Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 10:55   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'd beg to differ. It is indeed too little too late.
I agree with each and every one of your points except your opening statement. I myself had created a thread (my only one so far) where I wrote at length about how bland the new Corolla was, but that was the D segment, which commands more out of a sedan. The C segment is still far from dying off and honestly, tell me what does the Honda City or the Ciaz have to offer that Toyota can't in the Vios? Theres no 6 airbags, esp, traction control etc. it is the same standard 2 airbag abs ebd affair. There's no memory seats with a vast array of adjustments, no exceptionally soft leather and heavy door-thuds, even the tyres are skinny and the car isn't expected to stay planted at high speeds. At most the Ciaz and City have got some snazzy new touchscreen head units with back-up cameras, bluetooth and all the other tidbits. That can easily be replicated.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 14:05   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The C segment is still far from dying off .....
But that's the point I was trying to make. There's only two ways Toyota can make the Vios a worthy competitor in the C-segment. A) follow the recipe and provide a price competitive option with skinny tires, a weak engine and a dressed down interior or B) do a really nice job of it and have it a segment above. The segment above is taken. It could land in a C+ segment?

Either way, they are caught in the middle unless they price it very very aggressively. The folks buying a City/Ciaz won't step up a segment for a car that is just barely more than what these offer. If they enter now, they are going head to head against two headwinds - the industry that's rapidly skewing towards SUVs and competition from entrenched brands (new Verna, continuously updated City and Maruti steroid-powered Ciaz).

My (unsolicited) advice to Toyota - replace the Etios with this but keep it at the same price point. Focus on your Yaris & small SUV program. That's what will get the money flowing in.
Old 28th November 2017, 00:09   #198
BHPian

In the other thread, there is discussion of the Yaris Ativ sedan coming as replacement of Etios, as opposed to Vios. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...os-2020-a.html. Seems likelier, as the Yaris has both sedan and hatch twins now, just like the Etios and Liva it intends to replace.

Anyone has any idea on what (and if)(and when) we are getting? I personally prefer the looks of the Ativ.
Old 28th November 2017, 00:15   #199
BHPian

Vios in Etios' price slot? Please don't give them such ideas ... what will happen to people buying the last few Etioses!

Anyway, giving their history of moving replacement models up the value chain, it may not happen. That is the thing about the Vios ... how close can it get to the Altis in price without cannibalizing it?
Old 28th November 2017, 19:44   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
Vios in Etios' price slot? Please don't give them such ideas ... what will happen to people buying the last few Etioses!

Anyway, giving their history of moving replacement models up the value chain, it may not happen. That is the thing about the Vios ... how close can it get to the Altis in price without cannibalizing it?
I think, the Vios will be priced in the range of 9 to 13 lakhs OTR. There is a huge gap between Etios and Corolla. So, pricing in between is not going to be a challenge. And Corolla Altis doesn't sell well in India anyways. So, no point worrying about something which will not sell in the Indian market and spoil a potential hit. In most markets that Vios competes with the City, it outsells the City. Having said that, India might be a different ball game.
Old 29th November 2017, 07:28   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I think, the Vios will be priced in the range of 9 to 13 lakhs OTR.
That should be where it is; the quality levels (in its current form) is acceptable for its segment and should be a good option to have, provided they don't dilute it in the name of localization or 'Made for India' excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji
And Corolla Altis doesn't sell well in India anyways.
Thats not really true; Corolla is the best seller in its segment. Its another matter that the D1 segment itself is diminishing due to the crossover popularity and the quality options available in the C2 sedan space.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 09:25   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thats not really true; Corolla is the best seller in its segment. Its another matter that the D1 segment itself is diminishing due to the crossover popularity and the quality options available in the C2 sedan space.
As you mentioned, the segment itself is inexistent. Corolla sells 375 per month and Octavia sells 241 per month ( as per last 6 months average sales ). So, there is no point finding out who is the topper there because the topper is also burning cash. Toyota should focus more on the City/Ciaz/Verna segment and then gradually upgrade those customers to the Corolla segment.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 12:01   #203
BHPian

I for one am ecstatic if this does happen. Have been waiting for the Vios to replace my Igen I20 as an upgrade. Having owned toyotas in the past (Corolla, innova) as a part of my fleet) and present, I know how cheap they are to maintain, offer decent reliability too and quality. Hell the corollas before the 2017 model were getting serviced cheaper than my I20! And way up the segment. I would have jumped the gun and bought the etios if they had not offered the spartan interiors. Was considering the 2017 ecosport, but if this is coming, move away verna and city (not even considering the ciaz), Vios all the way!
akp666 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 15:14   #204
BHPian

The new Vios has been launched in Singapore, which is essentially the Yaris Ativ with different engine. Will be good if this version can make its way to our shores.
https://www.carlist.my/news/all-new-...ngapore/48775/
Caffeinated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 11:53   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

The India-bound Toyota Vios has scored 5 stars in the latest round of ASEAN NCAP crash tests.

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-1.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-2.jpg

Full Report
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 12:54   #206
mxh
BHPian

They tested the Singapore version car and as we have seen in other cars the results are invariably completely different for the version launched in India.
mxh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 09:52   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
They tested the Singapore version car and as we have seen in other cars the results are invariably completely different for the version launched in India.
Yes, this is the case with most other manufacturers. But, with Toyota, the Etios manufactured for India and the outside market got the same safety rating ( 4 stars ). Even if you go through the fine details of the test, it looks exactly the same for the Indian version as well as the version built for other countries.

I would bet on Toyota to keep the same standards for the Vios as well when it's released in India.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 10:12   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
As mentioned above, knowing Toyota they would rather price the product obscenely than skimp on build quality between countries.

Quote:
I would bet on Toyota to keep the same standards for the Vios as well when it's released in India.
The build quality would definitely be the same. While it would be a segment first to offer the Vios with 7 airbags as standard, I am sure that will not happen.

But going by the current trend on safety features of major Toyota models. What may happen is the base until one below the top trim will get 3 airbags(driver, passenger and knee) like the crysta and the top spec will have the 7 airbags. But I hope I am proven wrong !
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 13:46   #209
Senior - BHPian

With top spec Honda city ZX petrol selling at 16L OTR here in bangalore, Toyota has enough room to play with. I surely feel they will price this car at a premium when compared to Ciaz but more inline with City(which itself is bit overpriced)

The C segment has not grown much in india but sales seem to be around 15K per month with City+Ciaz +Verna(new) making up for most of these sales.

I had a look at the new Verna and came back disappointed with its interior space. This could be reason why Ciaz and City will continue to sell well and Vios if priced well can eat into the shares of City and Ciaz.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:34   #210
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is the case with most other manufacturers. But, with Toyota, the Etios manufactured for India and the outside market got the same safety rating ( 4 stars ). Even if you go through the fine details of the test, it looks exactly the same for the Indian version as well as the version built for other countries.

I wonder what are these fine details that you are tallying with the Indian version? As there exists no Indian version I am confused by your statement. It has been seen again and again that Indian cars are built to different safety standards than the international counterparts. I will believe these ratings once the official test results are out for the Indian version.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks