Team-BHP - Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/178687-scoop-next-gen-toyota-fortuner-spotted-edit-preview-page-14-a-14.html)

Many thanks to my co-reviewer & buddy Khan_Sultan for the finer details, pictures, spotting and the company he provided over those two days!

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img_6928.jpg

One of the most awaited launches in the SUV space is finally here - the new Toyota Fortuner. Before the launch date, Toyota had invited the media for a preview drive in Kochi, Kerala; fellow Moderator Khan_Sultan and I represented Team-BHP in this drive, which was a round-trip of 200 km to Vagamon and back (being a prospective buyer who had almost signed up for the Ford Endeavour, I decided to wait for the Fortuner's price announcement). A short trail drive was also part of the plan, to experience the 'off the road' behaviour at the lovely MMJ estates, Vagamon. So, while we wait for the detailed test drive and official review to happen, here is a quick snapshot of this premium SUV.

Toyota says that they are prepared for the production demands. Engine + tranny combinations:

Diesel 2.8L will have 4x4 and 4x2 models with AT or MT gearboxes
Petrol 2.7L will have only 4x2 with AT or MT gearboxes

Exterior:

Interiors:

Ride & Comfort:

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img_9700.jpg

Engine & Transmission:

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img_9699.jpg

Second was the 4x2 Petrol AT- we were warned by fellow reviewers since they drove it up the ghats. But those warnings didn't prepare us for the sluggish drive we had. The petrol AT - even in sport mode - is pathetic! It just cannot keep up a fast pace. The petrol AT is like that "not a morning person - throughout the day" type guy!

Finally, the best of the pack is the 4x4 Manual. After the event was done, we decided to flick one and drive it around the hotel / airport area which had decent roads and stretches.

Offroading:

Give offroaders like me & Khan a 4x4 and you really can't keep us away from a trail :D. We drove only the 4x4 AT "off the road" and since the media event had 4-5 sets of folks coming in over a few days, the priority was clear = keep the vehicle intact without a scratch. Understandable too. The folks from South would be familiar with MMJ Estates, where the Mahindra events and others (like the last R&T challenge) are conducted. This "offroad" experience was limited to a 3 km track which is used for the trail drive and we were strictly advised not to venture further. Well, we hope we didn't rl:.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img_6974.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-img_6977.jpg

Quote:

back (being a prospective buyer who had almost signed up for the Ford Endeavour, I decided to wait for the Fortuner's price announcement).
So the three million rupee question is- would you buy this or the endeavour @Jaggu?

Thanks for the preview. How long before the through and detailed review is out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 4088168)
Only a side by side comparison will reveal more.

Super preview Jaggu and Shan!
And if you need the previous model for side by side, let me know..
I have probably one of the last previous generation ones.. ;)
Cheers,
Deepak

Thanks for the quick preview, guys! clap:

The 4x4 AT, at an ex-showroom price 1.3L higher than top end Endeavour, doesn't feel so much more VFM to me. In fact I would still go out and say that 2.2L 4x4 Endeavour at 23.7L Ex Delhi is even much more steal of a deal compared to this. Don't get me wrong, now a days I am a sucker for these 7 seater SUVs. However, apart from A-TRAC on this Toyota which is presumed to be working better than a LSD on old gen Fortuner, I don't see how this is better than old gen. In competition, proper diff-lock on rear axle is being offered on Ford. For those looking for more comfortable ride, Innova Crysta is better bet. For those looking for a 4x4 SUV, top end Ford Endeavour is better bet. However, this will be the vehicle of choice for those who want a full blown 4x4 SUV with MT gearbox (which Endeavour doesn't offer!). Anyway, I still predict this will sell in truck loads just like its predecessor, just hoping sincerely it doesn't run into niggles just like Innova Crysta! :eek:

Anyway, time to head out to my nearby Toyota showroom and ask them for a proper test drive where I can draw my conclusions. However, from my limited experience with old gen Fortuner and new Endeavour, I feel Endeavour to be a better package overall.

My 2 cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 4088166)
One of the most awaited launches in the SUV space is finally here - the new Toyota Fortuner.

Thanks for the preview guys.

@Jaggu: You being a prospective customer, I'd be interested to hear your take on which car you'd pick if you had to choose one of the 4x4 A/T options. (I suspect you might totally sold on the 4x4 MT of course but as a moot point if you had to pick one of the A/Ts, which one would it be?)

@ Mods: One request for the detailed official review whenever it comes in. For suitable contextualizing, it would be helpful if you could reference Fortuner observations (wherever relevant) with your experience with the Endeavour as well (like you've made cross references to Pajero and Innova in a couple of places here). It is THE direct competitor and with the current looks, pricing combo etc of the current gen Endy, it would be useful as a comparable benchmark as most purchasers are going to be torn between these two very evenly matched similarly capable vehicles.

Thanks

EDIT
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace F355 (Post 4088193)
Thanks for the quick preview, guys! clap:

The 4x4 AT, at an ex-showroom price 1.3L higher than top end Endeavour, doesn't feel so much more VFM to me.

If in on-road price terms, that translates to about 1.6-1.7 lakhs over the corresponding Endy, I think that's very shrewd pricing by Toyota. I'm not saying its justified given how capable the Endy is - but its what they can get away with and not more than that. Its the kind of extra amount many people will blindly invest over and above the Endy just to get the Toyota instead. Financially speaking too, its quite possible you'll recover that difference (if not more) when you resell the Fortuner over the Endeavour.

Depending on what impact is there on Endy sales, I also won't be surprised if their Titanium variants either start seeing a bit of discounting or undergo a slight price correction. That's the only danger with Toyota pricing. To the best of my knowledge, they've never had to reduce pricing on Innova / Fortuner or give heavy discounts. Ford seems to have no problems altering its prices. At a 1.3 lakh or so premium, if Ford decides to slash prices on Titaniums by 1.5 lakhs or so, Toyota will have some figuring out at its end. A 3 lakh delta WILL lose them meaningful business to the blue oval.

Thanks for the preview. Team-bhp rocks. Glad you guys dedicately sit and write your experience with the car which is as good as a detailed test drive.

Here is what i think:

1) The informed customer will compare Ford and Toyota (for the tech features etc) and then buy accordingly. They might favor Ford more than Toyota. Again that depends from individual to individual.
2) The general public who wants a SUV in that range will always go for the Toyota. I know of few who even refuse to check Ford as an option :) Will not be surprised if White colored new Fortuners are outnumbering other cars.
3) One good option that Ford gave is the 4x2 AT 2.2 liter and that can sway some of the customers in favor of Ford - who wants SUV with AT but no need for a 4x4 at a lower price point

The interiors look really good and the car looks more sleeker than the older Fortuner. I like this much better than the crysta.

Thanks to Abhinv Das for sharing the new Fortuner's brochure (not yet on Toyota's website).

Fortuner Brochure.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 4088204)
Thanks for the preview guys.
if Ford decides to slash prices on Titaniums by 1.5 lakhs or so, Toyota will have some figuring out at its end. A 3 lakh delta WILL lose them meaningful business to the blue oval.

Correct observations IMO, Axe. I will be able to speak out even more clearily once I test drive the new Fortuner myself. However, like I mentioned above, Endeavour seems to be a relatively more compelling package on offer for an enthusiast. Unfortunately, in our country, Kitna Deti Hai and Kitne ki Bikegi seems to be more important than the awesome time you can have during your own owership years with your vehicle (credit of this comment to original post by a BHPian I saw somewhere on our forum just a few days ago, not able to trace it now). So yeah, Toyota will win big time in sale numbers. lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4088212)
Thanks to Abhinv Das for sharing the new Fortuner's brochure (not yet on Toyota's website).

Thanks GTO. manishk123 shared it on previous page of this very thread a couple of hours back. Same guy?

Quote:

Its the kind of extra amount many people will blindly invest over and above the Endy just to get the Toyota instead.

Definitely.

Quote:

Financially speaking too, its quite possible you'll recover that difference (if not more) when you resell the Fortuner over the Endeavour.

This is exactly what a common car buyer thinks, and there is no arguing the logic behind this.

Quote:

...Titanium variants either start seeing a bit of discounting or undergo a slight price correction. ... if Ford decides to slash prices on Titaniums by 1.5 lakhs or so, Toyota will have some figuring out at its end. A 3 lakh delta WILL lose them meaningful business to the blue oval.

If Ford 'corrects' its prices again so early in the product's life cycle, they are sure to alienate at least some of their customers without winning over new ones in significant numbers. The general car buyer would simply ignore the Endeavour taking it for a failed product and go for the Toyota.

It is quite sad considering Ford has such a competitive - if not superior - product, and the market responded very favourably at its launch, but Ford goofed up by making prospective buyers wait with insulting delivery schedules and indifferent dealer attitude. Now whatever they do, the Endeavour shall have to play second fiddle to the Fortuner. What a waste of its first mover advantage!

The New fortuner gets launched

Petrol
2WD: 25.92
2WD AT : 27.67

Diesel
2WD MT : 27.52
2WD AT : 29.14

4WD MT:30.05
4WD AT:31.12

Edit: prices have been posted earlier, i seemed to have missed it
Prices in Lakhs ex-Delhi

Thanks for the crisp preview drive report from Team BHP Moderators.

Nice to see that Toyota has provided the higher tune of the 2.8 Diesel with Torque figure of 450 NM (Versus the 360 NM in the Innova Auto Transmission)

Disappointing that the Auto box still seems to have the same shortfalls as on the Innova, i.e. higher than required revs and Sluggish responses.

The more I look at this, the better the value of the Endeavour 3.2 4X4 AT Trend varient appears to be. Rs. 31.12 Lakhs for the Fortuner versus Rs. 25.93 Lakhs for the Endeavour (ex Delhi). This is a 5.2 Lakh difference ex-showroom, translating to a 6.5 Lakhs difference on road.

I think the top end 4X4 AT of the Fortuner can be considered roughly comparable to the Endeavour 3.2 4X4 AT Trend - the Toyota does not have the Sunroof, Semi-Auto Parking Assist etc. that the top end Endeavour Titanium has, so I think a comparison with Endeavour Trend is not too unreasonable. The Toyota does have 7 airbags and a few other extra features, but the Ford has a more powerful 5 cylinder engine on the other hand.

Thanks for the small drive report. Will you get a longer route to drive again?

Also, the diesel MT has 6 forward speeds right?
Pricing is interesting, especially considering that there's no lower variant. Only differences between the models are the engines and drive train options.