Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2015, 12:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar CRDe facelift launched at Rs. 8.03 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
The console not only looks neat but is functional at the same time.
Overall, loved what I saw and would rate it a good 8.5/10 for the efforts taken.
These offerings are quite good. I really liked the way interiors are placed. They are a must to have changes. Exteriors are something which are good to have. I have a question. Can we install the new dashboard, demister in our old Thar. Second, Mahindra is stating that the rear canopy is removable. What is so special about it? It is removable in the current state as well.

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2015 at 15:52. Reason: Language
ruchirtnt is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th July 2015, 13:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
These offerings are quite good. I really liked the way interiors are placed. They are a must to have changes. Exteriors are something which are good to have. I have a question. Can we install the new dashboard, demister in our old Thar. Second, Mahindra is stating that the rear canopy is removable. What is so special about it? It is removable in the current state as well.
Hi Ruchir,

The Demister would be difficult to instal in the old Thar as it will involve lot of electrical modifications, including a set of new fuses and relays.

Also, the new dash dimensions seems pretty different from the existing Thar.

Pay special attention to the AC vents and the console itself, i doubt if you can retro fit the new on the old without major modifications!!

Old Thar Interior Snap(pay attention to the AC louvres here)
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-42fa7e859e439f4cfdc1abea54349765_555x416_1.jpg

The Facelift Thar Interiors:
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-images.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2015 at 15:53. Reason: Quoted post edited
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 13:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Has the rear leaf springs been replaced with proper independent rear suspension + shocks ?
Old 24th July 2015, 13:51   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Has the rear leaf springs been replaced with proper independent rear suspension + shocks ?
Nope.

Replacing the dash also means replacing the switches,wiring,connectors and maybe the steering too. It will cost a lot for sure.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 14:05   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I quite like what they have done at the rear. Front, though hideous, can be corrected after purchase. One thing that I find amusing is, they undertook all these changes to make the Thar more comfy, yet they are still offering manually winding windows in an 8L+ vehicle.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 16:00   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gosh, over the years, the Thar has only gotten more & more expensive, hasn't it. 8 lakhs is steep for such a basic Jeep.

Nonetheless, I like the new Thar and it's a definitely step forward. Don't think too much of the bumper, but that's easy to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
A true jeeper gave us a simple Jeep with character. The bloody unimaginable fools at Mahindra, in his absence, has turned it to a bling vehicle, proper to be driven by ladies to clubs. Thar is lost forever
Buddy,

What exactly are you talking about?

1. With the locking diff, the new Thar is actually a better offroader than the earlier one.

2. Ladies & clubs? Give us a break. I own a lightweight, old-school SWB Jeep with solid axles and a reputation of being able to go anywhere & do anything. Still, I can tell you that the Thar is an awesome offroader and can do 95% of the stuff you ask of it. Please stop making such baseless comments, especially those discriminating against a particular sex.

And if ladies do want to take the Thar to the club, what's wrong with that? Their ride, their wish. Is it mandatory for every Porsche owner to drive at 300 kph everyday?

3. The Thar is NOT lost forever. Quite the contrary...it's with improvements such as these that it'll live longer (except for the price increases though...there's a limit to how high in $$$ they can go with the Thar!).
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 16:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

2. Ladies & clubs? Give us a break. I own a lightweight, old-school SWB Jeep with solid axles and a reputation of being able to go anywhere & do anything. Still, I can tell you that the Thar is an awesome offroader and can do 95% of the stuff you ask of it. Please stop making such baseless comments, especially those discriminating against a particular sex.

And if ladies do want to take the Thar to the club, what's wrong with that? Their ride, their wish. Is it mandatory for every Porsche owner to drive at 300 kph everyday?
).
well said GTO !

will you & the team be doing an official review of this 2015 Thar ? When can we expect it, incase there is one planned

thanks

K
Old 24th July 2015, 16:56   #53
BHPian

The New Thar CRDe. here is the video link. Looks great in this video
Nilay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 19:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

The interior upgrade should attract a good section of buyers; price wise it was already overpriced, so the relative price increase is proportionate with added offerings. Rear sloping was an unnecessary step but that was anyways present in newer models of pre-facelift version. New front seats look better but still doubt how comfortable these would be. As per handbrake is concerned, not sure whether the functionality has increased or only the enclosure has been added. Before the launch it was reported that hard top would come as an option. But doesn't look like it is there. Or have I missed it?
Old 24th July 2015, 20:03   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Please stop making such baseless comments, especially those discriminating against a particular sex.
I expressed MY opinion and stand by what I said.Don't understand the so called "discrimination" in saying that the new Thar is fit to be driven by fashionable ladies.I will correct myself by saying that ladies can drive to clubs even in Unimogs. What I said is that the THAR has lost it's simplicity, quintessential offroading Jeep character and raw appeal. If it appeals to you even more than before, good and fair.
Ashley Nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 23:04   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
What I said is that the THAR has lost it's simplicity, quintessential offroading Jeep character and raw appeal.
Huh? Better interiors make a Jeep lose character? Oh, come on! If you want raw appeal, buy the 2015 Thar and throw the dashboard out. That ought to give you raw appeal . I hope you aren't talking about the bumper because that's the easiest to change. 'Quintessential offroading'? The 2015 Thar is a better offroader than the 2011, so I don't accept that statement.

What you say about the 2015 Thar is what MM550 owners said about the original 2011 Thar. It never stops with Jeep lovers. Better that Jeepers start accepting change because, if it brings more people to the Jeep experience, that's better.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 23:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Huh? Better interiors make a Jeep lose character? Oh, come on! If you want raw appeal, buy the 2015 Thar and throw the dashboard out. That ought to give you raw appeal . I hope you aren't talking about the bumper because that's the easiest to change. 'Quintessential offroading'? The 2015 Thar is a better offroader than the 2011, so I don't accept that statement.

What you say about the 2015 Thar is what MM550 owners said about the original 2011 Thar. It never stops with Jeep lovers. Better that Jeepers start accepting change because, if it brings more people to the Jeep experience, that's better.
The fact that the Thar has now found acceptance in the quintessential off-roading group is that a lot of MM550 earlier proudly built are now in the classified section. No one has time to stay in the garage every week. People now want it as a daily drive as well as a weekend drive without a thought. A ride which they can plough into an off-road route without a thought and then come out, zoom on the highway and head to a nice cafe to spend time with family.
If quintessential off-roader is a person only concerned with off-roading and not life, then he's a fool! Off-roading is an activity like other small parts of life, not life itself.
Too much rant on wannabe Facebook off-roaders. Coming back to the Thar, as I said in the first post I made about the new thar, I was shocked to see the new bumper but at the same time I'm happy that it can be ripped off and the interiors are such that it will find more acceptance with the family which is the primary priority in people with a life.
navpreet318 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 23:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

The only reason i dumped my Classic over 12 years ago was because i spent more time with it at the mechanics. Most jeepers seem to think that being a jeeper means you need to rough it and sweat it out without creature comforts. I beg to differ. This Thar makes me want to go and have a second look. It seems to be better than the earlier version I test drove about 15 months ago. Rear diff locks are a welcome addition if they will work reliably.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 23:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
You are confusing between front auto hub locks, 4WD transfer case and rear diff lock. No! Thar wont automatically shift to 4WD mode, you need to engage transfer case for that by moving lever from 2H-> 4H -> 4L. Front hub locks then click to lock and provide power to front wheels. Rear diff lock activates only when one of the rear wheels loose traction (Owner manual says when the RPM difference is >100 between the rear wheels). So no problem driving Thar in 2H mode in traffic. Oh and owners manual says that there is actually an indicator light in the center console to show whether 4H or 4L mode is engaged.
Thanks Vaspro, For some reason, i thought this is an automatic 4WD where-in the 4WD gets engaged automatically when the RPM difference increases. Also, i was reading a review thread where the owner had trouble dis-engaging the 4WD and had to reverse the vehicle and maybe i was biased by that review.

Thanks for clearing my doubts. I see that there is a seperate lever to engage the 4WD.

Regards,
Manish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
It is "Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs" in the Rear. The salesman at India Garage claimed that the suspension has actually improved as compared to the earlier Thar.

I'm hoping that Mahindra launches a limited edition "Thar" with the following much desired features.

- 2.2 MHawk Engine.
- 6 Speed Gearbox.
- Multi-Link Coil Spring Suspension with Anti-Roll Bar
- Plastic Cladding under the Wheel Arches and underbody to prevent metal Rusting.
- Grills for head-lamp & tail-lamps
- Winch & Snorkel.
- A White-colored Rexine / Artificial Leather removable Canopy.

Regards,
Manish

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th July 2015 at 10:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 25th July 2015, 00:07   #60
BHPian

The Old Thar as per me was basic and gave a very rough look, but the New Thar looks a lot better to me atleast. The interiors have improved and as per me improved a lot, this simply signifies that Mahindra knows that people were buying it for the basic dull look, but now people will buy because it can be used for everyday usage as well. I will be happy to have this and take it to office. The wider stance of the New Thar as per me looks more robust. Plastic bumpers are a big blow but they are the first thing we have to change right. Fender extensions would have been given after testing for water splash so again a good thing. Bigger footrest makes it look good and more practical. Basically the cosmetics changes done by Mahindra are basically to bring in more customers who can have Thar as their first 4 wheels and use it for various purpose. Like how before the Thar was considered as Second Car - to be used for specific purpose - touring, offroading, etc. But somehow I like it will take a test drive this weekend and see. Also wanted to know to be sure - any tweak in the engine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks