Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 11:06   #31
BHPian

Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Wow! Haha. Judge us a bit slowly, mate.

While I'd prefer an open wheel daily driver, it's practically not feasible.

I'd love a sun roof on a hot hatch. What's not to like in a city like Bangalore where it would be the best drive ever with the sun roof open and hearing the engine sound as we cruise on NICE road. Maybe, I am selfish.

Love the idea of the anti-puke sensors. Would apply for both enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts.

On topic, would all that power be usable in a fwd car? I really hope a LSD gets added.
I am glad at least someone here has a sense of humour.

Well, the point that I was trying to make is that just hating cosmetic upgrades for heck of it doesn't automatically make one a true motoring enthusiast. And, I have seen certain "holier than thou" purist types here putting down others by labelling them 'chrome-loving' and 'beige-obsessed' the minute they say something remotely naive with childish enthusiasm. Sorry for going OT.

Yes, I would also love to have top-notch safety kit and proper braking kit to make all that power useable and keep me alive. And, yes, I would rather have all that instead of a sunroof. All I hope is that they assemble it locally and pricing shouldn't be that much of a problem.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:18   #32
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo GTI spotted testing in India

This is spectacular news. I hope they start assembling the polo GT TSI (GTI would not be too feasible at this point in time IMO) using parts manufactured in India to keep the prices down. There is no point in importing parts like the body panels and interior trim.

Import the drivetrain and suspension components, use locally manufactured parts for the rest of the car and price it at around 12L! Too much to ask?
scuderiamania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 11:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
Firstly, I have been a big fan of the 1.8T engine. Primarily this has seen duty in many good cars (Audi TT, A4, Skoda Octavia, Seats to name a few)

I had read a review when the first Skoda Octavia was launched with this engine and many people had said that this engine was more powerful because of its efficiency and not by virtue of burning more fuel. It is a 5 valve per cylinder engine.

Then i had the opportunity to drive a mad Octavia with over 300 horses. Came back smiling from ear to ear.

If VW brings the Polo with this 1.8T gem them I am sure there are many others who know the capabilities of the engine. Also mated to the 7 speed DSG this will be nothing short of phenomenal.

We can all only hope that VW is listening and will launch this.
The 1.8T engine(R4 20v) you talking about is a different engine. The 1.8 TSI (EA113) in Laura TSI replaced the older 1.8T 5 valves per cylinder engine we first saw under the hoods of Octavia Gen1, which was later replaced by the 1.8 TSI(EA888) engine that comes in the Octavia Gen3 now.

Only the Japanese are still stuck to MPFI(atleast in India, still labelled as cutting edge tech), Europeans have kept evolving.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 11:57   #34
BHPian

VW Polo GTI with a 1.8 TSi engine in India always sounded like a distant dream. More so because even the bigger Jetta does not get the 1.8 TSi option. The Jetta should have always had the 1.8 TSi when Skoda can offer Octavia with the same engine.

Plonking this monster engine in a hatch may not find too many buyers in India where 'big car' images drive the industry at the price point we are speculating (13-15L). The die-hard enthusiasts might prefer the Polo GTI with a M/T.
Old 27th July 2015, 12:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Now we are talking. This is the VW we want to see in India.

But if VW wants this car to have a decent run then they have to manufacture it here. I think priced around 14-16L this car should find buyer's but anything more then that VW will only be killing their own product. The problem is the Polo GT is already selling at around 10.xx over here. A premium of about 4-6 lakhs over that is justified specially since the GTI will look like any other Polo over here except for maybe bigger wheels (Skirts maybe). That is another problem for VW. In Europe, people love the subtle looks, people want the 'sleeper' looks but Indian's want bling. Indian's want the world to know that their Polo is different and hence more expensive then the regular Polo's.

But if they bring it in as a CBU for 25-30 lakhs then even God can't help them. No amount of bling, chrome, beige, power, badge & brand can save them then.

Last edited by amit : 27th July 2015 at 12:46.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 12:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo GTI spotted testing in India

I have already started "convincing" the family on why we should look at upgrading to this car once it is available. As of now it has been dismissed as a downgrade to a hatchback

If this is available at 12L ex-showroom, it is going to be a STEAL! But that's highly unlikely, and wishful thinking because the GT TSI is already around 8.6 ex-showroom Bangalore.
Old 27th July 2015, 13:37   #37
Team-BHP Support

Before we get too excited about this, let's put things into perspective.

The Polo GTI is currently on sale in the UK and will set you back by around 20,000 pounds for the 5-door version (Pre-tax, pre-insurance, etc.) while the new-gen Mini Cooper S also retails for around the same, give or take. Let's keep in mind that these prices do not include the barrage of options available on both cars.

In India, the Cooper S is nothing less than 40 lakhs, and that's because it's a CBU. The Polo on the other hand is not only assembled but also heavily localized and subjected to severe cost-cutting.

The GTI is not just about the drivetrain and chassis. Nitty gritties such as components / sensors, wiring, etc. exclusive to the GTI etc that go unnoticed aren't cheap and the costs will add up eventually. For example, VW had to relocate the battery in order to showhorn the 1.8 TSI lump into the engine bay. The battery now sits in the boot. The seats, steering wheel, head-unit, instrument-cluster, etc. are all going to add to the cost of the car. I won't be surprised if the GTI will cost in excess of 20 lakhs.

What VW could do is make an India-spec GTI, like what they have done in China. The Chinese GTI does not get the 1.8 TSI from the Euro-GTI. Instead, it gets the smaller 1.4 TSI. This could help keep costs down and ensure that the the price does not go beyond the 20 lakh mark. I'm fairly certain that a 25 lakh GTI will not go down well with enthuisiasts.
suhaas307 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 14:11   #38
BHPian

It is very interesting to see these kind of test mules running on our roads. I have my own reservations about this car being brought here (assembled / CKD) in the near future.

I dont mean to be a spoil sport in this discussion, but my reasons are as below. i attribute the success of the GT TSI because of these. purely my opinion.

1. GT TSI sells not only because of the enthusiasts and it is a fact that many non enthusiasts buy this car. (quite a few actually!). City crawlers, ladies etc love this car and the fact that it does not shout out 'boy racer' is an added point.

2. Reasonably affordable to a wider range of buyers.

3. Fuel efficiency wont kill you. It is every bit as practical and comfortable as the 1.2 petrol or the 1.5 tdi versions.

If the 1.8 tsi is going to make enthusiasts in India jump in large numbers, then the octavia or laura or the current octavia tsi should have shown decent numbers, in spite of a reasonable price tag for the amount of car on offer. The indian buyer is increasingly becoming open to different options, but these offerings cater to a very small group of even the full blown enthusiasts. I for one, would definitely not put down >15 lakhs for a fast, low polo unless it is my weekend drive and have 2 other cars for day to day use.

I personally would go bonkers if this car is launched, but I am sceptical about the realities of our market at present. I would still like a subtle car like the red one on this thread with a 1.4 tsi. I guess that would take care of all my needs and thrills (I dont intend to take my car on the track or test the top speed on our roads). Add a DSG and I guess I can book the car with the homeministers permission , use it every day, not blow my bank balance and get it serviced at the regular VW outlet (without worrying if the technician can service my GTI).

Just my 2 cents.

Happy motoring
differential is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 14:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

I really liked the looks, especially the front bumper. Hope the final launch would look the same.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:21   #40
BHPian

I agree that the 1.4 TSI would attract lot more buyers than the 1.8 TSI. 1.4 would be way more practical with respect to cost and fuel efficiency. If VW can iron out the niggles with the current GT TSI at stop and go situations (before the turbo spools in), i feel the 1.4 TSI is certain to be a hit. 1.4 TSI can also be a serious competitor to the yet to be launched 1.4L Punto Evo
Old 27th July 2015, 14:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The 1.8T engine(R4 20v) you talking about is a different engine. The 1.8 TSI (EA113) in Laura TSI replaced the older 1.8T 5 valves per cylinder engine we first saw under the hoods of Octavia Gen1, which was later replaced by the 1.8 TSI(EA888) engine that comes in the Octavia Gen3 now.

Only the Japanese are still stuck to MPFI(atleast in India, still labelled as cutting edge tech), Europeans have kept evolving.
Thanks for that Anshuman. In fact, I realised that I have been well behind on VW engines and read further on that.

Nonetheless, the 300bhp Octavia I was talking about was the current generation one. It was my mistake to think that the same 1.8T from previous generation was still in duty under this car.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
It is very interesting to see these kind of test mules running on our roads. I have my own reservations about this car being brought here (assembled / CKD) in the near future.

+1 to your post. Exactly what I intended to convey (with my paltry language skills).
A 1.4 tsi or tuned 1.6 tdi would be the right match of efficiency,performance whenever necessary,less upkeep costs compared to gasoline thirsty 1.8 tsi ( info from few octavia tsi owners in our forum) which would be an overkill for a common man and also for our present road conditions ,traffic and driving ethics of our people.

There aren't much roads in India to demarcate a clear difference in the performances of 1.4 tsi or 1.8 tsi ( maybe Yamuna expressway et al be an exception ). I am damn sure the traffic and irresponsible darting drivers and public will see to it that the difference average speeds of both the cars are within 5 kmph of each other.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th July 2015 at 15:18. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Please do not quote an entire post for replying. Incoveniences mobile users. Thanks!
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 14:50   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I am expecting the price to be in the 25-27L bracket (ex-showroom)

May not find many takers hence they are themselves saying limited to 500 units

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I only wish I had another parking space
Buy it, you can park the car in my building
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 14:57   #44
BHPian

This is indeed a good news. But I guess the engine in the indian Polo GTi will be 1.4 TSi. The scoop that we see here is not a direct import from UK/ EU markets. The central console and the rear lights are quick give aways.
The central console in EU GTi is piano black finish and the tail light though same design has more definition in it. You can see pictures in the below link.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/89663/v...iew-pictures#3
Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-volkswagenpologtiindiaspiedpune.jpg

IMHO the test mule here is the one which is manufactured in India. Since the EU GTi is upgraded to a 1.8 L engine, VW will be happy to use the 1.4 Tsi in the emerging markets to market their brand as a performance oriented one.

If VW is able to launch this car at 10-11 L (Polo GT retails at 8.30-8.50 L) ex showroom, sure they will be able to it is definitely going to see some numbers
rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 15:22   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
The central console and the rear lights are quick give aways.

The central console in EU GTi is piano black finish and the tail light though same design has more definition in it.
Rejoy, though I can't clearly see the interior bits, the tail lights on that GTI is the current Euro spec 6C tail lights for the Polo (not just the GTI). Zero changes there.

This:

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-cssyrz7.jpg

Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-maxresdefault.jpg

Source: Google Images

They have a different set of connectors compared to the 6R ones.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks