Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2017, 10:08   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: In Two Minds: Verna 2017 or Honda City 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayJohri View Post
Hello folks

Till 24 hours back, I was all set to pick up the Honda CITY VX CVT.

But then, I test-drove the new VERNA.
And now, I am in two minds. Logically, I tell myself to go for the Honda for its proven refinement, but somewhere, my heart is seeking the Verna to for the pep and great exteriors it offered me. Not to mention that it will give me most features of the City for a good Rs 1.3-1.5L less.

Would be grateful to have your advise. I intend to keep my new car with me for at least 5-7 years.

Cheers,
Ajay
Hyundais are also equally reliable. Since you like the Verna more, go for it. The fact that it is cheaper is added bonus.
Old 25th August 2017, 10:23   #632
BHPian

Thanks dark.knight. Very well summed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
-Novelty factor : Verna
Thank you Nalin. Your comparison is really helpful, and thanks for wiping off the legacy opinions about Hyundai's reliability vis a vis Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I think I am reasonably qualified to comment on Hyundai's credentials after having driven the first generation Verna for 9 years and also seen the i20 from close quarters for about three years (brother owned) .
Thank you so much Arit, for putting the perspective right. Yes, I was referring to the Petrol versions of both the cars. Your analysis is extremely useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
I believe the OP was intended to collect views only between petrol versions of City and Verna. Some of the responses pointing towards high NVH in City make me think that people might be providing feedback about diesel versions instead.
Hello themonster. Thank you for your immensely detailed comparison, and the lovely warmth of your message. Will certain keep you and all other maestros updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
I am writing my personal point of view on both the cars, as I had driven the Verna 4S (2016 model) and I presently drive the Honda City (2014 model). Both the cars were manual petrol.
Hi!

Good morning to all you amazing gentlemen who responded with their gracious, detailed and awesome advise. Thank you so very much for welcoming me into this community, and the warmth of your messages.

My perceptions have changed significantly after reading what you had to say. So here goes a summary of my thoughts:

1. I will be very happy to pick up the VERNA Petrol SXO AT. It costs Rs 13.66L in New Delhi.

2. In terms of features, the above model of Verna compares well with City ZX CVT Petrol, which will cost about Rs 1.35-1.50L more. The City VX CVT will cost about Rs 65K more.

3. The Delivery is the only issue. The dealerships say that they will offer me a delivery after about 15 days min., as they have to get the Black colored vehicle ordered from the factory.

4. The real issue with Delivery is that if they can't hand it over to me by the 3rd of September (just before Shraddhs begin) and instead offer during Navratras, then the risk of additional 10% GST Cess getting levied becomes very, very real (The Govt is supposed to have a meeting on 7th September, pass an ordinance to modify the current law to enable it raising the max cess from the current 15% to 25%).

This would mean that cost of the Verna will go up by about Rs 1.5L. The Verna may not necessarily see an increase, but at this point, you can't really bet on it

In that case, I will find it wise to pick up the City and escape the rise.

I am speaking to a couple of dealerships if they can make the Verna delivery before 3rd Sept. Will keep you updated.

Best wishes and regards,
AJ

Last edited by GTO : 25th August 2017 at 19:24. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
AjayJohri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 12:07   #633
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
4. The real issue with Delivery is that if they can't hand it over to me by the 3rd of September (just before Shraddhs begin) and instead offer during Navratras, then the risk of additional 10% GST Cess getting levied becomes very, very real (The Govt is supposed to have a meeting on 7th September, pass an ordinance to modify the current law to enable it raising the max cess from the current 15% to 25%).

This would mean that cost of the Verna will go up by about Rs 1.5L. The Verna may not necessarily see an increase, but at this point, you can't really bet on it
AJ
There was a price protection guaranteed for the first 20K customers of Verna, I am not sure if Hyundai have accounted for the possible GST cess in the price protection guarantee. I hope it does.
Old 25th August 2017, 12:30   #634

Quote:
, then the risk of additional 10% GST Cess getting levied becomes very, very real (The Govt is supposed to have a meeting on 7th September, pass an ordinance to modify the current law to enable it raising the max cess from the current 15% to 25%).

Are you sure a 10 percent cess hike will result in 1.5L price difference?
Also as per dealers in Mumbai, earliest deliveries shall begin around Diwali... So if the cess hike happens it will be most likely be applicable to all.
Old 25th August 2017, 12:40   #635
BHPian

OFF TOPIC Points to be considered with New Verna 2017
it has set new standards for Maruti Suzuki Ciaz and Honda City,its main competitors,
the main focus has been on knowing what Indian customers want,
Hyundai knew Indian customers cannot be taken for a ride and hence they replaced the outdated 4 speed auto with a 6 speed auto and built up a conpletely new car unlike the Honda City which is a mere facelift,
the Maruti Suzuki company i feel has been the smartest,as they haven't rushed up with their Ciaz facelift,and have waited for the Hyundai and Honda to display their Cards first(i mean cars)Maruti ciaz has the most outdated engine of the lot when it comes to power,
Maruti ciaz can now play it safe and can produce a better car with the ciaz facelift,it has to buckle up with the facelift with better engine options and must definitely upgrade their auto transmission from 4 speed to a min 6 speed,
in my personal opinion if one can delay their car purchase one should wait and watch what Maruti Suzuki has to offer with their new Ciaz car,which should happen maybe diwali festive 2017 or jan 2018 during the auto expo,
Please Note i am now where associated with the Maruti suzuki group,i just shared my opinion in making my fellow team bhp members to look at all available options and make their choice accordingly.
vineetg84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 12:57   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok_dhawal View Post
Also as per dealers in Mumbai, earliest deliveries shall begin around Diwali... So if the cess hike happens it will be most likely be applicable to all.
That sounds wrong. Unless you specifically meant for people who would be booking the car now. I had prebooked the Verna and the expected delivery date is around first week of September.
Old 25th August 2017, 13:09   #637
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetg84 View Post
Maruti Suzuki company i feel has been the smartest,as they haven't rushed up with their Ciaz facelift,and have waited for the Hyundai and Honda to display their Cards first(i mean cars)

Maruti ciaz can now play it safe and can produce a better car with the ciaz facelift
Agreed. Even I believe Maruti was waiting it out for Honda and Hyundai to reveal their cards so as not to have any nasty surprises!

That said - Ciaz facelift just CANNOT be a better "car". What makes a better car? Better chasis, better engines, better transmissions, better interiors , better safety, better features etc and it is just impossible for the current Ciaz to match up to the Verna in most of these parameters with just a facelift. Verna will continue to be a better car, when compared to the likes of City and Ciaz.

What Maruti will likely do - is to offer even more car per car (TATA speak) in the facelift. Offer features at par with the City and Verna, but at the price advantage that it enjoys. Ciaz has a firm hold on the value end of the C segment sedan category and they will fight tooth and nail to defend it.

Verna meanwhile should concentrate on stealing sales from the City. Apart from the badge, I see no reason why a customer shouldn't be persuaded to go for the Verna instead of the City - if the ride and handling has been sorted out as the reviews (till now) have mentioned.
Old 25th August 2017, 13:16   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Agreed. Even I believe Maruti was waiting it out for Honda and Hyundai to reveal their cards so as not to have any nasty surprises!

That said - Ciaz facelift just CANNOT be a better "car". What makes a better car? Better chasis, better engines, better transmissions, better interiors , better safety, better features etc and it is just impossible for the current Ciaz to match up to the Verna in most of these parameters with just a facelift. Verna will continue to be a better car, when compared to the likes of City and Ciaz.

What Maruti will likely do - is to offer even more car per car (TATA speak) in the facelift. Offer features at par with the City and Verna, but at the price advantage that it enjoys. Ciaz has a firm hold on the value end of the C segment sedan category and they will fight tooth and nail to defend it.

Verna meanwhile should concentrate on stealing sales from the City. Apart from the badge, I see no reason why a customer shouldn't be persuaded to go for the Verna instead of the City - if the ride and handling has been sorted out as the reviews (till now) have mentioned.
Very well said,Hyundai Verna definitely can have a piece of cake from Honda City's share,and the Maruti Ciaz will manage to be a better car with a completely new platform which is unlikely with their facelift.
Waiting eagerly for the team bhp in depth review of Hyundai Verna 2017,also if the experts can go an extra mile this time and have a comparison review of the Hyundai verna 2017,Honda city 2017 and Ciaz in a separate thread.
Old 25th August 2017, 13:51   #639
Senior - BHPian

Not in the market for one but went and checked out the car with a friend who was interested.

Looks premium , build quality appears to be superior than the outgoing model and they really have loaded it with bells and whistles. In terms of features its almost got everything that Style Plus Octavia has (not considering engines etc here), quite a package.

The friend i went with coincidentally wanted to buy the CTC but dropped it for the Verna more or less instantly after seeing the car. The test drive done a day later only added to the experience for him.

He did a pre-book, delivery atleast for the Gurgaon area is being quoted as September as some have mentioned and not Diwali.
Old 25th August 2017, 14:02   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
170mm is unladen GC. I saw in dealers TV display yesterday. Will try to get a screen grab if possible from my SA
Thanks.

TD'ed the *petrol* manual tranny NexGen Verna today at Advaith Hyundai today (I don't want a diesel in this segment). The sales guy said the unladen GC is 165 mm, maybe he was misinformed?

Pros have already been discussed, wont repeat.

Cons:
- The acceleration wasn't fast enough for my liking. Also, the engine is very noisy at city speeds during pickup. I thought the 1.6 liter engine won't struggle and therefore would make less noise, but that was not to be. My 5 year old 1.6 liter SX4 petrol makes slightly lesser noise in a similar city acceleration.
- Rear leg room very cramped. Furthermore, the front seats have some kind of plastic backing behind them (surrounding the seat pockets), so its uncomfortable on the knees when knees occasionally bang into it. This plastic backing is there in Elantra too, but the leg room is ample there, so not an issue there (well except safety: in an accident, rear passenger would be thrown against the back of the front seat. It would feel like being whacked with a plastic plate!)
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 15:09   #641
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
In terms of features its almost got everything that Style Plus Octavia has (not considering engines etc here), quite a package.
Forget the Octavia - the Elantra (especially the diesel) suddenly looks dead meat in comparison to the new Verna!

Verna looks almost like the Elantra, gets most features including 6 airbags, ventilated seats, sunroof etc, gets the same diesel engine with the same transmissions etc - at a huge price advantage.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 15:22   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetg84 View Post
Hyundai knew Indian customers cannot be taken for a ride and hence they replaced the outdated 4 speed auto with a 6 speed auto and built up a conpletely new car unlike the Honda City which is a mere facelift,
It has nothing to do with Hyundai knowing the Indian Customer at all regarding the completely new car. The Product lifecycle of Honda and Maruti/Nexa do not match with Hyundai. In 2014 Honda and Maruti both launched brand new cars. In 2017 both these companies launched the facelifts (Maruti will do so before end of the year).

Hyundai did a facelift in 2014 and they are now launching the new model. When Honda and Maruti launch a brand new model in 2020, Hyundai will do a facelift. Its just that the Product lifecycle being followed is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
- Rear leg room very cramped. Furthermore, the front seats have some kind of plastic backing behind them (surrounding the seat pockets), so its uncomfortable on the knees when knees occasionally bang into it. This plastic backing is there in Elantra too, but the leg room is ample there, so not an issue there (well except safety: in an accident, rear passenger would be thrown against the back of the front seat. It would feel like being whacked with a plastic plate!)
Looks like this is a common complaint from most of the people who are test driving the Verna. Even though they have increased the wheelbase, the same has not been translated into usable rear seat space it appears. I am reminded of a colleague of my mine who had the 2011 Verna (which he sold recently and went for a Duster Automatic) and the two ladies in his life (his wife and mother) used to fight to sit in the front seat to avoid the horrible rear seat . I hope its not as bad as it used to be...even though it has not turned out to be as good as what it was expected to be...
Old 25th August 2017, 16:08   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Forget the Octavia - the Elantra (especially the diesel) suddenly looks dead meat in comparison to the new Verna!

Verna looks almost like the Elantra, gets most features including 6 airbags, ventilated seats, sunroof etc, gets the same diesel engine with the same transmissions etc - at a huge price advantage.
Definitely verna is going to cannibalize on the base elantra variant. It is loaded with features upto the hilt and almost all features of topend elantra are there and in fact even more in verna.

By lower prices it will definitely turn up the heat on the Honda City too. Only the rear seat space is the main difference between city and verna now

The rear seat space is definitely on lower side in verna even though the rear of the front seats has contoured plastic for shin and leg. But the rear seat is infact comfortable with adequate thigh support unlike some cars which give small base seat to make rear room look adequate or big.

Last edited by drashkum : 25th August 2017 at 16:11.
drashkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 16:31   #644
BHPian

I test drove the diesel auto today at Orion Hyundai Gurgaon, they will get petrol in a few days. The delivery is beginning as early as next week. I must say coming from a linea steering does feel light but feedback is great and it weighs up nicely, the pickup of 1.6 diesel is superb even in auto it feels like petrol. But I must point out that front seats are not as comfortable as Honda or linea.

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 25th August 2017 at 16:36.
Mindgrinder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 17:27   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
Definitely verna is going to cannibalize on the base elantra variant. It is loaded with features upto the hilt and almost all features of topend elantra are there and in fact even more in verna.

By lower prices it will definitely turn up the heat on the Honda City too. Only the rear seat space is the main difference between city and verna now

The rear seat space is definitely on lower side in verna even though the rear of the front seats has contoured plastic for shin and leg. But the rear seat is infact comfortable with adequate thigh support unlike some cars which give small base seat to make rear room look adequate or big.
Well, I feel Hyundai *purposely* reduced the rear space in the NexGen Verna. If they hadn't done that, then probably no one would go for the Elantra. So just to keep Elantra *alive*, they probably did this.

Thus, practically speaking (Indian driving conditions), the rear seat space is the only differentiating factor bween the Verna and Elantra. And they couldn't differentiate the two models any more than that, bcoz else the Verna wouldn't be competitive with the City. After all, Verna is expected to be a higher volume selling car (than Elantra) and rake in more overall moolah for Hyundai than Elantra, so they had to prioritize the Verna's "ability to sell" over the Elantra's. And yet not totally kill Elantra.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks