Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2015, 19:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

No need then for improved brakes with discs all around, no need for ESC with ASR & EDL, comprehensive air bag package including those for knees and thorax.

Just the Sun roof to let the 40+ degree Sun in and for us to stick our necks out and catch the collective spitnpuke flying across from assorted vehicles zig zagging all over the place.
khoj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 19:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

VW should first get this engine on the Jetta. With a manual GB and 320nm of torque, it will be hot!

Even with sports suspension and all round disk brakes, I doubt if the chassis of Polo can handle this kind of power. Even if it does, Polo is a shade smaller for somebody to pay above 12L. IMHO, 1.4L would be enough even for a GTI.

Golf priced around 20L will be interesting..
Old 26th July 2015, 19:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Polo GTi is already sold in more mature markets, intact an even more powerful version is also sold as 'Type R'

Golf would have been very nice but who in this market will spend money on Golf when the paying customers are happy with the Sun Roof, Beige upholstery & Chrome every where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I doubt if the chassis of Polo can handle this kind of power. Even if it does, Polo is a shade smaller for somebody to pay above 12L. IMHO, 1.4L would be enough even for a GTI.

Golf priced around 20L will be interesting..
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 21:47   #19
BHPian

Listen up VW, you better be taking notes because true blue enthusiasts have contributed valuable insight on this thread.

First, get rid of that greenhouse-like sunroof that you have on your global model, to save our sunburnt souls from this vast dessert that we call India.

Next, potential customers that may be excited by a sunroof would also automatically love beige interiors & chrome, since their love of cars is merely skin deep. Ignore this demographic since they are not gti-worthy.

Finally, satisfy the true ethusiasts, by providing additional airbags to protect their snobbish noses. Also, do consider deploying auto puke-sensing detection systems in the car, since the car is likely to be driven by faux enthusiasts that don't appreciate the importance of state-of-the-art braking systems.
ashwin489 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 22:12   #20
BHPian

Firstly, I have been a big fan of the 1.8T engine. Primarily this has seen duty in many good cars (Audi TT, A4, Skoda Octavia, Seats to name a few)

I had read a review when the first Skoda Octavia was launched with this engine and many people had said that this engine was more powerful because of its efficiency and not by virtue of burning more fuel. It is a 5 valve per cylinder engine.

Then i had the opportunity to drive a mad Octavia with over 300 horses. Came back smiling from ear to ear.

If VW brings the Polo with this 1.8T gem them I am sure there are many others who know the capabilities of the engine. Also mated to the 7 speed DSG this will be nothing short of phenomenal.

We can all only hope that VW is listening and will launch this.
Old 26th July 2015, 22:17   #21
MSC
BHPian

My wishes regarding GTI.
1. Please VW keep in a thought for people like me who still love the old school manual gearbox. So please no compulsory DSG box. You can give DSG but please a manual box too.
2. Improve dealer and service network in smaller states as well. There is no VW service or sales dealer in Himachal Pradesh. Nearest service station is 320 kms from me which indirectly keeps me away from VW.
3. No CBU route please. In a CBU form it will cross almost 15 or 16 lakhs on road.
4. Improvement in existing service stations.
Old 26th July 2015, 22:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
1. Please VW keep in a thought for people like me who still love the old school manual gearbox.
So please no compulsory DSG box.
You can give DSG but please a manual box too.
Amazing news for the enthusiast !
This is really the car which this Ad is all about :

Really hoping the manual is an option, since the manual versions get 320 Nm while the DSGs get only 250 Nm.
May be the mods could add a small poll - it would be interesting to know what the Indian "enthusiast" is willing to pay for a true "hot" hatch.

Last edited by im_srini : 26th July 2015 at 22:36.
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 00:10   #23
BHPian

If VW brings in the 1.8 Tsi engine to India, my award for the most improved car would certainly go to the Polo. Considering how a pocket rocket with such a wonderful chassis started with 2 puny engines in India, I was initially rather disappointed by VW's half hearted attempt. But now, with the new diesel engine and the GT, things have changed drastically.

I bought my Laura for under 15 lakh, with the same 1.8 Tsi engine in a different tune though. If VW prices the Polo GTi for under 15 lakh, it'll have a definite winner in its hands.

I hope VW doesn't ruin this car by offering it for more than 15 lakh. Firstly, offering a manual would help achieve this goal. Then, assembling the car here would make it much cheaper.

This car is compared to the Mini Cooper S world over. That car costs a mindblowing 35 lakh in India. If VW plans to go the same way, I'd be very disappointed.

Mercedes and BMW offering their hatchbacks with puny engines in India need to beware. Its high time that we are not provided step motherly treatment by global companies.

We need more global, high quality products in India rather than cheap products designed for developing nations.

VW, Ford, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota need to get cars like the Golf, Fiesta hatchback, i30, i40, Civic, Yaris, Auris etc.

Indian market is maturing and now is the time for the companies to experiment with higher quality international products.

Kudos to Maruti for understanding this, and bringing out the S-Cross. Just eagerly waiting for the prices.

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 27th July 2015 at 00:12.
Old 27th July 2015, 03:41   #24
BHPian

I wouldn't be surprised if the price is a tad lesser than the currently selling 1.8 TSI Octavia.
Expecting it to be in 12-14L range might get disappointing later on. Maybe they want to see the response from enthusiasts all over India before pricing this beast, hence the runabouts are being done so boldly!
Old 27th July 2015, 05:37   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
This car is compared to the Mini Cooper S world over. That car costs a mindblowing 35 lakh in India. If VW plans to go the same way, I'd be very disappointed.
Would not the more natural comparison to the Mini Cooper S, be the Golf GTi?
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 05:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
Listen up VW, you better be taking notes because true blue enthusiasts have contributed valuable insight on this thread.

First, get rid of that greenhouse-like sunroof that you have on your global model, to save our sunburnt souls from this vast dessert that we call India.

Next, potential customers that may be excited by a sunroof would also automatically love beige interiors & chrome, since their love of cars is merely skin deep. Ignore this demographic since they are not gti-worthy.

Finally, satisfy the true ethusiasts, by providing additional airbags to protect their snobbish noses. Also, do consider deploying auto puke-sensing detection systems in the car, since the car is likely to be driven by faux enthusiasts that don't appreciate the importance of state-of-the-art braking systems.

Wow! Haha. Judge us a bit slowly, mate.

While I'd prefer an open wheel daily driver, it's practically not feasible.

I'd love a sun roof on a hot hatch. What's not to like in a city like Bangalore where it would be the best drive ever with the sun roof open and hearing the engine sound as we cruise on NICE road. Maybe, I am selfish.

Love the idea of the anti-puke sensors. Would apply for both enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts.

On topic, would all that power be usable in a fwd car? I really hope a LSD gets added.
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 09:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

VW should remove the "features" from the Polo GTI and give the basics along with the manual transmission to keep the price under check.

There should be full option for the people who are fans of the "features".

There is only one thing that can kill it, PRICE!
Old 27th July 2015, 10:49   #28
BHPian

Before anyone throttle me,
1.4 tsi or 1.6 tdi in a higher tune or 2.0 tdi would be the best option for polo gti in India if it had to be priced in the range of 12- 15 lakhs.
As someone already pointed out ,there are only a handful of people (read= enthusiast ) who are unmindful of efficiency and maintanence costs and yearn for pure driving pleasure.

A sub 15 lakh hatch is rightfully a mass market car (going by the way how car market matured in India at this juncture ) and that means VFM tag + FE + decent safety and performance kits is the rule to make it a success.
Polo gti in no way going to compete with Mini Cooper or German trios hatch / small car offering to enable it to be niche product.

So skipping diesel heart and the adequate 1.4 tsi means pricing above 15 lakhs and has high chances of being market dud. 1.8 tsi and the Passat -tune 2.0 tdi should be saved for the golf if at all it is going to be launched here as niche product.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
This may well be a test mule actually. 1.8 TSI on a Polo!! I wish they bring this combo with Golf. This engine will surely cost above 13-14L. I think it's hard to find a buyer in India who will buy Polo for 14L which is also available at 6L albeit smaller engine.
+1.

Golf will not only open the door for an untouched segment in India, it will also be a great upgrade option for existing Polo drivers who want to stick with hatchback form while upgrading but left with no wise choice other than big sedans like Jetta, Octavia etc.

But I feel its neither a Polo GTI nor a Golf, it looks more like a testing of 1.8 TSI engine in the body of Polo which will be used in some other VAG car later, maybe in Jetta.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 27th July 2015 at 11:05.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:02   #30
BHPian

Very interested in hearing about this new model. 1.8 on a hatchback is going to be sureshot fun !

Howerver, on reading the review of the link GTO gave, I realized that the DSG model is restricted to 250NM and the manual above 300NM. All the more reason to realize the limits of DSG.

I would prefer seeing the 1.8 manual and a 1.4 DSG. As always, price is always important.
anand_lukose is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks