Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2017, 11:52   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Any information on whether this is going to be the current gen model sold in Thailand or the next gen which as per some rumors is under development?
Unclear yet.

The version scheduled to launch on January 23rd in Thailand is the facelift (MinorChange) of the current-gen Vios, not the next-gen. It is scheduled to get improved exterior looks and some feature updates.

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-15895265_1157818064273056_5419836400908744718_n.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-15940695_1157817937606402_4584835345427464018_n.jpg

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-15940644_1157818497606346_1569596257814026689_n.jpg
(Source)

Things will become more clear after the official Vios MC launch, I suppose.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 15:04   #152
Senior - BHPian

Real wasted opportunity thus far by Toyota India. The Vios should have been here 5 years back. I think they will bring in the mildly facelifted one and not the next generation model in India. They have been testing it for a while and i don't foresee a new generation model for at least 1 more year if Thailand is getting a facelift in Jan, 2017 !
Old 17th January 2017, 12:08   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
March 2018 or March 2017. If 2018, 15 months is too long and too late once again.
March 2018 is the update that i got from concrete sources . I know its lengthy time but with Toyota's fondness for quality check and rigorous testing needs for each market I would not be surprised if its March 2018
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:10   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated Vios launches in Thailand.
-2NR-FBE 1.5 liter, 1496 cc.four in-line cylinders DOHC 16-valve Dual VVT-i provides maximum power of 108 hp at 6,000 rev / min torque of 140 Nm at4 200 r / min. paired with the automatic transmission, CVT.

Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-16.jpg
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-11.jpg
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-13.jpg
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-12.jpg
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-14.jpg
Scoop! Toyota Vios caught testing in Bangalore Edit: it's the Yaris Ativ-15.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:16   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Updated Vios launches in Thailand.
-2NR-FBE 1.5 liter, 1496 cc.four in-line cylinders DOHC 16-valve Dual VVT-i provides maximum power of 108 hp at 6,000 rev / min torque of 140 Nm at4 200 r / min. paired with the automatic transmission, CVT.

Link
I guess, based on above discussions, India has no plans of launching this. Looks beefy and Corolla'ish. Would have been nice to have this available in India too.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 12:43   #156
BHPian

Just came across an article on NDTV Car and Bike, which claims Toyota will showcase the Vios in India during Auto Expo 2018 followed by a launch in April 2018. As per the article, India will get the 2017 face-lifted Vios, which is currently on sale in Thailand and other markets.

Quoting some more information from the article:

Quote:
"The Vios will likely get ABS with EBD, traction control, ISOFIX mounts for child seats and dual airbags as standard. The top variants could boast brake assist and ESP. The Vios sold in Thailand has a 1.5 litre petrol engine that makes 106 bhp and 140 Nm of peak torque. In that market it gets just Toyota's new 7-Speed 'Super-CVT'. But in other markets there is a 5-Speed manual too. India is likely to get both transmission options. The Vios is not a diesel model in other markets but for India expect it to share the 1.4 litre oil-burner that powers the diesel avatars of the Etios and Corolla."

Link
red.devil_19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 15:46   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Quoting some more information from the article:
I seriously feel Toyota needs a new diesel heart for the Corolla. The current 1.4L simply doesn't cut it as a premium offering. Now with the Vios launch, we will have the same engine doing duty right from a 8L rupee car till a 16L rupee sedan. Can they not develop a downsized version of the 2.4L heart of the Innova at least?

If the Vios wants to compete with the likes of the Honda City and the Verna, then they will need equally powerful petrol and Diesel offering. I am not even comparing the 1.3L in the Ciaz D which I feel is just adequate for a car of this size.
racer_ash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 16:03   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I seriously feel Toyota needs a new diesel heart for the Corolla. The current 1.4L simply doesn't cut it as a premium offering. Now with the Vios launch, we will have the same engine doing duty right from a 8L rupee car till a 16L rupee sedan. Can they not develop a downsized version of the 2.4L heart of the Innova at least?

If the Vios wants to compete with the likes of the Honda City and the Verna, then they will need equally powerful petrol and Diesel offering. I am not even comparing the 1.3L in the Ciaz D which I feel is just adequate for a car of this size.
The corolla comes with the same 1.4 diesel in other markets also. It is a reliable work horse. Just that the power it makes, is too little for something that cost 20 big ones.
The 1.4 unit with 88 horses should okay in the vios though.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 18:11   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
As per the article, India will get the 2017 face-lifted Vios, which is currently on sale in Thailand and other markets.
The current 3rd Generation Vios, if I am not wrong, was launched in 2013. The 2nd generation was launched in 2007. I only hope that Toyota does not bring 5 year old model to India but instead bring directly the next generation Vios in 2018. There were some rumors that it is under development and inputs were taken from Indian subsidiary.
Old 14th March 2017, 18:17   #160
Senior - BHPian

Toyota take their own sweet time to do anything. This is a smart move, but the Vios is near the end for the current generation.

Quote:
I seriously feel Toyota needs a new diesel heart for the Corolla. .....Can they not develop a downsized version of the 2.4L heart of the Innova at least?
Diesel engines are losing favour quickly. Hybrids will replace them in a couple of years.

The 2.4 of the Innova is designed for a longitudinal mounding for body-on-frame diesels. It can't be used for the Corolla. Modifying the engine for one particular market is simply not worth it.

Quote:
If the Vios wants to compete with the likes of the Honda City and the Verna, then they will need equally powerful petrol and Diesel offering. .
I'm sure Toyota isn't too worried about the diesel version now. I hope we get the updated 1.5 petrol with VVT and not the one used with the Etios.
landcruiser123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 18:47   #161
Team-BHP Support

Is the 2NR-FBE 1.5 Petrol an all-new engine, or an update of the the 2NR-FE in the Etios?

The existing 1.5 Petrol is a gem so if the FBE is an updated spec, I hope they've retained the FTD quotient.
Old 14th March 2017, 21:51   #162
Senior - BHPian

Cmon Toyota get the Vios to India NOW !!
Its not Tesla's model X that you are making us wait for !
By the time you bring the Vios to India, the next generation Vios would be 6 months away from launch in Thailand & Malaysia.

Unless Toyota is pulling a surprise by bringing in the next generation Vios (not launched till date), i don't get their strategy !!
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 22:32   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Toyota take their own sweet time to do anything. This is a smart move, but the Vios is near the end for the current generation.
Well said. I did mention here that this car is not likely to arrive here in India.

This generation of Vios has very little chance of touching down on Indian soil. Usual lifetime of Vios has been traditionally 6 years, and the current generation of Vios is nearing its end of lifecycle. Even if Toyota decides to bring this car here now, it will take some reasonable time and by that time, a new generation will be already out, and it wont make sense to make an old generation car here.

Even if next generation were to arrive in India as soon as 2018, we haven't come across any spyshots till now. While it could be true that Vios has high probability of being brought up for display at Auto Expo 2018 (helped by an ageing Etios which would be around 7 years since its debut by that time), I wonder if it would be next generation or the current one.

In any case, Vios is still quite a while away.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th March 2017 at 22:35.
Old 14th March 2017, 23:07   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The corolla comes with the same 1.4 diesel in other markets also. It is a reliable work horse. Just that the power it makes, is too little for something that cost 20 big ones.
Agreed.
But in many of those markets Corolla is a C-segment sedan.
I think that is exactly what racer_ash was trying to say.
That engine is ok for Vios, but it is a misfit for Corolla in India, considering the segment in which it is placed.

Isn't it a bit awkward for a 20 Lakh D-segment sedan to have such a puny engine, which can be found under the hood of even the B-segment Etios Liva hatchback?

That the engine is a reliable work horse and all is a different matter.But that excuse doesn't cut it here.
Most manufacturers have one or more such legendary engines that they use in many successful models.
But they should be plonked in cars that befit its intended segment.
They should atleast check what the competition offers, and then offer something similar.

Imagine, if Chevrolet had offered Cruze with the Sail sedan's 1.3 diesel engine only, how many units they would have managed to sell?

Toyota thinks that just because they are Toyota, they can get away with anything in India.
Die-hard Toyota fans won't agree.
But then again, it is these die-hard fans themselves, who prevent Toyota from re-thinking this stubborn attitude, by giving them huge sales month after month.

When they are able to outsell others with the least powerful engine in the segment, why should they ever offer something better?

Let us hope that atleast this time, this Vios is a worthy competitor to the City, both in features and price.
Not just another stripped down "specially made for India" version like the Etios.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 11:44   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Can they not develop a downsized version of the 2.4L heart of the Innova at least?
Toyota Globally doesn't make Diesel powertrains for Sedans, its mainly Gasoline or Hybrids.

Using / Altering an engine made for utility vehicles like Innova doesnt really help as their spec doesnt suit a sedan body type.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks