Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 01:02   #196
BHPian

Re: 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis (11th Gen) launched @ 11.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
@raghav135 Did your test drive happen and how was the drive?
I am amazed at the professionalism showed by toyota sales team (Ravindu Toyota , bangalore). Always prompt on acting on test drive request. I had asked test drives for ford classic, honda city, and vento tsi, all of the other experiences are much below par (no test drive yet even after multiple follow ups).

The sales person got the vehicle to office and was able to test drive for around 30 minutes in the electronics city elevated highway.

I am new to automatic gear. I have only driven previous generation corolla (4 gear automatic) for around 1 hour. I had experienced the "rubber-band" effect in that model.

The 2014 corolla altis experience: I tried the new corolla altis for around half an hour. I could not test the speed beyond 80Kmph, would really love your views on it if you experienced it.

Positives:
1. Better driving seat position. My knee no more gets hit by the steering column when i get into the car (problem with old corolla).
2. Paddle shift in G variant of automatic. I was not aware of this and was pleasantly surprised. Works like a charm with instant shifts. Ended up having lots of fun with it.
3. Awesome suspension and under thigh support which makes long journeys a "walk in the park".
4. Gearbox without rubber-band effect. Tried my level best to create rubber band effect by flooring the accelerator and also giving sudden changes to accelerator input. Corolla altis passed with flying colors with absolutely no rubber-band effect.

Negatives:
1. Price. One of the reasons why Toyota is still my "dream" brand!
2. No xenon headlights option in G variant of automatic (was really looking forward to having it).

I was totally focused on driving that I missed to check out the interiors, it is not an issue for me (I drive an indigo : ) .
I missed to check out the "cruise control", completely missed it.

Overall, very satisfactory test drive.
raghav135 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 15:47   #197
BHPian

Hi Vid, eagerly waiting for the official review.
Old 17th July 2014, 11:36   #198

This is my first post on Team Bhp and am absolutely thrilled to finally come on board and add some value to fellow bhpians.

To get down straight to the point. I have bought the new generation corolla a month back. Its the Top end petrol variant automatic model. I have driven it for close to 1500 kms already across highway, hills, city and bad roads.

While I will come back with a detailed review later, at this point I am quite happy with the decision of buying this car, I checked out the Jetta, Octavia and buying this car was clearly a tough decision as my initial budget was 12-13L but then when I look back it has been worth it. Just some note worthy points so far:
  • City Mileage seems to be hovering around 10km/L
  • My combined average mileage for the first 1200 kms as shown by the MID was 13.8 kms/L. This included 150-200 kms of Shimla Roads with AC, 400 kms of City Driving in Delhi and around 600 kms of Chandigarh highway drive.
I get a decent amount of stares on the road as people are still not used to seeing the new corolla on road and at night both the Front and Rear lights give it a luxury sedan disguise (the DRL's, LED back lights, Front Projector Headlamps).
  • I have got the above mileage with absolutely sedate driving. Have never tried to push the car hard enough. The car did really well on hills in the 20-50 km speed range while I drove it in D Mode. It was a tad disappointing when I suddenly wanted to accelerate and overtake on hills. Still not used to using the Paddle Shifts or using the D1-D6 shift ratios. Somehow I am too focused on the mileage and stay away from moving to Manual or GEar Ratio usage. Will bite the bullet at some point but not now.
On the highways its a different story though. Its an absolute bliss to drive, no real power or surge lag at all even with 4-5 people on board.

Overall quite happy with the decision. More than happy to take any queries.
RohitSh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 14:09   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohitSh;3480575T
On the highways its a different story though. Its an absolute bliss to drive, no real power or surge lag at all even with 4-5 people on board.

That is exactly what I feel. Even when I drove 1.8VL petrol, the power was more than adequate for city and highway speeds. Let's not forget this is a family sedan and not a sports car.

I was actually pretty shocked to watch some of the video reviews on YouTube, where they have completely missed out on discussing some of it's positive traits and also have recommended the car for chauffeur driven buyers only. This holds true for the diesel model but the same just cannot be said for the petrol.

Let me put it this way, the new corolla is like a baby Camry but with a nice little touch of that fun element.
People buy the Corolla for its rock solid reliability, ride, practicality and comfort, but this time around Toyota has made a very good effort in terms of enhancing the overall appeal of the car in various ways.

I could have gone for the Octavia, but I want peace of mind. If it was a Merc, i don't mind that tradeoff for the badge.
I would still any day, in this budget, look no where else for a car which has such a good blend of everything that the Corolla provides.
mod_to_odd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 21:33   #200
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone confirm if the new Corolla headunit comes with RCA out ?
Old 21st July 2014, 04:59   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I still haven't got mine so can't say. But Mr RohitSh may be able to help you with that.
Old 21st July 2014, 15:02   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Hi I am not sure what RCA means? Please elaborate.
Old 21st July 2014, 16:22   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohitSh View Post
Hi I am not sure what RCA means? Please elaborate.
Hi. Rear RCA output is generally the term used to label the low level output to the rear speakers. There are normally 3 sets of rca's front, rear, and sub. These provide for an easier and much higher quality signal when installing an amplifier(s) if you aren't using amps don't worry about them.
Old 29th July 2014, 18:12   #204
Senior - BHPian

Mods,

I tried to search for the Official Corolla Test drive page but didn't find one. Have we decided to give this one a skip?
Old 29th July 2014, 23:17   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohitSh View Post
I have bought the new generation corolla a month back. Its the Top end petrol variant automatic model. I have driven it for close to 1500 kms already across highway, hills, city and bad roads.

What color is your Corolla?
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:53   #206
BHPian

General observation: I've always wondered why, that, at least in Goa, a large number of Corollas (previous generation) driven with both the ORVMs folded. Since only a few of the new corollas are delivered, I notice all of them with their ORVMs always folded! May sound stupid, but it's true.

Is there a problem or is it obstructive? Comments please......
Old 2nd August 2014, 17:11   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by filhosdegoa View Post

Is there a problem or is it obstructive? Comments please......
It costs 15,000 to replace if broken.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 17:41   #208
BHPian

On a serious note, I would have preferred if the Altis came with the front look to the Corolla sold in the United States and Canada which looks more contemporary and sporty - exactly like how Toyota wants it to be. in my opinion, the Walrus - like face of the New altis spoils the show. Nevertheless, the interiors is really comfortable and well appointed. It gives you the sense of freshness and sportiness and the materials used look better than what the critics describe.
Old 21st August 2014, 07:29   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not sure about the immobiliser in the J spec but the brown part regarding teh fog lamps is no error.

None of the diesel variants have fog lamps on them. Reason is there is not enough space behind the bumper for the fog lamp assembly in the diesel due to the intercooler plumbing.

So even the GL does not get it.
I don't know why they do not offer them from the factory itself. Because the intercooler plumbing part is pure B.S.

I know this because Nippon Toyota called my friend last week and offered the Fogs and DRLS as accessories for his G spec diesel Corolla. He got them installed last week itself.
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 08:27   #210
Senior - BHPian

For whats its worth. ACI Comparison Test - 2014 Toyota Corolla vs Skoda Octavia vs Hyundai Elantra vs Renault Fluence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks