Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 20:33   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide

Crossover boom continues, here is what is in the Patis 2014 show.

Toyota,Peugeot,Citroen,SsangYong ,Honda, Fiat and Jeep all showed small cars and concepts with 4x4 overtones while Kia and Mitsubishi revealed their future plans.
Fiat - Fiat 500X
Renault- Espace Cuv
Toyota - C-HR concept
SsangYong -X100
VW- Glolf alltrack Cuv
Peugeot - Quartz
Suzuki - New Vitara
Old 13th October 2014, 06:49   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Unsung hero...?
Perhaps one of the first "cross-over" available for sale in India. The crackling 1.6Duratec engine, a slick gearbox and a very, very comfy driving position made it a hoot to drive. Throw in generous ground clearance, large luggage space, folding rear seats and hard wearing interiors and it was something India had never seen before.
Guess the folks at Ford India had never seen it before too - as a confused market positioning, high pricing, unavailability of a diesel engine from start, cooked the Fusion's goose even before it started sales in earnest, which it never did !
What a waste of a simply brilliant car

Indeed what a pity. I was so keen on this car in 2008 when I was ready for a change. I badly wanted the Fusion Plus TDCi with ABS which had just been introduced. But with my own dunderheaded sense of priorities then, I went and bought the Scorpio, only because it was a natural upgrade from the Bolero in terms of everything, space, size, engine refinement, stowage capacity etc. I did seriously evaluate the Fusion too but when it came to the crunch, I actually got my Scorpio slightly cheaper and based on the "typical Indian mentality" of "large size, less price etc etc etc" I went and bought the Scorp.

I would add one more Crossover to the list - the Yeti, which I own now. Another very severely under-rated vehicle and absolutely one of the best of its type and in its class.
Old 13th October 2014, 16:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

So what are the confirmed CUVs we can expect in 2015 or early 2016? Hyundai ix25, Mahindra S101, Suzuki Cross, maybe a Duster reboot, what else?

I dont think Honda is anywhere ready, but cant be sure, they may spring a surprise with the Brio platform. I love to see a better effort from Honda compared to the Mobilio. Imagine something based on the Jazz/City.

The Yeti is a nice car. Really liked my short drive. Any possibility of an auto version?
Old 13th October 2014, 16:18   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
So what are the confirmed CUVs we can expect in 2015 or early 2016? Hyundai ix25, Mahindra S101, Suzuki Cross, maybe a Duster reboot, what else?
VW's CUV and Maruti's XA Alpha - for sure in 2016.

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th October 2014 at 16:20.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:57   #35
BHPian

I think you can also add tata nexon which was displayed at the auto expo to the list. The release should be later part of 2015 or early 2016.
Old 17th October 2014, 15:02   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossovers are for now, will it be Micro Cuv's in the future.

Maruti draws plans for the CUV boom. Starts survey on feasability of the 'cheapest SUV' for India.

S Cross in 2015, XA Alpha in 2015/16 and the micro cuv in 2018?
Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd, India’s largest passenger vehicle maker, plans to develop a mini crossover—a vehicle built on a car platform and possessing the features of a sports utility vehicle (SUV)—for customers seeking higher ground clearance that allows them to travel in greater comfort on pot-holed city and rural roads
http://www.livemint.com/Industry/dxc...mong-SUVs.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th October 2014 at 15:03.
Old 25th November 2014, 21:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossover boom catches up globally, report indicate crossovers have grown to 11 percent of the U.S. new-car market from 7 percent in 2007.

Subcompact SUVs could mostly hurt the Compact sedans and also could affect

Targeting young buyers, Honda's HR-V, Fiat's 500X were unveiled at the LA Auto show.

Not to be left out, now Toyota too could join the race soon.

Lifestyle changes are driving this evolution of the crossover market,
Quote:
Generation Y'ers are undergoing changes in their lifestyles," he said. "They're getting older, they're getting higher-paying jobs, they're starting families and moving out of small sedans. They've always wanted new vehicles with more versatility and small SUVs may have grown a little large
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...oves-downscale
Old 26th November 2014, 08:35   #38
Team-BHP Support

For the X-over category, my usual lament is most would be sub-4m products. And thanks to that rule, we will see very few comfy and spacious x-overs below 20L. And I doubt we will see many products in that segment. The IX-25 though greater than 4m, still doesn't seem not have enough leg room and space at the back. Lets see how does that S-Cross fare in that game. I just hope Honda re-thinks its decision about not bringing in the Vezel.

The other issue can be the swooping curve of these products. That can cause a potential reduction in head room and a high rear window line, which can be quite an impediment to long distance hauls for the back seat passengers. Let see how these products tackle such design related issues.

Last edited by ampere : 26th November 2014 at 08:39.
Old 12th January 2015, 09:19   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossovers continue to be focus even in the luxury segment.

Now Jaguar announces its plans calls it the F-pace and will debut in 2017.

Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-2017jaguarfpacebadgeandtaillampdetaile1421010010275.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/jaguar-...-pace-moniker/
Old 12th January 2015, 11:10   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you believe this? The world's Global (favourite) car is here. A car cutting across all markets be it Americas , Europe or even the emerging markets.
And it is the Crossover.

Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-ar301129993.jpg
Quote:
The global car is here. And it's not a car.
It's the small crossover, and it's quickly cementing its place as the super vehicle for the global auto market, with a size and shape that checks more boxes in more regions than any other.
These vehicles are small enough for Europeans, tall enough for Americans, rugged enough for the developing world. They work for budget-minded 20-somethings and empty nesters. They come in luxury packages (Mercedes GLA) or dressed down (Chevy Trax). They can be geared for the trail (Jeep Renegade) or the track (Porsche Macan).
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...utonews-weekly
Old 12th January 2015, 15:04   #41
BHPian

While globally, they may focus on it as a separate segment, here's the "10 Magical Steps to make your failed hatch a Crossover" by every Indian car manufacturer

1. Take a hatchback which is a) nearing it's product life cycle or b) has bombed earlier or c) doesn't sell well

2. Buy the entire plastic cladding industry in Thailand (or any another plastic manufacturing country)

3. Paste above acquired cladding generously all over the car. Remove all considerations towards utility. Just cladding. Add a bull bar for running through the fields displacing bulls.

4. Pick a place to prominently mount a tire in the hatchback, preferably in the back. Add complicated loading / mounting mechanisms for added pleasure.

5. Modify suspension setup to add ground clearance. Do not worry about previous niggles or handling characteristics. The customers will sort that out on their own. What else are service centers for?!

6. Touch up the sorry interiors and add bluetooth. Paint it burnt orange. Because all cross-overs should be burnt-orange. Any other color and the crossover fails.

7. Stick weird stickers all over the car and shame all good aftermarket manufacturers including suspension, tire and performance tuners. Christen the car with a rugged name and add a Cross to the end. (It's gonna suffer anyways)

8. In every dealership, mount it with one wheel raised (like a dog peeing) and amidst rugged surroundings. TV advertisements showcase how living in the car is actually possible.

9. Price the car with the least reasonable price-point. Do not, by any means, worry about the previous price point of the failed hatchback. This is a brand-new product and will sell like hot cakes if the price is doubled

10. Announce the <insert hatchback name or initial> - CROSS as the Best Thing Ever. If anyone says otherwise, run them over with cladding.

The End.

That's all folks. So, who wants an A-Cross (Alto-Cross) or a E-OnCross (Eon-Cross)?
Mad Max is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 15:13   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
While globally, they may focus on it as a separate segment, here's the "10 Magical Steps to make your failed hatch a Crossover" by every Indian car manufacturer

Well, none of those Cross models have managed to work its magic in the market though, e.g.; Polo Cross, Etios Cross etc.
Old 12th January 2015, 15:57   #43
BHPian

The need for higher ground clearance comes out to be one of the key factors after reading the posts above. I would like to add - a new type of body styling for cars acting as a one of the growth driver for growing demand for CUV's.

We have seen sedans on roads for decades and not long time back SUVs were practically not affordable to everyone. In past decade emergence of affordable CUVs right from the mass market - Ecosport to luxury Evoque has led to this demand
Old 28th February 2015, 09:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Luxury Cars too fall in tow with the Crossover bug. This buzz is getting bigger!

Lexus LF-SA concept leaks, to be previewed shortly!

Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-xlfsa1e1425086733157_jpeg_pagespeed_ic_r6b5xglu0ulc193m_fhn.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/339548/l...-leaks-online/
Old 7th March 2015, 15:34   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Is Maruti planning a new segment in India - The MINI Crossover ?

Crossovers (CUV) - The new trend worldwide-46446319.jpg

Suzuki having released the concept crossover in the form of iM-4, there are great chances that Maruti will built upon this platform and create this segment.

With Suzuki's 4x4 blending with the latest fuel saving technology ( as revealed in Geneva - 15 Auto show ).
With its 4WD system, high minimum ground clearance, incorporating cutting-edge technology with a new-generation platform and SHVS mild hybrid system, could spin off a series of cars catering to the demand.

This could be placed below the YBA - the EcoSport rival and S Cross at the top of the crossover segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks