Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 15:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Rejoy, though I can't clearly see the interior bits, the tail lights on that GTI is the current Euro spec 6C tail lights for the Polo (not just the GTI). Zero changes there.

They have a different set of connectors compared to the 6R ones.
Try zooming in.
The design of both the tail lamps is the same. Both looks same too. But the EU one has more definition to it unlike the Indian one.

To give a comparison, its the same way the tail lights of Polo 6R Indian spec and Polo 6R EU spec tail light differ.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 15:46   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Try zooming in.
Hard to judge from that snap from ICB. Zooming in further pixelates it. The car has the same Euro-spec dual beam headlights (with LEDs?) and a sunroof. I wouldn't think those tail lights are any different.
Old 27th July 2015, 15:50   #48
BANNED

1. VW’s declaration of the the imported price landed price of the car is Rs.23,65,176/-. (see attachment below). It remains to be seen (a) how much of a mark up VW will put on this price or (b) whether they would have local components that could offset the import price or (c) whether they would sell it a slight loss (as some manufacturers do on certain models.)

2. The engine of the test mule is indicated as 1.8 TSI as per the import details in the attachment.

3. The test mule has been imported from Germany.

4. The launch date is expected to be around Diwali although not yet officially confirmed by VW.

5. Expect features such as XDL etc to be enabled to handle the extra power.

6. The more competent and expensive (to manufacture) Laura with the 1.8TSI engine was available for around 11.50 lakhs on road and yet found very little takers so there not be many takers for this car.

7. The Laura could handle the 1.8TSI engine at its VMax quite competently. The GTI with its torsion bar rear suspension will not be that competent at Vmax although it may be a lot more nimble at lower speeds.

8. The base model Polo Petrol is available at a 70% lesser on road price which will make this car appear unreasonably priced to most buyers.

9. VW isn’t expecting volumes with this car and are positioning this as a halo model for the brand like the Beetle so this may not to be a very "reasonably priced" car.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-vw-gti-import.jpg  

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 27th July 2015 at 16:05.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 16:46   #49
BHPian

Though my mouth is watering of a Polo with a 1.8 TSI engine, I feel it will be too much overly priced, if they launch the 1.4TSi for less than 15L on-road with all the bells and whistles, I would surely be a taker.
Old 27th July 2015, 19:55   #50
BHPian

Thanks Veryron - Now looks like its not the polo segment that they are targeting, looks like a rival for the Mini more from the CBU cost. That said VW already has the 1.8 tsi motor + local assembly not sure if sub 15 is achievable.
Old 27th July 2015, 21:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

The car also has the 'Euro style' flat wipers compared to the conventional blades (with spring loaded linkages) on Indian Polo. However, quite understated even in GTI trim compared to some of our homegrown 'RS' all show no go variants!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 00:42   #52
BHPian

Bring it on VW this is precisely why most of us love your cars. Please launch this soon and not make us salivate for long!

There was an Autocar article on VW considering hotter Polos as they were pleasantly surprised with the volumes on the GT twins. There was a mention that they were considering the GT with the 1.4 TSI With 159 bhp and the GTI with the 1.8 TSI with 189 bhp which would nudge 17 lacs. What I don't understand and refuse to believe what some people have posted here that this car can cost 25-27 lacs which is more than the Octavia TSI irrespective of what it competes with in the European market! If that happens then it will be a sure shot dud. However if they somehow manage to price this around the 13-15 lacs range then it should be worth considering! Given recent trends on pricing of new launches this may be wishful thinking though!

Link to Autocar article http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-news/volkswagen-mulling-hotter-polos-for-india-392539.aspx

Go for it VW
Old 28th July 2015, 05:49   #53
BHPian

I hope it doesn't have the dead steering of the current Polo but anyway, I would much rather get a 500 abarth than a GTI! I just hope Fiat gets a manual here.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 09:28   #54
BHPian

The joy of driving this around....debadged. Best sleeper in our market at the moment ! Hope they offer the M/T with juicier torque figures.

VW India, you have one confirmed buyer here provided you don't charge me Passat prices

And yes, please let us spec our cars, so i can choose the delicious tartan fabric inserts a la Golf

pic source: Car & Driver Jan 2015
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-2015volkswagenpologti117876x535.jpg  

Ash_vtec is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 10:52   #55
psn
BHPian

Autocar Mag issue of December 2014 had also mentioned that VW is muling getting the 1.4 litre TSi of the Jetta in the Polo. 1.8 TSi with 7-speed DSG might be a dream come true but 17 lakhs, may be really steep. I hope with 1.8 they also launch 1.4 tsi with 120-130 bhp tune, with Manual. That might be a good compromise between price and power.
I also wish they make the interiors even more upmarket for these cars, leather with contrasting coloured stitching, better music system, sportier seats, arm rest, upmarket instrument cluster like they have in GTi sold in UK, stiffer suspension, tighter handling, better brakes with body coloured brake calipers.. go the distance VW..Go mad..
Oh and please offer the orange and black colours also...
Old 28th July 2015, 11:26   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
Autocar Mag issue of December 2014 had also mentioned that VW is muling getting the 1.4 litre TSi of the Jetta in the Polo. 1.8 TSi with 7-speed DSG might be a dream come true but 17 lakhs, may be really steep. I hope with 1.8 they also launch 1.4 tsi with 120-130 bhp tune, with Manual. That might be a good compromise between price and power.

I also wish they make the interiors even more upmarket for these cars, leather with contrasting coloured stitching, better music system, sportier seats, arm rest, upmarket instrument cluster like they have in GTi sold in UK, stiffer suspension, tighter handling, better brakes with body coloured brake calipers.. go the distance VW..Go mad..

Oh and please offer the orange and black colours also...

And tight steering above all......😀
Old 28th July 2015, 12:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

I am the only one who is drooling over this awesome sleeper? Excellent move if they launch it soon. Maybe even as a competition to Abarth Punto ? The many scoops on Punto might have provoked the hot hatch trendsetter to upgrade its stable perhaps? In any case I would definitely like to get my hands on one.
Old 28th July 2015, 13:01   #58
BHPian

The real question is " How VW is looking to market this, a mass market or a flagship version of the brand, to improve brand image and visibility with perception may be as a racing DNA."

I learned from one of the interviews of senior person at MB that they market and advertise S-class, which shows what a Mercedes benz is and can build, but their interest and sole purpose is to still sell the C-class. Take any brand for example and you will see them advertising and marketing their flagship versions the most. Just my 2 cents.

If above is true, then i dont think GTI will be priced sub15 lacs range.
Old 28th July 2015, 13:04   #59
BHPian

The Polo 1.2 TSI with the excise benefits costs around 10.4 lakh in Bangalore. So the 1.8 TSI without any benefit will definitely cost about 16 lakh at least. Also VW will introduce the next generation Polo in 2016 which won't come to India before 2020. So spending 16 lakh for a soon to be outdated model doesn't make sense. Instead VW should bring in the bigger next gen Polo with this engine.
Old 28th July 2015, 13:18   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Also VW will introduce the next generation Polo in 2016 which won't come to India before 2020. So spending 16 lakh for a soon to be outdated model doesn't make sense.

As you have pointed out that VW won't be bringing the new polo till 2020 , we can't call the existing one as SOON-TO-BE-OUTDATED right? Your view may be right for a prospective buyer in Europe but not in India because this is going to be THE POLO for us for next 5 years atleast.

A sedan with 1.8 tsi retailing for 20 lakhs approx means 16 lakh price tag is valid for the hatch with the same mill😇 provided it gets the safety features and suspension as the sedan.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks