Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2015, 10:23   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
Forgot to mention a few more observations:
Small query, have they given a proper place for the tools including the spanner, jack and handle.
Old 29th September 2015, 14:11   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Small query, have they given a proper place for the tools including the spanner, jack and handle.

Hmmm. That's a good point which I failed to notice. May be someone other Bhpian can answer this...!
Old 29th September 2015, 15:26   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-generation Mahindra Bolero? NAMED: Mahindra TUV300! EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 6.90 lakhs

Saw first TUV300 in silver shade on road today. In my opinion this thing is uglier than it looks in pictures. Even my non-car enthusiast friends hated it in first look. Bolero was much better proportioned and looked far batter than TUV.
Old 29th September 2015, 17:12   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Saw first TUV300 in silver shade on road today. In my opinion this thing is uglier than it looks in pictures. Even my non-car enthusiast friends hated it in first look. Bolero was much better proportioned and looked far batter than TUV.

I thought of test driving it last week. To go to Mahindra dealer near Silkboard I have to take U-turn and enter service road. Moved to left most lane and glanced at showroom to check if there is any crowd. Saw a test drive TUV parked in-front of showroom, and yes it looked totally out of place. It looked worst especially in white. Decided not to waste my 1 hour and drove to nearby mall to kill time.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 19:06   #1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post

As per my last visit for the display vehicle, the tools were kept under the Jump Seats at the back. I failed to check and see if the jack has been placed elsewhere.
Old 29th September 2015, 20:30   #1011
BHPian

Saw the TUV300 during morning rush hour traffic on Western Express Highway. Really towered over the traffic and looked much better on road rather than the showroom. It's definitely got an imposing stance like big brother Scorpio .... And the Autos did make way !
Old 29th September 2015, 20:54   #1012
BHPian

Saw this in flesh today. Looks good in front. Good design overall in looks department. Actually liked the exterior design.. except the aspect ratio (length/height) in the side. Certainly would be good to have that drivers' high view point.
Aspect ratio would take quite a while to get used to!

PS: Same design done as 5m vehicle (than current less than 4m) would have been sent me to showroom immediately
Old 30th September 2015, 11:24   #1013
BANNED

There has been a fair amount of discussion about 2-stage turbo-charging/twin-scroll t/charging in the TUV300, including in the O/D video review. It would be nice to get some clarity on the issue.

In twin-scroll turbocharging the incoming exh. gases are divided into 2 (or more) manifolds which feed into two separate scrolls or volute passages in the turbine-side casing before being directed onto different portions (with different geometries) of the turbine impeller. This is used in the M&M Quanto, whose engine produced 100 bhp/248 Nm. Twin-scroll t/ching therefore uses a single shaft with a blower and a turbine at each end.

In two stage t/charging things are a good deal more complex. There are two separate t/chargers (an LP or low pressure t/c and an HP or high pr. t/c), the scavenge air outlet of the LP being fed into the scavenge air inlet of the HP unit. This is obviously a greatly simplified statement, but it gets to the core of the matter. There are also combinations of Roots type blowers (mechanical driven superchargers) with exh. gas t/chargers to give 2-stage
charging - the supercharger being effective at low load, low speed conditions with the turbo charger providing massive boost at high speed, high load conditions. The one thing which seems clear is that two separate units are involved (two t/chargers or t/charger///supercharger combination) greatly
increasing the complexity and expense - BMW and Volvo being among the pioneers of this development in the automotive field.

It would certainly be nice if M&M (tech team) clarified which type of scavenging the TUV300 uses.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 11:58   #1014
BHPian

Arrived at Bangalore airport late last night, while walking to the baggage counter saw a TUV T8 in red color in display.

Forgot about the baggage and went to inspect. The front is imposing (in a good way), will get respect on the road, the side view - nice all along expect where it ends but then it's sub 4m, the back - decent

Inside looks spacious. the dashboard is decent. The bonnet and headlamp had a huge gap though consistent throughout. Overall i can consider it.

It was 3 am so didn't prowl further on it. Time for a TD in upcoming weeks

In Flesh and In Red - Super
Old 30th September 2015, 12:03   #1015
Distinguished - BHPian

Official TV ad featuring Prabhas (of Baahubali fame) - "Tough is what Tough does!"

Last edited by RavenAvi : 30th September 2015 at 12:04.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 12:22   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishpotdar View Post
Saw the TUV300 during morning rush hour traffic on Western Express Highway. Really towered over the traffic and looked much better on road rather than the showroom. It's definitely got an imposing stance like big brother Scorpio .... And the Autos did make way !
Had an exactly opposite effect on me
It was displayed in our office and looked quite decent, but saw it on the road yesterday and somehow didn't look at all appealing.
The interiors are a big plus though, and since I saw it in white both times it might possibly look better in a darker shade. Also didn't find the sub 4 meter length that disproportionate, it's mostly the grille which some decent mod should easily take care.
Old 30th September 2015, 13:03   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Saw the display vehicle at Bangalore Airport. My Excitement to see the vehicle disappeared due to the ugliness of the vehicle.

I thought the vehicle would look Macho, but it looked plan boxy and not macho in anyway!!!
Old 30th September 2015, 14:07   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkoNawab View Post
As per my last visit for the display vehicle, the tools were kept under the Jump Seats at the back. I failed to check and see if the jack has been placed elsewhere.
So there is no change, a typical miss from M&M, its high time a proper too box / space is provided.
Old 30th September 2015, 18:20   #1019
BHPian

Mahindra TUV 3oo Vs Ford EcoSport - Comparison Review!

kalleo4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 07:14   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
Mahindra TUV 3oo Vs Ford EcoSport - Comparison Review!
That was, if I should say it, just about decent in the first half, and at times hilarious in the second half. Bunny Punia (he was editor in the DreamCarz magazine for quite a while) sounded pretty good overall, but repeated the phrase "at this price point" for the TUV a bit too often.

But the woman in the video wasn't anywhere near being convincing, and didn't make a lot of sense. She was, I suppose, only interested in how much more 'premium' the Ecosport is than the TUV, and thus kept calling the Ecosport "premium" again and again, and never properly compared the two in any department. Did commit her share of bloopers as well.

If I am not wrong, she said something on the lines of "The Ecosport is very classy and premium to drive..." (Classy and premium to drive? Huh.. Interesting)
Also, at another instance, she was quoted saying this- "..The whole level of refinement of the engine, the whole cabin space, the layout of features, the dash, all are much much more premium in the Ecosport..." (Did she mean 'the features and layout of the dash'? And yes, her own colleague had called the TUV interior 'top notch' earlier, and she herself criticised the Ecosport's cabin space later.)
And, the best one, at the end, she said "The Ecosport looks and feels like a sedan"!! (Ford must be slightly angry here.)
I think she was also seen in the Wheelocity show before.

And ultimately, after all the talk, what they had to conclude was that " The two cars are really different, and are aimed at different buyers." (Oh, are they really? And why compare them in the first place then?)
A far better video review of the TUV by Rohit Paradkar of Overdrive was posted a few days ago (link in my earlier post on this thread).

In fact, that's what I really hate about such 'reviews'. They conduct big comparison tests, and then ultimately annnounce that either the cars are really different, or that both are very good and very closely matched, and you won't go wrong with either of them. Doesn't that totally beat the very purpose of a comparison? They, being the media, are entitled to an opinion of their own. And they must express that opinion distinctly. Not use vague adjectives and unclear opinions to confuse the viewer further.

Look at TopGear, or Fifth Gear who almost always state which car they think is the best one after a comparo. In fact, most foreign journalists do that. They also call cars 'bad' directly or bash anything they find lacking, even in supercars. And they stand by their opinion, even while everyone may not agree to it.

It is usually the Indian media, who probably conduct these comparisons with some 'help' from the manufacturers, and hence desperately avoid criticising cars, especially popular cars. And it's not just the not-so-popular shows. Even someone like Renuka Kirpalani for the Bloomberg Autocar Show sometimes gives such confusing or biased sounding conclusions and opinions about some cars. It seems as if these guys are held back by someone from giving a fair opinion, or criticising a particular car.

Also, in case of luxury cars, these guys get so wowed away, that they end up worshipping them in the articles and usually don't write a thing bad about them. Instead, it is only accounts of how they were wowed or flattered by the car. I'm sure most sportscars and luxury cars (apart from the 911 maybe) have their own shortcomings. But we only hear how high quality the interiors are, how good the engine notes are and how the writer enjoyed driving it to its limits.

And if such reviews exist, they are actually no different from those 'Advertorial Features' in magazines. At least they (not so) clearly state they are advertorials, unlike these journos.

I think it's high time Team-BHP started official comparison tests as well. Mods and distinguished BHPians, please take note and think on the request. I'm sure most BHPians would want this as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st October 2015 at 08:35. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
mukul32 is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks