Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2015, 16:21   #136
BHPian

I want to test drive the new Thar and want to get one as an occasional lifestyle vehicle. Already have a Fortuner and jazz for the other stuff. Can anyone tell me where can I get to experience the thar in flesh for a TD in NCR. I went to bhasin motors on Mathura Road and they only had a price list and did not have a TD car. Same was the case with the dealer in Meerut. He quoted 4lakh rupees deposit and then I can get the car in 1-1.5 month. Don't want to take the car without a TD although I had to do the same with the fortuner.
Old 2nd October 2015, 20:26   #137
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I want to test drive the new Thar and want to get one as an occasional lifestyle vehicle. Already have a Fortuner and jazz for the other stuff. Can anyone tell me where can I get to experience the thar in flesh for a TD in NCR. I went to bhasin motors on Mathura Road and they only had a price list and did not have a TD car. Same was the case with the dealer in Meerut. He quoted 4lakh rupees deposit and then I can get the car in 1-1.5 month. Don't want to take the car without a TD although I had to do the same with the fortuner.
Lol, exactly this was response I got when I asked for a test drive, that they don't get vehicles for TD. My response too was similar, how can I decide if I want to buy it if I can't have a TD! But anyway, pulled some strings in the management n got a TD. But overall a pathetic, service.
Old 2nd October 2015, 21:54   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Lol, exactly this was response I got when I asked for a test drive, that they don't get vehicles for TD. My response too was similar, how can I decide if I want to buy it if I can't have a TD! But anyway, pulled some strings in the management n got a TD. But overall a pathetic, service.
Same happened to me. I had gone to GSP Motors and Sterling in Gurgaon. I mentioned this some posts back. Sterling said, they would take me to their PDI unit and let me "see" one, but of course I cannot TD. How can one buy a vehicle without a TD.
Old 7th October 2015, 17:00   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Mechanical: Eaton’s MLD is very effective and for a comparison we drove old and new version to rock filled incline and MLD did work and new Thar completed the incline with less trouble (though both the Thar’s struggled to climb where other Jeeps were going smoothly). I tried new Thar in multiple obstacles and performance was almost same with only benefit of MLD in some scenarios.
Shubhendra Singh
Thanks for your driving impressions, Shubhendra!

Could you please elaborate on "...new Thar completed the incline with less trouble (though both the Thar’s struggled to climb where other Jeeps were going smoothly)."

Are you referring to current model Jeep Chryslers here? Does the Thar struggle in proper off-road environments? If you had to compare the Thar off-road abilities with any other vehicle available in India, which one would that be?

Thanks!
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 17:12   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post

Are you referring to current model Jeep Chryslers here? Does the Thar struggle in proper off-road environments? If you had to compare the Thar off-road abilities with any other vehicle available in India, which one would that be?

Thanks!
I believe, by old Jeeps, he is referring to the 20+ year old rust buckets plying around, which is more offroad worthy than the Thar. Especially the SWD ones.
Old 7th October 2015, 18:28   #141
BHPian

Noob Query

How practical and safe is the soft top canopy?

The way I see it, the canopy can be closed only with velcro and zippers, which anyone can open anywhere! I don't think I can keep my grocery shopping bag or my laptop bag in the back of my Thar and expect it to be there when I get back an hour later..!? Is there a way to solve this, without having to go for a hardtop?

I don't think the Thar can be a daily driver till this issue is sorted out. At 9+ lac INR on road, it is just too expensive a toy for the common man still.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 05:57   #142
BHPian

Would a normal double din fit? The curved ' Thar ' plate made me think twice how a double din woulf fit n finally look once that plate is removed.
The engine oil used by mahindra is 'CH' grade, which once warranty period is over, can be switched to the better grade 'CI' 15/40
Is there enough space on the front door panels to fit 6" speakers without messing with window rolling mechanism?
Recently in earlier models it was mentioned the older auto locking hubs of 4x4 sometimes did not dis engage sometimes even when out of 4x4 mode, the present system too suffers from any such thing or its all sorted out fool proof?
Lastly, AT tires vs HT, in the same company recommend size 235/70r 16
Old 8th October 2015, 08:22   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Lastly, AT tires vs HT, in the same company recommend size 235/70r 16
I will leave the other questions to the experts, but I swapped to Michelin LTX AT2 yesterday in stock size, and although it is early days, I am liking the ride quality even on Tarmac! The white lettering on the Michelins look cool as well.

The double-din should fit well as per the accessories guy whom I spoke to yesterday. Will know after installation probably end of this week/early next week.

I would like to add a question for folks. Any ideas for the following:

1) Lock for stepney.
2) Lock for rear gate.

Last edited by johy : 8th October 2015 at 08:35. Reason: Added questions
johy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:16   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
This past Tuesday I called up and asked Koncept Automobiles in Safdarjung Enclave in Delhi and they do have a TD Thar available. I'm going there within the next couple of days to get my TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Will know after installation probably end of this week/early next week.
If possible, please post a picture. Would love to see it!

Last edited by Tanmay K : 8th October 2015 at 09:31.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:54   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
For us Jeep means old Jeeps which came before Thar, Chrysler Jeeps are distant dream as of now.
If you are talking about brand new vehicle, than Maruti Gypsy. We dont have much options available in the market. but if objective is to buy a good offroader and not a Jeep lookalike than Gypsy or Thar Di.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 8th October 2015, 11:29   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
This past Tuesday I called up and asked Koncept Automobiles in Safdarjung Enclave in Delhi and they do have a TD Thar available. I'm going there within the next couple of days to get my TD.
That should be nice, to get a TD in the NCR region. If possible do ask them what options they have for a HT installation. I might also contact them after your report in, regarding the TD customer service you receive. Do let us know.
Old 8th October 2015, 13:46   #147
BHPian

Another price hike :( sigh 10,000 increase
Old 8th October 2015, 14:14   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Another price hike :( sigh 10,000 increase
All Mahindra vehicles have seen a price increase this October.
Old 9th October 2015, 04:41   #149
BHPian

Our Thar is only a few days old now. Have not taken it out much because it is still not registered and still on TC number. Some of you may have noticed that in the new Thar the gear shift lever is hitting the handbrake. Although I did not face the issue, this is what happened a couple of times - when I was shifting from 3rd to 4th gear, the 4th gear would not engage (that dreaded grinding noise). Stopped the Thar to find out what was happening. The issue I suspect was the handbrake was not going back fully down and fouling with the gear shifter. The other possibility is that the hand brake lever is "jumping up" from the resting position as it is loose - and subsequently obstruching the movement of the gear shifter lever. Anyone noticed this? And any pointers? Will highlight it once to the workshop guys.

Last edited by johy : 9th October 2015 at 04:58.
Old 9th October 2015, 12:13   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I believe, by old Jeeps, he is referring to the 20+ year old rust buckets plying around, which is more offroad worthy than the Thar. Especially the SWD ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
For us Jeep means old Jeeps which came before Thar, Chrysler Jeeps are distant dream as of now.
If you are talking about brand new vehicle, than Maruti Gypsy. We dont have much options available in the market. but if objective is to buy a good offroader and not a Jeep lookalike than Gypsy or Thar Di.
Thanks! Sorry for the noob queries; a few clarifications:
- I can understand the Willys may have been easier to fix if something broke down, and lack of electronics meant there were fewer things to fix, but in pure off-road capability, are you saying that they were superior to the Thar? So they can go where a Thar would struggle? Would really appreciate if you could elaborate on this.
- To clarify, in your experience, is the Gypsy superior to the Thar or at the same level, in off-road ability?
- If I may, in your opinion, is Thar even a proper 4 x 4?
- Maybe off topic, but do you think any of us will be making this video about the Thar a couple of decades down?

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks