Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2014, 08:43   #16
BANNED

re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
1.6 DDIS or Peugeot's DV6 1.6 HDi?
I guess the fiat engine will be more refined, considering the 309 experience. But that was from an old generation.
Whether it is mjd from Fiat or hdi from Peogeot, Maruti will call it 1.6DDIS.
Old 3rd May 2014, 08:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

That is news! Albeit not an exciting one!

I would have preferred to see the 1.6 MJD on the S Cross. Was longing for that in fact after seeing the recent ACI podcast. In fairness, this is purely a personal thing, as I know nothing about the Peugeot unit.

So, will we see Maruti sharing the engines with future Ford models here?
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I guess the fiat engine will be more refined, considering the 309 experience. But that was from an old generation.
Whether it is mjd from Fiat or hdi from Peogeot, Maruti will call it 1.6DDIS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Which one is more Refined/Reliable between the two?

1.6 DDIS or Peugeot's DV6 1.6 HDi?
I guess if the DV6 is being used by MINI Cooper then it would be a much higher end engine than DDIS.
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 13:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
At a time when all the media is abuzz with rumors of SX4 cross getting Fiat's 1.6 Mutijet engine, Maruti is indeed planning a surprise. The engine they are testing under the hoods of the soon to be launched SX4 Cross is not the 1.6 Multijet from Fiat but PSA Peugeot Citroen's DV6 1.6 Litre CRDI Diesel engine. This is one of the Diesel engines jointly developed by Ford and PSA Peugeot Citroen and is also used by Ford.

In other markets this engine comes with two different power outputs, 90hp FGT and 110hp VGT. I expect it to be 110hp VGT version. The same engine also powers the Mini Cooper Diesel.

The plastic cover on the top has Maruti Suzuki logo on it. Just like some of the Ford cars, the large Turbocharger is mounted on the front side. The plumbing has large prominent plastic covers. The Intercooler looks strange.

There is no confirmed information on whether this engine is likely to be used for YL1 sedan as well.

This is all for now. Little Birdie says hello to Team-BHPians!
Has Little Birdie got any info on whether the petrol version will come with AWD & Auto gearbox? And whether they will be offering 6 airbags in the top end versions? Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd May 2014, 13:42   #20
Team-BHP Support

Interesting! The 1.6 HDi is a proven workhorse; doing duty in a host of Citroën and Peugeot models (ranging from small hatchbacks to 7-seater MPVs), and also in the likes of the Mini Cooper D. If provided with the European specs/features (and does not try a Kizashi-like over-ambitious pricing) this should be a compelling package from the Suzuki stable.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 14:02   #21
D4D
BHPian

Well that's some good news. The 1.3 MJD is a very capable engine, but even 90 horses was too less for a car of SX4's class.

This is some good news in the last 7 days:
First- Maruti to build it's own 800cc diesel engine
Second-Maruti is moving away from Fiat engines for higher capacity

Will this engine find it's way into the ertiga also?

If it were not for MSIL, the K9K would be the most commonly used engine in India !
Old 3rd May 2014, 14:14   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
...I have a hunch they will play their usual value-for-money card and stick to the 90 HP FGT...
+1. But I hope they do NOT! They somehow value FE more than outright performance.

Quote:
...On a side note, I hope they badge it as just the S-Cross to appeal to the mass market a bit more.
Hormazd mentioned they would drop SX4 name tag and will have ONLY S Cross to give that cross over feel.

Quote:
Then they will definitely try to position the S-Cross above the Ciaz, which would mean top variant might be in the range of the XUV 500 W8. Cross-pricing (pun intended) might spell doom for both products. Not to mention, a much bigger engine, more space and infinitely better street presence would keep XUV on top...
I think there was a mention that S Cross would be a CBU initially which means it'll be priced above Ciaz! Now if the price overlaps with XUV, I do NOT find any reason why a customer should pay that much for something inferior - space, engine looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
...Second-Maruti is moving away from Fiat engines for higher capacity...
If Fiat did NOT give the 1.6 MJD, that's Fiat's loss!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 17:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

That is good news. Whatever be the engine, I hope they would not use the default 1.3 Multijet engine on S Cross. Something in the range of 1.5 is required for a vehicle of this class. I am keenly waiting for this vehicle. Hope it will a decent cross over, around 15 lakhs.
Old 4th May 2014, 08:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Maruti going is back to Peugeot again. They had Zen and Esteem diesels with Peugeot engines in the past and it looks like they are back. This should be a good move considering Peugeot is not planning to enter Indian market anytime soon which means they wouldn't lose anything to offer the latest technology to Suzuki for use in India.

Quote:
Older version of this engine 90ps output was used for last generation SX4 hatch in Europe.

Vitara and Grand Vitara have used 2.0 Diesel engine from PSA Group in past.
I didn't know Vitara had a diesel option in Europe! Why didn't Maruti launch Vitara diesel here if they had a diesel option available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If so then why is Suzuki developing a 1.2 liter diesel on their own as discussed in the thread below. Why can't they do a 1.6 too?
Any diesel engine that Suzuki (or anyone without experience making diesels) develops on their own would take at least a few iterations before the NVH levels reach the levels of other international engines. An unrefined engine wouldn't be tolerated in the premium categories where competition is using the world class alternatives. Someone paying 5L might compromise just to get a Maruti badge for the ASC advantage while someone paying 10L is already in two minds whether to go for a Maruti paying such a huge amount. So MSIL is better off offering the world class engines for the premium segment till they are fully on top of their own diesel technology in small cars and can match MJD and K9K levels.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 10:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

I just hope MSIL tests the car sufficiently and there are no turbo failures as mentioned in some international forums.
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 16:34   #26
BHPian

I had tweeted Hormazd of ACI who had recently driven this car as part of cover feature of Autocar and he confirmed that its coming with Fiat 1.6 D and not as speculated as Peugeot 1.6. Attaching a screen shot of the same
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-1399201295474.jpg  

Last edited by soumobakshi : 4th May 2014 at 16:36.
soumobakshi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 20:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
I had tweeted Hormazd of ACI who had recently driven this car as part of cover feature of Autocar and he confirmed that its coming with Fiat 1.6 D and not as speculated as Peugeot 1.6. Attaching a screen shot of the same
If its true thats good! 1.6MJD is a better unit compared to PSA-Ford 1.6 HDI/TDCI.
Old 4th May 2014, 20:48   #28
BANNED

Quote:
The engine they are testing under the hoods of the soon to be launched SX4 Cross is not the 1.6 Multijet from Fiat but PSA Peugeot Citroen's DV6 1.6 Litre CRDI Diesel engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That means one thing is very clear. Maruti needs a 1.5/1.6L Diesel for C-sgement but they are not able to source it in India from Fiat due to some complications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I would have preferred to see the 1.6 MJD on the S Cross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If its true thats good! 1.6MJD is a better unit compared to PSA-Ford 1.6 HDI/TDCI.
Just got hold of the Autocar Magazine (May Issue) which had the S-Cross as the main feature. In that drive, it was said that there will be 2 engines powering the S-Cross:

1) Petrol: 1.6L (M16A) that was doing duty on the SX4 but in an advance state of tune (though he is not sure whether this will come to India or no);

2) Diesel: 1.6L (Fiat Sourced) 118 BHP and 32.63 kgm mated to 6 speed MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
+1

Anurag.

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2014 at 16:39. Reason: Please do NOT upload copyrighted content on Team-BHP. Thanks
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 08:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP SCOOP- Maruti YL1, Vento sized SX4 replacement details leaked

Quote:
The engine being tested is not Multijet, Details here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...el-engine.html
With Hormazd categoricacally stating it would be the 1.6 Fiat engine for the S Cross , we have to see whether how the Peugeot 1.6 is the latest development to this.
Anyhow looks like the 1.6 variant will come in the CIAZ, which is a great!
Old 5th May 2014, 09:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Just got hold of the Autocar Magazine (May Issue) which had the S-Cross as the main feature. In that drive, it was said that there will be 2 engines powering the S-Cross:
In the ACI podcast covering the May issue of the magazine, Hormazd said it will be the 1.6 MJD. I think he drove the S-Cross in the UK where its powered by the Fiat engine.

The confusion is because .anshuman' birdie is very credible as we know from the YL1 thread. But I do hope Hormazd is not wrong here.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks