Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 14:43   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched

@smartcat - BRV middle row is strictly 2 seater (with wide arm rest). It cannot take 3 people, hope you confirmed that.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 14:45   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Buddy, have you seen how the steering wheel is leather wrapped? Requires the airbag module, steering wheel controls all to be dismantled and put back in place.
This is not a pretty sight with a brand new car! The below thread shows work in progress on the same steering (Old Jazz steering is shared with new BRV).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...ml#post3963124

One other way is to stitch the leather around the wheel without following the original steering wheel inset design. Like steering wheel covers, but made in leather. That is easy, but is definitely not even close to OE levels of look and finish.
"Not even close" ? you mean to say difference of 20-80 right ? I say its other way round 80-20. For reference the leather wrapping of Honda's steering OE is not that good to start with. Second, here is a DIY video of the same steering CVT BR-V in a Honda.

Yes its not 100% fit and finish of OE but "not even close" isn't true either. I can't see anyone changing their car buying decision based on finish of the leather wrapping on the steering

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2016 at 09:54. Reason: Attributing quote to the correct member (CrAzY dRiVer, not Karthik Chandra)
Old 11th May 2016, 15:09   #438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
@smartcat - BRV middle row is strictly 2 seater (with wide arm rest). It cannot take 3 people, hope you confirmed that.
The middle row of BR-V is narrower than my old Civic, but I did not find any difference between BR-V and my friend's Duster. I'm guessing this is the norm in cars of this price range.

From a purely practical point of view though, narrow middle seat + decent boot space is better than wide middle row + no boot space (XUV 500). The top end Innova Crysta ZX has only 2 seats in the middle row, by the way!

Narrow middle row in a 7 seater like BR-V can easily be managed with proper sitting positions for well-fed adults, medium-sized adults, thin adults, young adults and children.
Old 11th May 2016, 15:17   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
But for those who can afford it, for people whom Rs. 3 lacs here and there doesn't matter, XUV 500 W6 AT and Innova Crysta AT (base model) are obviously better alternatives to BR-V AT.

Why not Lodgy? ( I am assuming you are choosing BRV for the 7 seats). It is in the same price range, similar or more space, better build and ride, similar features except for the boxiness

Edit : I read your post again, you want an AT!

Last edited by Deep Blue : 11th May 2016 at 15:19.
Old 11th May 2016, 16:00   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Narrow middle row in a 7 seater like BR-V can easily be managed with proper sitting positions for well-fed adults, medium-sized adults, thin adults, young adults and children.
Problem is not with the width of the car or shoulder room. Please see the marked area in middle row - It has a big plastic covers around seat belt locks and person in the middle has to sit on it which makes it really uncomfortable even for few minutes travel (experienced it). That added with folded arm rest as your back rest makes the matter even worse. I will not allow even my enemy to use BR-V second row middle seat
Attached Thumbnails
With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-brv.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th May 2016 at 16:02.
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 16:10   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Why not Lodgy? ( I am assuming you are choosing BRV for the 7 seats). It is in the same price range, similar or more space, better build and ride, similar features except for the boxiness

Edit : I read your post again, you want an AT!
Lodgy AMT is supposed to be launched in July 2016 and hence was a strong contender.

But there is an issue with Renault Lodgy's specs - inexpensive models don't have safety features. Only top end expensive models have basic 2 airbags & ABS. Renault will probably take the same line and equip the 110 PS top end model with AMT.

And that will take the on road Bangalore price of Lodgy AMT to Rs. 16 Lacs.

Since top end model will have touchscreen music system & reversing camera, and since Lodgy sips diesel, Rs. 16 Lacs is an OK stretch. I might have to sell my wife's jewellery though, but that's a different issue.

But the issue is -

1) In my excitement of discovering the BR-V, I sold my Civic. I don't have a highway car now (although city duties are taken care of by other cars in the garage)

2) The Renault dealer has no firm dates on the launch of AMT Lodgy. Even if the launch is on time, I might get the car only in September. But I have been promised delivery of BR-V automatic by the end of this month (because I was an early bird)

3) For a moment, I thought of using Zoomcar for my monthly out-of-town trips till Lodgy AMT arrives. But that will add Rs. 50,000 to my expenses (Rs. 3 to 4 day trip on a Rs. 3,000 per day car)

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th May 2016 at 16:12.
Old 12th May 2016, 12:42   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Don't know about North India, but cruise control is defenitely useful down here in the south, specially the long straight highways of TN and AP. Most of my drives are from Bangalore <-> Trivandrum and some to Hyderabad etc which involves cruising at around 100 kmph for about 12 hours.
+1. For this price range, I expected it to have cruise control. Especially during night drives in the south (TN especially) it is a good feature. The road from Coimbatore to Vellore/blore I felt the need of it. It is deserted in the night. Also, vadakkancherry to Walayar. Also, there is a 6-lane coming up from Mannuthy to Vadakkancherry which will make you seriously consider buying a cruise control equipped vehicle.
deemash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 14:15   #443
BHPian

Honda has priced BR-V poorly, it is not a SUV. It is a MUV. Mobilio was poorly equipped also. The nearest successful competitor is Ertiga and they should have priced accordingly.

If we compare the V(petrol) variant of BRV with VX of Ertiga, BRV offers the following

1. Longer
2. Better Ground Clearance
3. Better Engine
4. Projector Headlamps
5. Automatic Climate Control
6. 6 Gears
7. 16 Inch Wheels
8. Electrically Adjustable & Retractable ORVM

But the price difference is 3.39 Lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.
The difference between Ciaz V(petrol) variant and City V variant is 2.31 Lakhs.

In Indonesia the base model of BRV costs 21% less base mode of City. I see huge price correction happening in immediate near future , once the initial euphoria is over.
vivek_gaur69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 14:54   #444
Team-BHP Support

Got off the phone with my sales person at Trident Honda, Bangalore -

1) They are supposed to get one MT petrol & diesel today, and they'll start offering test drives from tomorrow.

2) They have clocked 45 confirmed bookings for the BR-V so far.

3) The on-road Bangalore price of BR-V CVT is Rs. 14.88 lacs

4) I'm getting mine for 10K less, because its Tafeta White (non-metallic color)

5) Insurance cost is Rs. 35K. Bumper to bumper zero dep insurance costs Rs. 8000 extra
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 15:22   #445
BHPian

Quote:
3) The on-road Bangalore price of BR-V CVT is Rs. 14.88 lacs
Have you got hold of the price list for BR-V in Bangalore?
Old 12th May 2016, 15:28   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_gaur69 View Post
Honda has priced BR-V poorly, it is not a SUV. It is a MUV. Mobilio was poorly equipped also. The nearest successful competitor is Ertiga and they should have priced accordingly.

If we compare the V(petrol) variant of BRV with VX of Ertiga, BRV offers the following

1. Longer
3. Better Engine
4. Projector Headlamps
6. 6 Gears
7. 16 Inch Wheels

But the price difference is 3.39 Lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.
The difference between Ciaz V(petrol) variant and City V variant is 2.31 Lakhs.

In Indonesia the base model of BRV costs 21% less base mode of City. I see huge price correction happening in immediate near future , once the initial euphoria is over.
Its interesting how BR-V is getting compared to Ertiga when it comes to value that is the only thing Ertiga provides over BR-V and it gets compared to Creta when it comes to look and fit and finish . You can't have the cake and eat it too and that to at Ertiga prices.

Your explanation above itself is enough to justify the price difference not to mention it looks far better than Ertiga, has Honda reliability backing it, is a brand new vehicle and has a CVT option.My prediction is BR-V will do pretty well, but thats just me . We will know in the next few months.

For reference BR-V is second highest selling vehicle there in 3 months it has sold 18,291 units, about 6,000 units pm in a smaller market like Indonesia where already Mobilio and HR-V are present as well as Avanza and other competitors.

And comparing BR-V vs City prices in different countries is comparing orange and apples. There are multiple factors affecting that including Govt. Excise and Taxes, consumer preference, demand-supply, local competition, own product portfolio etc. So it being 20% cheaper than city or not does not really apply to India or anywhere. Indonesians will be saying Honda City is over priced in Indonesia as in India it is same price as BR-V
-xplora- is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 15:31   #447
BANNED

@Smartcat: Congratulations Sir.

You might be the first BHP-ian to take a BRV-CVT home.
Did they quoted any waiting period for you ?

By the way, I have come across a BRV-CVT on road today morning on my way to office in Hyderabad. The vehicle is not as wide as we see it in pictures. Even the vehicle is also not as lengthy as we see in pictures. I do not find the length of the vehicle as an eye sore. It has a decent looks from rear, average look from sides and stunning looks from front.
Doylthippo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 16:04   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_gaur69 View Post

1. Longer
3. Better Engine
4. Projector Headlamps
6. 6 Gears
7. 16 Inch Wheels
I was writing a similar post yesterday but lost it as I was typing on my mobile.

Before launch, I was wondering what is it that the BR-V offers over the Ertiga and at that time: the plushness (AVN,Leather seats), better Safety kit (stability control, Hill hold, ISOFIX seats etc) and equipment level was what came to my mind.

Not to mention, the hope that Honda would offer the BR-V CVT in two variants (as they do with most of their other cars) and thus the one variant below the top would be expected to be around 12 Lac OTR Delhi, MUCH closer to Ertiga AT prices and thus a somewhat justified premium over it.

But come post-launch period and I wonder the same thought over & over again. You have got most of the points bang on. The only missing aspect is that the Ertiga does offer Rear Parking sensors as standard equipment which is missing in BR-V. (a very very useful feature,especially when it is factory fitted)

For someone who is just looking at a Flexi-6/7 seater, the Ertiga offers SO much more value than the BR-V !!

If the Rear AC vent in the BR-V is just a Blower (? like in the Ertiga) , then really what is the USP of BR-V ?
Why plonk 1.5X times (~ 4Lac OTR Delhi difference) the money on it ??

With that kinda money saved(upfront & on EMIs) , I might as well book a Zoomcar, Revv Fortuner AT for the rare occasions when I would need to carry 6-7 guys for a trip.

What justifies the exorbitant price hike over the Mobilio when it is just a re-designed Mobilio ?!! Should the consumer be expected to pay for Honda's failure of the Mobilio?

p.s: BR-V is longer but inexplicably the wheelbase of Ertiga is higher by a good 80 mm !!
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 16:37   #449
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylthippo View Post
@Smartcat: Congratulations Sir.

You might be the first BHP-ian to take a BRV-CVT home.
Did they quoted any waiting period for you ?
She said end of this month, but did not sound very confident about it. Since mine was the 1st CVT booking, apparently I'll get it first - but it all depends on how many BR-V's this particular dealer gets from the dispatches of Honda factory.

She did confirm that factory dispatches have NOT started yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
Its interesting how BR-V is getting compared to Ertiga when it comes to value that is the only thing Ertiga provides over BR-V and it gets compared to Creta when it comes to look and fit and finish . You can't have the cake and eat it too and that to at Ertiga prices.
hehe.. but I do think its a fair comparison - to see what extra you get over the Ertiga. Like me, Team-BHPian HVT77 too saw Ertiga as a contender. I'm pretty sure there are many like us, who will do an evaluation of BRV Vs Ertiga.

My take on Ertiga AT:

PROS:

1) Well priced at Rs. 10.75 Lacs on road Bangalore
2) Will be as reliable as Honda. Better after sales and lower spare parts price.
3) Good engine, definitely not underpowered.
4) Comfortable seating in all rows
5) VXi gets basic safety (2 airbags, ABS) and convenience features (electric mirrors etc)
6) Compact size

CONS

1) If you want to upgrade to ZXi+ levels (alloys, touchscreen with reversing camera etc), you need to pay Rs. 1.5 Lacs more
2) Poor luggage space (135 litres). My cousin owns Ertiga ZDi and he lists the lack of bootspace as the biggest flaw of Ertiga. Personally, I think this issue can be resolved by going for a Thule (or equivalent) roof box. But that's again extra expense.
3) Beige/dull grey interiors. I wish Maruti had introduced Swift's all black interiors into Ertiga during their facelift.
4) Styling /familiarity. Wife/kid shot down Ertiga solely based on how it looks - its not a fresh design like BR-V.
5) 4 speed torque convertor AT is old school and fuel efficiency will be lower than BRV.
6) Lack of paddle shifters will make overtaking on highways/ghat sections a bit frustrating.

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th May 2016 at 16:41.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:07   #450
BHPian

Mod Note: Post deleted. Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th May 2016 at 10:24.
Hvt77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks