Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2017, 12:42   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Ciaz shifts to Nexa dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The 1.6 diesel engine in Ciaz was a rumour after all. The engine updates will be the in-house 1.5 petrol and 1.5 diesel engine (that is under development). The 1.5 petrol could be a reality soon.
I am actually confused. I think Maruti is delaying the plan. A very reliable birdie had spotted Ciaz with 1.6 DDIS inside Maruti plant few months back. But, Maruti has not told anything about 1.6 during the training for Nexa RM.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 12:46   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The 1.6 diesel engine in Ciaz was a rumour after all. The engine updates will be the in-house 1.5 petrol and 1.5 diesel engine (that is under development). The 1.5 petrol could be a reality soon.

Premium features most likely Sunroof, cruise control like thought earlier and modified front bumper. Not sure these will be immediately on moving to Nexa
I wonder how refined Suzuki's 1.5 diesel engine would be. They didn't have a great success with the two cylinder diesel engine on the Celerio. And do they really want to try a new 1.5 diesel engine on a Nexa car. I am doubtful. Either they should stick with Fiat's 1.3 MJD or the 1.6 MJD.
Old 18th March 2017, 12:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

I can assure you guys that the Ciaz was tested with 1.6 DDIS and 1.6L petrol way back in 2014, during its development phase. Why it wasn't eventually launched is something only MSIL can answer.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 12:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I am actually confused. I think Maruti is delaying the plan. A very reliable birdie had spotted Ciaz with 1.6 DDIS inside Maruti plant few months back. But, Maruti has not told anything about 1.6 during the training for Nexa RM.
There is no 1.6 L engine in the near future. As far as I understand, that engine has had its time in the sun with S-CROSS. The general consensus at Suzuki is that Indian masses still do not value displacement and power as compared to VFM. The 1.6 L would never be high VFM. So, my understanding is it has no future in Maruti future line up.
In fact Maruti would now have three engines in their future model line up,1.3 L FGT and VGT and Suzuki made 1.5L version. The next S-Cross, for which I understand, work has already started, is likely to feature a higher power version of the home brewed 1.5 L Diesel engine.
Carma2017 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:14   #95
BHPian

Agree. The sales numbers of the 1.6 indicate that it is not for the masses and the masses are not willing to pay 1.5 to 2 lakh extra just for the engine. However, it would have been different if they had produced the 1.6 engine in India and made it cost effective
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
There is no 1.6 L engine in the near future. As far as I understand, that engine has had its time in the sun with S-CROSS. The general consensus at Suzuki is that Indian masses still do not value displacement and power as compared to VFM. The 1.6 L would never be high VFM. So, my understanding is it has no future in Maruti future line up.
In fact Maruti would now have three engines in their future model line up,1.3 L FGT and VGT and Suzuki made 1.5L version. The next S-Cross, for which I understand, work has already started, is likely to feature a higher power version of the home brewed 1.5 L Diesel engine.
The 1.6 DDiS has to be produced in India to be cost effective. Else, it does not win the heart of the masses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I can assure you guys that the Ciaz was tested with 1.6 DDIS and 1.6L petrol way back in 2014, during its development phase. Why it wasn't eventually launched is something only MSIL can answer.
Suzuki have sure built the awesome K-series engine. Agree Celerio diesel with its loud noise was a failure but they would have learnt from their mistakes. Remember the Suzuki k-series engine is one of the best petrol engines today in India. Also Tata has been able to grow out of Fiat shadow and have their own diesel engine even in the Hexa SUV. So Suzuki should sure be able to build a better than Fiat diesel engine or at-least comparable
Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I wonder how refined Suzuki's 1.5 diesel engine would be. They didn't have a great success with the two cylinder diesel engine on the Celerio. And do they really want to try a new 1.5 diesel engine on a Nexa car. I am doubtful. Either they should stick with Fiat's 1.3 MJD or the 1.6 MJD.
Yes, I had heard about this also but looks like the 1.5 petrol is the new engine and not the 1.6 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:54   #96
Senior - BHPian

I think Maruti can get Fiat to manufacture the 1.6 locally considering the potential volumes of the ciaz and the S-cross.
When diesels are increasingly being turned down in favour of petrol why should Suzuki invest in an all new engine? They can use 1.6 from Fiat for the next 2-3 years, see how the market pans out and rather invest in a hybrid or something like that which can have a long term future.
Old 19th March 2017, 15:47   #97
BHPian

The only reason Suzuki is investing in diesel engines because in the near term they are going to drop the MJD from their portfolio and save on the royalty payments. BS VI compliance might also be a factor. Also, small diesels are still sought out even in Europe. So, India alone won't dictate that demand.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 20:32   #98
BHPian

Any idea what would be the changes apart from the engines?

From the spy shots it only seems that ciaz is going as-is to Nexa with the only change being the NEXA badging.

If it is going as- is, i fail to understand their strategy and how will they market it as a premium product given that it was being sold at the normal dealers.

Ideally there should atleast be some cosmetic changes, but from the spy shots, I dont see any
Old 20th March 2017, 20:55   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkamit View Post
Any idea what would be the changes apart from the engines?

From the spy shots it only seems that ciaz is going as-is to Nexa with the only change being the NEXA badging.

If it is going as- is, i fail to understand their strategy and how will they market it as a premium product given that it was being sold at the normal dealers.

Ideally there should atleast be some cosmetic changes, but from the spy shots, I dont see any
There are no changes even to the engine, only rebadge exercise!!

Ciaz was supposed to be sold through Nexa channel, but the infrastructure was not ready. Hence they are shifting to Nexa now. Nexa will have 2 hatches, 1 sedan and 1 cross over.
Old 20th March 2017, 21:00   #100
BHPian

I don't think the 'facelift' Ciaz is going to be a cosmetic facelift. Just a shift to Nexa with corresponding addition/ deletion/renaming of variants, new 1.5L petrol motor (?with CVT), addition of features like xenons and new HU with Carplay/ Android Auto on the top variant, adjustable driver armrest, rain-sensing wipers, auto headlamps.

If a cosmetic facelift were arriving, it would have been launched in China first or at least spied where the Ciaz sells as the Alivio.
Old 21st March 2017, 05:06   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
I don't think the 'facelift' Ciaz is going to be a cosmetic facelift. Just a shift to Nexa with corresponding addition/ deletion/renaming of variants, new 1.5L petrol motor (?with CVT), addition of features like xenons and new HU with Carplay/ Android Auto on the top variant, adjustable driver armrest, rain-sensing wipers, auto headlamps.

If a cosmetic facelift were arriving, it would have been launched in China first or at least spied where the Ciaz sells as the Alivio.
You are right Himanshu, the facelift will come to China first in 2018 before India. Suzuki will iron out any deficiency in China before launching the corrected package in India.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:01   #102
BHPian

They should add cruise control in this Nexa ciaz version. They already have it in the S-cross

Quote:
You are right Himanshu, the facelift will come to China first in 2018 before India. Suzuki will iron out any deficiency in China before launching the corrected package in India.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:50   #103
BHPian

Quote:
The version in China is very different, it gets a 1.6 INNOTEC petrol engine and a six-speed CVT, a 10 mm lower ground clearance, and has different suspension settings. This makes it a totally different config as compared to India mechanically. Maruti cannot rely on the feedback from the Changan-Suzuki Ciaz to iron out anything as the cars are entirely different.

Suzuki is relying on BOOSTERJET engines for the Chinese range. They have not offered the bigger K-Series engines in China and I'm positive that the 1.5 for the Ciaz will not be sold in China as the Chinese love their large displacement engines. So any testing or deficiency correction needs to be entirely from India.

The one other site which can help is Thailand, but there the car comes with a 1.25L engine (the Ciaz is an eco car) and it will stay that way.
Old 22nd March 2017, 05:16   #104
BHPian

• No engine update with Nexa shift
  • 'S' variant: Possible substitute for RS
  • Variants:

Maruti Ciaz shifts to Nexa dealerships-capture.jpg

Maruti Ciaz shifts to Nexa dealerships-0001.jpg

Maruti Ciaz shifts to Nexa dealerships-0002.jpg
Senna4Ever is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 18:13   #105
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleague booked a Baleno in December but has been waiting ever since, frustrated by Nexa's attitude he went to another MS dealer and he has offered a very juicy deal on petrol Ciaz as they are clearing stocks since they are moving to Nexa showroom. Interested people should check quickly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks