Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 21:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic likely to return to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Agree 100%. Honda needs to focus on building their premium image back. However I fear that with designs such as this where the interiors mimic Amaze/BR-V/Jazz/City and not the CR-V or Accord, they may have lost the plot entirely.
You're absolutely right. I prefer the timeless classic designs (both interior and exterior) of the older versions as compared to the new 'sharp' designs.

I know many people who absolutely loathe the new interiors of the current Honda amaze/jazz/mobilio. They really need to change the current design to get higher sales.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:04   #17
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will Honda price it as competitively as the Corolla? If it does, that's good (despite the overlap, though Honda won't agree with me). If Honda prices it higher than the Corolla, it's not going anywhere.
Yes even I feel that it should be priced very close to the Corolla but it may not happen.

The article states that this Civic is meant to fill the gap between the new Accord and City. The City(D) top-end costs 13 lakhs OTR Mumbai and the new Accord will cost approx 25 lakhs OTR Mumbai, some rough calculations result in more than 10 lakhs in diffrence and so I have a strong feeling they will price the Civic in the range of 17-20 lakhs. This way it is somewhat in the middle of the two cars.

What do you feel am I correct ?
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 23:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Yes even I feel that it should be priced very close to the Corolla but it may not happen.

The article states that this Civic is meant to fill the gap between the new Accord and City. The City(D) top-end costs 13 lakhs OTR Mumbai and the new Accord will cost approx 25 lakhs OTR Mumbai, some rough calculations result in more than 10 lakhs in diffrence and so I have a strong feeling they will price the Civic in the range of 17-20 lakhs. This way it is somewhat in the middle of the two cars.

What do you feel am I correct ?
The new Accord will only come in the Hybrid avatar so expecting it to be on the expensive side like around 28-29 Lakhs OTR Mumbai and as you rightly said the City (D) top end costs 13 Lakhs OTR Mumbai which leaves an extremely long gap between the two. As per rumors, the Civic is said to be powered by the 1.5 i-vtec Turbo motor or the 1.8 i-vtec heart also expected is an all new diesel engine. The petrol motor will definitely get a healthy boost in power say around 150 bhp atleast and expecting the diesel to produce 125-130 bhp both said seeing the current market trend the car will be extremely well equipped too so I think the car's pricing would be somewhat between 17 lakhs for the base petrol and will go all the way upto 22-23 lakhs OTR Mumbai moreover on the price line of Jetta and Octavia it's arch rivals.
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 23:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is super news and they really should bring it back. The previous gen Civic was successful and only Honda can explain why they took it off the market. The Corolla and Elantra have enjoyed good success in the last few years in its absence.
As far as pricing is concerned, i think it will be priced close to the Corolla top end versions and we could look at a 20L on road price for a fully loaded automatic. The styling is edgy, the Corolla will still appeal to the more conservative and the Civic may find a much younger crowd.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 08:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
the new Accord will cost approx 25 lakhs OTR Mumbai, some rough calculations result in more than 10 lakhs in diffrence and so I have a strong feeling they will price the Civic in the range of 17-20 lakhs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
The new Accord will only come in the Hybrid avatar so expecting it to be on the expensive side like around 28-29 Lakhs OTR Mumbai
Guess you guys missed this thread which says the new Accord will cost somewhere between 40 - 45 lakhs INR. See the last post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3957988
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 08:16   #21
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Guess you guys missed this thread which says the new Accord will cost somewhere between 40 - 45 lakhs INR.
Thanks for the information, if Honda has decided to price the Accord at that level, I cannot even think of the premuim it will charge for the Civic. We can do nothing now but wait, I hope they learn from their previous mistakes and price it correctly or else it is another Mobilio in the making.
Old 13th May 2016, 12:25   #22
BHPian

The US spec 2016 Civic has a ground clearance of 125mm. The Civic sold in India before it was discontinued had a ground clearance of 170mm.

Suffice to say that the new Civic will get your heart racing, especially over speed breakers.
Old 13th May 2016, 13:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Guess you guys missed this thread which says the new Accord will cost somewhere between 40 - 45 lakhs INR. See the last post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3957988
That post also states that the bookings for the Accord have started at 2 lakhs, which is not true. Most likely the dealer is making up stuff to make a quick buck.

Honda is stupid when it comes to pricing, but not stupid enough to launch the Accord at 40 lakhs. It'll be priced alongside the Superb and Camry, i.e. 28-35 lakhs.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 13:48   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Actually it has more to do with the sagging on the rear suspension.
Completely agreed. It's not just the ground clearance rating that counts - a lot of other factors determine how your car can handle speed breakers (which is the lowest part, suspension tuning, wheelbase etc.). As an example, my C220 had <150 mm of ground clearance, but the damn thing never, ever scraped, no matter what roads we drove her on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The previous gen Civic was successful and only Honda can explain why they took it off the market.
The previous gen was successful until the public realised that the 3rd-gen City gave them 90% of the Civic at 60-70% of the price. Honda's frequent price increases on the Civic didn't help either.

The Civic was discontinued as the next-generation made its debut globally. However, Honda didn't want to bring the next-gen in. It was too similar to the outgoing car and the D1 segment had also shrunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Honda is stupid when it comes to pricing, but not stupid enough to launch the Accord at 40 lakhs. It'll be priced alongside the Superb and Camry, i.e. 28-35 lakhs.
Just FYI: The Camry Hybrid costs 40 lakhs on the road in Mumbai (and higher in Bangalore).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 14:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

I would surely want this Civic to be launched in India asap. But with right engine options and right prices. It will just sell like hotcakes. The car looks indeed awesome, just see the rear portion of the Civic. The feeling of a complete sports car all ready to race around the town.

However, Honda has to play the game very carefully. Honda has to manage both City & Civic to make sure that no one car cannibalize the sale of another one. They have to compete with their competitors and not with each other so that the past is not repeated this time (The Civic craze faded away with launch of 3rd Gen i-VTEC City).

PS - Is it just me or everyone feels the Indian sedan segment is all set to be spiced up again ?

Till 2018-2019, we will have next Gen Verna, next gen all new City (Hopefully it will be a new Gen rather than a mere facelift they did with 2014 model), Toyota Vios sedan, Honda Civic in the news now!

I am already feeling the excitement.
Old 13th May 2016, 14:37   #26
BHPian

If this happens, I will be one of the first in line to book a Civic

Honda really needs to work hard to get back their premium image. With the discontinuation of the Accord and Civic, they had nothing to offer between 13L (top-end City) - 30L (top-end CRV). Moreover, their sub-10L area is far too crowded (Brio, Amaze, Mobilio, Jazz, City, BRV).

If priced between 17-20 L, I feel it would give the Corolla, Elantra, Octavia, and Jetta a lot of sleepless nights.

I was in Thailand last week and got a glimpse of a brand new white Civic on the road. First impressions were pretty positive. IMO, the looks are much more appealing than the current Corolla Altis (which is a very nice car too). I just hope Honda don't act miserly with the features list and engine options.

I got a City this Feb. I picked it over the Corolla Altis since it offered much more for a lot less money. I would blindly replace my 2010 Altis with another Altis, but the price along with the lack of features was a big turn-off.

I will be looking to replace my 2010 Altis sometime over the next 2 years. Hopefully I will be able to put a Civic in my garage.

(On another note, I would happily consider replacing my Passat with a new Accord if the latter is well equipped)
Old 13th May 2016, 16:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know thinking what did the dealer gave the expected pricing and how can they start taking booking of a car which doesn't even has a confirmed launch date. Moreover, the launch of the vehicle is still around 4 months away.
Now, the Accord brand has been quite successful for the manufacturer in India so pricing it at such a high point would prove disastrous. I think the dealer has assumed that price considering it to be a Hybrid and CBU, even after being a CBU anything above 35 lakhs OTR for an Accord Hybrid would not be a feasible option and Honda folks aren't so dumb to launch this car at such a high price point. Moreover, how will they fill in such a void then! Honda Civic alone obviously would not be able to cater the demands multiple segments.

Last edited by YashD : 13th May 2016 at 16:07.
Old 13th May 2016, 16:05   #28

The 2016 Honda Civic was awarded the North American Car of the Year Award in the Detroit Auto Show. That shows that this car has something !! Personally I liked the design very much. I think it is very sporty. The back has been designed better than the front. I do not like the excessive chrome used in the front but I can live with it. The next generation of Elantra and Cruze will also be launched in India in 2016/17, hence it makes sense to revive the Civic in India. Also lets not forget that it is a "hit" globally.

Also today many customers who owned entry level hatch-backs(Wagon R, Swift etc) have upgraded to cars & SUVs like Ecosport, Brezza, City etc. For others who already owned C segment cars , there are very few options to upgrade to. So for such customers the CIVIC/Elantra/Cruze is the next logical car Vis-a-Vis the XUV500 and Creta.

Many members on the forum have not yet commented on how they feel about the design of the car ! Looking forwarded to more opinions on that..
Old 13th May 2016, 16:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I think the dealer has assumed that price considering it to be a Hybrid and CBU, even after being a CBU anything above 35 lakhs OTR for an Accord Hybrid would not be a feasible option and Honda folks aren't so dumb to launch this car at such a high price point.
Let us hope you guys are right and Honda prices the new Accord sensibly. I don't see many people buying it if the ex-showroom is above INR 30L (that is where the Camry Hybrid starts right now).

For reference only though, quoting an info from an earlier post by Senna4Ever from the same thread.

Honda Civic likely to return to India-capture.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3897493
Old 13th May 2016, 17:30   #30
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see many people buying it if the ex-showroom is above INR 30L
Honda has been absent from the luxury segment for years now, they will not get away with such absurd pricing. Many people will vouch for the reliability Honda offers but it certainly does not have the badge-value of the luxury brands like Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc to be priced above 40 lakhs. Pricing will play a very important role in the success of the Civic as well as Accord.

The 10th gen Civic is nicely loaded with features and multiple engine choices, only time will tell if India will get them all or will it be stripped of options. Honda needs a huge come-back, it is been riding on the success of the City for way too long now.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks