Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2018, 13:31   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra's Flagship SUV is likely to be called Mahindra Alturas G4 . Drops the alphanumeric name trend.

Link
Confirmed:

Mahindra Alturas SUV launch on November 26, 2018.

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd November 2018 at 13:39.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 08:36   #137
Senior - BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ovember-410334

The Y400 to be named Mahindra Alturas (meaning Heights) according to ACI. It's supposed to have a 244mm ground clearance, may that gives it the name. Oh, missed Volkman's post.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 4th November 2018 at 08:37.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 23:59   #138
BHPian

In the feature list , I do not see a tyre pressure monitor system available (TPMS)

This is available in Scorpio high end , XUV .
Not sure if this feature will be retained in Alturas
Old 5th November 2018, 10:12   #139
Senior - BHPian

Good looking car and a nice name. Last car with a similar name was the Baleno Altura ?

I don't know if its just me , but even in the pic that Volkman has posted above, the car gives an impression that it has a soft suspension ( the front looks a bit raised up and the rear a bit squat down ).

M&M possibly will deliver some good value in the pricing I suppose. Let's be clear - the Indian car buying public will go with Endy and Fortuner wherever affordability is not an issue. No one with the cash for those cars will buy the Alturas just because its cheaper.

This car will have its own set of buyers who possibly are ex- XUV/Scorpio/Storme/Aria owners. Folks who know these brands already and are prepared what to expect and are adventurous to do some bargain shopping in lieu of some pain value in ownership. This car would have been a strong contender in my short list if I was in the market ( given my preference to buy cars from Indian manufacturers first if a choice is available )

Given the expected pricing of Harrier at 16-21 lakhs on road ( rumoured and a post from GTO that claims that this is a leak at the higher end with actual price being lower ), one can expect the H7X to come in at maybe 18-23 lakhs or even 16-21 lakhs if the Harrier is indeed launched at a lower price. The Alturas will eventually be compared with the H7X, so it better deliver that kind of value and similar prices in my view and not gun for the Endy/Fortuner price range

Last edited by narayan : 5th November 2018 at 10:14.
narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 15:36   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The Y400 to be named Mahindra Alturas (meaning Heights) according to ACI. It's supposed to have a 244mm ground clearance, may that gives it the name.
Last gen Rexton had a Ground Clearance of 208mm.

Previous gen Fortuner had a GC of 221mm.

Current gen Fortuner & Endeavour both have 225mm GC.

By the looks of it this gen Rexton / Altura having 244mm GC seems unrealistic
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 15:40   #141
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Alturas G4??? Sounds more like a tyre name to my ears than a car's name. Wouldn't you agree?

Also, what's with the G4? That sounds more like a variant badge than a car name. Mahindra should have stuck to their "O"s in my opinion.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 15:49   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Following the latest trend bookings open before launch.

Quote:
Mahindra Alturas G4, pre-launch bookings have opened today.

Prices will be announced on November 24.
Link
Old 5th November 2018, 18:37   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra's Flagship SUV is likely to be called Mahindra Alturas G4 . Drops the alphanumeric name trend.
Not just the alphanumeric trend, but names ending with 'o' as well. "Alturas" does sound good, but I doubt how many people would remember it for long, unless they buy it.
sainyamk95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 18:48   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindra should have stuck to their "O"s in my opinion.
On a side note, given the rivals it has, we wouldn't want them to name it "Fortuno"
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 19:43   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Alturas G4??? Sounds more like a tyre name to my ears than a car's name. Wouldn't you agree?

Also, what's with the G4? That sounds more like a variant badge than a car name. Mahindra should have stuck to their "O"s in my opinion.
Well you do make the same lip shape when you say "O" or "4" so after all it is the same in that sense

Even I thought the G4 is a variant name. Besides that why have a name ending in a plural? There is the Nissan kicks but kicks is a commonly used work so it makes some sense. So one will be Alturas and two will makes it Alturases. And I don't like how that sounds. I guess that's where the G4 helps. "I saw a couple of G4s today" sounds a lot smoother and easier.

Off topic, but can anyone list any other car which is named in the plural?
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 20:32   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Alturas G4,

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-mahindraalturasindialaunchbookingsm.jpg

The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-mahindraalturasindialaunchbookingsrearm.jpg

Link1
The Mahindra Alturas G4. EDIT: Short reviews on page 30-2019mahindraxuv700indialaunchdate3.jpg

link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th November 2018 at 20:42.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 21:03   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
In the feature list , I do not see a tyre pressure monitor system available (TPMS)

This is available in Scorpio high end , XUV .
Not sure if this feature will be retained in Alturas
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
This car will have its own set of buyers who possibly are ex- XUV/Scorpio/Storme/Aria owners. Folks who know these brands already and are prepared what to expect and are adventurous to do some bargain shopping in lieu of some pain value in ownership.
Apart from being a rebranded Mahindra this car has nothing in common with the Scorpio or the XUV, except may be the grill. As such it cannot be compared to these cars. Owning it and maintaining it will be a different ball game. Mahindra was incompetent with the last version of the Rexton. It could be a hit or miss.

Coming to the name. We have more than 20 officially recognized languages apart from English, and thousands of dialects for each language. Why are Indian manufacturers struggling with foreign names. Why not name it say 'Oonchayi' or 'Aag' or 'Brahma' or 'Sher' or something! Every major manufacturer names their cars, ateast a few of them, in their local language. Why not make our language popular? Make people ask, 'what does the name mean'? Like how we are made to wonder what in the world 'Alturas' means!
SCORPION is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 21:52   #148
BHPian

The proportions look good, no M&M quirks visible, I'm guessing this sits above the XUV500 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Apart from being a rebranded Mahindra this car has nothing in common with the Scorpio or the XUV, except may be the grill. As such it cannot be compared to these cars. Owning it and maintaining it will be a different ball game. Mahindra was incompetent with the last version of the Rexton. It could be a hit or miss.

Coming to the name. We have more than 20 officially recognized languages apart from English, and thousands of dialects for each language. Why are Indian manufacturers struggling with foreign names. Why not name it say 'Oonchayi' or 'Aag' or 'Brahma' or 'Sher' or something! Every major manufacturer names their cars, ateast a few of them, in their local language. Why not make our language popular? Make people ask, 'what does the name mean'? Like how we are made to wonder what in the world 'Alturas' means!

In fact I wanted to start a separate thread to talk about this. Why do manufacturers try so hard to get weird sounding names that don't make any sense, do they try to find a local name that belongs to the country or its surrounding? I don't mean that all cars should have Desi names, absolutely not! but there are surely opportunities where the cars/bikes can be named with a localized name of a Place, person or event.

For example RE Himalayan is a well-chosen one for the purpose-built bike, so is Force Gurkha.

The Ladakh region itself might provide them with tons of options, do they see it

Some of the cars named after places internationally -

Chevy Colorado, Durango, Malibu, Bel Air
Hyundai Tucson, SantaFe
Dodge Tahoe
Toyota Tacoma
Kia Rio
Cadillac Eldorado
Skoda Kodiak

Even the Marque brands have a few

Bentley Mulsanne, Arnarge
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Rolls Royce Camargue
Maserati Sebring
Ferrari California, Daytona

Last edited by anand.shankar : 5th November 2018 at 21:58.
anand.shankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 22:14   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, what's with the G4? That sounds more like a variant badge than a car name.
I agree. That is probably the variant name.

Quote:
Mahindra should have stuck to their "O"s in my opinion.
I am guessing Mahindra may stick the "O"s in the their name to their own products and bring a different naming to Rexton based products? (Just to keep the brand difference?)

And also looks like they are gunning this release full steam up against the Harrier launch by trying to ride it in much earlier? (If its indeed Nov 26th as claimed in this thread)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 22:42   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra to rival Toyota's Fortuner!

Indian version of the next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) will be heavily localised and badged a Mahindra; Ssangyong brand to be dropped.

SsangYong LIV-2 concept at the Paris Motor show!
Attachment 1591675

Link
2.0 ltr engine producing 349 Nm of torque and 225 BHP of power. Waiting for the "just 2 ltr engine?" and "no low-end grunt" comments 😁
HighwayofLife is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks