Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2019, 17:53   #331
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.501 View Post
Sorry to stir it up a bit,
I was just dropping by to hear about some views on the reliability of the Chevy Cruze.
Would someone enlighten me on the availability of parts?
The actual ownership experience?
I am thinking of buying a used Manual LTZ (2015 and above).
I own a 2013 Cruze LTZ (Manual) and the car has been mechanically trouble free so far.
There has been a recent recall for replacement of the Driver side airbag (Takata is the supplier) and i got the same done through Orix (in Mumbai) and the entire process was completed in under 30 minutes and was handled very well for a company that has shut shop.
milin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 16:29   #332
BHPian

What about the Bangalore Chevrolet owners? The Trident Chevrolet showroom in Kalyan Nagar has shut down long ago and Renault has opened a showroom there. I’m not sure about other showrooms.
Bangalore @BHPians, please help!

One car has not been discussed as of yet: The Forester!
It had pathetic backup from dealers and Chevrolet itself while it was there in India. And now service is an even bigger problem now that it is not there. There used to be a mechanic in Trident Chevrolet who knew how to service Foresters but who knows where is he now.

@Mods, please feel free to move this to the appropriate thread. I could not think of another thread and hence have posted here.
Old 27th March 2019, 16:59   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
What about the Bangalore Chevrolet owners? The Trident Chevrolet showroom in Kalyan Nagar has shut down long ago and Renault has opened a showroom there. I’m not sure about other showrooms.
Bangalore @BHPians, please help!
The Kalyannagar Chevy showroom had indeed closed a long time back but the Chevy workshop was very much there behind the Renault showroom, and also a body shop located 5 minutes away.

I will find out what the status is - digging out my Chevy SA's contacts this evening.
Old 27th March 2019, 17:02   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The Kalyannagar Chevy showroom had indeed closed a long time back but the Chevy workshop was very much there behind the Renault showroom, and also a body shop located 5 minutes away.

I will find out what the status is - digging out my Chevy SA's contacts this evening.
Thanks a lot! The help is definitely appreciated Do PM me the address of the body shop.
Are there any official Chevrolet service centres still open in Bangalore? Do let us know if you have any information
Old 27th March 2019, 18:00   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup, just spoke to him - they are very much alive and kicking possibly till December 2019. I highly recommend this particular workshop as I have been their customers for upwards of 11 years!

Don't know about the Forester matter although I have seen Foresters being serviced when I still had my Cruze.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 17:50   #336
psn
BHPian

Update on My Cruze Ownership:
Total Kms Done: 72200 Kms. The car gave an error code 89. Everytime I would release the throttle, the car would rev up and start to go faster.
So I immediately, took it to the SC. Initially they reset the software but, upon immediate return of the problem, they have reached the conclusion that the ECM has failed.
I have sent the Service Center, the copies of my extended warranty and RC copy to initiate it to be covered under extended warranty.
Fingers crossed, as the reply for GM is awaited.
psn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 12:24   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
Total Kms Done: 72200 Kms. The car gave an error code 89. Everytime I would release the throttle, the car would rev up and start to go faster.
So I immediately, took it to the SC. Initially they reset the software but, upon immediate return of the problem, they have reached the conclusion that the ECM has failed.
I have sent the Service Center, the copies of my extended warranty and RC copy to initiate it to be covered under extended warranty.
Wats your model year?
Old 17th November 2019, 19:19   #338
BHPian

Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post

ECM failing below 1 Lac KMs is not an ideal situation.

The general issues like water ingress, rodent attack etc. are understandable but a general failure shows poor built quality or engineering.

ECM of a car of that segment would cost north of INR 1.5 lacs.

Would like to have an update on the GMs decision on the replacement.
Old 19th November 2019, 14:05   #339
psn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
ECM failing below 1 Lac KMs is not an ideal situation.

The general issues like water ingress, rodent attack etc. are understandable but a general failure shows poor built quality or engineering.

ECM of a car of that segment would cost north of INR 1.5 lacs.

Would like to have an update on the GMs decision on the replacement.
Thanks. The update is that the third party refused to cover this, as the dignosis report shared with them showed injector failure.
The company swapped the injectors, the error did not change, and the report continued to show failed injector 1 . As injector is not covered under warranty, they refused coverage.

GM on their part insisted that inspite of swapping the injectors, the error hasn't changed, therefore,the issue is not with the injector..

After a little discussion and me talking to the good people of GM, they agreed to put everything back as is and regenerate the error code and again share it with the concerned third party.

However, since putting the same ECM back, the error code has not come back. It is suspected that it may have been some loose connection, which caused the error message.

Since then it's been 4000kms, and the problem hasn't come back.
Keeping fingers crossed.

I would like to share, that the staff at Orange Chevrolet and the manager at Chevrolet, india, have been highly cooperative during the process.
psn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 11:03   #340
GTO
Team-BHP Support

CNBC on why The General failed in India:
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 20:11   #341
Senior - BHPian

Great Wall Motors takes over GM's Talegaon plant. Not surprising, and probably we are looking forward to more products from Great Wall ?

Link.

A few points from above link.

Quote:
China's Great Wall Motors (GWM) – which has recently confirmed its entry into the Indian passenger vehicle market with its brand, Haval – and General Motors (GM) has announced an agreement for the sale of GM India’s Talegaon manufacturing facility, subject to requisite government and regulatory approvals.
Under a binding term sheet signed yesterday, the GM India legal entity, which includes the Talegaon facility, will transfer to GWM.
“Great Wall Motors will officially debut its Haval brand and GWM EV at the Delhi International Auto Show, and launch its Indian market plan.”
GM will provide a separation package and transition support for the employees the move has had an impact on, as well as an orderly transition for partners. The transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2020.
Chevrolet will continue to honour all warranties and provide aftersales support, including ongoing service and parts requirements for existing customers in India.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 17th January 2020 at 20:14.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 01:52   #342
Senior - BHPian

Final nail in the coffin. GM finally packing it's bags and leaving India for good
Old 18th January 2020, 14:17   #343
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean that they will stop producing cars for export as well ? The Beat/Spark is still the 2nd most exported car from India
Old 18th January 2020, 16:44   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Does this mean that they will stop producing cars for export as well ? The Beat/Spark is still the 2nd most exported car from India
Yep! Why not improve the utilisation of an existing factory in Mexico or South America instead? GM did not want the the negative publicity of job losses if the factory ws shut down in case they eat to sell cars again(not that they really be that successful again!).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks