Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:14   #781
J.Ravi

Re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Just like Abarth Punto leading the hot hatch poll with an unbeatable wide margin, this thread has become a hot thread too.

My dad had an 1100D, I, a Linea, and maybe, my son may own one of the Abarth twins.

Coming to the sales numbers, I already started feeling a sense of déjà vu. When I bought my Linea 1.4 NA petrol in October 2009, people started complaining lack of power, although along with 1.3 MJD, it was selling over 1,000 copies a month . Later, Fiat India listened to the complainants and introduced Linea 1.4 T-Jet, coinciding with unprecedented hikes in petrol prices, which resulted in dwindling sales of this powerful sedan, from which it could not recover till today. I pray that history shall not repeat itself with the Abarth twins this time. All said and done, I will be happier, if the sales numbers increase by atleast 10% with the launch of the Abarth twins, which will make FCA India happy too, I suppose. I wish FCA India all the best.
  (12) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:30   #782
BHPian

The only car that impressed the 'supressed enthusiast' in me during my car search was the linea T jet. I am sure Abarth will impress me a lot more. If I had the moolah for a second 'performance car' I would definitely pick the T Jet or the Abarth. Waiting to lay hands on one for a TD. A bit reluctant as I was in good terms with the Fiat SA and had to turn down the T jet.
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:39   #783
BHPian

I am missing all the fun since I am not in India currently. Waiting to have my hands on this beast.. or should I say the beauty (without all those tacky stickers esp on the fog lamps).

I have owned close to 10 cars from some of the brands which are so called to have the best of the best service. I started off with an Alto, then upgraded to Swift, Ritz, and then my wife had an 800 for some time and then we went to the Nano.

By the way, I had an Linea MJD and then got the Linea Tjet too. My last ride before I came back was an XUV.

All in all, I can confidently say that FIAT Service in Chennai is by far on par or even exceed my expectations in most of the cases. I had issues with my swift and every time it went for service, I got bills above 9k or 10k (e.g. my 25k service of my swift was 14k). My Tjet or MJD service bills never ever went beyond 6-7k and the FIAT exp. was wonderful.

So, if someone is saying FIAT Service is not upto mark, they most likely have not owned one (70% of those cases who write off FIAT service) and just trying to mark their attendance here in this thread / forum (in the name of their opinion). Some of the cases will be genuine and I agree. But as far as I know, within my friends and family (my cousin owns a Punto 90HP which has done 30k+), there has been no issues with FIAT service, infact it is one of the trouble free service experience, I would say.

By the way, my Cousin really wanted to buy the Swift (it was his first car). I suggested him to take a back to back test of the Swift and Punto and without a hesitation, he opted for the Punto.

In India, where priority is given for mileage and Point A to B commute, a car like this is a welcome change and I would respect FIAT for this bold move.

and coming back, boy o boy, I am waiting with my money to get this beauty.. I know I will have a tough time choosing between Punto 90 and 145 (Head Vs Heart).. but lets see what I will get. To me, my choice is simple, I will happily bet my money on a FIAT since its the most trouble free car I have owned, driven and have had some good memorable times.

Good job FIAT . Count me in.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 22nd October 2015 at 11:45.
Sathya_sc is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:10   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
And then we have some mad as hell drivers in New Delhi, that drive like maniacs. I just pray none of them buys this, hate to see someone getting hurt walking on the street when an irresponsible guy is driving this.
Now that you said it, I am beginning to understand the rationale behind the RS badging by MS - with a remarkable social responsibility, they ensure people are forced to drive sanely, yet give people a sports car. I think our government should take a cue and ban all vehicles above 70 bhp. Or perhaps tax all cars heavily except Ambassadors may be.

Btw, just curious, does your ZDI have an RS badge too?
prakash_ajp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 13:23   #785
Senior - BHPian

Completely Agreed,
While going for another car, a single reason is enough to go for it despite lots of negatives and while not choosing Fiat a single reason is enough to complain despite serious positives. Sad but reality.

I have this serious feeling of few ones just posting for their share of 'fun' by inciting others. But its happening since last few years so we are used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
So, if someone is saying FIAT Service is not upto mark, they most likely have not owned one (70% of those cases who write off FIAT service) and just trying to mark their attendance here in this thread / forum (in the name of their opinion).
After reading various opinions about good mileage of TSI I am starting to believe that while non-maruti customers claim to have chosen other brands over Maruti due to other factors, but in reality our country is indeed "obsessed" with mileage.

And this may be one of the reason for success of GT TSI.

We have a long list of flop cars :
Polo 1.6
Fusion 1.6
Fiesta S 1.6
many others,
what was the achilles heel : Mileage, Mileage and Mileage

All manufacturers very well know that and wouldn't care two hoots by spending a lot on R&D and changes to their cars for how much volumes, say 100 cars max.

Really speaking, only Fiat could afford to do that as even 50-100 cars would constitute 20% jump in their volumes while losing nothing.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 13:45   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
After reading various opinions about good mileage of TSI I am starting to believe that while non-maruti customers claim to have chosen other brands over Maruti due to other factors, but in reality our country is indeed "obsessed" with mileage.

And this may be one of the reason for success of GT TSI.
A friend of mine has a GT TSI, according to him, you don't buy a GT TSI for mileage. He likes it for the motor and his mom likes it for the convenience of automatic. Mileage is the last positive of this car. It's no better that others out there.

His real world mileage is 10-12 in city with AC. For those who claim its 20+ , it might be one off. Drive the car for a month in city+ highway and then it'll be known accurately.

Coming back to mentality of indians, is changing slowly. Mileage is now being given less importance atleast in some cases.

GT TSI is successful since it caters to 2 groups of people - those who want automatic and the enthusiasts. Punto Abarth is solely focused on enthusiasts, or people who want the city iVtec minus the boot.
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 14:21   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Punto Abarth is solely focused on enthusiasts, or people who want the city iVtec minus the boot.
City iVtec? and a Punto?

Although iVtec is a good engine no doubt, but still two cars cannot be more apart I believe. Boot or no Boot!

Last edited by vibbs : 22nd October 2015 at 14:45.
vibbs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 14:36   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Sorry about that. See, the problem as I see it is very simple -
  • People who have never owned a FIAT come and make negative comments
So if someone who doesn't happen to own a FIAT car, opines that its unsuitable to themself, you've suddenly got the right to snub him/her for that?

Quote:
  • When questioned, they say "That is just my opinion. I have the right"
What else is expected when the replies try to ridicule & oppressively silence the person who disagrees with what matters to him/her ?

Quote:
, what I have said is my opinion...
Really ? Read that post again. In context of replying to a member who didn't like something about the car.

If your opinion was to muzzle dissent, then yes thats your opinion. Only that its NOT fair, and against forum rules to have such an attitude.

Quote:
  • Some FIAT owners come in and respond objectively
Some do, as yours truly tried to, often many don't.

Quote:
  • They are immediately branded fanboys and whatever they say becomes a rant
Under which category must people with ideas such as below, be put under then ?

Quote:
For the one who would disown his own kid if said kid created a scratch on the vehicle. (*Even if said in jest, I'd rather such freaks be locked up.*)

For the one who would be borderline neurotic when it comes to service and actually tries to pose as a service technician to get into the service bay. (*Can't these weirdo's request the CRM? I've never been refused to be allowed to stay with the car at FASC.*)

For the one who doesn't care if he forgot his family in the mall and driving around with a weird smile on his face...
Shouldn't we be glad it stops at "Fanboys" here? Most psychiatrists would, quite probably, declare these people as lunatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
...Obviously DSG will make the car go quick, but with slick manual gearbox and good driver will be even competition.
And has FIAT provided a slick gearbox?

Also, a good driver, maybe. A common driver, may quite probably not be. I'd guess a common driver can be "good" for 5% of the drive, but then for the rest of the time, a DSG or the DCT would've been better anyday.

If one cares at all to be better enabled for 95% of the drive, a DSG would've been better anyday.

If all one cares for is that 5% of the drive, then sure, knock yourself out - drive the manual!

Btw, does FIAT make pure & complete drivers cars ? One in which a comfortable driver seating position is quite famously, "hard to find" to say the least. Many even say its a "Hit or miss".

Quote:
Manual is for purists, Abarth is giving manual.
Hence Abarth is for purists.
"Purist", wow sounds like such a nice word. If manuals are for "Purists", then why not simply start doing everything related to driving, manually ? Why at all key-crank to start the car ? They should still have that hand crank at the front of the car, no?

How many "FIAT Fans" here would've criticised the company if this was offered Fiats' Dual Clutch Transmission ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
...Relax everyone. Not everyone needs this car. Not everyone will want this car...
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Guys, at the end of the day it's only a car so lets keep that in perspective...
+10

Peace out.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 14:41   #789
Senior - BHPian

Again slightly disagree.

GTI caters to people who are 'Enthusiasts expecting decent mileage' and 'A/T customers who want decent Premium hatch which belongs to a manufacturer that also gives Skoda and Audi.'
I see nothing wrong with this especially when there are huge Traffic Jams in almost all the cities and the monthly expenses on fuel are too big too be ignored.

At the same time, all this is completely IRRELEVANT to this thread IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
A friend of mine has a GT TSI, according to him, you don't buy a GT TSI for mileage. He likes it for the motor and his mom likes it for the convenience of automatic. Mileage is the last positive of this car. It's no better that others out there.

His real world mileage is 10-12 in city with AC. For those who claim its 20+ , it might be one off. Drive the car for a month in city+ highway and then it'll be known accurately.

Coming back to mentality of indians, is changing slowly. Mileage is now being given less importance atleast in some cases.

GT TSI is successful since it caters to 2 groups of people - those who want automatic and the enthusiasts. Punto Abarth is solely focused on enthusiasts, or people who want the city iVtec minus the boot.
Sorry for jumping in,

The fans who would be criticising Fiat for DCT would be more than or equal to who

Criticised Ford for giving EPS in EcoSport
Criticised Fiat for increasing the GC
Are Criticising Ford for giving the EPS and Soft-suspension in Aspire
Are Criticising Maruti for not giving as basic as 90HP Diesel engine in Baleno.

We BHPians are definitely unbiased wrt few factors and driving pleasure is surely on top of it, comfort creatures be damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
How many "FIAT Fans" here would've criticised the company if this was offered Fiats' Dual Clutch Transmission ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd October 2015 at 14:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:10   #790
BHPian

Just did a TD of the Abarth in Pune. Boy oh boy, what a car!
Few observations:
1. Loved the brakes. Very confidence inspiring.
2. Tyre upgrade is a must
3. The Abarth was not wearing the metal pedals, SA told you have to buy them as accessories. (Not sure how knowledgeable was the SA)
4. There was some sensor of sorts on the dashboard, what is that for? Can anybody confirm?
5. The grill surround is gloss black and not chrome
6. Full size spare
7. Loved the steering wheel, such a joy to hold.
8. Liked the front and back seat support. Looks good too in red and yellow stitching

This is just the kind of car I would like to buy as my first car. Small and fast. Also, my father owns a Laura TSI, brother has a Swift, so I drive both these cars regularly. Trust me, the Abarth in comparison, never felt the gearbox as rubbery or the driving position weird. I was comfortable as soon as I sat inside. Don't know why so much fuss over it. Anyways that's my opinion.
It is time to start saving! Hope I will be able to book by my target date of mid Jan.
Cheers!
Thank you Fiat
driveanddrive is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:12   #791

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
"Purist", wow sounds like such a nice word. If manuals are for "Purists", then why not simply start doing everything related to driving, manually ? Why at all key-crank to start the car ? They should still have that hand crank at the front of the car, no?
True.

Suddenly I remembered, in my college days, one guy was saying that its the inner beauty that matters, one girl stood up and said, "what do you want, should i tell that I love your kidneys, ur gorgeous blood, etc, kya? "

Punto Abarth, if I am right, is not positioned for the rich people as they have Merc, BMW, Mini cooper, etc. And not for the low end as well as they will stick to normal hatch backs. This will be targeted towards the middle income people and most of them will be working in some IT, financial institutes, new age start ups, etc. And all of such offices are inevitably in metro cities.

Recently, me and around 5 of my friends booked new cars in the last one month and we all booked Automatic. Still we have the option to cancel as most of us has not received the cars. And I can push the budget and move from GT TSI to Abrth Punto, but I wont. Its not because I don't love extra power or I am obsessed with mileage (I wouldn't have thought about moving from my diesel Verna to petrol polo if I was a much mileage conscious individual. Yes while its true that if mileage is too low, I would have dropped that product because the company has not justice by not doing proper R&D and simply came to market with "something", and I will not accept that "something". It has to keep pace with the advancing technological changes).

So my main criteria as well as all my friend's criteria was nothing but the convenience of auto box in a city infected by heavy traffic issues.

Even after reading in-numerous posts by bhpians regarding the thrill of manual box, I somehow still feel missing out on an auto box in a vehicle targeted towards the metro crowd is a miss for Fiat.
binish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:20   #792
BHPian

Disclaimer first: I am a proud GT TSI owner.

Now my views: I was blown away when I heard the specs of Punto Abarth. It truly is a monster. Although I bought my TSI in January, I still cursed myself for not being able to have a choice between Punto Abarth and GT TSI.

Although I had visited the Fiat showroom and drove Punto Evo as well but I hated the car. The interiors were just nauseating and ergonomics poorer than Mali. So even if it was the best car in the class I wasnt going to buy it.

Then I saw the GT TSI and the rest is history.

So, I am happy that I have the GT TSI. It is, to me, still better than Punto Abarth.

Sure 145 BHP is great and the car is fast but I have driven fast cars and I don't Indian roads need so much power. GT TSI touches 140 kmph with ease and overtaking at even 130 kmph is a breeze.

So yes, Punto Abarth is definitely faster but that is it. In every other department the GT TSI is better and I am not even talking about the DSG gearbox. I know some "enthusiasts" will talk about the superiority of manual gearbox for the pleasure of driving, so I say 'to each its own'.

I still am jealous that GT TSI isn't the fastest hatch anymore but I am sorry 12 lakh on road for the car that is just a Delhi socialite's dream of tacky decals and terrible interior quality.

Over and out.

I don't think the price is worth it.
#ish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:35   #793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
One of best driver's car in the world: PORSCHE 911 GT3 RS comes with 6 speed manual.
All the super/hypercars you've mentioned above have the flappy-paddle gearbox. They give the manual shift feel. Obviously DSG will make the car go quick, but with slick manual gearbox and good driver will be even competition.
Manual is for purists, Abarth is giving manual.
Hence Abarth is for purists.
- The Porsche 911 (991) GT3 and GT3 RS are no longer available with a manual transmission, even as an option.

- However 'slick' a manual transmission is / however good a driver is, modern ATs will still shift faster. The 8-speed ZFs and DSGs of this world have taken snappy-shifts to a whole new level.

- In India, the only 'real' Abarth on offer - the 595 Competizione - is not available with a manual transmission and you can get it only with an AMT. The reason why the Abarth Punto is available with a 5-speed manual is probably not because they want to cater to the purists.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:49   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
3. The Abarth was not wearing the metal pedals, SA told you have to buy them as accessories. (Not sure how knowledgeable was the SA)
That is correct. The metal pedals are accessories. I don't know the price yet since the dealership hasn't got the details as yet. He has been told very sternly that the car better have it installed before we take delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
4. There was some sensor of sorts on the dashboard, what is that for? Can anybody confirm?

Thank you Fiat

What sensor? Can you please elaborate?
Old 22nd October 2015, 16:01   #795
BHPian

Any Linea T-Jet owner here who has TD'ed the Abarth Punto? I am quite curious to know how different the car is, given that the basic engine is the same. I feel that existing T-Jet owners will be best equipped to describe the differences precisely.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 22nd October 2015 at 16:02.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks