Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 20:29   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
1. The legal status of the ban is that the RTO's in Delhi have supposedly been issued a circular, prohibiting them from renewing the registration of vehicles older than 15 years.

!

Thanks. Sorry for asking but this is all relatively new to me. What's this renewing of registration about? Does it aplly to bikes as well? I own a 1975 restored bullet. The only thing I have been renewing is its PUC?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 22:31   #107
BHPian

re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

I came across this article in TOI Delhi published on 06.11.2014 citing another cause of pollution in Delhi.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...cfmid=14000000
Old 16th December 2014, 22:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Thanks. Sorry for asking but this is all relatively new to me. What's this renewing of registration about? Does it aplly to bikes as well? I own a 1975 restored bullet. The only thing I have been renewing is its PUC?

Jeroen
Initial registration is valid for 15 years. After that, you need to renew the registration every 5 years by producing the vehicle at the RTO office. It is applicable for all vehicles that carry a registration number, across India.

Your registration certificate should indicate the validity end date somewhere.

Last edited by zenren : 16th December 2014 at 22:45.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 12:15   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

DTP shared this a while ago.

Name:  green.PNG
Views: 2005
Size:  46.6 KB
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 15:02   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Attachment 1319378
This is really shocking. I think they are going ahead with the implementation without even considering or analyzing the issue in proper perspective. Many owners might have 15+ year old cars which they would have maintained well - even spending a fortune on it. The yardstick should be whether the vehicle pollutes or not rather than number of years. Not sure what will happen to old Bullets and Amby.

Not sure whether in Delhi all the buses are less than 15 years old? I think in Chennai there are public transport buses which are more than 15 years old. Imagine the impact it will cause to common public if this is implemented in all cities
Old 17th December 2014, 15:15   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

So what is the option for a 15 year old vehicle? The owner will forcibly have to scarp it? I am worried about my Lancer which is a 2002 model but in great shape and well maintained.
Old 17th December 2014, 15:45   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

15+ years old vehicle is not allowed for so&so reason, let it be. RTO charged a lot of vehicles to issue fitness certificate for next 5 years, are they refunding it?

PS: Being an classic lover I'm least bothered about the refund. But was this considered? If not, why?
Old 17th December 2014, 19:11   #113
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few snippets from the verdict:

Quote:
An argument has been advanced before us to say that banning of 15 years old vehicles in Delhi would be unfair to the owners of the cars and consequently if cars are sent outside Delhi it would mean that they will cause pollution in other cities and hence, it would shift the pollution. This submission is not only misconceived but void of reasoning as well. Foremost, it pre-supposes that the vehicles of more than 15 years age are not causing pollution. The direction for not permitting the 15 years old vehicles to ply in Delhi may cause some hardship but certainly that hardship on individual or group of individuals must give way to the public cause of better environment and public health, which as per constitutional mandate is the fundamental right of the public at large. Individual rights must concede in favour of public rights. Furthermore a 15 year old vehicle may have greater adverse impact on the air quality and environment in a congested area with heavy vehicles density in comparison to when it is driven in an area which is open, with thin vehicle density has a greener belt and wider air dispersion possibility. It is an established fact that particulate problem is most severe in the area having dense population coupled with heavy traffic intensity. Although new engine design have come into existence to reduce emission but the gain has got over shadowed the increasing number of vehicles and the increasing miles travelled per vehicle per year (Wargo et al 2006; Environment and Human Health Inc. Connecticut, USA) with heavy engine. We have to give precedence to the environment and public health and, therefore, the directions must be adhered to without delay and default. Having considered various aspects and after seriously pondering over the suggestions made at the Bar or in the Chamber meeting, we are of the considered view that further directions are called for in the larger public interest and to ensure prevention of air pollution emanating from the three primary sources aforestated.
Quote:
The DTC shall ensure that every bus belonging to DTC or operating under its directions is subjected to mechanical check up through computerised system once every month and will be subjected to check for PUC atleast twice a month.
Full order link: http://www.greentribunal.gov.in/Writ...12-2014_1v.pdf
Old 17th December 2014, 19:35   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
]

Thanks
I'm still a little confused when I read this. on the one hand (article 1) it says no 15 year or older vehicles. But then at the end of the third article it seems that if you have a valid registration prior this new rule coming into affect, you vehicle is excempt? You wont be able to renew, but if your just renewed your registration certificate one day before this new rule came into affect, are you good to go for five years?

Thanks
Jeroen
Old 17th December 2014, 20:49   #115
BHPian

Well. Pollution is a concern agreed. I'm unable to understand why only 15 years old vehicles? Why not overloaded trucks? Why not adultrated fuel? Furthermore why not make it mandatory for every vehicle to have a valid pollution certificate? The government can increase the fine to ₹10000 on first offence and cancellation on second. This would be a logical solution. Also for commercial vehicles - any vehicle entering Delhi should be checked for pollution certificate. For all diesel vehicles above 3 years it should be mandatory to get pollution checked once a month. Imposing hefty penalty can be a solution. Moreover the number of vehicles above 15 years in Delhi is a mere fraction as compared to new vehicles which pollute more. Banning is not the solution but being strict is. Lately I've seen a drop in corruption and also cops are becoming more active. They can easily catch hold of offenders. I think this is a better way of dealing with the current situation.
Old 17th December 2014, 20:51   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
I'm still a little confused when I read this. on the one hand (article 1) it says no 15 year or older vehicles. But then at the end of the third article it seems that if you have a valid registration prior this new rule coming into affect, you vehicle is excempt? You wont be able to renew, but if your just renewed your registration certificate one day before this new rule came into affect, are you good to go for five years?

Thanks
Jeroen
From the DTP notice it seems that all vehicles above 15 years will be considered as unregistered motor vehicle and will be impounded. So my opinion is the registration will not matter in this case.
Old 17th December 2014, 22:35   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
From the DTP notice it seems that all vehicles above 15 years will be considered as unregistered motor vehicle and will be impounded. So my opinion is the registration will not matter in this case.
So what does that last bit in that order mean then?

Jeroen
Old 17th December 2014, 23:45   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what does that last bit in that order mean then?

Jeroen
If you have a valid RC on a old vehicle, you are good to go till it expires again.
If its already expired, you have no way out.
Old 18th December 2014, 06:01   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
If you have a valid RC on a old vehicle, you are good to go till it expires again.
If its already expired, you have no way out.

Thanks, I just checked my registration and it looks as if I'm good to go for another three years!

Jeroen
Old 18th December 2014, 08:42   #120
BHPian

Jeroen, buddy i went to the authority day before and they refused to transfer the RC of a bike in my name and the RC memtions the fitness validity upto 2016. I'll have to get it registered in other state is what they told me. Just wanted to update all members.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks