Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2017, 18:42   #136
BHPian

Re: Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh

I have seen the UC in Red and i feel it was not too loud the way it has been placed. Infact rather than the chrome fog lamp enclosures, i would prefer black cladding on my car which would give the car rugged looks too. Additionally UC consists of other few wxtra features too like Increased GC which is necessary.
My pick would be Punto UC be it in Red or Bronze Tan.
Old 13th January 2017, 18:49   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Sidindica,

Whats you Urban cross drive feedback as well as how it is a overall package for both MJD and TJet too?

I'm yet to see any owners feedback for Urban Cross here.

Thanks~
There is not much of a difference between the way a UC or an Punto Evo drives. That the UC has a rear anti roll bar, to negate the increased GC, steering feedback remains superb and so does the braking. The T jet can be a handful though in the hands of an inexperianced driver.
The emotion model is the one to go for, just costs I guess, Around INR 30K more than dynamic, and is now available.
Now, coming to the manufacturer alone, everytime rumours afloat of their uncertain future, if this was the case, then they wouldn't have invested crores of rupees for a dealership in Delhi like landmark (Fiat/Abarth/Jeep). Not a single car was manufactured in December, probably as part of inventory control. The problem is the product as a whole is dated and old school, but is rugged and reliable enough and will be easy on the pocket WRT maintenance costs for a Euro lineage car.
sidindica is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 19:11   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
There is not much of a difference between the way a UC or an Punto Evo drives. That the UC has a rear anti roll bar, to negate the increased GC, steering feedback remains superb and so does the braking. The T jet can be a handful though in the hands of an inexperianced driver.
The emotion model is the one to go for, just costs I guess, Around INR 30K more than dynamic, and is now available.
Now, coming to the manufacturer alone, everytime rumours afloat of their uncertain future, if this was the case, then they wouldn't have invested crores of rupees for a dealership in Delhi like landmark (Fiat/Abarth/Jeep). Not a single car was manufactured in December, probably as part of inventory control. The problem is the product as a whole is dated and old school, but is rugged and reliable enough and will be easy on the pocket WRT maintenance costs for a Euro lineage car.
I've driven the Avventura and UC MJD for a short test drive. The ride was as usual good in their territory they rule. Only biggest grouse was the back seat, 3 guys were sitting behind but cramped. The guy in the corner had its shoulders rubbing off the door and seat corners making him uncomfortable. So it isn't a comfortable 3 seater unlike my Palio. Also they didn't had the Abarth UC so no idea at all about it how it feels, although thats my core interest since i already drive a 1.6 Palio. But I see it crosses 10L bracket which is a downer, can't believe that a hatch or a cross hatch today sells for 9-10L I remember buying mine at 4.5L 8 years back, the cheapest pocket rocket at those time anyone could own

We also have Landmark dealership opened but I can sense that they are more focussed on Jeep models rather than Fiats and thats the future for Fiat India in coming years. If Jeep does well, maybe then we might see new cars from Fiat brand else i guess it will be just Jeep IMO.

Although I believe Fiat will hand around but not the dealers who are shutting down one by one across states now and I don't want to end up again with the same dead situation in 2-3 years just like it happened after i bought my Palio in 2008 (thats the fear of most existing fiatians especially Palio owners) :(

Last edited by rudrah : 13th January 2017 at 19:12.
rudrah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:26   #139
BHPian

Wonderful to read all the growing discussions around UC (seems to be lesser than Abarth Punto?)...
When I read that it will be launched with the Abarth 1.4 Engine my interest was piqued. My primary interest being an Abarth I went to TD it at Sky Moto Fiat, Pune yesterday. The overall dealership experience I have described in the Abarth thread (as well as my relationship with Fiat), so will stick to my encounter with the UC.

I visited the place with a (guy) friend who is a Hyundai fan and sells marine engines for a living as well as a lady friend who is a teacher educator who has a say in aesthetic matters to do with the car. While I had gone with the intention of TD-ing the Abarth, as soon as we entered the showroom, the Magnesio Grey display car caught all our attention. It also had the optional designer interior package which was eye catching as well. The thing that immediately set it apart from the regular punto evo was its stance and more aggressive looks. We all appreciated the car. Here are some of my impressions:

Interiors: The optional designer package (which is more than 15k over stock) I feel is excellent and lends a plush and distinctive look to the car. The finishing is well done but the choice of colour is a hit and miss. I, for one liked it a lot, but it may not be first choice for others, and may not go well with all exterior colours. The storage places are limited, as we all know, however in the front door we could somehow fit a Kinley 1L in the prone position. It was extremely tight though. Seats are extremely comfortable and in the driver's seat I felt I had more under thigh support than in the Abarth. Maybe it is subjective since I don't have numbers to back it up.

Back Seat: Yes, it is cramped even with 3 medium sized adults sitting. In the i20 (in which we drove to the showroom) 3 sit comfortably without rubbing shoulders or shoulders hitting the edges. The mid variant did not have the rear ac vent, but we were told the top end 1.4 petrol, which was my interest, would come with one.

Boot - is spacious and does not have the intruding side wells as pronounced as the Abarth (or maybe I didn't notice it well enough), however on paper both have the same boot capacity.

Driving Experience: I could only drive the 90HP Diesel variant. Having just come from a TD of the abarth, my senses / expectations were a bit skewed. However, I enjoyed the higher seating position, and I found the seat to be more comfortable. I had no problems using the gearshift. My friend found it better than the Abarth in terms of ease of shifting and said it is close to the i20, But I found the Abarth's slightly better. The difference could be due to this being a newer car and the gearbox probably needs more time to be run in. If the final result is anything like the one in the Abarth over a few thousand kms, I'd be happy.
The turbo lag was lesser than the MJD in the swift Dzire which i recently drove, and in my opinion was adequate even below the turbo band. On the highway it was accelerated smoothly, but as I said, I can't comment in absolute terms, because I still wasn't down from the High of the Abarth, but I can only imagine how awesome it would be with that engine!

Off Road: By now we had struck up a great conversation with the sales executive who was with us and he was quite impressed with my background research on the fiat. We had already covered the highway stretch in the Abarth and I wanted a different experience. I asked if there are any bad roads we can take this on since, any car would be smooth on the highway. I wanted to feel it over unpaved roads. We went into this area called Puneville (erstwhile Punnavale) which has a lot of construction. I drove it down an extremely uneven road and in a narrow lane leading upto a brick kiln. I must say the feedback from the wheels was unlike anything I have experienced, so I know exactly where to place the car on the uneven/rocky road. Also, it didn't feel jarring to go over that road (at least more than half km up and down) Full marks to the suspension and ride quality, the confidence inspiring GC and steering. While returning the sales guy himself said "Sir take it down that side there's an absolutely messed up patch". And messed up it was! Thorny shrubs on both sides with what can only be described as a collection of craters and ditches and no semblance of any road. With some apprehension I took it at good speed (30-40) down that stretch and it held its ground really well. I must again comment on the excellent feedback from the wheels which is essential in such a situation.
Another comment is that the sales guy's absolute confidence to let me drive on that road without any qualms, which shows his confidence on the capabilities of the vehicle. This patch of driving was the standout feature of my test drive experience.

Anyway, I realise I have rambled a lot, please let me know if you would like to know anything else.

I received a quote for 11.77 Lakh OTR for the UC with optional designer interior package. When I mentioned dealer discounts he sounded as if he doesn't even know that such a thing is possible
Overall a nice TD experience of the Punto Twins.
sultanofswing is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 14:46   #140
BHPian

Finally, my car purchase decision nearing its deadline. Over period of time, my confusions are cleared and I'm looking at a definite choice. Thanks to all members for the inputs.

Confusion 1: UC or Evo
After the recent announcement about the 40k discount on the evo and linea range, Punto Evo OTR price come to 9.2x Lakhs whereas the UC stays there at 10 Lakhs without any discount. As the gap is almost more than 70k, I'm back to Punto Evo.

Confusion 2: Bronzo Tan Vs Exotica Red
This confusion also depended on UC and Evo choice. As the car is going to be Evo, colour choice also favourable to Exotica Red. Hot hatch should be in hot colour.

Doubt:
While enquiring about the UC roof rails, SA told that they can't order that for Evo and the order has to be placed with the SL/VIN number of the car. Hence they don't dispatch UC spares for other versions. Is that true?
Old 24th January 2017, 15:58   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
Doubt:
While enquiring about the UC roof rails, SA told that they can't order that for Evo and the order has to be placed with the SL/VIN number of the car. Hence they don't dispatch UC spares for other versions. Is that true?
In fact I too wanted to get this done nevertheless the spares team are not ready to help and was given a very similar response. The good thing is that the roof rails do not need drilling and is a great addition to the Punto. I am going to call the Sevice advisor again today. Anybody else on the forum, do you know what is this logic behind this intent?

Last edited by SDP : 10th February 2017 at 16:48. Reason: fixing broken quote
Old 24th January 2017, 20:31   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
Finally, my car purchase decision nearing its deadline. Over period of time, my confusions are cleared and I'm looking at a definite choice. Thanks to all members for the inputs.

Confusion 1: UC or Evo
After the recent announcement about the 40k discount on the evo and linea range, Punto Evo OTR price come to 9.2x Lakhs whereas the UC stays there at 10 Lakhs without any discount. As the gap is almost more than 70k, I'm back to Punto Evo.

Confusion 2: Bronzo Tan Vs Exotica Red
This confusion also depended on UC and Evo choice. As the car is going to be Evo, colour choice also favourable to Exotica Red. Hot hatch should be in hot colour.

Doubt:
Good choice more so with the price cut makes it a little more VFM. Get the vehicle home, then getting the roof rails can be done.
Old 24th January 2017, 20:55   #143
Senior - BHPian

Roof rails on the evo will make it ugly, better avoid it. I'd suggest that.

Id think the below pics may help you out.

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-15726890_892577514178965_420124862051320876_n.jpg

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-15740948_1424830740884540_1641787681442918502_n.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 24th January 2017 at 21:01.
sidindica is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 07:34   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Roof rails on the evo will make it ugly, better avoid it. I'd suggest that.
I got the impression from rav11stars review pictures. Does it look ugly? Probably the black one looks better.

Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-1485655417698.jpg
Fiat Urban-Cross to launch in September 2016. EDIT: Now launched @ Rs. 6.85 lakh-1485655441908.jpg
EPMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 10:54   #145
BHPian

Mr. Harish Kalokhe from Pune wins a Brand new UC in Fiat's Twitter contest . Did anyone from us try their luck ?

Moto_Hill is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 07:19   #146
BHPian

A couple of days ago, I've booked Urban Cross. Colour chosen is Bossonova White and the variant is, Abarth Powered Tjet engine. Looking forward to this mean machine.
Wildy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 13:21   #147
BHPian

Hi friends,

My Punto just crossed 100,000 Kms and I am in the market for a new car. Thinking of a Crossover and Urban cross is top on my list. I could not find a lot of information on crash tests data for Urban cross. Looking at the Global NCAP results for the new Ford Figo, I am concerned that Fiat India might be cutting corners as well.

Does anyone have any additional data on safety aspects of the UC?

Thanks,
Ajay.
ajayr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 14:20   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
Does anyone have any additional data on safety aspects of the UC?
Not tested for any of the Indian FIAT cars. So one can only hope for the best, as of now.

Quote:
My Punto just crossed 100,000 Kms and I am in the market for a new car. Thinking of a Crossover and Urban cross is top on my list
TJet or the diesel? Upgrade doesn't make financial sense IMO since both are essentially same cars, but atleast the TJet makes a desirable case due to the 140hp on tap.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 16:39   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not tested for any of the Indian FIAT cars. So one can only hope for the best, as of now.

TJet or the diesel? Upgrade doesn't make financial sense IMO since both are essentially same cars, but atleast the TJet makes a desirable case due to the 140hp on tap.
Planning to go for TJet. I know, Punto to UC is not really an upgrade. Nothing is really wrong with my Punto except that it has grown a bit more noisy than a few years back. I'll probably open a new thread seeking advice on "What car?"
ajayr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 17:35   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to go for TJet.
Well you had better book one fast if you really want a 125s as not many in stock at the plant and those that are available are late 2016 models. No production planned for 2017 in the near future as they are concentrating on the Jeep Compass. (This info is a week old)

Good luck.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks