Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy spares and parts online?
Yes – Only for routine services 45 10.39%
Yes – For routine services + replacements 338 78.06%
No 50 11.55%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 17:57   #31
BANNED

Re: Would you buy Spares & Parts online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Furthermore, apart from warranty, to take things one step further, if there was some sort of assurance that the parts were original, like having the car companies tie up here as well, it would be a boon. Could be scope for the car companies to add some revenue while for customers, it would be quality assurance.

Agreed. If price difference isnt much, then one would definitely still prefer going the ASC route. But here you also need to add to the equation, their labour charges & also the various dupe schemes some of them run.
Labour charges are steep, I agree but the schemes to dupe/loot customers by adding silly treatments on the job card still hold the last "call" by the customer. If he is strong and does put his foot down demanding for the jobs to be carried out as per manual then things should be fine IMO.

If parts were sold online with some kind of collaboration with manufacturers so that duplicate parts is prevented, I am dead sure the ASC's will go bankrupt as not many would turn up except for the ones under warranty.
Old 13th April 2015, 18:03   #32
SDP
Team-BHP Support

A good concept, but I believe it needs to be brainstormed further.
Sorry, I haven't read through the comments after the opening post. So please excuse if I end up repeating something that is already said.

1. There are "genuine parts" and then there are "<Car manufacturer name> Genuine Parts". There is a sizable price difference between the two. e.g. Once I bought a brake master cylinder for my Alto from "Maruti Genuine Parts". It costed me some x amount. The particular part is manufactured by TVS and was available in another shop. It was branded as "TVS" and not "MGP" and costed about 50% less. I was told that the premium I paid for the MGP was because of stricter quality control that Maruti enforces at its entry gate. Not sure to what extent it is true, but I believe its a false claim. Once the part is out of its MGP plastic cover, it looks exactly same as the ancillary vendor part. So multiple questions here. Should the online offer both options (with adequate disclaimers)? When you buy a MGP part from a brick and mortar shop, you know its genuine. In online model, how to guarantee that there is no counterfeiting of wrappers by a seller and thereby charging premium for the same part?

2. If I need engine oil, oil filter, air filter for a 40K service, I can buy that beforehand online and then go for the service at the fng. Online model works perfectly. What happens in case of a repair job or something unexpected that pops up during the routine maintenance visit? e.g. I visit the fng for a 40K service and the guy says "Sir, your accessories belt has developed cracks and might break in near future. I would suggest changing it now.". You can't really order it online and expect it be delivered in next 30-45 minutes. Actually you can, but then the cost effectiveness of the service would come under a question mark. Also you cant afford to tell him "Finish everything else. I will come back tomorrow with the accessories belt". Visiting twice would be a huge waste of time. Another example from the repair scenario: I go to the fng because there is weird noise from the suspension. It might just be a loose nut. Or it might be a tie-rod end or a ball-joint that has gone kaput. But I won't know that till the mechanic does the diagnosis. After the diagnosis, he tells "tie rod gone. Leave the vehicle for 2 hours. I would get it from the shop and fix it.". Again it would be weird to tell him "Let me order the part online and I will hopefully come back after 3 days as soon as I get the part.". Please excuse the dramatics, just trying to explain the point.

3. Cars which are not sold in good numbers (including expensive ones and market duds both), out of production models and parts which are not regular running items. Yes, the online model would work beautifully for those scenarios.

Last edited by SDP : 13th April 2015 at 18:05.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 18:20   #33

I vote Yes. I have already purchased quite a number of items online including routine service parts (filters, wiper blades) as well as replacement of parts damaged due to accidents or wear and tear (wheel arch cover, bumper) and accessories (mud flaps, badges).

Primary reason being spares not available over the counter at authorised dealerships and their tendency to charge high. I was charged Rs.75 for an ORVM glass replacement and Rs.275 for fixing it, a process that took less than 30 seconds for the SA.
PAWS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 19:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

I voted Yes but again i would have my apprehensions unless it is backed by some amount of 'buyer protection'.

Usual routine service stuff would be fine like fluids, filters etc. Major stuff like clutch or suspension replacement would be difficult to trust since there are lot of duplicates floating around in the market with the so called 'genuine' logo on it.

And there should definitely be a good database to cover the parts number properly else it might lead to buying an old part for a new model which wont fit and returns wont be easy since you have already tried fitting it and 'used' it in the process.

Just my opinions.

Cheers,
Raj...
Old 14th April 2015, 12:15   #35
BHPian

OK, most would buy parts online if :
  1. Assured of the quality of the part (manufacturer stands by its product) - buyer protection!
  2. No warranty issues with the manufacturer of the vehicle for using an equivalent or better part
  3. ASC / FNG will fix any problem arising after repairs but not caused by the part
  4. Significant difference in price for part with equivalent or better quality
  5. List of required parts is known beforehand
May be it is time to go to the next step and

A) List the parts that are (almost) DIY, but we prefer to get it done by the ASC/FNG anyway that we would like to buy online

1. Engine Oil
2. Oil Filter
3. Air Filter
4. Cabin Filter
5. Wiper Blades
6. Tyres
7. Spark Plugs
8. <More...>

B) Next make a list of reliable online suppliers:
  1. Amazon.in <Amazon fulfilled>
  2. 99rpm
  3. http://spareshub.com/
  4. <Others...>
C) Make a citywise list of FNG / ASC that will cooperate by specifying what to buy

D) Rating system for
  1. Manufacturer of part
  2. Vehicle manufacturer (wrt using equivalent parts)
  3. Seller
  4. FNG/ASC
on all aspects of using the online parts - quality, warranty, service,...

This database will help us decide on buying online parts better.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 20:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant thread cartman, I really hope someone reading this starts an e-store for car replacement parts in India.
I have voted Yes for both, routine services and replacement parts.

Living in America since the last two years has introduced me to this wonderful concept and also broadened my idea on it.
OEM parts are available for both the Europeans like the Benz's, Audi's, BMW's, JLR's and the Japs like the Honda's, Toyota's for so much cheaper online here compared to those available at the service centers in India. Free availability online and over the counter part sales at dealerships make life even easier.

Often comparing prices of the same part in India at the service center and online in America just show me how we are getting robbed off and still not being able to do anything about it.

Whatever e-websites are in India right now related to cars are only for crappy quality car accessories. So a quality car accessory availability online would be a bonus for the Indian consumer too. I think the biggest challenge for a e-setup for car parts like this for the Indian consumer would be the following:

1) Finding a proper garage with the right tools for such jobs and a proper mechanic with adequate knowledge to work on the Europeans. With the Japs, I am sure most of them are pretty much used to them. Coming from Calcutta, unfortunately, we do not have anyone with excellent knowledge, skill and equipment to handle the high end expensive cars the way Bombay has garages like Toyato Tech. This is a challenge which can still be overcome with some effort.

2) The biggest challenge one would be facing would be getting the warranty still honored by the manufactures. I really doubt if they will still honor warranty on a car if they come to know that the car has been worked on with OEM parts but worked on at a non OEM garage. I think getting authorized garage licenses would be the only way out in this.

I really hope something like this works out and gets available to the India consumer soon.

Last edited by cityvic : 14th April 2015 at 20:15.
cityvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 22:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Cars which are not sold in good numbers (including expensive ones and market duds both), out of production models and parts which are not regular running items. Yes, the online model would work beautifully for those scenarios.
Not entirely sure about this bit, SDP. It won't really make sense for any store to keep stock of items that'll barely sell, will it? I believe, in such a scenario a 'provision-on-request' kind of system needs to be in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Whatever e-websites are in India right now related to cars are only for crappy quality car accessories. So a quality car accessory availability online would be a bonus for the Indian consumer too.
I agree cityvic. A close friend got a simple mobile-phone holder with a suction cup mount. It broke while he tried putting his phone in for trying it out.

Quote:
1) Finding a proper garage with the right tools for such jobs and a proper mechanic with adequate knowledge to work on the Europeans. With the Japs, I am sure most of them are pretty much used to them. Coming from Calcutta, unfortunately, we do not have anyone with excellent knowledge, skill and equipment to handle the high end expensive cars the way Bombay has garages like Toyato Tech. This is a challenge which can still be overcome with some effort.
True. The Korean and Japanese brands can be dealt with without fuss; but then, the original spares for these brands are available over the counter. Also, more than skill and equipment, I think it's either the lack of knowledge or unwillingness to take a calculated risk that deters workshops with the best of facilities to cater to the owners of the high end cars.

Quote:
2) The biggest challenge one would be facing would be getting the warranty still honored by the manufactures.
I highly doubt this too. After hearing ridiculous experiences wherein something as simple as a horn or an led bulb can be pointed out as a reason for refusal of warranty, I dread to think what hell would break lose if THEY found out YOU changed a part on YOUR car.

Cheers!
Cartman
Cartman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 03:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS View Post
I vote Yes. I have already purchased quite a number of items online including routine service parts (filters, wiper blades) as well as replacement of parts damaged due to accidents or wear and tear (wheel arch cover, bumper) and accessories (mud flaps, badges).

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I have and would definitely continue to do so
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Sure, its cheaper online especially from websites which have free returns and money back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Yes, I do shop for spares through online sites.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Can you guys share a bit more detailed information as to which sites, suppliers etc. that you prefer getting the spares from.
It could help a lot of the prospective buyers.
Old 15th April 2015, 03:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I highly doubt this too. After hearing ridiculous experiences wherein something as simple as a horn or an led bulb can be pointed out as a reason for refusal of warranty, I dread to think what hell would break lose if THEY found out YOU changed a part on YOUR car.
Haha, yes definitely.

Another few points which I forgot to add in my first post.

- A feature on the website where one can key in their car's VIN number and get access to to the exact parts which would fit his/her car would make things even more easier. That way one will be assured that they would not be ordering incorrect parts for their cars.

- Instruction manual and workshop manual to be available on the website for each car. This would be so that one can be guided on how to install the part themselves or teach the mechanic how to do it or even stand by him to check if the right procedure is being followed as per the manufacturers guidelines.

- Warranty on parts would be lovely.

- Various kinds of delivery options should be offered from 5-7 business days to next day delivery with tracking. Incase a part is not in stock, I think a maximum of 10 working days to arrange it for you from any part of the world.

Last edited by cityvic : 15th April 2015 at 03:50.
Old 15th April 2015, 10:03   #40
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not entirely sure about this bit, SDP. It won't really make sense for any store to keep stock of items that'll barely sell, will it? I believe, in such a scenario a 'provision-on-request' kind of system needs to be in place.
I think we two are envisioning two different types of online models. The online you are referring to seems to be a standalone shop which has gone online. The online I am referring to is more like a marketplace where multiple sellers are selling under a single umbrella like Amazon or Ebay.
Old 15th April 2015, 11:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Can you guys share a bit more detailed information as to which sites, suppliers etc. that you prefer getting the spares from.
It could help a lot of the prospective buyers.
Check this out:
http://www.amazon.in/b?ie=UTF8&node=5257475031
You will find the details of vendors who are selling, but choose the option "fulfilled by amazon" while checkout as it will be amazon's liability to return your money. But you got to return it within 30 day of purchase (just go through their process). Also look for the vendor ratings and reviews before placing the order. If the ratings are high for a specific vendor, then you may consider buying it.

Cheers !
spoth001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 11:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The online I am referring to is more like a marketplace where multiple sellers are selling under a single umbrella like Amazon or Ebay.
True. Although the marketplace is a brilliant model of operation and ensures equal opportunity to everyone who wishes to participate, I think just adds confusion at the customer end.

The scenario you mentioned (TVS v/s Maruti branded parts) would simply carry over to the e-store and you'd still be as confused.

Cheers!
Cartman
Old 15th April 2015, 21:44   #43
BHPian

I have been using online sites for various requirements of cars. My cars don't visit workshop for general as well as critical repairs. Over the fast few years I have successfully maintained my cars at my own facility, where all cars ( skoda vrs, E46, VTEC, Accent, Fiat, Civic) are decently maintained( once again according to me) with OE parts or better parts available in the market. For me oil change and any kind of filter changes are DIY and for brake pad, strut replacements, belt changes are carried out by team of trusted mechanics who carries out the work infront of me. It saves my time and the hassles of visiting workshop. Few of cars are driven more than 1 lac kms and till date I haven't faced major issues in carrying out repair or maintenance.

I strongly support online sites and till date I have not received any spurious parts. I regularly use amazon.com, ebay.com/ ebay.co.uk, spareshub, europarts for my cars. I have helped many of my friends who are also in love with the way I maintain my cars.
dip27in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 21:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip27in View Post
I strongly support online sites and till date I have not received any spurious parts. I regularly use amazon.com, ebay.com/ ebay.co.uk, spareshub, europarts for my cars. I have helped many of my friends who are also in love with the way I maintain my cars.

That is good to know. The DIY repair culture needs to gather steam in India. Working on your own car is oddly fulfilling.

PS: How do you verify that the part you've received is spurious or counterfeit? Is it only because of the seal on it - or something else?

Cheers!
Cartman
Old 19th April 2015, 21:38   #45
BANNED

Quote:

PS: How do you verify that the part you've received is spurious or counterfeit? Is it only because of the seal on it - or something else
Mostly would be on the website reputation and general feedback that is seen/read before a part is ordered.

Like Amazon has the "a fulfilled" that does put in some kind of faith that it'll be genuine and not spurious.

I am yet to order critical parts online but the rest like wipers, build etc are coming good till now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks