Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 17:15   #316
BHPian

Re: PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT

Ouch!! This pricing is on the higher side. I am not too sure if I would proceed with this. 3.8 lakhs on road is quite high IMHO.
Old 18th May 2015, 17:54   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Does Tata thinks that Nano(s) are selling like hotcakes in the market? The pricing strategy definitely seems so! You know what a general person would think like - '4 lacs for a Nano! I can get an Eon or an Alto for that much!'

Indeed as Condor said, it may be a final 'tata' to the Nano. Would also like to add that barring the AMT technology, this Nano is what should have been the 1st gen Nano. With these subtle changes, the prices have gone up in a manner which is not proportional to the improvements (but not the image of the car). A regular first time car buyer will not plonk 4 big ones for a Nano. At least not in Tier-II cities, where I see most Nano buyers being first time car buyers looking for a budget car.

With the repeated efforts to revive this car, I feel that a lobby in TML is hell-bent on making the Nano sell. Not a bad thing, but then the same effort can be put to other deserving cars like the Zest and the Bolt. It is the time to shun the Nano. The statement may be a turn-off to many BHPians, but probably Tata is trying too much at the cost of itself.

Thanks!

Last edited by saket77 : 18th May 2015 at 17:55.
Old 18th May 2015, 17:56   #318
BHPian

Re: "Tata Nano", or "Tata, Nano" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Would you like to buy one at this price ? I dont think so..

So, that's it folks. Unless TML springs a big surprise tomorrow, I think we can either wait for discounts to bring the price to more realistic levels, or we start looking for options.

I thought it would be a Tata Nano for me, but looks like it will be "Tata, Nano"
Alto AT is at OTR of 4.91L which is 1+ lakh more than this Nano XTA. Do we still consider the Nano XTA pricing to be on the higher side ?
But for the Engine spec there is nothing that Alto can be considered better in anyway.
I saw few comments about Alto's pathetic AC performance and the car performance due to AC which are not the case with Nano though its puny/tiny !

I just want to understand why you think its priced higher ? Just that it didnt meet your pricing expectation ?

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 18:01   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I just want to understand why you think its priced higher ? Just that it didnt meet your pricing expectation ?
Prem.
Maybe you have a point , but somehow i have to agree with Condor,
@ 3.8L, the brand NANO ,in whatever avtar, is asking for a little bit too much.
Should have been 3.20L (at the most)
Don't know where is TML headed.
madhu33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 18:07   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Maybe you have a point , but somehow i have to agree with Condor,
@ 3.8L, the brand NANO ,in whatever avtar, is asking for a little bit too much.
Should have been 3.20L (at the most)
Don't know where is TML headed.
I think, I know the reason now. We are not ready to pay TATA anything more than what we think the pricing should be

I just checked up and got to know there is NO AT option in Hyundai Eon at all ! But, we still compare Nano AMT with Eon. Why ?

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 18:14   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Alto AT is at OTR of 4.91L which is 1+ lakh more than this Nano XTA. Do we still consider the Nano XTA pricing to be on the higher side ?
But for the Engine spec there is nothing that Alto can be considered better in anyway.
I saw few comments about Alto's pathetic AC performance and the car performance due to AC which are not the case with Nano though its puny/tiny !

Probably your question is directed towards Condor, but I hope you don't mind me chipping in.

Prem, cars really aren't priced based on the manufacturing costs. They are priced to slot into a segment, against their competitors, riding on the demand, brand value and aspirational value. Where this pricing strategy fails is that Nano is not really a segment topper, neither a threat to any competitor, has low demand and Tata's brand value and aspirational value, unfortunately is nothing to talk about. Feel sad for a homegrown brand like Tata, but then when I buy a car with my hard earned money, I do not go patriotic.

Also, lets not take away the good points from Alto over the Nano (& vice-versa) talking just about the engine size. I remember having such a discussion in this thread itself with the members. For your convenience, I would re-iterate that the Alto has better & bigger engine, ironically better FE, better brakes, better stability, better tires, a more usable boot and will fare little better in case of crashes. Comes backed by Maruti which is another major plus.

About the Nano, it has more pax space, smaller footprint, more chuckable in city & a better AC. But its biggest advantage is the price. Nano hardly sells for reasons other than price, at least in Tier-II & Tier-III towns and with such ridiculous pricing, Tata is itself digging a grave for the Nano. People who really care about factors other than price are mostly looking for a second car for the city.

Hence, I am convinced that Tata has messed up with the pricing once again.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 18th May 2015 at 18:23.
Old 18th May 2015, 18:28   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
P
Also, lets not take away the good points from Alto over the Nano (& vice-versa) talking just about the engine size. I remember having such a discussion in this thread itself with the members. For your convenience, I would re-iterate that the Alto has better & bigger engine, ironically better FE, better brakes, better stability, better tires, a more usable boot and will fare little better in case of crashes. Comes backed by Maruti which is another major plus.
Have owned an Alto myself, its not all that superior to a Nano.
(personal opinion. No offence please)

But 3.8L for Nano is a heartbreak at the moment. Was wanting to get 1 for the wifey, thereby paving way for the storme for myself.
Now lets see how it goes. Waiting for the discounts.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 19:17   #323
BHPian

Bangalore has a highest road tax so Alto K10 AMT price in Bangalore will be 1.2 laks more than a Nano AMT.If all you need is an automatic car for the city for short distances are there any options below 4 laks?
Old 18th May 2015, 19:26   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Have owned an Alto myself, its not all that superior to a Nano.
(personal opinion. No offence please)
No question of taking any offence. We are all here to discuss and share our insight.
Coming to the discussion, though I have owned neither but have driven both cars, the Alto fared better in the points I stated above; of course except the crash thing That is again my personal opinion. Nano has its good points too, as stated. Let's avoid comparing Nano to Alto's performance as this might take the thread off-topic.

Quote:
But 3.8L for Nano is a heartbreak at the moment. Was wanting to get 1 for the wifey, thereby paving way for the storme for myself.
Now lets see how it goes. Waiting for the discounts.
Looks like you will have to wait! The pricing of Nano is denting Storme's sale! Implications can be deeper than what one perceives!

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 20:05   #325
BHPian

Quote:

Prem.
With 4L you can easily get an used automatic hatch, maybe four or five years old, but can run for another five. Any used internal combustion hatch available has more power, better braking, stability, boot space and then some more.

The Nano build quality is no match for these hatches and as Saket77 mentioned the hard earned money not just thrown away on hype. In the long run, if you are not that inclined to own a new vehicle, it makes a lot of sense to go for a pre-owned hatchback. Tata needs to consider used automatics as a competition too.

Wait for TML to announce the discounts as it is usually the case. Then you will know how much it is overpriced. I got close to 50K "discount" for my Nano Twist last year. I was in the Maruti Showroom on Friday and there were NO discounts or offers for the Alto K10 AMT. (No corporate offers, no exchange bonus, nothing!). The way Maruti is handling the K10 sales, I get the feeling that they expect the demand for K10 AMT to be stable. So far the bookings for the XTA pales in comparison to what the Celerio got when it was launched.
Old 18th May 2015, 20:15   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Prem.
The nano is percieved to be a 1.X L Car. The Alto on the other hand is percieved to be a 2.X L car. Recent branding and advertising campaigns have helped bring some more acceptance of its current value proposition. Still, the alto is percieved as a 'proper' car, and mentally one segment above the nano, and the maruti badge adds some more brand premium (or rather, the lack of a tata badge )

thus the value premium that the alto amt enjoys in the average customer's mind is far more than 25% ( I'd say somewhere between 50 & 100 %), and therefore more people end up switching to the alto. The nano might be a superior product, but the alto is perceived to be better.

Something like why people would rather buy an entry level sedan than a fully loaded hatch.
Old 18th May 2015, 20:19   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
With 4L you can easily get an used automatic hatch, maybe four or five years old, but can run for another five. Any used internal combustion hatch available has more power, better braking, stability, boot space and then some more.

The Nano build quality is no match for these hatches and as Saket77 mentioned the hard earned money not just thrown away on hype. In the long run, if you are not that inclined to own a new vehicle, it makes a lot of sense to go for a pre-owned hatchback. Tata needs to consider used automatics as a competition too.

Wait for TML to announce the discounts as it is usually the case. Then you will know how much it is overpriced. I got close to 50K "discount" for my Nano Twist last year. I was in the Maruti Showroom on Friday and there were NO discounts or offers for the Alto K10 AMT. (No corporate offers, no exchange bonus, nothing!). The way Maruti is handling the K10 sales, I get the feeling that they expect the demand for K10 AMT to be stable. So far the bookings for the XTA pales in comparison to what the Celerio got when it was launched.
For 4L i can get you a used Automatic Mercedes as well, which be loaded and safer than any usual hatch can ever be.
We are talking of new cars here, and as a city run about, Nano is hard to match; yes the AMT is pricey, but at the price point, it does not have any competition.
Old 18th May 2015, 21:53   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
kaviprem : I just want to understand why you think its priced higher ? Just that it didnt meet your pricing expectation ?
Prem, I quote some of the points posted by our friends here.
Quote:
sun_king : With 4L you can easily get an used automatic hatch, maybe four or five years old, but can run for another five.

Tata needs to consider used automatics as a competition too.

Wait for TML to announce the discounts as it is usually the case. Then you will know how much it is overpriced.

greenhorn : The nano is percieved to be a 1.X L Car. ... Recent branding and advertising campaigns have helped bring some more acceptance of its current value proposition.
And some of mine:

Like Sun_King said, Tata needs to consider used AT hatches as a competition too. Seriously, at 3.8L OTR, I am considering used AT hatches now. It is not about Nano being priced less than a car that is similar in some aspects, better in a couple (A/c etc) and lacking in a couple of others (no disc brakes). It is about what I can get for the same money - and used AT hatchbacks become a viable option.

For 3.8L, I would definitely want disc brakes. And decent ability to climb gradients. There are a few in the areas I often go to, and I dont want to hold up traffic. I am yet ot take a full TD, and I will check this aspect too.

Had it been even 3.4L OTR Bangalore, I would have seriously considered it before I ticked it off the list. But now I am having to start looking at options even before a proper TD.

Like Greenie said, people's perception of the Nano is still that of a 1.xL car. Tata had an excellent chance of a make over if they had make the styling more contemporary. But the old style still continues, with the old image. A combination that will be difficult to shake away.

But if they had got in the styling, and disc brakes, and hopefully ability to climb gradients without running out of breath, I would have paid this much.
Old 18th May 2015, 22:29   #329
BHPian

3.8L for an automatic in Bangalore with <25k on odo - not possible !! Min for that configuration is ~5L. So not a bad option for a second car for wifey where easy of use is a priority.
LonelyPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 22:37   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

For 3.8L, I would definitely want disc brakes. And decent ability to climb gradients. There are a few in the areas I often go to, and I dont want to hold up traffic. I am yet ot take a full TD, and I will check this aspect too.

If the NANO AMT is bad in climbing gradients wouldn't it be problem tackling even the basement parking ramps which are quite steep? See if switching off the A/C gives the added boost while doing that. Also do try the manual on regular gradients with the A/C switched off, even in my Eon I have problems climbing steep ramps with the A/C on.

Last edited by damodar : 18th May 2015 at 22:39.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks