Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 18:12   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

Some recent updates to the V-VMP. At the outset, it looks more like they are trying to only cover the commercial vehicles

Some excepts from the article

Quote:
"The state governments would play a key role in the decision and for that meetings need to be convened. He (Jaitley) also suggested that the scheme should be made compulsory instead of voluntary,” the official said, requesting anonymity.

Now, we are going to rework the programme and divide it into two phases.

But the finance minister agreed that there has to be some kind of incentive to promote the scheme

As per our estimates, if both the state and the central government give incentives and say the heavy vehicle cost is around Rs.15 lakh, the discount would be around Rs.1-2 lakh for the vehicle buyer. If the first phase is successful, then we will roll out the next phase
Link to the article
http://www.livemint.com/Politics/gSw...Jaitley-t.html

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 28th September 2016 at 18:13.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 12:25   #272
Senior - BHPian

Re: Proposal to ban 15 year old vehicles. EDIT: Concept paper released on page 18

Came across this news about policy to scrap 15 years old vehicles.

Quote:
NEW DELHI: India will soon come out with a policy to scrap vehicles that are more than 15 years old, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari said today.

The policy aims at curbing rising vehicular pollution in the country.

"We have almost finalised the scrapping policy for vehicles with NITI Aayog," the road and transport minister said.

Vehicles completing 15 years or more would be scrapped, the minister said without giving more details.
News Source : https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...dkari/62933025

Last edited by SJM1214 : 19th February 2018 at 12:26. Reason: Typo fixed.
Old 22nd May 2018, 04:44   #273
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, just came across this. This basically shuts down my dream of one day, owning an original MH410 Zen.

Can anyone spell out the implications for a layman, i.e what if I just buy it at 14 years of age? So basically, I am stuck with it forever (can't sell, can only scrap)? Or, can't continue using it after a year more?

I am not a legal expert (you could say I'm the opposite), but this feels.. unconstitutional. For someone who spent their money 20 years back, having the discipline to run it and not upgrade, or can't upgrade, they incur a loss now?

All those beautiful Royal Enfields and Mahindra jeeps are going to scrap?
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:50   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Oh man, just came across this. This basically shuts down my dream of one day, owning an original MH410 Zen.

All those beautiful Royal Enfields and Mahindra jeeps are going to scrap?
This idea seems silly, I don't get the point of fitness certificate if they are to be scrapped.

I have said this time and time again, having the same car running for 25 years is more eco friendly than getting a new car every three years. Imagine someone using their cars for less than 1L km in 15 years, what's the point of scraping such a car with low mileage?

Hope it's not a way to push the sales of new cars, which has been reported to be slowing down.
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:54   #275
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a 2003 Forester and am spending loads to restore it to perfect shape. Will I be banned from using it soon? Or is this something that will be enforced only on commercial vehicles or just offered as an incentive to scrap a car once its 15years old but not a rule that one must do so?
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:33   #276
BHPian

Current news seems to indicate that compulsory scrapping is for commercial vehicles only:

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...-know/1172429/

To quote:

"Plans are afoot to set up 20 vehicle scrap centres once the government finalises its vehicle scrapping policy that proposes to scrap 20-year old commercial vehicles, a steel ministry official said today.Also, the ministry plans to formulate a steel scrap policy by the end of this year."Our scrap policy is absolutely now at a final stage and the Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways is coming up with end of life cycle policy for commercial vehicles...so we are going to have 20 such (vehicle scrap) centres," Steel Secretary Aruna Sharma said today.The proposed vehicle scrapping policy for mandatory disposal of more than 20-year old commercial vehicles will go for the Cabinet nod soon."
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:17   #277
BHPian

I don't know about scrapping, but I don't think they are providing fitness certification to cars which have crossed the 15-year mark, the default duration when it expires.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 8th June 2018, 20:32   #278
BHPian

In a major news for vintage car and bike enthusiasts, the National Green Tribunal has permanently exempted vintage and classic cars from the 15-year-old vehicle ban. As per the previous order, all vehicles older than fifteen years old were to be scrapped in the Delhi-NCR region. However, the ban was opposed by enthusiasts and owners alike given the historical importance of the said vehicles. As per the order, vintage and classic cars registered under the Motor Vehicles Act to be used for exhibitions, rallies and maintenance will be permanently from the ban. The decision has been met with much applause amongst vintage car owners and enthusiasts.

The Green Court referring to Rule 92 (2)(c) of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 and Section 59 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, granted an exemption to "antique/vintage" vehicles. The bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar said that vintage cars that satisfy prescribed norms under the Motor Vehicles Act would be allowed to run. The plea to allow vintage and classic cars on roads was filed by Heritage Motoring Club of India, with senior advocate KTS Tulsi acting as president.

The ban was originally announced in 2014 and vintage/classic car owners had to take special permission from the NGT to drive these vintage vehicles on public roads. The court also pointed out that while the vehicles being allowed to ply on public roads, the owners also had a corporate social responsibility and need to make a contribution towards the environment by planting more trees and providing dustbins, which would help improve the overall ambient air quality of Delhi. The ban will affect over 10,000 vintage vehicles in the country that span from 1886 to 1987, which had an uncertain future. The Delhi-NCR region alone is said to have about 1200 vehicles that fall under this category. The classic car movement has been opposing the ban, which was brought into effect after increased air pollution concerns in the national capital. The owners argued that these cars not only held higher value but were also of historical importance and served different roles in the growth of vehicular transport of the nation.

Mod Note: Please avoid using external editors

Last edited by ampere : 8th June 2018 at 20:57. Reason: Formatted
Old 8th June 2018, 23:43   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Alenghat View Post
In a major news for vintage car and bike enthusiasts, the National Green Tribunal has permanently exempted vintage and classic cars from the 15-year-old vehicle ban.
Thanks, Jacob!

I'll post the obvious next thought that follows - what exactly is deemed a classic or vintage car? I guess, subjective opinion (read: possible grease-my-palms-ism) of whoever is dealing with the permission request at the "National Green Tribunal"..
Old 25th September 2018, 20:26   #280
BHPian

This is quite a concern . Do we have an update on this rule.

I have a 14 year old karizma that I just restored. And it's due for renewal next year.

It is good to know that vintages are exempted as i am planning on adding a yezdi and rd350 soon .
Old 25th September 2018, 22:14   #281
BHPian

So a 1986 Premier Padmini can continue to operate on roads with green tax paid for years to come ?
Old 21st September 2019, 13:08   #282
BHPian

So, it seems that the government is going all out in scrapping ALL vehicles over 15 years. The auto lobbies have won their battle and will get their sales by arm-twisting and submitting vehicle owners by brute force. The logic behind this is baffling as the road worthiness of the vehicle is not taken into consideration at all. They're putting a lid on India's automotive history.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/71206673.cms
Old 21st September 2019, 14:04   #283
Senior - BHPian

Govt to approve vehicle scrapping policy soon: Nitin Gadkari

Govt to approve vehicle scrapping policy soon: Gadkari

Union Road Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari has said that the Union Cabinet will soon decide on the proposed vehicle scrapping the policy, which proposes discarding vehicles older than 15 years.

"I have signed the file for the cabinet note on the policy for the scrapping of old vehicles including old cars, buses, three and two-wheelers. Finance Ministry has approved the note on it and the government will very soon clear it," he said while speaking at the curtain raiser event of the India Manufacturing Show (IMS) 2020 here on Thursday.

The minister had earlier said that once the policy is approved India could emerge as a hub for automobile manufacturing as key raw material available from scrapping like steel, aluminium and plastic are bound to be recycled, bringing down automobile prices by "20-30 %."

In May 2016, the government had floated a draft Voluntary Vehicle Fleet Modernisation Programme (V-VMP) that proposed to take 28 million decade-old vehicles off the road.

The government could offer tax incentives for discarding vehicles older than 15 years under the proposed scrappage policy, apart from other measures to disincentivise plying of vehicles older than 15 years.

While the automobile industry has suggested to the government that financial incentives should be given to it to accelerate the plan to phase out polluting commercial vehicles that are more than 15 years, the government wants the industry to offer some discount to new buyers as it would boost their sales.

Gadkari also advocated the deployment of board gauge metro as an affordable, efficient and time-saving option for inter-city travel which will reduce stress on large cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore.

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...ri-762782.html
SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 14:46   #284
Team-BHP Support

Re: Govt to approve vehicle scrapping policy soon: Nitin Gadkari

Frankly, the rule should be

Scrap all commercial vehicles above 15 years old - there are safety considerations
Passenger vehicles above 15 years old - Raise the barriers in terms of

- Expected fitness standards - enforce stricter guidelines
- Limit their use - Make cities Low Emission Zones. Do not allow these cars to operate between 7am till 7 pm.
- Pay a Green Tax for renewal.

This should spare classic cars and older cars in good condition
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 16:00   #285
Senior - BHPian

I have a slightly different take on this.

Automobiles became important part of our lives because of the passion and love. People aspired to own automobiles because they reflect the owners personality.

While automotive industry is going after short term profit here, it will only prove problem for them in future.

If you take away the nostalgia from the vehicle and comoditize it, it will backfire in the long run with younger generation completely moving away from automobile purchases since they will never build that lasting bond.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks