Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2016, 14:48   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I think Honda and Baleno will benefit immensely with changing consumer preference.

Not sure if Hyundai has any better petrol engine globally <1.2 litre
The usual saying about Honda petrol being better than Hyundai is not applicable here. Both are equally good (or bad) and there is no clear winner here.

Qouting Vidyut's experience from the review drives as mentioned here (Honda Jazz vs Hyundai Elite i20)

Quote:
The i20 feels peppier at low rpm's and is more driveable in the city. The Jazz is just too frustrating in the city as the power band is way too high up in the rev range and you need to keep it in a lower gear and downshift to close any gaps. Out on the highway both are equally lacklustre but the Honda does a little better as you can keep it in a lower gear and higher rpm. The i20 is not that revv happy.
Baleno fares better than the other two mainly thanks to its weight. Plus it will have the 1L boosterjet engine soon as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st July 2016 at 14:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 16:49   #77
BHPian

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For the life of me, I can't figure this one out.

Hyundai has always offered a wide range of automatic cars, with the Santro, i10, Grand i10, old i20, Verna (old & new), Elantra, Creta, Sonata, Santa Fe etc. all having sold AT variants. What's more, the previous-gen i20 1.4L AT was quite a competent car (link to review).

Clearly, the company is a believer of automatic variants. Why then is Hyundai's best selling car not offered with an Automatic? It's even started exporting the same!
Attachment 1462904
Source

Is Hyundai afraid of cannibalisation with the Xcent AT? That's just stupid as the Xcent is anyway selling a fraction of the i20. Do they want to save the 1.4L AT for their upcoming compact SUV? That's even more stupid as the compact SUV is still sometime away. Hyundai knows this better than anyone else - if you don't cannibalise your own products, someone else will gladly do it for you.

Can someone please decode this puzzle for me? WHY?
GTO,
I think they heard you
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/53484515.cms
ramki067 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 17:32   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

But by all reports this will be another car to get that sluggish and inadequate 4 speed AT box. Its really annoying to drive a car with a 4 speed AT box in 2016!!
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 19:52   #79
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I simply don't believe Hyundai are going to launch the 1.2 Kappa VTVT with a 4-speed TC AT in India. I don't think this combination exists anywhere in the world on the i20 (of any generation).

It may either be a 4-speed TC AT or a 6-speed one, but with the 1.4 litre engine. This is the new 1368cc Kappa VTVT motor, which is different from the 1396cc Gamma VTVT found on the previous gen. i20 AT & also the Verna 1.4 MT.

Horsepower and torque figures are about the same for both the 1.4 Kappa & 1.4 Gamma (depending on the specific car + gearbox combo), but the Kappa belongs to the newer all-aluminium engine family, and should be a lot more refined and fairly more fuel efficient than the earlier Gamma.

The 100 PS 1.4 Kappa VTVT + 4-speed AT is the one which is sold in Europe. I think we will get the same here. (Of course, it's possible that Hyundai could choose to surprise us with a 6-speed AT.)

Either that, or Hyundai could couple an auto 'box (possibly a dual-clutch one) with the direct-injection 1.0 Kappa T-GDI turbo-petrol.

Last edited by RSR : 1st August 2016 at 19:57.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 21:19   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But by all reports this will be another car to get that sluggish and inadequate 4 speed AT box. Its really annoying to drive a car with a 4 speed AT box in 2016!!
Well, I am bearing with my 7 year old 4 speed i10 as other than unplanned overtakes, I really do not have any issues. The car is quite fast off the signals till 60-70. But yes, acceleration over 90 is sluggish.
I agree with you - If one is to buy a new car in 2016 - it better have a couple of more 'planets' in the gearbox
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 21:35   #81
BANNED

Had a Testdrive on Creta today and the sales rep said Elite i20 auto is coming soon.
He said Hyundai is in talks with VW to get the DSG.
Cant believe his words 100% though.
Old 1st August 2016, 22:14   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Well, I am bearing with my 7 year old 4 speed i10 as other than unplanned overtakes, I really do not have any issues. The car is quite fast off the signals till 60-70. But yes, acceleration over 90 is sluggish.
I agree with you - If one is to buy a new car in 2016 - it better have a couple of more 'planets' in the gearbox
My wife drives a 2011 i10 AT too and I have driven that car multiple times over long stretches, both in city and highway. While it is definitely without issues, but it is just too lethargic and boring. Now in 2011 and for the fact that this was perhaps one of the first AT boxes money could buy you in India apart from Maruti's stable, I do not have any complaints.

But then a car now costing over 9L OTR in 2016 doesn't deserve a similar box. Specially when the competition has moved on to fancy set ups like DSG and CVT and what not.
Old 2nd August 2016, 00:42   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The usual saying about Honda petrol being better than Hyundai is not applicable here.
I would have to agree here, while I was certainly not a fan of the 1.2 on the i20, the Grand i10 and Xcent utilize the engine in a much better manner thanks to lower weight. The engine itself has no fault, its fantastic and that's a fact. There are a few of us who do not have anything to do with highway roads, we are urban runners and to us what matters the most is near-instant torque and clean acceleration up to 80. That's it.

With a low opinion on the 1.2 petrol engine from the old i20 experience (since mine is the Getz 1.4 engine), I got in to try out the Grand i10 on a relatively empty stretch. The next thing I realised was that I was doing 80 in no time at all and I really do not like to push any car to even that speed inside city. I never even realised it was at that speed as it pulled cleanly and noiselessly in no time at all and that's when I truly understood the capacity of the engine and the ease of driving it. It has the perfect balance of free-revving, breathability and torque for the city drive and yet it will not disappoint in highway either. Its made for lighter cars and that's its only limitation. Even with a very light foot it pulled without any resistance and that's how most of Hyundai's engines are, be it their 1.1 (in Santro), 1.4 (Getz) or 1.6 (Verna). For my need their engines are faultless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysak View Post
The sales rep said Elite i20 auto is coming soon.
He said Hyundai is in talks with VW to get the DSG. Cant believe his words 100% though.
The sales-rep is one of those who thinks that the "DSG" is an invention of VW, hence he believes that if Hyundai is adopting a 7-Speed DSG then it has to be from VW. The fact is that BorgWarner an American company licensed the dual-clutch technology to VW. VW just began manufacturing them in-house to cut costs and also to smoothen the finer aspects of the box to suit their cars and engines. Its a simple technology, there is an outer clutch which is larger and selects the odd gears (1,3,5,7) and the inner smaller clutch which selects even gears (2,4,6) and both work in tandem to pre-select gears based on throttle response. Its imperative when driving a double-clutch to develop a predictive style of driving that either involves steady throttle holding for gradual acceleration or decisive pushes to cleanly get response akin to a manual. All that a double clutch does is to quicken the gear-shifts to instant levels whereas it'll take a good second or two when doing the clutch+gear+release action manually.

Hyundai likewise has developed their own 7-speed dry double clutch through Kia and it's also a dry-clutch like the DQ200 of VW. It's highly unlikely that after having spent so much time and money developing their own identical unit that they'll approach VW for one. Hyundai's DC also has better damping to prevent/lessen shift noises if their literature is to be believed.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 18:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My wife drives a 2011 i10 AT too and I have driven that car multiple times over long stretches, both in city and highway. While it is definitely without issues, but it is just too lethargic and boring. Now in 2011 and for the fact that this was perhaps one of the first AT boxes money could buy you in India apart from Maruti's stable, I do not have any complaints.

But then a car now costing over 9L OTR in 2016 doesn't deserve a similar box. Specially when the competition has moved on to fancy set ups like DSG and CVT and what not.
Exactly - an i20 AT , whenever launched, deserves atleast a 6 speed torque converter box, if not a dry/wet dual clutch box. A bigger engine should also be shoehorned in.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 21:51   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Indonesia is getting the 1.4L AT in their version of the Elite i20, which will launch at the 2016 GIIAS later this week.

The engine in question is the 4-cylinder, 108PS/139Nm Gamma VTVT which powers the Getz and the Grand Avega and is paired to a 4-speed automatic transmission. (the other transmission option is a 5-speed manual)

Interestingly, it is being imported from India as a CBU. (link)
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 12:34   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

The "Made in India" Hyundai Elite i20 AT has been launched in Indonesia at the 2016 GIIAS auto show.

It is equipped with the 1.4L Gamma VTVT four cylinder petrol engine which produces 100 PS and 130 Nm of torque, and is paired to a 4-speed automatic gearbox.

RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 15:06   #87
Senior - BHPian

Same old school four speeder Torque Converter!. Hyundai is better off NOT launching this in India.

Come on Hyundai! you are perceived as a trend setter in India what with the first affordable crdi range, first affordable exec sedan (gen 1 sonata) etc. It doesn't behove you to launch out dated technologies.

Please at least launch the Elite 120 with the six speed torque convertor that you have in the elantra if not a proper twin clutch automatic.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 17:15   #88
RSR
Senior - BHPian

It's the same 1.4 litre Kappa Dual VTVT (100 PS @ 6000 rpm & 13.6 kgm @ 4000 rpm) mated to a 4-speed torque converter AT as available in Europe.

Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!-screenshot_20160812170833.jpg

Source: Hyundai's Indonesia website

Since it's exported from India, I believe we'll soon get the same combination here.

I would have preferred a 6-speed torque converter, but I still welcome this combo. I hope the 4th gear is tall enough to take full advantage of the 100 horses.

Last edited by RSR : 12th August 2016 at 17:19.
Old 12th August 2016, 17:49   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It's the same 1.4 litre Kappa Dual VTVT (100 PS @ 6000 rpm & 13.6 kgm @ 4000 rpm) mated to a 4-speed torque converter AT as available in Europe.

Attachment 1540936

Source: Hyundai's Indonesia website

Since it's exported from India, I believe we'll soon get the same combination here.

I would have preferred a 6-speed torque converter, but I still welcome this combo. I hope the 4th gear is tall enough to take full advantage of the 100 horses.
This engine GB combo was present in the Gen 1 i20 as well and it was pathetic to say the least- neither was it efficient, not fast. hence it died a well deserved death.
Old 12th August 2016, 18:11   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
This engine GB combo was present in the Gen 1 i20 as well and it was pathetic to say the least- neither was it efficient, not fast. hence it died a well deserved death.
The Gen 1 i20 1.4L engine was non VTVT if I seem to recall correctly.
Not that it makes much of a difference though.
A car like i20 deserves a better GB than the old 4 speed one coupled with 1.4 L VTVT engine that seems to be on offer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks