take a TD and waiting for the review that matters.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 08:26   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
A bit confused to hear why the new 5 speed comes out as lethargic.
"Lethargic" is more to do with the AMT shift logic than the engine. Even when I was driving the K10 AMT that also has the 5 speed AMT (I am assuming Nano uses the same AMT), in auto mode, the shifts were very slow. You could feel the loss of power for almost a second while the gear shift is taking place. Also, the AMT upshifts quite early at less than 2000RPM. Because of this you never get instantaneous power for those occasional overtaking. If you need quick response, and power on tap, shift to manual and keep the RPM above 2000, and you will see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...but what matters is the acceleration and the ability to be in as high a gear as possible.
Both acceleration and ability to stay at higher gear require torque. With just 50Nm of torque, Nano definitely will not meet both the expectations. However, for city traffic, at speeds less than 40kph, and where you do not need sudden surges of power, Nano should do the job well.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 10:17   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nano GenX will replace the current Nano Twist, but the CNG eMax variant will continue to be on sale, reports Motorbeam.

Quote:
In its newest form, the 2015 Nano GenX has come very close to its true calling with a tonne of new features as it looks to replace the outgoing version in a few weeks. Apart from repositioning the Nano, Tata Motors will phase out the existing version of the small car over the next 6 weeks, save for the CNG equipped ‘eMax’ variant that will continue to be on sale.

Tata Motors has been updating the Nano with new features every year and the Nano GenX Easy Shift is by far the most comprehensively revised version seen on the model bringing it up-to-date with cars that cost almost twice its price.

Tata Motors will eventually upgrade the CNG variant as well to the GenX version but that is expected to happen once the existing stock clears off.
SOURCE - Motorbeam
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 12:23   #264
BHPian

There has been lots that have been mentioned on the "Customer Service" part of Tata's. With my experience it seems to be on par of the other manufacturers.

I had registered on the website for a test drive of the new AMT next gen Nano on Saturday. I immediately received a SMS thanking me and mentioning that a CSE would get in touch with me soon. It also had a number from which I could expect a call. So far so good.

Yesterday, I received a call from their call centre and was told that they would pass on my number to the closest dealer to my house. Was also given the location of all the dealers in Chennai. Gave them two options and was told that someone from Concorde motors would get in touch. The lady seemed to have all the answers on the product except the launch date and the ex showroom price. Nice.

This morning I received a call from Concorde motors in Guindy and was told that the test drive vehicle had not arrived to the showroom and he did not know the ex showroom price, but he had all the specs and the colours in which the Nano would be launched.

Bad customer service - I don't think so. Will this positive experience continue - I don't know, but I hope it does.
ksmrsm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 12:32   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+ a more contemporary sound ! I am always put off by that.
Even single cylinder motorbikes have better exhaust sound. Not sure why Tata couldn't manage it.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 10:47   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nano GenX AMT will be launched on May 19th, according to IAB.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:10   #267
BHPian

Just got a call from the dealer, GenX is now available for test drive.
jeepster_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 15:24   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
+ a more contemporary sound ! I am always put off by that.
Even single cylinder motorbikes have better exhaust sound. Not sure why Tata couldn't manage it.
Probably because of the tiny silencer muffler. Since the engine is rear mounted, there is no space for a bigger exhaust muffler to be fitted. Tata must do something to the exhaust note. It is a turn off for many.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 19:46   #269
Senior - BHPian

This came in the mail. Guess it's ready.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT-nano.png  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 21:46   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

This has been around for almost 10 days now ..
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks