Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2018, 21:42   #166
BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks Crossover. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.55 lakhs

I do have a question. If the platform is different from the original kicks and panels will be different. What's the need to copy a design. Couldn't they start from a clean slate. Just a doubt.
Old 18th October 2018, 21:51   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
What's the need to copy a design. Couldn't they start from a clean slate. Just a doubt.
1) Calls for additional cost in design, development, validation
2) Market specific 'New design' doesn't make any sense (at least for a brand like Nissan with smaller footprint in country like India)
3) All these efforts (in designing new upper body) can be invested for next global launch
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 08:54   #168
BHPian

Based on what I understand, the only thing Nissan hasn't done YET is pass on international 'kicks' safety and awards pedigree to the Indian model , otherwise this is another Captur vs Kaptur scenario unfolding, IMHO.
Also, as title suggests , this is not going to be an ecosport competition if it's priced above captur?
Old 19th October 2018, 12:09   #169
BHPian

Well we did hear about updated blue dci 1.5 a little while ago. The 'updated' engine is said to be be more cleaner and powerful.

The lower state now churns out 95ps/240nm against 85ps/200nm earlier.
The higher state now churns out 115ps/260nm against 110ps/245nm.

Any news if these newer/updated tunes will find their way to the India spec Kicks?
Old 19th October 2018, 13:52   #170

Look at Nissan Kicks as a Terrano replacement. That's where it fits into their portfolio. Unfortunately Terrano never took off. It's practically the same engine as Terrano or Duster. You can almost call it a Terrano. So it is not a new platform. The Hero feature seems to be it's Around View Monitor (will it be a big deal?). The overall look has improved. But it's the same Nissan which hasn't been able to make a mark in India after being in the country for so many years.

The car consumers look forward to a company's commitment to the country. With hardly any models in India and an almost defunct dealership network, Nissan shows no promise on its commitment to India. Don't we all know friends who are stuck with Nissan's poor dealership and ever poorer service horrors. It will remain a high risk to buy a Nissan.
arunshaunik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 14:50   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunshaunik View Post
Look at Nissan Kicks as a Terrano replacement. That's where it fits into their portfolio. Unfortunately Terrano never took off. It's practically the same engine as Terrano or Duster. You can almost call it a Terrano. So it is not a new platform.

The car consumers look forward to a company's commitment to the country. With hardly any models in India and an almost defunct dealership network, Nissan shows no promise on its commitment to India.

True. Nissan seems to think that the price they are targeting for the Kicks can only be achieved if they rebadge the Terrano.

They could have brought it in the new platform present internationally. For the consumer, it means car is built to a higher standard.
Old 19th October 2018, 15:49   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayram.r View Post
They could have brought it in the new platform present internationally.
In case if you had missed the previous reply, have a look again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I don't know when we will understand this and stop crying about the new platform until we have hands on experience in comparing the performance back to back. Are we ready to over pay if the vehicle is launched with a all new platform but inferior performance than the so called outdated M0 platform?
Quote:
For the consumer, it means car is built to a higher standard.
Could you elaborate, at least this statement?
Old 19th October 2018, 16:39   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
In case if you had missed the previous reply, have a look again.

Could you elaborate, at least this statement?
Fair point sir. No one is suggesting drop in performance or features. We want the good looking Kicks to succeed & not languish like the Capture.
Old 19th October 2018, 19:13   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI's First Look Video,

volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 21:41   #175
BHPian

The Kicks looks good at first look. Obviously need to know more about the interiors and feature list before commenting further.

I can say one thing for sure. This will have excellent ride quality, suspension set-up, decent space inside and the well known K9K engine is an absolute gem!

Will the Kicks kick its rivals or be kicked?
Old 19th October 2018, 22:52   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fair point sir. No one is suggesting drop in performance or features. We want the good looking Kicks to succeed & not languish like the Capture.
I fail to understand where does the necessity of all new platform came here.
Good looking - irrespective of new or old platform the styling remains the same
Performance - no solid data to prove the M0 is inferior
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 23:20   #177
Senior - BHPian

This car is looking more and more promising.
Actually, I am planning to buy a mid-sized SUV next year and Kicks was never in my consideration but now I am interested. It seems Nissan has done plenty of homework about this segment and they are talking of several segment first features and premium interiors which is again supposed to be a segment benchmark.
Given the diesel engine is outdated but its still a proven workhorse.
I guess many of us here including me underestimated the Kicks!!
Old 20th October 2018, 11:46   #178
BHPian

Nissan working on compact SUV to take on Ford EcoSport. Update: Named Kicks

Sad to note that CVT or AMT would not be available at launch for kicks which is a big miss in this segment. Captur did the same mistake and it looks like all others are doing the same (including Harrier I believe). Its the same engine, platform as duster and so how difficult would it be to launch with the automatic gear box? I think Nissan missed a trick here and would cost them a lot. I now will wait for Kia who hopefully dont do the same mistake
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 12:06   #179
BHPian

The comments from Thomas Kuehl are encouraging. I hope it doesn't end up being just marketing speak and empty words like his Renault counterpart.
Old 21st October 2018, 12:35   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

This appears to be too little too late for Nissan. I honestly don't know if Kicks is going to do anything for them being a half hearted attempt to sqeeze out some more life from the badge engineered Terrano.

Inspite of having some of the most iconic SUVs in their portfolio they are happy dragging their feet around. They have a huge problem with continuity in our market. Every few years they launch a good product and then disappear! Given how SUV crazed our country is, I wonder why they don't bring in their established models. With a choice of good products, I feel people would definitely bet on them. Indians don't necessarily want the 'cheapest' car anymore. We want our money's worth more than anything. But before the people trust them, they would have to show the country they are serious about this market and are here for the long haul. They would have to invest in showrooms and service centers. Something where they are in cost saving mode currently.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks