Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2018, 11:58   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India

Volvo should be a name to watch out for in the race to the 4th spot. With plans for local assembly and honest prices, they are well placed to achieve that. Against JLR, they probably have few models, but almost all their cars are quite drool worthy inside out.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 14:34   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Audi announced its annual deliveries in the Indian market for 2017 at 7876 units (2% YOY growth). This year also marked the completion of ten years of the four rings in India.
Audi definitely needs a better differentiation in their line up. All their cars look almost the same and at first look, the guy in the A3 has everyone beat looking like the guy who drives the A6. It's great that they follow a design language. But when it's imposed upon every minor thing, it's just plain jane.

Personally, I love the BMW clean lines vs. Audi. The Merc is a Bollywood star in the mix. The Volvo is the stunt artist. JLR is the casting couch seeking producer.
Mad Max is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 17:35   #168
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Jaguar-Land Rover announces a growth of 49% YOY. 3,954 units sold in 2017.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 17:44   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Jaguar-Land Rover announces a growth of 49% YOY. 3,954 units sold in 2017.
To me this is the brand to look out for in coming years. They have good brand reputation(unlike Volvo) and considered equal or a touch above the Germans. Backing the brand is nice line up of cars which includes a brand dedicated to SUV's!I would not be surprised if JLR manages to make inroads and dethrone one of German from top three in 2018.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 21:49   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW India sold 9,379 cars in 2017, clocking a notable growth of 25% as compared to 2016.

Mini, the small-premium car offering from the BMW Group, delivered sales of 421 with a growth of 17%, compared to 2016

BMW Group has delivered its finest performance in India till date in calendar year 2017 with all three brands – BMW, MINI and Motorrad.

BMW Motorrad delivered 252 motorcycles.

Link

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2018 at 08:49. Reason: Adding motorcycle number too :)
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 18:55   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo cars posts record sales of 2029 cars, grows 28% in sales.

Volvo cars had sold 1,585 units in 2016

Quote:
The company's highest ever retail sales performance comes on the back of a great year marked by exciting new product launches, successful start of local assembly, network expansion and exemplary brand engagement programs

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th January 2018 at 18:56.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 21:22   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes takes the crown in the luxury segment for sales in 2017.

Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India-0_578_872_0_100_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20180105060745_mercedes_chart.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th January 2018 at 21:24.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 00:23   #173
BHPian

Being curious about Volvo Cars' historical performance in the market and unable to find any concentrated sales data, I spared some time to compile one. Some of the sources:

Link 1 Link 2 Link 3 Link 4

Hope this helps

Volvo Cars India Sales Figures CY 2008 - 2017

Mercedes, BMW & Audi sales figures in India-capture.jpg
Senna4Ever is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 16:01   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mercedes takes the crown in the luxury segment for sales in 2017.

--
Official figures released by Mercedes,

Quote:
Mercedes Benz Ind sold 15,330 cars in 2017, up 16% y-o-y from 2016, when it sold 13,231 cars, and twice the number it sold in 2012. Progress made on the back of the sucess of E, C, GLC and GLE with double-digit growth in the sedan, SUV and AMG segment

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 16:23   #175
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi has clearly lost out. I guess the New Q5 may help a bit but the A4, A3 and Q3 have not been the hits that they would have wanted them to be. Under powered and poor rear seats is what comes to mind. Q5 too has been described to be very good but not exciting and nothing special on the inside. Audi interiors had a lead earlier but have lost out recently.

Volvo has grown quite well and should be just about close to No. 4 next year. They need to get the Premium brand image across vs the competition. They do loose out as a Brand.

JLR is under performing due to a poor network and pricing.

Mercedes of course has got the models well lined up and 2018 too should be good for them.

BMW has done surprisingly well in my view. (Though it is a brand I root for.)
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:15   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Audi has clearly lost out. I guess the New Q5 may help a bit but the A4, A3 and Q3 have not been the hits that they would have wanted them to be. Under powered and poor rear seats is what comes to mind. Q5 too has been described to be very good but not exciting and nothing special on the inside. Audi interiors had a lead earlier but have lost out recently.

Volvo has grown quite well and should be just about close to No. 4 next year. They need to get the Premium brand image across vs the competition. They do loose out as a Brand.

JLR is under performing due to a poor network and pricing.

Mercedes of course has got the models well lined up and 2018 too should be good for them.

BMW has done surprisingly well in my view. (Though it is a brand I root for.)
Audi cars are getting way too boring, uninspiring. How many will be able to differentiate current A4 from previous generation? Heck I myself have to look at the nomenclature at the back to differentiate an A4 from A6. The differences are so akin to A4 vs A6 paper sheet.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 15:05   #177
BHPian

Do these brands release a model-wise breakup or a breakup based on fuel? I see more and more of these cars being sold in the petrol avatar and it would really interesting to see the sales figures for both, petrol and diesel, grow over the year. The petrol vs diesel car-wise sales figures thread was a super interesting read. Something like that could be done for these luxury cars too!

I'm pretty surprised to see Audi lagging behind by such a huge margin, but I feel that is to be expected since we are yet to get the new A6, A8 and Q5. The Q2 could also boost sales figures if priced well. I spotted the upcoming Q8 near Valsad alongside the new A8 so I assume we can expect them here in the near future. If looks are something to go by, I expect both the A8 and Q8 to sell well (both looked incredible despite sporting a camo).

I feel Audi trying to price the A6 similar to the new BMW 5 and Merc E is also a mistake. The A6 is much older than the competition and should be replaced ASAP if they want to boost sales in a segment that's super important not just in our market, but globally as well. Or could it be that Audi wants to push the A5 here since it is similarly priced?
AnInternetUser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 15:15   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post

I'm pretty surprised to see Audi lagging behind by such a huge margin, but I feel that is to be expected since we are yet to get the new A6, A8 and Q5. The Q2 could also boost sales figures if priced well. I spotted the upcoming Q8 near Valsad alongside the new A8 so I assume we can expect them here in the near future. If looks are something to go by, I expect both the A8 and Q8 to sell well (both looked incredible despite sporting a camo).

I feel Audi trying to price the A6 similar to the new BMW 5 and Merc E is also a mistake. The A6 is much older than the competition and should be replaced ASAP if they want to boost sales in a segment that's super important not just in our market, but globally as well. Or could it be that Audi wants to push the A5 here since it is similarly priced?
The models you are speaking of like the A8 and Q8 will not bring in any significant volume. The A6's sticker price may be at par with the 5 and E but it sells at a much higher discount. In the premium segment, the ex-showroom and OTR pricelists don't mean much.

The problem with Audi is that the breadwinners aren't performing - A4,A3,Q3. The A4 is a pretty new model but hasn't got many takers as customers prefer the C followed by the 3. The A3 did not really pick up from the start, with it's honda city type dimensions, it is way too small and overpriced. The Q3 is way too dated against the X1 that is killing it.

Audi needs to rethink the A4, perhaps offer better kit and make it more exciting to get sales moving. In the meantime, the new gen A3 and Q3 should be their priority launches.
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 15:16   #179
Senior - BHPian

The main advantage ( apart from other product advantages already discussed ) for the big 3 Germans is the presence of captive NBFC arm that plays a big role in this segment structuring all kinds of crazy financing deals that regular financiers ( banks ) can't or won't do.
I am not sure if JLR has one in India. Volvo trucks has one but that's owned by Volvo AB whereas Volvo cars is under Chinese ownership.

In this segment, its important to have a in-house financial arm. I hope Volvo can figure out a way to use Volvo financial services for the car business to propel growth in the coming years.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 15:18   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
Do these brands release a model-wise breakup or a breakup based on fuel? I see more and more of these cars being sold in the petrol avatar and it would really interesting to see the sales figures for both, petrol and diesel, grow over the year.
Given the limited quantity sold in our country, getting the model-wise break up is difficult. Though, if it helps, the E Class/5 series segment has been one of the larger sellers for these manufacturers from what I understand - with the C Class / GLC Segments following closely behind.

Quote:
The reason is simple - Audi has lost it's competitive edge. Mercedes is the king of luxury, BMW is the king of driving pleasure. Where does that leave Audi? Especially with the gap between luxury and driving pleasure narrowing with each model. While Audi has some good products like the A4 - the C Class has it beat on feel good factor, and the BMW 3 series has it beat on driving pleasure. Expect it to continue with the new Q5 and A6 as well, even when their new models come out.
IMO Its clear that Mercedes is going to be leading with sales for this coming year as well, and Audi can hope to beat BMW for second spot this year.
Quote:
The A6 is older than it's competitors - but they're still in the same segment so official prices will not change much. However, Audi has some very tempting discounts on offer on their older models - making them cheaper than the newer rivals.
They're promoting the A6 at 45L Ex-showroom, which is considerably cheaper than a similarly equipped 5 series / E Class post discounts.

On priority - they need to get a better engine for the A4 petrol + service packages for long term ownership. The new Q5 needs to come here pronto, as does a well priced and equipped A6. The A8, Q3, A3 will not see significant sale numbers.

Last edited by lamborghini : 10th January 2018 at 15:19.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks