Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto

Here are more images of the upcoming Quanto facelift.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img1.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img2.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img3.png

Source: Motor Octane

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd March 2015 at 13:24.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:10   #17
BHPian

The third pic makes the front look too much like an XUV.. The quanto wasn't any beautiful already, and I feel that front will make things worse.
Old 28th April 2015, 11:02   #18
Team-BHP Support

Here are some more images of the Quanto facelift.

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-quanto1.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-quanto2.jpg

Source: Motorbash
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 11:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is a case of too little, too late.

Quanto is pitted against the beautiful Eco sport and though it cannot fight on the looks department, it also loses big on other departments as well.

The ride is bumpy, excess body roll, vague steering and notchy gearbox+ an ugly looking car leads to a market debacle.

The pseudo bonnet scoops and the hard to differentiate from today rear will not win many hearts.
Quanto will continue to languish at the sales bottom till M&M decides to kill it completely.
Old 28th April 2015, 11:22   #20
Team-BHP Support

I have a feeling that the new Quanto's front might still look ok. They seem to be trying with DRL and stuff. However, overall, it looks like a big breadbox on wheels. More of an overgrown Wagon R. However, it takes a Maruti to sell breadboxes for decades in this country. Others have but fallen with much better products. Don't know what does M&M expects to really achieve here with this thing!
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 11:47   #21
Team-BHP Support

With such flawed proportions to begin with, there is no way the Quanto can be made to look attractive with facelifts. The whole idea behind the Quanto was not well thought out, and its always better to nip it in the bud rather than prolog the agony.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 12:00   #22
BHPian

I don't understand M&Ms logic here. The front seems to be a mish-mash of the Scorpio and the XUV. The DRLs et all look fancy, but its like applying mascara to a goat. What's the point of it?

Also, if they're refreshing the Quanto and plan to pit it against the EcoSport, where does the S101 fit in?

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 12:18   #23
BHPian

The reason they chose Xylo for a sub 4m Compact version is because technically it was the most feasible option - faster and at a lower cost. Plus Xylo itself was not doing too well (as per the company's expectation) so they needed to do something on the platform to better utilise it. Not too sure how Genio pickup is doing, but Quanto does not look relevant in today's context. The main problem is its height, which hampers the overall proportion and looks. But the engine is surely a plus for M&M and a better tuned version can easily go down on any of their future products.

When they are having upcoming S101 and sub 4m Bolero (U301) in the compact SUV segment, not sure why are they spending on Quanto revival.
Old 28th April 2015, 15:09   #24
BHPian

The funny bit is Mahindra clearly fail to understand the reason behind Quanto's failure. The proportions are so odd that no matter how many facelifts you do, you are not going to make it look proportionate. The vehicle is so tall that to keep the roll in check they have used stiff suspension leading to bumpy ride. The height is so much that it rolls like a leaning tower of Pisa. When you have alternatives like Duster/Ecosport and the upcoming compact SUV from Maruti who will go out and a Quanto. Mahinda need to cut their losses and phase this one out.
Old 28th April 2015, 15:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra's rationale seems to be that the vehicle will succeed if it has:

1. Lots of chrome
2. Weird cuts and creases on the body
3. Blackened-out lamps & fancy sticker work preferred by ricer boys
4. A conjured-up name for the engine featured prominently on the side
5. Fake scoops, electrical gizmos & other stuff normally sold in "accessory shops"
6. A corny ad campaign
7. A name ending in an 'O'

Cant blame them for this line of thinking - it seems to work for some of their products. They should know their target market more than us, but hoping that this monstrosity would succeed if similarly 'spruced up' is being too optimistic.

What next - 'Refreshed Verito Vibe' along similar lines?
Old 28th April 2015, 22:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Surprisingly, Mahindra has been raising the prices of its dud product. From the time of launch, the base variant has gone up by 50K on the road, and the top now costs 80K more.

Spacious, nice diesel engine, acceptable interior quality...but the horrible looks & bumpy ride quality keep people away.
Exactly. GTO -as usual- has nailed it. I always felt the Quanto was brilliant as a concept. In fact, it has also become a good example of how (not) to ruin a great concept by flawed and half-hearted execution. Here was a proper compact SUV based on a proper ladder frame platform, unlike those sissy 'Cross' hatches. And it has most characteristics of proper SUV covered. High seating, good view of the road, space, and along with it the excellent 1.5 liter motor that also manages to get under the small car mark. And to top it all off, Mahindra engineers added those extra jump seats at the back too! (Indians love lots of seats in their SUV's, don't we?).
But then, the same people retained the look of the Xylo, retained the same crudely designed and cheaply built interiors, and didn't really try to fix the dynamics either.

The thing with that car, apart from the obvious bad design, and image issues related to the Xylo is that though Mahindra always positioned it as an urban lifestyle vehicle, it always had this unmistakable vibe (no pun intended) of a utility vehicle or a commercial vehicle, something which it could never escape from. It looks rather mute and tame by itself, and then it has the body of the Xylo to contend with, to make things worse.

The interior is really spacious, but the dash looks like that of a commercial people carrier and not a lifestyle vehicle. The seats though comfy are really cheap and flat (they do get lumbar support surprisingly). There are also the weird green plastics in places, which add to the cheap feel. And the lesser said about it's driving manners and ride quality, the better.
All this again shows how Mahindra didn't make any real attempt to distinguish it from the Xylo, OR to make the Quanto anywhere closer to an urban compact SUV.

Mahindra should have launched this car with a more aggressive front, bigger and meatier wheels, a better-looking and darker coloured dash than the current beige and brown affair, and additional kit like roof rails (Don't know why they skipped it earlier, roof rails are like a norm for all kinds SUV's), scuff plates, better and fatter seats with those 'flexi-seating' combinations for added practicality, and maybe even a sunroof in the top trim, to better justify the lifestyle aspirations of the Quanto. And I didn't even utter the word '4WD' yet. It would have been more expensive, but it would have made one hell of a package. And I don't see why such a car wouldn't have sold well.

They had a chance to fix things this time, and they did partially fix the front end design and the dynamics, but as GTO said, it was "too little, too late". Now no one's gonna buy a dud seller just because it got a new front end. The interiors are almost the same apart from a few minor changes (I was the one who saw the very first testing mule of the facelift and gave the pics to Autocar, and I can tell the interior is still kind of a letdown from what I could see of that car), and the rear looks don't improve either.

This is one car whose obvious weaknesses far overshadowed it's many hidden strengths. It was only a matter of showcasing it's strengths and cleverly hiding it's weaknesses. But Mahindra, the same company who sold an ancient Bolero in absolute heaps, just by clever positioning and marketing and regular updates, couldn't manage the same with the Quanto. And I'm shocked to hear they raised the prices.

(PS: I don't own a Quanto, nor am I any big fanboy of it 😋, I only said what I felt about it.
Would also like to hear GTO's say on this. He is after all the Boss, and he also tested the original car thoroughly for T-BHP.)
Old 29th April 2015, 11:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Take a monkey to a beauty parlour and empty the entire make-up kit on its face. At the end of the day, it will still be a monkey. M&M can play around with the front end and come with DRL, projector lights, chrome strips, bonnet scoops, new bumpers etc. etc. but nothing can take away from the fact that it is one hell of an ill-proportioned car. Utilitarian, may be. But looker? Naaaw! Changing the proportions/angles means changing the entire body-shell which is as good as making a new car ground up. So, M&M please stop flogging this dead horse and move on. Be content with whatever numbers it is doing and think of coming up with an all-new mini-SUV with smashing proportions and looks to take on Ecosport/Duster.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 16:45   #28
BHPian

Here are some pictures of the same Quanto above I had clicked in the month of February :-

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img_0663.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img_0664.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img_0665.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd May 2015 at 11:37. Reason: Adding watermark
carfreak7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 13:53   #29
BHPian

Saw a test mule on Nashik - Pune highway yesterday evening. The vehicle was heavily camouflaged.

I am not sure whether it was refreshed Quanto (as seen in the spy pics) or a compact version of the Bolero.

The vehicle looked more 'squarish' to me than the above photos. Lastly, the vehicle I saw did NOT appear 'under-tyred'. i.e. the tyres were proportionate to the size of the vehicle (unlike the existing Quanto).
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:16   #30
Team-BHP Support

A little birdie tells us that the Mahindra Quanto might be called the Canto. We already know that the Quanto facelift has been codenamed U215 by the company. A search on import / export website zauba.com reveals that it has imported bumpers for a vehicle called the Canto U215 from South Korea.

Mahindra's subsidiary, SsangYong is based in South Korea. It is clear that most samples and moulds are created there and brought to India.

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-canto.png
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks