Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:11   #961
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Finally saw the TUV300 in person, kudos to Mahindra, I was simply blown away by the space and quality of dashboard and plastics. I would rate it as one of their best. The plastics are hard but still they give a premium feel. There are still a few quirks here and there but definitely not something that you should write off without giving it a consideration. In the rear three people could comfortably sit and drivers seat had ample space as compared to my Fiesta.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to start the engine and observe the dreaded vibrations. The dealer mentioned that they have 160 bookings and delivery will start from 29th.

If AMT is good I am sure there would be a lot of takers for this model.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:30   #962
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The petrol engine on a Sub 4M vehicle cant be more than 1.2L, No?
IMHO, Mahindra should avoid stepping into petrol segment with a 1.2L TUV
Hopefully they don't come up with a 1.2L petrol engine. Datsun Go+ is the only other sub 4m 7-seater, with 1.2L petrol.
I believe they would take the Ecosport route, by launching the larger petrol engine, say a 1.5L, though at the cost of paying additional excise duty. Or, it is also possible that, it could use a 1L turbocharged engine, probably developed with Ssangyong, which would give them excise duty advantages.
It has been rumoured for a while that M&M along with Ssangyong is jointly developing a new range of petrol engines for its vehicles.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:56   #963
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamateen46 View Post
Out of curiosity, please clarify what specific SUV capabilities both Ecosport and Duster do not possess and which TUV3OO has, to be termed as boulvardiers and hatchbacks on steroids. Not sure if you were referring only to looks, as it is subjective anyway.
The comparison is objective and is not between local and global car manufacturers, as you have highlighted.
aamateen46, let me try to clarify what I said. To my mind a major characteristic of SUVs is their ability to handle bad terrain plus the all important criteria of ruggedness, durability and reliability. Both these requirements need, firstly AWD/4WD (or at the very least RWD) and secondly, the fact that the TUV has a body-on-frame(ladder-frame in this case) structure gives it a substantial advantage in the ruggedness/durability stakes.
Certainly a monocoque structure (such as the Ecosport & Duster) is better for torsional rigidity and handling suppleness, but nowhere as massively durable as body-on-frame structures (the TUV kerb wt is 1590 kgs or thereabouts, while the Eco/Duster's is in the region of 1300 kgs or less).
Doubtless the TUV loses out on FE and drag strip performance, but an SUV is not designed to be a boy racer's steed.
Also please remember that TUV 300 has the longest W.B. at 268 cms and also the shortest overhangs (fore and aft) of the three. And all off-roaders (I am only an also-ran) understand well the importance of short overhangs.

And by the way, I did not coin the term 'hatch-back on steroids' - but it sums up pretty well what most SUV devotees feel.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 18:04   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
What is the advantage of a ladder on frame chassis over monocoque for a two wheel drive vehicle?

Being wider and taller does not help in becoming a better SUV.
Hi sourabhzen, my reply was to aamateen46, since he was asking what SUV capabilities that TUV possess as against than Duster and Ecosport, hence I had mentioned that it was ladder on frame which is the main characteristic of an SUV. Also the question was not which is a better SUV.

I do not know the advantages of the ladder on frame chassis over monocoque chassis . mallumowgli has explained in his post.
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:36   #965
BHPian

A good product save for vibrating gearbox

Last Sunday I took test drive of TUV 300 from Mahindra dealership located in safdarjung Enclave, New Delhi.

Dealership Experience:
---------------------------
The staff were too courteous and eager to show TUV 300. All details including pricing, variants was explained by sales executive in great detail.

Vehicle experience:
----------------------
I was pleasantly surprised by space offered by TUV 300. It is pretty spacious and quality of material used is pretty good except for small bits like cover used for 12v socket.
The engine is very tractable in city but fly in ointment was vibrating gearshift and clutch which made driving TUV 300 exhaustive.Also small imperfections filtered through cabin and made even short commute tiring.

Overall its a competitive product with pricing undercutting Ecosport

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 22nd September 2015 at 21:37. Reason: to correct errors in sentences
Old 23rd September 2015, 01:10   #966
BHPian

I have checked TUV 300 recently at Kothaguda show room in Hyderabad. Before I went there, even I did not like the shape which I have seen in many website before the launch. I had my preconceived notions like its an ugly shape vehicle, boxy type...etc etc. But once I saw the vehicle, I conveyed myself immediately that it's a huge vehicle for the price what we are getting and you have to remind yourself that its under 4 meter length. And I really liked the space and interiors, though there are some rough edges and low plastic quality on the door pads, but overall you get a nice feeling when you step-in. One thing for sure whether you love it or hate it you will look at it for one more time. I did not get my chance for TD, because of huge waiting period to get your hands ON the wheel. But I am going for a test drive for sure in this week and will try to update you my driving experience. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it would not disappoint me.
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:03   #967
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to S.Gokul for sharing this observation via email:

Quote:
Greetings.

I am Gokul from Coimbatore. This is regarding the app released by Mahindra on android for the TUV 300. If you look closely on the instrument cluster that is displayed with the symbols, a few symbols that are present are of particular interest to offroad enthusiasts.

Things that could be found include VSC, 4wd Low, Diff Lock, Hill start Assist and Hill Descent Control. Also if you look at the official pic released by Mahindra of the instrument panel and zoom it, you could see the VSC indicator.

Maybe Mahindra has already tested the 4wd version (Export/Local Market) and the instrument cluster has been incorporated for the same.

Thanks and Regards
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:37   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

We visited KTC Mahindra, Cochin to check the TUV 300 and see if they had an automatic for test drive. Good hospitality by the showroom folks ensured a very pleasant experience. We were driven to the stockyard to check the other TUVs and they had a T4+ and a T4 along with T8s. The base T4 comes with black bumpers. There was a silver T4+ which came with a black grill but body coloured bumpers.

I asked about the AMT since I wasnt sure of how it worked. Here is what they explained
- In essence there are 3 'zones'. If you want to leave it in automatic mode, shift it to the left. It doesnt have a D mode for regular usage and a S mode for spirited driving. There is just one mode.
- In the central 'zone', you can push it forward to upshift and pull the lever back to downshift.
- If you want to move it to neutral, you push it to the right.
- If you want to reverse, you push it to the right and pull it down (like a manual)

Few points we spoke about
- 46 bookings of the TUV so far
- More than half were for the AMT
- They were pitching how much easier it is for women to drive the AMT in a city like Cochin as compared to a manual which is a great point
- First round of deliveries starting soon
- Air condition was very effective

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228713-large.jpg
White TUV on display

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228715-large.jpg
Honeycomb grill accentuated by light colours

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228716-large.jpg
Fog lights add to the looks

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228719-large.jpg
Chrome ringed dials on the T8

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228724-large.jpg
Lots of cubby holes and the oddly placed power window switches

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228728-large.jpg
Very effective airconditioning

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228731-large.jpg
T8 version missing out on switches on the right side

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228730-large.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228717-large.jpg
T8 interiors

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228726-large.jpg
Blank space above the centre console, version 2 will probably come with a clock

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228736-large.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228737-large.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228739-large.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228741-large.jpg

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-p9228743-large.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:58   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
We visited KTC Mahindra,
Silver TUV with black grill is much better looking than others IMO. Thanks for the pictures.

I registered on line for the test drive on the day of launch. Today, I got SMS from the dealer saying " We hope to have delivered you the best experience".
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 17:20   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I registered on line for the test drive on the day of launch. Today, I got SMS from the dealer saying " We hope to have delivered you the best experience".
This was the case with me also. I believe they have enough prospective customers already visiting their showroom. I checked with a dealer in Bangalore (over phone) and he was very straight with his answer that in near future they don't have any plan to bring the vehicle for test drive at home. In no way was he rude, very courteous in inviting to the showroom for a test drive.
Old 23rd September 2015, 20:21   #971
J.Ravi

A few days back, I visited India Garage, Chennai just for a dekko along with my wife. When I inspected the engine bay, I was pleasantly surprised to find some sensors attached to the battery terminals. I could see 'battery sensor' printed on them. These battery sensors are not there in my XUV 500. But then, that battery did not have built-in battery indicator unlike my XUV 500's. We sat on the jump-seats and found them okay for a short drive. I was offered test-drive, but I declined.

Old 23rd September 2015, 21:01   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
As I've mentioned elsewhere, its almost passe to look down one's nose at our local efforts, while bending over backwards and simpering at the candy-floss item-number offerings of overseas mfrs, which they dump on our sublimely uncritical car buyers and (opinion-makers ?)
If you've read my posts elsewhere (and on an entirely different timeline) on the forum you probably will not refer to me with that comment.

I stand by what I felt - this is a mediocre effort that is not path-breaking in any way and a step backwards in many. There is no reason to applaud an effort simply because it is local - I think our local players are good enough to not require such a patronising attitude, and should take negative feedback in their stride.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 12:27   #973
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on twitter today.

Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300!  EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs-img_0871.png
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 12:52   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
We visited KTC Mahindra, Cochin to check the TUV 300 and see if they had an automatic for test drive. Good hospitality by the showroom folks ensured a very pleasant experience. We were driven to the stockyard to check the other TUVs and they had a T4+ and a T4 along with T8s. The base T4 comes with black bumpers. There was a silver T4+ which came with a black grill but body coloured bumpers.
Thanks for the detailed update on the KTC stock and about TUV300.

I am a great patron of KTC Mahindra in COchin and I take my XUV5OO there.

I had also gone there for a test drive, but it wasn't available then.

Few things that I had noted outside others have mentioned :

1. Wiper Blades : Windshield Wiper Blades looked basic. Far inferior compared to what comes on XUV5OO which is top class. It even reminded me of the ones that comes with Suzukis/Hyundais but almost on par with the Ford Ecosport stock wipers (Motorcraft) which according to me, is really poor.

2. Headlamp Bulbs : TUV3OO on display had Osram Bilux 60/55W headlamp bulbs. The bulb is long lasting and the performance of it needs to be checked in the night to ascertain that the reflectors are well designed. I am not a automotive techie to comment on the reflectors. These are also stock ones for Ecosport again and they did a poor job there. I had to upgrade them to 100/90W from what I understand is coz of the poorly designed reflectors.

3. 3rd Row : 3rd row was far more practical than I expected based on the reviews I read. Though strictly for 2 people, 2 adults may struggle to breathe there. But what I notes is, unlike Bolero or Scorpio or may be Tavera - it offers a slanted footrest for the opposite passenger behind the second row. This is not a great advantage but a 3rd row passenger might find a bit more relaxed/comfortable 3rd row in this car.

4. 2nd Row : Second row offers adequate space, but under-thigh support is minimal. I am 5:8 and I think passengers might not like long drives here. One more thing is the slim seats like Ecosport.

5. Tyres : Tyres and Wheel arches looked to lack chemistry here. It looked odd and utilitarian to me. And also it came with Stock Apollo Tyres.

There are a lot of bits and pieces that look similar to that of Ecosport including the steering wheel. What I liked the most is the driving position, Gear shift/postion, dashboard design and quality and of course its excellent road presence. It looked larger than XUV5OO from the front.

More or less, felt like an upgrade from Bolero to me. And from what I understand that's what It should serve. TUV3OO simply grows on you the more you observe.
peterjim13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 17:58   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
4. 2nd Row : Second row offers adequate space, but under-thigh support is minimal. I am 5:8 and I think passengers might not like long drives here. One more thing is the slim seats like Ecosport.
Thin seats, really bad under-thigh support and an upright backrest would mean that passengers in the rear won't be too comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
More or less, felt like an upgrade from Bolero to me.
Its nice to get a validation of one's own views from another.

PS: Did you also experience sway while taking a curve at an average speed?
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks