Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:40   #271
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Johy,

the only "fix" (if you can call it that), when i turn on the ignition, wait for a split second before cranking the engine. in that 1-2 seconds you will see your fuel needle settle in its proper position. If you go too fast from ignition to engine on, i have noticed the fuel needle falls dead.

Till now the engine temperature gauge has been ok on mine but as a precaution i will have it checked tomorrow. my Thar is going for its first service.

cheers

Kundan
You wait for a few seconds anyway before cranking the engine, you have to wait for the heater coil sign to go off, electronics never was the strong point of tata n mahindra imo
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:18   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I have a question for other Thar owners. Some of you must have experienced a problem with the fuel gauze in that it does not always display the correct fuel level (A couple of times even after I had filled up quite a lot of fuel, the needle was still not going up). In fact, once the same thing happened with the temperature gauze (it was showing Cold even after running for a while . It got fixed after I turned off the ignition and restarted the Thar.
Hi Johy, I have never faced this issue till date. Maybe because I follow the same method mentioned by Kundan here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Johy,
the only "fix" (if you can call it that), when i turn on the ignition, wait for a split second before cranking the engine. in that 1-2 seconds you will see your fuel needle settle in its proper position. If you go too fast from ignition to engine on, i have noticed the fuel needle falls dead.

Till now the engine temperature gauge has been ok on mine but as a precaution i will have it checked tomorrow. my Thar is going for its first service.

cheers

Kundan
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 06:26   #273
BHPian

Recently purchased wrangler type back lights to install, but they don't have any provision for the turn signal! It has a white portion for the reverse, and red portion serves 2 purposes of regular lights and a brake light function, but the turn signal indicator is missing, weird how can manufacturer make these incomplete lights, got them on eBay, in the process of returning them. ironically, they say all such lights are the same, there goes one dream !
Old 17th February 2016, 07:26   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Recently purchased wrangler type back lights to install, but they don't have any provision for the turn signal !
Weird how can manufacturer make these incomplete lights.
Ironically, they say all such lights are the same.
The lights aren't incomplete, that's how most tail lights here are.
While the front turn signals have to be amber, the ones at the rear can be either red or amber.
So most of the rear tail lamps are what are called "combination" lamps & the brake light bulbs are also the turn signal bulbs.
For your problem, you could try looking for the very same tail lights in EU-Spec, which mandate amber rear turn signals - these should have dedicated turn signal bulbs at the rear.
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 08:27   #275
BHPian

Hi guys, i am going to see a pre owned Thar CRDe 2015 model with less than 1000 kms on ODO for 8 lakhs, i seek your help on what things i need to check in the car before taking a buying decision and what things i should be careful of.
(I have no prior experience in 4x4 s)
Old 17th February 2016, 09:41   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You wait for a few seconds anyway before cranking the engine, you have to wait for the heater coil sign to go off, electronics never was the strong point of tata n mahindra imo
It's not about electronics being a strong point etc, every modern car does a self test of all components before being ready for start. Hence it is required to wait a few seconds. One can't simply kick the tyre light the fire and off we go.
Always wait for all amber and red lights except for parking brake to switch off before you crank
Old 17th February 2016, 10:13   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
It's not about electronics being a strong point etc, every modern car does a self test of all components before being ready for start. Hence it is required to wait a few seconds. One can't simply kick the tyre light the fire and off we go.
Always wait for all amber and red lights except for parking brake to switch off before you crank
Do understand it, my point was you have to wait anyway for a few seconds for the heater coil to go off, and that's all the time required by the initial pre start system check. And i still maintain, electronics of tata n mahindra are not in league with other car companies ( yesterday the fuel tank needle went completely dead, again started functioning on next start up, and this does not have anything to wih the initial wait period)

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
The lights aren't incomplete, that's how most tail lights here are.
While the front turn signals have to be amber, the ones at the rear can be either red or amber.
So most of the rear tail lamps are what are called "combination" lamps & the brake light bulbs are also the turn signal bulbs.
For your problem, you could try looking for the very same tail lights in EU-Spec, which mandate amber rear turn signals - these should have dedicated turn signal bulbs at the rear.
Colour doesn't matter to me, if there's no orange there for the turn signal but atleast there's wiring provided for the same light (red or white) to perform two functions instead of one, i'm totally ok with it. But there are only 3 types of lights/functions. One is white light for back gear, one is a steady red for regular light and one blinking red for brake i presume, that,s it, how to do the turn signal when there's no extra light or wire provided? Its an incomplete light, the vendor too confirmed later on. :(
Old 17th February 2016, 10:18   #278
BHPian

Another question for pre that owners or Mr. Behram, how many grease points are there in the Thar. I could see two, one in each shaft, rear and front wheels. Any other point that needs to be lubricated periodically? How often do the shaft points needs to greased, after how many kms. Thank you
Old 17th February 2016, 10:41   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do understand it, my point was you have to wait anyway for a few seconds for the heater coil to go off, and that's all the time required by the initial pre start system check. And i still maintain, electronics of tata n mahindra are not in league with other car companies ( yesterday the fuel tank needle went completely dead, again started functioning on next start up,. :(
I don't know about Mahindra but I have never faced issues like this on my cars. Forget electronics, I didn't have a blown bulb or fuse too. So can't blame Tata. BTW have you read about shockers from Skoda or BMW?? I believe a djinn is installed in Skoda cars foc
Old 18th February 2016, 00:19   #280
BHPian

I've got these wrangler type lights from eBay and managed to retrofit a turn signal in them, just need a good electrical guy to help you do it!

Quote:
Recently purchased wrangler type back lights to install, but they don't have any provision for the turn signal! It has a white portion for the reverse, and red portion serves 2 purposes of regular lights and a brake light function, but the turn signal indicator is missing, weird how can manufacturer make these incomplete lights, got them on eBay, in the process of returning them. ironically, they say all such lights are the same, there goes one dream !
Old 18th February 2016, 09:42   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
I've got these wrangler type lights from eBay and managed to retrofit a turn signal in them, just need a good electrical guy to help you do it!
Cool, could you be little more specific, or ask the guy himself if he lives close by.
Old 18th February 2016, 20:10   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.......a steady red for regular light and one blinking red for brake i presume......
The blinking RED is the turn indicator.

Look at any American car with a similar setup (no separate amber turn signals in the rear cluster), and you'll find the relevant rear lamp starts blinking when you turn on that side's indicator, while the other side remains a steady RED (intensity depending on whether brakes are applied or not, same as any other tail lamp cluster).

P.S. Confused the hell out of me for a few mins when I first drove in the US

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th February 2016 at 20:15.
Old 19th February 2016, 16:19   #283
BHPian

I got the retrofitting done in Delhi, since I don't live there I really can't ask the mechanic. I have taken a picture of the assembly, hopefully it will help you compare and get it done yourself if you want to. Unlike me, don't put the rear lights upside down

Quote:
Cool, could you be little more specific, or ask the guy himself if he lives close by.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-img_0657.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-img_0659.jpg  

Old 21st February 2016, 12:03   #284
BHPian

Ok, got it done finally. had to do little jugard, but fitted. The back up white lamp now also functions as indicator. Looks good.
Any idea on the lubrication part, the drive shaft?
Old 11th March 2016, 14:16   #285
BHPian

All- Currently I'm hunting for a pre-owned Thar. I have just come across a 2010 model from the very first lot. Are there any differences between the initial (2010) model and those of 2013/2014 ones apart from engine immobiliser, AC and better brakes? I'm I can retrofit AC and brake boosters and I don't mind lack of immobiliser. Should I go for it or keep looking for newer models?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks