Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2014, 16:55   #136
BHPian

Re: 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis (11th Gen) launched @ 11.99 lakhs

Well, i finally got a chance to test drive the New Corolla Petrol 1.8 VL. I had previously driven the new Honda City Petrol CVT. I have also driven a Skoda Laura with the DSG. Now its obvious that the DSG is after all a DSG and the gearshifts were very quick. But, i am really surprised how the new Corolla drives. The Honda city was giving me the slight feel of the rubber band effect that u get in CVTs and i just did not enjoy the drive that much.
But seriously after having driven the cars i mentioned, the Altis is not bad at all, i drove it in auto and manual mode with the paddle shifts and i was having great fun with it. I can never say that it wasnt fun to drive. Not as powerful as the Laura but neither bad. And the car looks simply stunning in pearl white. This time they nailed it with the design.
mod_to_odd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 18:42   #137
BHPian

Dear members, i am a bit curious to know this. I was watching videos of various European car shows on YouTube today, where they have reviewed the "2015" Toyota Corolla. Yes 2015. Its strange. Two changes that i see inside compared to the Asian 2014 model is the navigation system layout and the addition of the "Sports" mode button near the hand break.

Now how come they already have a 2015 corolla available there while we get the 2014 model, and is the "Sports" mode just a gimmick? or does it actually do anything to make the drive sporty?

Is it worth waiting for these changes they have made that may come to us later?
Old 5th June 2014, 19:07   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
The car just got launched last week! There are going to be no changes anytime soon.

Toyota is slowest to bring any updates to their cars. If at all you may see some silly changes after one year.

Also, Toyota gets the car knocked down from Thailand. Only if Thailand has that feature will you possibly see it in India.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 19:36   #139
BHPian

2014 Toyota Corolla Altis (11th Gen) launched @ 11.99 lakhs

Quote:
Dear members, i am a bit curious to know this. I was watching videos of various European car shows on YouTube today, where they have reviewed the "2015" Toyota Corolla. Yes 2015. Its strange. Two changes that i see inside compared to the Asian 2014 model is the navigation system layout and the addition of the "Sports" mode button near the hand break.

Now how come they already have a 2015 corolla available there while we get the 2014 model, and is the "Sports" mode just a gimmick? or does it actually do anything to make the drive sporty?

The way Wastern auto industry works is, next year's model is usually launched around current mid year. So, mid 2014 gets 2015 models. Now usually, there is no difference for first 3 to 4 years after a completely new model is launched and it gets mid cycle updates at around 3rd or 4th year, unless a specific model gets bed critics reviews (for example, 2013 new Civic that received very bad reviews in USA, which prompted Honda make big changes in just one year).

And anyway, India gets Thai specced Corolla so if a feature is present in Thai version, chances are we will get it.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 22:47   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Beautiful car, and many congratulations. Is this the pearl white color or super white II ? And when ever you drive it please share your experience.
My sincere apologies for the late reply. The colour is super white. Should be driving her tomorrow and will share my views over the weekend.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 23:01   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
My sincere apologies for the late reply. The colour is super white. Should be driving her tomorrow and will share my views over the weekend.

Cheers
Rohan
Oh, no issues bro. I am sure you will love the drive as much as I did
mod_to_odd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 23:00   #142
BHPian

So, I finally had the chance to get behind the wheel of the new Corolla last night. The model I drove was the top of the line 1.8 Automatic. I will try and sum up my experience as crisply as I can for the benefit of the brethren here and do a little comparison with my Laura as well.

When I had seen the pictures of the Corolla, I was a little bit disappointed by the interiors. But this perception changed when I sat in the car. It looks and feels really nice and well…different. It is a clear departure from the safe and somewhat boring theme of the previous generation of the car. It does feel fresh and new. The materials used are of good quality and the carbon fiber finish does not look all that bad. The blue backlit display of the lights looks fabulous at night with everything clearly visible. The front seats are decently comfortable and leather used is of good quality. It’s the rear bench that completely blows you away. It is by far the most comfortable one in its segment. The extra knee room generated because of the increased wheel base in clearly visible. There is barely any hump on the floor and car would take 3 passengers easily. The recline angle on the rear seats in stock position is perfect and can be adjusted to ones need. The AC is bloody freezer and rear vents were just not missed in 45 degrees yesterday.

I drove the car for about 10kms only and my initial impressions were that the ride is sublime. Since the car is barely a week old, didn’t push it at all so won’t be able to comment on high speed handling. The city drive at normal driving speed is just fantastic. The engine is smooth and one barely feels the CVT in action. The transmission really is butter smooth with gentle inputs on the accelerator pedal. I avoided using the paddles till the car is run in. Overall build quality is good but not in the league of the German marques. The steering is an electric unit and light at city speeds. I am not sure how it would be at highway speeds and whether it would adequately weigh up providing enough feedback. Its not Elantra light though and neither did it feel as vague.

Now I know its not fair to compare the petrol Corolla with my diesel Laura but I will write just a line or two since they belong(ed) to the same segment. The DSG box on the Laura/Jetta/Octavia is far superior to the CVT of the Corolla and hence the drive on the Germans feels better. It has also got to do with the 320nm of the torque that’s available from a low 1750 rpm in ze Germans. The German cousins are built tougher no doubt but in my opinion, the Corolla is not far behind. If the Corolla had a more powerful diesel engine with an auto box it would have been a more fair comparison and maybe things would be different. I have not driven the TSi motor with the DSG, hence wont be able to comment on the same. I would say this though: the DSG is not the most reliable with the petrol motor. My cousin’s Superb has seen 2 gearbox failures. I hear things have improved and I am hoping to drive the Octavia TSi soon.

When we brought the Mercedes in February, I also happened to test drive the Elantra, which in my opinion is the closest to the Corolla in terms of on road prices. The top of the line Jetta and Octavia are nearly 24 lac on road in Delhi for the diesel and the Octavia TSi is nearly 22 lacs. The city drive of both is almost at par but the Toyota’s steering providing better feedback. The Elantra has a little more gizmos and in my honest opinion its biggest trump card is 6 airbags and it is nearly a lac down on the price. Also the realiability and cost of ownership for the Hyundai and Toyota are almost at par now.

The Toyota was bought for a simple reason: It is a Toyota. The family just does not like the Hyundai badge. It is a no nonsense car which will serve the family well for years to come. It will always be sedately driven and hardly ever be redline. The back seat comfort played a major role.

In the end all I would say is that if it’s a diesel you want- the VW group cars are far superior; but expensive to buy and maintain. Cant comment on the Fluence as i am yet to TD the new one.

If it’s a petrol automatic in the D segment, for me it’s the Elantra. Its safe, reliable and a little less expensive to buy. For a chauffer driven car I am sure Toyota has people lining outside its showrooms already! I am sure just the Toyota badge would also manage to steal away more than a few potential Hyundai customers.

P.S: These are just my opinions and not meant to offend anyone. In case, inadvertently I have, I apologize for the same. Also its not fair to compare the City and Corolla. They are as different as chalk and cheese.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 23:32   #143
BHPian

Hi, thanks.

A couple of leading questions, if I may.

I wonder what you think of the styling of the new corolla: distinctive and, for lack of a better word, more 'masculine' (harder edges, less 'fluidity')? Also, do you feel that the retro choice for the dashboard design works, in the sense of being dramatic and distinguished without being tacky, or trying too hard?

Still, THE d-segmenter for the chauffeur-driven?

thanks man
Old 7th June 2014, 23:42   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Hi, thanks.

A couple of leading questions, if I may.

I wonder what you think of the styling of the new corolla: distinctive and, for lack of a better word, more 'masculine' (harder edges, less 'fluidity')? Also, do you feel that the retro choice for the dashboard design works, in the sense of being dramatic and distinguished without being tacky, or trying too hard?

Still, THE d-segmenter for the chauffeur-driven?

thanks man
Its different! I won't call it masculine, but it does feel fresh at least in India where we don't have Lexus (which is what it looks like in my opinion). It looks sharp. Thats what it is. Like a well fitted suit.

The retro style does work. I personally liked it. Materials used are of good quality. At first when you enter the car, yes it seems like that maybe Toyota tried too hard. Within minutes it all falls to place and looks pleasing to the eyes.

For the last question: A big thumping YES!
Everyone from Babus to your corporate honchos will love that back seat!

Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 7th June 2014 at 23:46. Reason: additional point
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 02:23   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
I avoided using the paddles till the car is run in. Overall build quality is good but not in the league of the German marques. The steering is an electric unit and light at city speeds. I am not sure how it would be at highway speeds and whether it would adequately weigh up providing enough feedback. Its not Elantra light though and neither did it feel as vague.
Cheers
Rohan
Enjoyed reading about your experience with the new Corolla Altis.
Since i have already test driven the car to my hearts content, i can say two things which made me fall in love with it. The Paddle shifts, many cars have them these days and using them is a real joy in this car as well.
They let you take full control on the car and overtaking becomes much more easy.

The steering wheel weighed up nicely at higher speeds and was pretty accurate with good feedback. I have literally abused the test vehicle to be honest as i wanted to see the true potential of the car. I loved every bit of the drive. And am now seriously considering booking it.

Last edited by mod_to_odd : 8th June 2014 at 02:24.
mod_to_odd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 13:34   #146
E63
BANNED

Autocar India first drive is up. http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ew-385569.aspx

Excerpts.

"The fit is pretty good and so are general levels of functionality. But overall finish and material quality are not as good as that on competitors like the Skoda Octavia or Hyundai Elantra.

Pushing it beyond this causes the engine to become quite vocal without a proportional change in pace.

Stability while turning into a corner, even at a relatively high speed, is pretty good and the front end really sticks.

Its setup is a bit soft and at highway speeds, it didn’t feel as planted as expected over bumpy patches. This is a bit of a shame, as while the new Corolla is definitely improved in the handling department, it isn’t good enough to take on cars like the VW Jetta and new Skoda Octavia.

First, “Fun to drive, again”? Not quite. The experience behind the wheel is hampered by motors that are dated when compared to the hi-tech competition and despite being more engaging to drive than the outgoing car, the Corolla doesn’t have the thoroughly planted European feel yet. However, the new Corolla partly fulfils Akio Toyoda’s promise, with an emotional design and equipment levels while boosting its traditional values of comfort, reliability and efficiency. "

Quote:

Well in Europe and USA, the model is referred to the next year than it is launched.

For instance 1880 was known as the 19th century, similarly a car launched in 2014 is called 2015. Weird? Yes.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th June 2014 at 14:32. Reason: merging posts. Please use the edit option if replying in the same thread within 30mins. Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 13:52   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Well in Europe and USA, the model is referred to the next year than it is launched.

For instance 1880 was known as the 19th century, similarly a car launched in 2014 is called 2015. Weird? Yes.
Yes in America and Europe they do refer to car models like that but that has nothing to do with the way we refer to 1880 as the 19th century. That is merely common sense; the year 54A.D. would obviously fall under the 1st century would it not? 160A.D. would then be in the 2nd century and so on
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 14:52   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Autocar India first drive is up. http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ew-385569.aspx

Excerpts.

"The fit is pretty good and so are general levels of functionality. But overall finish and material quality are not as good as that on competitors like the Skoda Octavia or Hyundai Elantra.

Pushing it beyond this causes the engine to become quite vocal without a proportional change in pace.

Stability while turning into a corner, even at a relatively high speed, is pretty good and the front end really sticks.

Its setup is a bit soft and at highway speeds, it didn’t feel as planted as expected over bumpy patches. This is a bit of a shame, as while the new Corolla is definitely improved in the handling department, it isn’t good enough to take on cars like the VW Jetta and new Skoda Octavia.

First, “Fun to drive, again”? Not quite. The experience behind the wheel is hampered by motors that are dated when compared to the hi-tech competition and despite being more engaging to drive than the outgoing car, the Corolla doesn’t have the thoroughly planted European feel yet. However, the new Corolla partly fulfils Akio Toyoda’s promise, with an emotional design and equipment levels while boosting its traditional values of comfort, reliability and efficiency. "
The reviewer must have jumped out from a super car and hopped straight in the corolla. There are many such conflicting reviews on the net with different opinions from different drivers. I have seen this review on YouTube and others like it which made me go to the showroom for a test drive.

I am no pro in judging, but i also love driving. And if a car feels lethargic i will know instantly. However, i absolutely disagree when he says it wasn't fun to drive. For the car that it is with the 1.8L petrol engine, may not be that exhilarating but its no slouch either, specially if you use the paddle shifts. I say this because i have driven the corolla for nearly 20 minutes which consisted of sharp turns, speed breakers, at slow and fast speeds in manual and auto modes. It dint blow me away, but i definitely had fun driving it.

Last edited by mod_to_odd : 11th June 2014 at 14:53.
mod_to_odd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 15:14   #149
E63
BANNED

Quote:
For the car that it is with the 1.8L petrol engine, may not be that exhilarating but its no slouch either, specially if you use the paddle shifts. I say this because i have driven the corolla for nearly 20 minutes which consisted of sharp turns, speed breakers, at slow and fast speeds in manual and auto modes. It dint blow me away, but i definitely had fun driving it.

What car did you drive before driving the Corolla?

The reviewer clearly mentions that it isnt as good to drive as an Octy or Jetta, and to be fair, I believe him. Because Toyota makes no nonsense cars, not drivers cars.
E63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 19:49   #150
BHPian

Quote:
What car did you drive before driving the Corolla?

The reviewer clearly mentions that it isnt as good to drive as an Octy or Jetta, and to be fair, I believe him. Because Toyota makes no nonsense cars, not drivers cars.
I have driven a Laura, jetta, A4, E class, u name it. Toyota makes no nonsense cars but that doesn't mean they don't know how to change the game. The new corolla while may not be as enjoyable to drive as the others in the segment but like i said, it doesn't make you yawn either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks