Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 16:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
The real question is " How VW is looking to market this, a mass market or a flagship version of the brand, to improve brand image and visibility with perception may be as a racing DNA."
I don't think a brand like VW that has the iconic Beetle and Golf in its arsenal would position a Polo as its Halo model. At the same time, the Polo GTi doesn't have to be a mass market car as well.

IMHO, cars like Polo GTi and Punto Abarth would be part of a newer (performance) segment in the slowly maturing marketplace. If the car companies are brave enough to explore this new territory, we as consumers need to open up our minds and wallets a little more.
ashwin489 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 18:01   #62
BHPian

Bring it, localise the hell out of it and give it to us cheap.

VW, this will also earn you some brownie points from the PM with respect to his Make in India mission. Not to mention the countless blessings you will get from us.
Old 29th July 2015, 00:59   #63
BHPian

Today on my way back from a site visit at 'Kamshet' near Pune I happen to see a convoy of 4 VW cars all with a red MH-14 license plate. The convoy comprised on one pilot Vento, followed by two Polo & not sure what the last one was as it never passed me. Or should I say I never let it pass

These cars appeared behind me on Pavnanagar-Kamshet road headed to the Old Mumbai Pune highway.

They all moved in sync at almost the same speed & I let two of them pass me (the vento seemed pre facelift & one of the polo) the Polo was a GT TDI which was followed by a second TDI but with an additional badge which I believe read 'KONEKT'. Not sure what was under the hood or what the transmission was but boy the TDI just pulled away from me & my little Brio. I had to really step on so as to try & keep up. All the four car had one driver, some sort of GPS device attached to the windscreen & a headless mannequin as passenger, looked creepy

Could they be testing more variants or even the GTI as the forth vehicle, wont know for sure but that one too kept up well. It was just around Talegao that they pulled off the highway & dissapeared from behind me while I kept playing musical chairs between them.
Old 29th July 2015, 01:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuseinZS View Post
Today on my way back from a site visit at 'Kamshet' near Pune I happen to see a convoy of 4 VW cars all with a red MH-14 license plate. The convoy comprised on one pilot Vento, followed by two Polo & not sure what the last one was as it never passed me. Or should I say I never let it pass

These cars appeared behind me on Pavnanagar-Kamshet road headed to the Old Mumbai Pune highway.

They all moved in sync at almost the same speed & I let two of them pass me (the vento seemed pre facelift & one of the polo) the Polo was a GT TDI which was followed by a second TDI but with an additional badge which I believe read 'KONEKT'. Not sure what was under the hood or what the transmission was but boy the TDI just pulled away from me & my little Brio. I had to really step on so as to try & keep up. All the four car had one driver, some sort of GPS device attached to the windscreen & a headless mannequin as passenger, looked creepy

Could they be testing more variants or even the GTI as the forth vehicle, wont know for sure but that one too kept up well. It was just around Talegao that they pulled off the highway & dissapeared from behind me while I kept playing musical chairs between them.
I too had spotted the konekt version a week back near chakan, Had also posted a picture in the official VW polo review thread, And the polo i spotted too was the TDI with 77KW of power. You must have seen the same edition.
Old 29th July 2015, 07:19   #65
BHPian

Hmm, may be we will have a GT TDI with DSG in store as a surprise. With the success of the GT TSI with DSG, GT TDI with DSG following suit only makes sense. DSG TDI might rob some DSG TSI buyers but not everyone. VW shouldn't mind as long as they pick one from their stable.
Old 29th July 2015, 09:26   #66
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I had travelled to Chakan yesterday for some official work and I happened to spot the red GTI parked outside a dhaba. So I quickly jumped off the car and took some photographs. I waited for the driver to show up and rev the engine, but he didn't come till the time I was there. I will upload the pics in sometime today.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 11:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I had travelled to Chakan yesterday for some official work and I happened to spot the red GTI parked outside a dhaba. So I quickly jumped off the car and took some photographs. I waited for the driver to show up and rev the engine, but he didn't come till the time I was there. I will upload the pics in sometime today.
That's not fair, now you will make us wait for the photos!

A lots of recent spotting taking place for this Might little fella
Old 29th July 2015, 11:46   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Importantly, which gearbox was being tested? DSG or manual?
Old 29th July 2015, 13:16   #69
BHPian

Why VW why?? Just as I had made up my mind to get the new Vento Tsi, Boom comes this expose...

Although this Polo wouldn't meet my "big car" needs, I would be daft to buy the Vento now without at least waiting for the price of this little gem. If VW can keep it around 15 lacs, I have one huge fight to win with my wife!

Wish me luck!
Old 29th July 2015, 13:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post

If VW can keep it around 15 lacs, I have one huge fight to win with my wife!

Wish me luck!
Hey Bhodrolok I'd wish you all the luck with that fight bro, which we "Hubby's" may never win, considering the fact that experience speaks !!

However, if you do pull out a miracle, there would seldom be any fights (drags) that you will loose there after

Having bought one of the 2 true performance hatches in India recently, an upgrade would surely get me fried by my HM!! So all I can really hope for, is VW allow/accommodate some cross shopping of parts/accessories between the GTs & GTI.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 29th July 2015 at 13:26.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:30   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
The Polo 1.2 TSI with the excise benefits costs around 10.4 lakh in Bangalore. So the 1.8 TSI without any benefit will definitely cost about 16 lakh at least. Also VW will introduce the next generation Polo in 2016 which won't come to India before 2020. So spending 16 lakh for a soon to be outdated model doesn't make sense. Instead VW should bring in the bigger next gen Polo with this engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
As you have pointed out that VW won't be bringing the new polo till 2020 , we can't call the existing one as SOON-TO-BE-OUTDATED right? Your view may be right for a prospective buyer in Europe but not in India because this is going to be THE POLO for us for next 5 years atleast.

A sedan with 1.8 tsi retailing for 20 lakhs approx means 16 lakh price tag is valid for the hatch with the same mill😇 provided it gets the safety features and suspension as the sedan.
Alright guys really got confused here. My brother is very close to picking up a gt tsi but we were considering holding out for a year because of the arrival of the new polo in 2016. But reading the comments above i'm really wondering...

1. Why would VW not bring in the new polo to india till 2020 ? Is this confirmed news ? And why would they do that ? Is there any other example of this being done by any other car manufacturer in our country ?

2. I'm considering passing my gt tsi to my brother and get the gti for myself if the price is right. but at the back of my mind i know that this gti is probably only going to be fresh for a year or 2 max. But if the new polo is not really going to come to india till 2020 then it's fresh for another 5 years.

Need some clarity on this.

Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:57   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
Hmm, may be we will have a GT TDI with DSG in store as a surprise. With the success of the GT TSI with DSG, GT TDI with DSG following suit only makes sense. DSG TDI might rob some DSG TSI buyers but not everyone. VW shouldn't mind as long as they pick one from their stable.
you almost took words from my mouth. GT TDI with DSG, if on the cards then they have a customer already. My daily drive is about 240 kms (200 expressway and 40 city) and currently using jetta, getz and brio in combination and on my mood basis. But the only thing i desire is a DSG. replacing one of the hatches with DSG is on my mind and if i can opt for diesel as a fuel, its like "sone pe suhaga".
Old 29th July 2015, 14:11   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
I'm considering passing my gt tsi to my brother and get the gti for myself if the price is right. but at the back of my mind i know that this gti is probably only going to be fresh for a year or 2 max. But if the new polo is not really going to come to india till 2020 then it's fresh for another 5 years. Need some clarity on this.
Only Volkswagen can give you some clarity on this. Whatever I know is based on reports. You can read it here: http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/03/car...a-before-2020/
and here: http://www.rushlane.com/next-gen-pol...-12147449.html
By the way what is the right price you are looking at?
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 15:13   #74
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
Importantly, which gearbox was being tested? DSG or manual?
The car had the DSG box and a very sweet looking GTI steering wheel.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 15:57   #75
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught on camera yesterday at Chakan, the Polo 1.8 GTI.

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134536105.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134522740.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134543279.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134548430.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134641799.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134644206.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134559107.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134604909.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134617441.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-img_20150728_134625930.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2015 at 17:38.
//M is offline   (62) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks