Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 17:14   #286
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Dear All,

Request help from fellow Tharians

I have started noticing crazy noise while releasing clutch in the 1st gear. It sounds similar to a falling tree - thak thak thak. Subsequent gear changes are ok but I need to double check and confirm.

Still I am not happy with annoying noise (Ktak) with each gear change and the force I have to apply.

One of the ASC told me its due to improper disengage of 4W to 2W. I had moved to 4W-H and changed it back to 2W but no respite. Off late, makes krrrr noise while shifting the gear lever to reverse also.

Funny thing is, the behavior is not consistent. I have noticed it when the engine is hot, seems ok when its cool (we know the Thar is hot and cool at the same time )

This is a facelifted Thar purchased last year and the 1st service is done.

Begging for help
Old 4th April 2016, 12:53   #287
BHPian

Hi Guys,

recently when i start my Thar (Nov'15 model), i let it idle for 60-90 seconds and then switch on the AC.
There is a very audible squeaky noise and the compressor comes on. Atleast im guessing thats the compressor kicking in.
This only happens on the first start of the day.

has anyone faced a similar issue ? and is this something to be worried about.

Also Jay had mentioned to me that if you remove the rear bench seats , the soft top flapping is greatly reduced, since the soft top doesnt hit the benches. Has anyone else tried this ? anyone who has switched their side benches for front facing seats ?

The flapping is a big pain for my long highway drives which is every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks in advance

cheers

Kundan
Old 5th April 2016, 12:28   #288
BHPian

Mods pardon the back to back posts

Yesterday i removed the rear side facing benches on my Thar. Its a fairly simple process, 5 nuts on each side have to be removed.

Went for a 35km drive on the highway today reaching speeds of 120 kmph. The flapping noise has been reduced considerably. There is minor noise of the wind hitting the softtop but the main flapping caused by the soft top hitting the benches is gone.

Next week i will be in Delhi where i plan to get a single Captain seat installed at the back. Leaving rest of the space for luggage.

Any inputs on good mechanics where i can get my seat installed.

thanks

Kundan
Old 9th April 2016, 08:38   #289
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

How does the MLD work in Thar? Does is need to be activated using a lever or something?
Old 9th April 2016, 09:41   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

How does the MLD work in Thar? Does is need to be activated using a lever or something?
No levers or anything required. It is auto-engaging when needed. This video is self-explanatory.

johy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 20:16   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
No levers or anything required. It is auto-engaging when needed. This video is self-explanatory.
How would this be different from the LSD on my Safari?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th July 2016 at 14:07. Reason: Removed video tag
Old 10th April 2016, 08:13   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
How would this be different from the LSD on my Safari?
LSD never locks completely. It always allows some slippage but limits the slippage hence the name Limited Slip Differential.

Lockers completely lock the differential allowing 50% of power to go to each of the wheels on the axle. In the Thar, after you are done, I think you need to drive in reverse slowly to disengage the lockers, just like with the automatic free wheeling hubs.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 10th April 2016 at 08:13. Reason: spelling.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 08:46   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
LSD never locks completely. It always allows some slippage but limits the slippage hence the name Limited Slip Differential.

Lockers completely lock the differential allowing 50% of power to go to each of the wheels on the axle. In the Thar, after you are done, I think you need to drive in reverse slowly to disengage the lockers, just like with the automatic free wheeling hubs.
I think its the same in the Safari too, its mandatory to drive in reverse for 10 meters or so, to unlock the hubs, and the 4x4 symbol disappears in the console. this is only after one uses 4x4 low.
Old 10th April 2016, 09:10   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I think its the same in the Safari too
In the Safari & Scorpio 4x4, you drive in reverse to disengage the front free wheeling hubs, not to disengage the LSD. LSD is by default open and engages only when slippage is detected.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 13:46   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

Got it. Thanks!

Can one of the owners here please confirm the part about the need to reverse for disengaging the diff lock? I doubt it since there is no sure-short way to know if the diff did get locked, as there is no indicator for the same. I might be wrong though.

Last edited by cool_dube : 10th April 2016 at 13:47.
Old 10th April 2016, 15:05   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can one of the owners here please confirm the part about the need to reverse for disengaging the diff lock?
Eaton supplies the MLD for the Thar & Scorpio (after market for Scorpio). One of our D-Bhpian's SS-Traveller had the same unit installed on his 4x4 Scorpio. Please check his thread in 4x4 Vehicles section to get more details on the unit.
Old 16th April 2016, 15:52   #297
BHPian

I have a question as to the ideal specs of alloys for the Thar. I find most of the Chinese/ Taiwanese alloys in 16" to be wider at 8J. And I find some brands like Neo have 16 x 6.5J

Now with wider alloys (16 x 8J), while the Thar feels more stable with a larger footprint, I think the turning at slow parking speeds and turning radius is adversely affected.

So should one be sticking to 16x 6.5J, and with what offset?
Old 20th April 2016, 15:18   #298
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question as to the ideal specs of alloys for the Thar. I find most of the Chinese/ Taiwanese alloys in 16" to be wider at 8J. And I find some brands like Neo have 16 x 6.5J

Now with wider alloys (16 x 8J), while the Thar feels more stable with a larger footprint, I think the turning at slow parking speeds and turning radius is adversely affected.

So should one be sticking to 16x 6.5J, and with what offset?
Hi Johy,

with 16 inchers and 8J are your tyres touching the Thar body or wheel arch?

i switched to the stock size Michelin AT's but still deciding on the alloys/ steelies to go in for

thanks

Kundan
Old 20th April 2016, 15:23   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Johy,

with 16 inchers and 8J are your tyres touching the Thar body or wheel arch?

i switched to the stock size Michelin AT's but still deciding on the alloys/ steelies to go in for

thanks

Kundan
Hi Kundan,

With 16 x 8J, no, they don't touch the body or wheel arch. However, the turning radius has increased a bit I feel, and the front end has become a bit "heavy."

Another question I had in regards to LED lights. I recently changed to LED headlights (for one day). Although the light was claimed to the 50W, the output was not good. I would say 30% of my current Osram Nighbreakers However, the lights looked very good, I must say.

All it did was throw glare into incoming traffic (in low as well as high beam). Does anyone know of some good LED headlamps which work well for the Thar?
Old 20th April 2016, 15:35   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kundan,

With 16 x 8J, no, they don't touch the body or wheel arch. However, the turning radius has increased a bit I feel, and the front end has become a bit "heavy."

Another question I had in regards to LED lights. I recently changed to LED headlights (for one day). Although the light was claimed to the 50W, the output was not good. I would say 30% of my current Osram Nighbreakers However, the lights looked very good, I must say.

All it did was throw glare into incoming traffic (in low as well as high beam). Does anyone know of some good LED headlamps which work well for the Thar?
Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry i dont have any idea about LED lights. i have installed Hella fog lamps on the bumper and they are helpful, as the stock headlights are terrible.

If i remember Manveet on his thread had mentioned the make & model of headlight uprgrades.You could refer to that

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks