Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2014, 12:51   #106
BHPian

Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I really feel this Corolla will not do as well as the previous one. The interior is really poor for a car its price IMHO and doesn't compliment the rather well designed exterior. The 1.4 Diesel was never appreciated in the previous generation car and they continue with the same .
You must be kidding me Have you even gone and sat in one of the new corollas? The interiors are very good and feel upmarket. Compared to the European cars it might not be of that quality to match, but calling it poor is too harsh.
mod_to_odd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 13:54   #107
BHPian

Re: 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis (11th Gen) launched @ 11.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

PS: Walk into a Hyundai showroom showing interest in the Elantra. Do the same at a VW showroom saying you'd like to buy a Jetta. Tell us who was better.
Absolutely man. I asked my father to have a look at the Jetta as replacement for our 8 year old Skoda Octavia (140,000 km) and the damn salesperson somehow insisted my father not to buy the Jetta.

So now, he is looking at the 5 series, so perhaps things do happen for good

But Viraj Automobiles in Noida is not very nice, we bought our Polo from there, experience was okayish.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 16:55   #108
BHPian

Guys, I am new here so pardon my naivety. I guess the cars in this segment are losing out because lot of people these day prefer to buy second hand cars. The second hand car market in India is expanding with organized trade in pre-owned cars becoming a reality. So you get peace of mind with organized sellers who dont behave like the neighborhood car dealer and offer warranty, you get a knock down of at least 30 - 40% for a 2 - 3 year old car and top it up with the flexibility to buy more with your money. You may still argue that at the end of the day, a new car is a new car and nothing can change the joy of owning it first time, but that perspective is changing. I know from personal experience as well as through others' experience, the number of people who do not look at owning a car for more than 3 - 4 years is steadily growing. There are multiple reasons at play for this, but most importantly I feel it is due to the choices available today. With so many different models and variants to choose from the car scene is only changing rapidly.
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 19:09   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Let's not compare USA spec Corolla and Elentra to Indian specs. Both the markets are different.
And that's the point. Apparently USA is the most mature car buyer market so it makes sense to compare the two in that market. Specs are bound to be different in each market. And the discussion here is also revolving around how elantra offers more for less.

Quote:
Corolla base model that you mentioned at 16.8k is Corolla L with old 4 speed AT. The one with new CVT (which India received years ago) is LE that starts at 18.3k and has less features than Base Elentra at 17.2k. And still, Toyota sold 29k copies of Corolla vs. Elentra's 19k. Civic sold 28k copies. Even Cruze sold 21k copies in April 2014.
In 2013 corolla sold 296k copies as compared to 252k for elantra. Not a world of difference. Additionally the car was named the North American Car of the year in 2012 when it came out in its latest avatar. So the car really is not only for immature developing country folks who go after glitz chrome and beige. Personally I don't like the Elantra any better than the Corolla but to say that elantra is for immature buyers in developing countries is a bit too much.

Quote:
As I said before, Corolla is overpriced, for sure. But it may be just the strategy to garner higher profit margins since the segment is not expanding at all.
If I am a customer, I give a damn about pricing strategy. What I see is the final price and wether or not it makes sense to me as a consumer. Value is subjective and so is everything else including design, beauty, elegance and comfort. All I am saying is at this price not many will find the Corolla VFM in our market.

Last edited by Cesc : 31st May 2014 at 19:11.
Cesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 19:41   #110
BHPian

The fluidic design language has already been toned down by Hyundai (in the Santa Fe, the i 10 grande and the upcoming new i20, new sonata etc) because that language was DESIGNED to be excessive, over the top since it was the instrument of Hyundai's final breakthrough and acceptance as a mainstream, respectable global manufacturer. Apparently that job of excessive, ostentatious styling has been done well, judging from how people in China and India have fallen in love with it. And no Hyundai sales rank in America is only middling, though improving.

That does not alter the fact the Elantra is overstyled (even its centre-console is as voluptuously curvy as....;-)), has no legacy as a brand, and so cannot even be judged on its own terms (what automotive values does the Hyundai Elantra stand for, other than being eye-candy?).

The Toyota Corolla stands for certain values, not excluding more mature yet fresh styling, it has set high expectations, which is perhaps why it is being judged harshly here?

PS: the Elantra, supposedly with awesome equipment levels for the price, lacks even a half-decent MID or a touch screen ICE, but who needs that when one HAS to have 'ventilated, airconditioned seats'. A car-spa? At this VFM rate, I am sure Hyundai will pretty soon be offering hot-massage seats in the i10 or even the Eon! ;-)
Old 31st May 2014, 20:10   #111
BHPian

In Mumbai, the authorized Toyota dealers i am aware of are La cozy Toyota and Millennium Toyota. Any of you had any experience with them. I mean if i were to buy the Corolla, then where should i buy it from?
Old 31st May 2014, 21:27   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
That does not alter the fact the Elantra is overstyled (even its centre-console is as voluptuously curvy as....;-)), has no legacy as a brand, and so cannot even be judged on its own terms (what automotive values does the Hyundai Elantra stand for, other than being eye-candy?).

PS: the Elantra, supposedly with awesome equipment levels for the price, lacks even a half-decent MID or a touch screen ICE, but who needs that when one HAS to have 'ventilated, airconditioned seats'. A car-spa? At this VFM rate, I am sure Hyundai will pretty soon be offering hot-massage seats in the i10 or even the Eon! ;-)

To be honest that's a bit harsh. What is the automotive value for Toyota?
Selling overpriced vehicles in India? Now a days most of the manufacturers offer decent quality vehicles and what most of us look for is value for money and this is where Elantra scores.
The ''Ventilated seats" is very useful in hot conditions (especially here in middle east) and I would give preference to that than a touch screen system.
Also most of the brands (including Toyota) offer ventilated seats outside India but Hyundai is the only manufacturer that offers most of the features offered globally in India.
praveen_n is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 00:31   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
You must be kidding me Have you even gone and sat in one of the new corollas? The interiors are very good and feel upmarket. Compared to the European cars it might not be of that quality to match, but calling it poor is too harsh.
Maybe harsh but i stand by what i have said. I checked out the car today in the flesh and the interior is really sad !! The quality of materials was surprisingly good (soft touch) but the design is really really weird. The Centre console is sort off tilted towards the passenger rather than the driver !! Also the digital clock and carbon fibre on the dashboard look like they came out of the the Etios !! (the car i hate the most). The CVT on road costs 19L and i request BHPIans to please check out the Octavia to see the quality they offer inside for the same amount of money ! Did i mention DSG and TSI Technology !! Sunroof ?
Yes Skoda isn't as reliable and there are horror stories, yet i wouldn't pay 19L for a Corolla. My Dad got his Accord 2 years ago for under 21 !!
Old 1st June 2014, 01:07   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe harsh but i stand by what i have said. I checked out the car today in the flesh and the interior is really sad !! The quality of materials was surprisingly good (soft touch) but the design is really really weird.
I get it. People have different tastes. You find it sad but I am also very selective when it comes to interiors. Its something different they tried to do this time and it is just so much better than the previous gen corolla. That's all.
mod_to_odd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 02:10   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe harsh but i stand by what i have said. I checked out the car today in the flesh and the interior is really sad !! The quality of materials was surprisingly good (soft touch) but the design is really really weird. The Centre console is sort off tilted towards the passenger rather than the driver !! Also the digital clock and carbon fibre on the dashboard look like they came out of the the Etios !! (the car i hate the most). The CVT on road costs 19L and i request BHPIans to please check out the Octavia to see the quality they offer inside for the same amount of money ! Did i mention DSG and TSI Technology !! Sunroof ?
Yes Skoda isn't as reliable and there are horror stories, yet i wouldn't pay 19L for a Corolla. My Dad got his Accord 2 years ago for under 21 !!
Hi man.

The Etios doesn't deserve the dislike: it actually rides-handles-steers-brakes better than many, which is partly why it is such a popular cab. GTO says so too in his review comments, I believe.

Agreed wholeheartedly about the Skoda Octavia, except for the minor matter that it has little-to-no identity of its own, neither aesthetically nor technologically. It is a VW in drag, only with more legroom, being the VFM (e.g., thinner sheet metal) avatar of....VW. To me, it just looks a bit too banal, inside and out. Subtle is good, banal is not, IMO! And what is with the awkward, Superb-like, too-long-for-its-width sense I, at least, get?

Of course, its drive isn't banal and its interior is persuasively german-luxury-on-a-tight-budget, but if you were often or usually chauffeur-driven as most D-segment buyers are, would you even consider it, especially if you have it in your head, accurately, that Skoda is NOT any more premium a brand than say Toyota or Honda, globally? Let alone the famous ASS and reliability blues.

This Corolla can be accused of being low-tech (CVT v/s dual-clutch etc), and of course tastes differ, but it somehow to me has character and design identity in spades (e.g., retro style dashboard) to go with the 'Corolla' brand legacy (comfort, reliability, refinement, maturity, ease of maintenance.)

Of course I wouldn't/didn't buy either, despite looking seriously at both, but that is a different story!

cheers!
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 02:32   #116
BHPian

Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
I guess it's about the expectations one sets. When you are talking about a car that's going to cost about 15L, you have to compare with it's competitors. I must admit I haven't seen the car in person, but if it's only as good as cars that are in lower segment, then I think it would be okay to call it poor. It's jut a choice of word.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 04:16   #117
BHPian

Simply cannot understand the approach taken by Toyota for this generation model. I mean that ridiculous turbo lag and an anemic engine in this segment plus an entertainment console which looks like an after market fitment, i am simply lost for words. The car is not exactly an handler either. Anybody who remotely likes to drive himself/herself should steer clear of this product. Toyota made the same mistake with Etios/Liva where they thought the brand alone was enough to sell and now with competitors like Elantra, the new Corolla looks like it has an uphill task ahead.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 06:00   #118
Senior - BHPian

Toyota has been basking on their laurels for a long time now as far as the Indian market is concerned. As a result they have lost market share and Indian car buyers have started buying alternative products from competing brands. They have only been successful in niche products like the Fortuner (poor interors and heavily over priced) and Innova ( which is starting to lose market share)

COrolla will sell in limited numbers. This is simply not an aggressive move by Toyota.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 06:47   #119
BHPian

If cars sell only by looks, then Fiat must top the charts every month. From all the posts above, it looks like Toyota has lost the plot. However, the market never ceases to amaze. It is going to be an interesting watch.
Old 1st June 2014, 10:17   #120
Team-BHP Support

Though I was done with my points on this thread and there was no point repeating the same stuff but I saw a few posts which were quite baseless with incorrect facts that need to be hghlighted.

Quote:
The fluidic design language has already been toned down by Hyundai (in the Santa Fe, the i 10 grande and the upcoming new i20, new sonata etc) because that language was DESIGNED to be excessive, over the top since it was the instrument of Hyundai's final breakthrough and acceptance as a mainstream, respectable global manufacturer. Apparently that job of excessive, ostentatious styling has been done well, judging from how people in China and India have fallen in love with it. And no Hyundai sales rank in America is only middling, though improving.

The Toyota Corolla stands for certain values, not excluding more mature yet fresh styling, it has set high expectations, which is perhaps why it is being judged harshly here?
Desdemona, you really need to give some better reasons than legacy and third world countries liking fluidic styling. As someone mentioned this "fluidic" Elantra is what turned Hyundai around in the USA. The reason why Hyundai has been able to catch up with Toyota in a developed country. I hope you don't come back saying all the desi's are the one's buying Elantra in the states. lol.

Also, look at the irony, Toyota has realised that Hyundai's over the top styling of the Elantra is what worked and actually went back to the drawing board and came out with this new Altis which they have tried to make sharp and stylish from every angle. It's Toyota who is going by the ostentatious over the top styling.

The Toyota stood for brand values and till date it's legacy was boring design, reliable, old man's car, lifeless to drive.

With this new Altis Toyota is trying to change all 3 brand values and legacy it stood for. Quite ironic then, that you think Toyota is sticking to it's core values.

Quote:
It's quite convenient to highlight the useless features of a car and put it down. Did you completely forget the fact that apart from ventilated seats, the Elantra has 6 airbags (4 more than Altis), ESP with traction control. These are the critical safety features apart from the ventilated seats, dual zone climate control and rear AC vents I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Agreed wholeheartedly about the Skoda Octavia, except for the minor matter that it has little-to-no identity of its own, neither aesthetically nor technologically. It is a VW in drag, only with more legroom, being the VFM (e.g., thinner sheet metal) avatar of....VW. To me, it just looks a bit too banal, inside and out. Subtle is good, banal is not, IMO! And what is with the awkward, Superb-like, too-long-for-its-width sense I, at least, get?

Of course, its drive isn't banal and its interior is persuasively german-luxury-on-a-tight-budget, but if you were often or usually chauffeur-driven as most D-segment buyers are, would you even consider it, especially if you have it in your head, accurately, that Skoda is NOT any more premium a brand than say Toyota or Honda, globally? Let alone the famous ASS and reliability blues.
This is completely wrong. I mean not even close to being true.

Firstly, the Octavia. The Octavia not only in India but across Europe has a legacy and brand that is on par than the Corolla. The whole reason why Skoda brought back the Octavia name to india was because of the legacy this brand had. The identity the Octavia had was legendary which is why Skoda had to bring it back.

The Laura and now Octavia are far superior when it comes to engines, features and are almost exactly the same to drive as the VW counterpart. The supposedly cheaper Skoda has better materials than the VW you claim as better.

Take a look at the oldest first gen Octavia and compare it with the Current Jetta and you will see the older Octavia sheet metal as more solid than the current Jetta. Same goes with the Laura.

I don't even get the superb like styling point you mention cause people world over have the feedback as Octavia looking narrower than it actually is. You seem to be thoroughly confused when it comes to Vw and Skoda or have zero experience in these cars.

Worldwide Skoda is the budget brand but in India it is the Skoda that is more premium than the VW. The VW is more simple with lower features and lower specced engines. Exactly the opposite of what you are saying.

I would suggest you post with facts as your current posts have no factual information and are actually misleading because they are incorrect. Your opinion might differ but you cannot support your opinion by incorrect information.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks